Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

cant cook creole bream posted:

As I have never heard the English Kermit voice, this one is now the canonically correct one for me.

:what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I like the Season 3 Daredevil reference Matt made about his hearing. Uh, his echolocation.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

live with fruit posted:

There's been rape in Star Wars?

Depends on what you think Jabba the Hutt is physically capable of. Best not to think about it too hard, probably.

Anyhooooo

That was a great finale and I chortled a whole bunch. The bit where the Intellegencia were all "I don't hate She-Hulk because she's a FEMALE, I would have equal criticism if she was a man" etc, is exactly what big ole dummies in shitposting groups say. They must be furious, if they even watched that far.

Hope to see more Shulkie.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A.o.D. posted:

It wasn't for eliminating evil Kangs, it was for eliminating the possibility of any alternate version of Kang arising.

Yes, eliminating the possibility of alternate Kangs is the only way to be sure.

That was the good Kang.

Steve Yun posted:

I know that we like to make fun of white people for saying they can’t tell Asians apart, but there were two Asian women in the writers room and I couldn’t tell which one was Jessica Gao

The one on the left.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Only if it’s Hailee Steinfeld in a blonde wig.

Is Hawkeye in disguise in that one?

Anyway... I liked it better when Johnny Blaze had escaped the curse, and was still a big player in Danny Ketch's Ghost Rider book. Still plenty for Nick Cage to do!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Where the gently caress is Citizen V? :mad:

I didn't want to be the first to say it but yes exactly where the gently caress is Citizen V?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Doc Sampson.

I mean, he'd be a wonderful Wonder Man, but I guess that's taken, so...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

swickles posted:

Mr. Sinister or bust.

Yes PLEASE!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Pratt and Gunn both already addressed them online. Pratt says that he's no longer part of that church (which was only related to Hillsong, not actual Hillsong) and is less enthused about organized religion, and hates the rumor mill because his kids are going to grow up and inevitably read nasty things about them online. Gunn says Pratt has never been anything but good to everyone on set.

chitoryu12 posted:

He's done some poo poo like post a terrible poem about how he doesn't agree with either political party and just wants us all to get along, and he's got a brother who's a Three Percenter that he's shown up at parties with. But this is his recent interview:

None of that matters. Blood is in the water.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If you translate Groot's language into English it's actually nonstop kvetching about Gameboy framerate issues and just wanting to emulate with a Raspberry Pi instead so he can use a mouse like The Root Liege (pbut] intended.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I felt Finn Jones was great at that version of Danny. They were doing something with him I felt some people didn't really take the time to look for because they didn't like that a non-Asian was doing a fisticuffs, let alone one that was poorly choreographed. He's a big ol' well meaning but unintentionally rude doofus, which is very different from Shang-Chi.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's like the Gift of the Magi for bits, which is seasonally appropriate, too!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Skrulls are not a monolith.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe it's because the forums have permanently tainted my brain but I always assume an extremely negative person about media is British for some reason.

At this point I don't pay much attention to trailers for comic stuff any more, I'm a huge mark and a weirdo anyway so there's no need to get worked up over what they're trying to imply, at least to me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Remember, that was the good variant of Kang.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Willam Jackson Harper WOULD make a good Reed.

Gave William Jackson Harper a bit part: -572826 points.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I bet that most of those alternate futures Strange saw were non viable because in the One True Continuity, deviation from the Sacred Timeline results in a reset by the TVA.

Things can and have developed any number of ways since the TVA messed up their one job.

It would be cool if one of the more metaphysical shows/movies addressed this down the line. There are now variant universes where they all talked it out, for instance.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Only East Asians know Kung-Fu, and only Romani are circus performers. Someone's gonna say this and be completely earnest about it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rockstar Massacre posted:

time travel plots are innately stupid and as soon as Endgame broached the subject it was a bad omen

that said Loki was pretty clear that the TVA is just a tool for Kang to keep othet Kang's in check, they don't actually keep the multiverse from branching or whatever. the 'sacred timeline' is just where He Who Remains comes from, timelines that involve other Kangs are the ones that get pruned, timelines that lead to Kang not being a multiverse hopping tyrant or just not existing at all are probably fine.

the show doesn't explain this because there's no way to talk about time travel in your time travel plot without half or more of the audience arriving at a different understanding of the concept than each other or the writers. time travel sucks.

It's this, but ALSO your subjective reality is the only current reality. If you've been pruned you would never know it, therefore you're not pruned. Everything that exists exists because of the things that came before it, story-wise. Which also depends on when you saw it.

So you see, the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

I'm presuming that Feige/Disney are going to avoid that, since they have avoided the more obvious Spiderman villains and arcs that have been done to death in other stuff before on film. Which means that instead of evil telepath Jean Grey, we get evil telepath Charles Xavier! Look foward to the X-Men movies building up to an Onslaught movie :hellyeah:

:rock:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Xmens first story should be Hellfire club right from the comics; Shaw and the rest have their frock coats and knickers, Emma is there, Those creepy uniformed soldiers so wolverine can carve them up, all that.

Second movie could be Brood Saga, or maybe The Mkran stuff with D'ken.

Straight to Age Of Apocalypse. With no attempts to revisit it like they did with the comics the MCU could finally do the best story and not gently caress with it later.

Guess when I started reading comics. Go on, you'll never guess.

No Chamber, no thank you!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Long Division would have a super-long Sephiroth katana... and he would always show his work, that's another reason why he's so gross.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They have to humanize the bad guys and make them sympathetic, because it's extremely problematic to punch down on marginalized people, which is pretty much required to become a supervillain.

It neatly sidesteps the unpleasant elephants in the room.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Arist posted:

Agents of Shield isn't high art or anything but it's solid, fun pulp nonsense

Season 4 is the best season, but 7 is also real good

Because Ghost Rider, yes. :hai:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I gave up on AoS after 2 seasons. The first season was pretty bad up until the very well executed twist alongside Winter Soldier and the second season was decent but not decent enough for me to keep watching.

The first half of the first season?

That's all explained. He was in Tahiti.

It's a magical place.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

Yeah Falcon & Winter Soldier was amazingly forgettable in general. Like there were a lot of moments that stick out in my mind but I couldn't tell you the actual plot if you put a gun to my head

Some guy figured out how to make Super Soldier Serum and then he got killed for being too smart, now there are a couple vials loose in the MCU. John Walker and the Flag Smashers (whose leader, also named Flag Smasher, is a lady with understandable grievances as this is the MCU and nobody is allowed to be pure evil) got some, becoming Super Soldiers, and also Sharon Carter basically runs Madripoor as the Shadow Broker.

Zemo has a lot of dance moves, is out of line, but he's right (about some things) and is in it too, being delightful. The super soldier serum guy was working for him or connected somehow.

Also Batroc was in it and got shot and died.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Stop trying to make Doom happen! It's fetch that you want it to happen, but it's not going to until Kang is over.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Everyone posted:

Marc Evan Jackson as Bradford "Of course I'm not a supervillain" Buzzard as Doctor Doom.

Doctor Doom is... from Earth.

Perfect.

A.o.D. posted:

Importantly, this was not the only time Doom successfully took over the world. One time Magneto approached Doom with a world conquest offer and Doom was all like "lol, already did" and proceeded to prove it by making Magneto kneel.

Doom and Strange saved everyone when the multiverse was destroyed. It was a cool story and Miles Morales gave some dude a cheeseburger so he got to not be destroyed forever like the rest of the Ultimate Marvel Universe.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They need to have the guy who plays NoHo Hank play DOOM.

DOOM wears the mask because of his alopecia. All children in Latveria have a bedtime; so says DOOM!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bonk posted:

But can the MCU can make a version of Sentry's giant goofy S belt that looks cool?

Just say it's a "symbol of optimism" and really commit to the bit.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

There was a second season of Iron Fist? S1 was dire, I gave up in the first few episodes. And I really like Iron Fist in the comics

I've said it a million times and I'll say it a million times more:

Danny Rand and Iron Fist was excellent. Having Danny be this disrespectful megadoofus is the only way to have Iron Fist in a recognizable way.

No, he shouldn't be an Asian dude, that just reinforces the stereotype that all Asians know and are masters of Kung Fu.

And no, he should not be portrayed as a white savior, either.

Portraying Danny as a well meaning but rude megadoofus is the only way you can have it and still have it be Iron Fist while avoiding old-fashioned racism. It lets his supporting characters like Colleen shine even more.

IMHO, obviously.

Fight scenes needed to be be better, obviously.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

Or just have literally anyone other than "White dude" or "Asian person" play Danny, because other ethnicities and genders exist. As of Brubaker and Fractions run (which pre-existed the show and Netflix acknowledged in several small ways), there's even an established lineage of other Iron Fists, many of whom are not native to K'un-Lun itself either, like Danny. Have it be a Black dude, or a Latin woman or whatever. A person of a different ethnicity could easily be called Danny, and even a woman could be Danni. Almost any choice you make is probably going to have some problematic allusions (a Black person could be viewed as tying to Blaxploitation stuff for instance), but even then you could still subvert it in some way. Including having them be a doofus, just as something other than a White guy. It's also probably worth acknowledging that even if there are possible racist allusions that maybe that doesn't actually matter, because you could say the same thing about Shang Chi, and I don't know that I've ever seen someone talk about that being racist. I'm sure some people were, but it definitely doesn't define the film. Which is probably because there was a significant Asian presence not just in the cast, but in the production of the film.

Or poo poo, just keep Danny as a White guy but just don't make him a "White Savior" figure. Which you could do in a variety of ways, primarily by just not having Danny and Danny alone save K'un-Lun itself in some way by his presence. You could also portray him as a second plus generation native to K'un-Lun itself, rather than having been found outside it as a kid; since that's really not that important to the character overall. Not even to his rivalry with Davos, since his jealousy can be rooted in being the son of the Thunderer, and thus automatically deserving of more, and not Danny being an outsider specifically. Rand Corporation can be tied to family that didn't go to K'un-Lun several generations back, with him finding them after leaving or something. Or to a father that ran from K'un-Lun, with Danny feeling that said father abandoned him and being bitter about it.

Have the first season take place entirely in K'un-Lun and portray it as ethnically diverse because it has appeared in a variety of places around the world over the millenia, with someone else as the current Iron Fist, but who is pretty old. K'un-Lun is not in trouble in any way, shape or form, but the heavenly championship with the other cities is coming up and K'un-Lun needs a new champion to represent it. Not save it, just represent it. The season could show Danny being humbled but eventually growing into the role, and representing K'un-Lun in a martial arts tournament against a variety of others, where he could lose some fights and still win in the end. Or just be part of an overall plan along with all the other champions to stop some kind of scheme like in the comics if you do want to raise the stakes beyond the small personal stakes in a martial arts championship. He would then step into the second season where he ventures from K'un-Lun into the the world at large not as a savior, but just as another martial artist who will eventually be a hero in a generic superhero sense and not specifically as a White Savior who is propping up the Asian society he represents, because it would demonstrably be fine without him and there are lots of other people of every other ethnicity there anyway; including other White people.

Or have Danny himself abandon K'un-Lun after winning an internal tournament to become Iron Fist, which he wanted not because of what it represented, but because being the Iron Fist gave him the lee way to leave and thus he can chase down the father he feels abandoned him in the outside world or something. At which point he's not a hero of any kind to K'un-Lun, but actively abandoning it and betraying it in order to pursue selfish desires. Something he can grow out of eventually, but which definitively puts him outside being a White Savior to K'un-Lun, especially if someone else from there has to step up in his absence.

drat, you really just don't want Danny to be a white dude, huh.

Fair enough I guess though I disagree with your opinion.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

How old is that? Why are they so loving insistent that he be a straight white dude?

Why are you so insistent that he not be?

Can you provide a list of acceptable characters?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about?

:jerkbag:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ming-Na picks fun projects for fun people who haven't died inside to watch. She's literally a canary in the coal mine of media.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

Canaries served as a warning that bad poo poo was going to happen though.

And Ming-Na is fine, all the shows she's been in are good to begin with and better for having her on them. Keep up!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are a few returning characters, mainly the CIA guy from both Black Panther movies, and then Talos from Captain Marvel/cameo in Spider-Man Far From Home, and of course Rhodey

Everett Ross is a great character but I feel that they missed a lot of his comedy potential in the MCU. I really, really enjoyed Christopher Priest's run on Black Panther, he's one of the all time greats as far as I'm concerned. It's a crime nobody ever optioned Quantum & Woody.

EDIT:DOUBLE the crime if they optioned it and didn't do anything with it. That's how option crime works, folks. Trust me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

No, don't you understand? The human mind simply cannot comprehend that a fictional character is played by a different guy.

You say this in jest, but this is actually the level at which... many, many people seem to operate. Well, the loud ones on Internet anyway.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I just saw Quantumania, it was pretty good.

I don't think some people are meant to be happy. I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

Also Luis isn't there.

I kept hoping for a post-credits scene. I kept hoping he would show up.

I go into these movies and shows expecting some Interconnected Serial Comic Book Fun, not Citizen Kane. I am rarely disappointed.