Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
My wife and I were batting around possibilities for the engineer friend and she hit on the one I now hope for the most; given Helen Cho's role in Age of Ultron and the show doing a fair amount of callbacks there, we just really want them to go meet up with Monica's buddy and find out he's smarmy teenaged super genius Amadeus Cho. Unfortunately if he was in play, he'd be one of the first people to call into a situation like the Hex in the first place, so the likelihood's pretty low.

still way higher than reed richards c'mon people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Spacebump posted:

He could have easily set up an Avengers foundation that funds the team.

if only there was an avenger known for his short-sightedness and how often that comes back to haunt him and the people he cares about

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Loki, Darcy, and the Looney Tunes portal fight at the end make Dark World way more watchable and good than the credit that it’s given; Malekith being the single most Nothing waste of a villain tends to amplify its flaws, but it’s way drat better as a film than Iron Man 2 is.

Iron Man 2 has Elon Musk in it, it will never be surpassed as worst Marvel movie.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Nutt posted:

The Musk thing indeed taints the movie and is embarrassingly out of place having recently rewatched, but Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer means it cannot possibly be the worst Marvel movie.

Yeah, it’s the real Schroedinger’s Worst. At the very least Hammer showed up briefly in Hail to the King and I’ll pretty much riot if he’s not in Armor Wars (unless Rockwell demurs if offered). Once we get Hammer relinquished from IM2 exclusivity I will become only more entrenched and belligerent on this stance.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

For the most Bang for your Buck, you want Winter Soldier and Civil War. The post credits scene for Black Panther has a little bit of story, and Infinity War and Endgame will have a couplea Bucks for you too.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

As you'd expect; Winter Soldier is 100% "carrying out his programming by any means necessary" whereas Bucky has to actually think things through and consider collateral.

Superhero power fluctuations and rankings are some of the best pointless nerd poo poo. I love them so much. "Hulk is as strong as he is mad and he has an infinite capacity for being mad". Just feed it to me with a firehose.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Boxman posted:

Such as James Spader having the time of his goddamn life playing that robot.

Age of Ultron deserves all the poo poo it gets, but goddamn James Spader is so good in it.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm just trying to understand exactly how much this setting is a fantasy universe with fantasy inflected politics, or if it's the real world with real politics. Because it can't be both.

Marvel comics basically exist as we know them because they wanted to add real world issues and concerns to the fantasy universe of superheroes. That absolutely doesn’t mean they nail the intersection of those things all the time but it’s kinda baked into the DNA. X-men is an awful metaphor for racism and bigotry and civil rights, but drat if they haven’t beaten that drum forever.

Going further than skin deep on those issues is going to make plenty of people feel that one domino too far has fallen and now the whole thing doesn’t make any sense, though that tension between reality and fantasy will vary from person to person. I like the bank scene as it is because even if the logic isn’t airtight it gets across the point they’re making; I absolutely do not love Madripoor pretty much being yanked straight out of its original inception and being plopped into 2021 because FOREIGN CRIME CITY SCARY makes a lovely point and “it’s a result of the snap” doesn’t feel nearly as “alright yeah I buy that” as the attack on New York bringing back 1980s Hell’s Kitchen did for the Netflix shows.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Azhais posted:

The best bugs bunny vs elmer fudd cartoon

Shoot Em Up, Crank 2, and Drive Angry make up my personal action movie Trilogy of Taste. Can we be friends if you don’t enjoy them? Sure. But not best friends.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

My partner literally could not watch me play the Avengers game demo when that dropped because she found Kamala’s stretching and growing so viscerally unpleasant, so hopefully they figure something out for the show!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Desperado Bones posted:

And speaking of couples....Where's Betty Ross? She's like a big deal in Hulk's canon. Do they have rights problems with the character? I've been curious of how would be the chemistry between Liv Tyler and Mark Ruffalo.

Since she’s already in Spider-Man and has swigged generously from the fountain of youth they should just re-re-cast Betty back to Jennifer Connelly.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

I keep trying, but nobody wants to "yes, and" my bullshit about Peggy Carter's babies being born with little shields.

Do you think having Morgan in her tiny little suit is why Pepper got really into downstairs-herbal-therapy?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

William Jackson Harper should be Reed Richards and I will take no further questions.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Good. I am exhausted by the sheer number of 30-60 second spots they churn out for each of these series. I watch whatever first one comes out and then just let the next twenty float on by, but they still clog up my youbers algorithm.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

We also still need to see her postman

I was so proud of my non comic reading but MCU-obsessed wife getting her very own Mephisto moment when she asked “wait, isn’t the silver surfer a messenger who visits apocalypses?”

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

mutata posted:

Marvel at the time swore up and down that woman characters don't sell. We were making the Marvel Disney Infinity at the time and there was massive pushback to any female character we tried to make a toy of.

goddamn i wish disney hadn't tanked infinity. those are genuinely some of my favorite nerd hummels, i loving love the designs of basically every single figurine and the game was a lot more fun than most of the lego collectashits.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Phylodox posted:

The good news is that every once in a while a bunch of old figures will get dumped in my local dollar stores and I can pick them up for a couple of bucks. Got nineteen that way so far, including most surprisingly Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Mail, and Captain America.

I've got a pretty huge collection (my then girlfriend now wife got me a mega pack at one of our first christmasses together) and they overlook our living room from the top of our bookshelves. I should pull out a collection sheet and nab the 15-20 that I don't have at some point before it becomes really hard.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

The Loki Simpsons short is also up. It’s actually kinda cute.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Spacebump posted:

I hope we see more of Gator Loki in the future

I hope that they eat Miss Minutes and then return to the Void to chase around President Loki

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

counterpoint one time tasky was headed for a bad situation so he spent the time before hand cramming a bunch of kung fu and action movies

on fast-forward

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Overall thumbs up on the series, and Sophia di Martino is a good actress, but for me she’s a rare major casting misstep for the MCU — or at least directorial misstep. At almost no point did she give off any feeling or energy of being Loki in any of Hiddkeston’s portrayal of the character. Obviously a big part of the point is that they are completely different people with different goals and desires, but I think that philosophical difference between them would have worked a lot better if they felt more in-sync through the rest of the series. She simply didn’t feel like a variation on Loki so much as a completely unique character from the very beginning; Richard E Grant played the role in a way that felt very “yeah, I could see Hiddleston’s Loki aging into this” by comparison. It’s not a bad choice or portrayal so much as it’s one that didn’t work for me at all; I think spending some flashback time with her would’ve gone a long way toward establishing why she is so different (more of the showing versus telling us about her apocalyptic hopping traumas) as well as making it more clear that Loki’s infatuation is pretty one sided. Or just making her more of a direct Enchantress adaptation rather than being “a Loki”.

Also I’m not just sour because I wanted Jaimie Alexander to be Lady Loki not at all.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Or the current miniseries Thor and Loki Double Trouble which is extremely adorable.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

If you’re interested in What If? but also want something with core characters and continuity you might also like Exiles which is essentially Marvel’s Sliders, following a ragtag group of characters from the multiverse going to various realities issue to issue.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

im begging you dinseyplus please stop releasing thirty trailers for every show this candle budget is too far gone

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Desperado Bones posted:

All I know is that Hiddleston did VA for this Pirate Fairy movie.

Hiddleston's surprisingly fun in that playing a whimsical and idealistic young pirate.

just a random whimsical idealistic young pirate they decided needed to be voiced by tom hiddleston yeah

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

everyone knows the real mcu dick action is that they had to cgi out the hiddleshog from the first thor because he was having a real goddamn bowie in labyrinth situation with his costuming

i don't know how tom doesn't open every single interview with "my dick's so big they had to hire a vfx team for it"

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If the last episode didn’t hand-cuffed the previous 7, I would have much preferred to see a Star Wars Vision approach where each story is handled by a different studio and given more liberty in terms of art direction. Or say gently caress it and have the last episode play the same but with very distinct art styles clashing as an indication of how different the universes are.

This is my biggest personal what if for What If. I really wish every episode got to have its own completely distinct style.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

There are two kinds of people; those who have seen Spectacular Spider-man and those who can enjoy literally any other Spider-man animated series.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

The only parts of Spider-Man Reign I remember are the radioactive death cum and the incredibly poignant scene where Sandman accidentally kills his own daughter. Truly it is a land of contrasts.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

i for one love watching every single entry in a series of things that i have never enjoyed mmmm-mm

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

I’ve said it before, but Exiles is the superior form of What If? and if there is any justice we’ll get our superhero Sliders show at some point.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah it's not wild that a lot of people saw Endgame as an "I'm good" dropping off point; if you stop there, you get your closure, you don't gotta keep up anymore, you're off Mr. Bones' Wild Ride. But enough people are invested that they wanna see the epilogues for the characters (or prologues in Widow's case), and they'll check out the new and unproven stuff, and some of that stuff is gonna hit hard and make some of the lapsed or more casual fans go "well alright, I gotta go check out the stuff I skipped now".

Like they're going to have to try very, very hard to not make Blade a huge drat deal given how beloved the original is, and if you have to go check out Moon Knight or something 'cause it ends up being related, the dominoes just get set up all over again.

Having it all in One Convenient Place with Disney+ and having those little recap videos just makes it easier than ever to get on board the train. It's going to take a loooot of fatigue to kill the MCU.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

:mods:

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Who should play Victor Von Doom?

Javier Bardem

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I've said it before but Michael Shannon as Doom, just having the eyes showing would be enough.

Michael Shannon also meets my criteria.

My criteria is “can this actor speak in caps lock”

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

As a Marvel movie I found MoM kinda mid, but as a Sam Raimi fan I was happy the entire time.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

unless you're the one directing it

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

oh my god shut the gently caress up about star wars

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Kenobi Nobi Boi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

You try comin' up with your own ideas when you're already too busy bangin' Kirby's wife.