Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

sticklefifer posted:

It's weird how the casting of Tatiana Maslany as She-Hulk started as a leak from some random source, then months later she came out and said herself that it was just some weird rumor and she had nothing to do with it, and now they've officially announced her. Was she just being cagey, or did they not have the role cast yet and then pursued her after fan support of the rumor? Either way I'm really happy for her getting a role that big, I'm still amazed she managed to play like 15 distinct characters on Orphan Black.

Her denying having the part was almost certainly a case of the contract not being officially signed and/or her being cagey because Marvel wanted to make the official announcement at the investor call. I don't remember which of the Hollywood trades broke the story originally, but the Deadline/THR/Variety troika generally doesn't make poo poo up the way the cottage industry of superhero clickbait sites do. They have actual sources, like agents and studio executives. So it's possible her agent wanted to get the news out to show off how good they are, or whatever, just Hollywood politics as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Looks like critics got to see the first three episodes of WandaVision this weekend.

https://twitter.com/CharlesPulliam/status/1347951511477907459

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

No, it is sort of nonsensical, I think the main reason it's there is to have Tony in the suit doing something related to turning on the arc reactor, but away from Stark Tower so we can get an establishing shot of the tower powering up. And also that nifty scene of Tony taking off the armor when he gets back.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I get why people think the beekeeper was aim, but I'm thinking that's a misdirect and it was just how the unreality of setting interpreted a SWORD agent in a hazmat suit trying to break in. Or you know, I'm totally wrong.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Marvel has to date said nothing about what sort of connective thread is going to run through the upcoming slate. Kang seems like a safe bet because he's Kang, but for right now the focus appears to be on the individual movies and not on the build up to the next Avengers film, whatever that might be.

And the Russos have said they're done, but that they'd be willing to come back for Secret Wars. Of course that could've been a joke because they think Secret Wars is too silly to be made into a movie or something.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

One thing I learned from the Vanity Fair WandaVision podcast is that not only is the next episode a Family Ties riff, it's specifically a riff on the Tom Hanks episode, where Hanks plays the fun uncle who turns out to be an alcoholic and drinks a bottle of vanilla extract because it's the only booze in the house. Which leads me to think the uncle has to be Pietro, right? Or is that too literal?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Klungar posted:

I guess I was thinking they both were progeny of the Mind Stone to an effect but Ultron actually didn’t have any relation to the Mind Stone, did he?

Sure he did. Tony found an AI in either Loki's scepter, or the Mind Stone itself, and turned that into Ultron.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

For all the movie's faults, Age of Ultron really did have the best explanation of Wanda's powers. "She's weird."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Banner references it in Avengers as well. "I broke Harlem"

More importantly though, it was produced by Kevin Feige as the second movie in Marvel's initial foray into self-financed movie production, which is really the central definition of the MCU.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Elsa Bloodstone is one of those D-list characters that's kind of just popped up all over the place now. She was randomly in the last Jessica Jones comic series. There's a big mystery about low level super-ladies getting offed by a serial killer and all of a sudden, there's Elsa and Jessica fighting fish-men under the 59th St bridge

Kelly Thompson really likes Elsa and uses her in her books every chance she gets.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

AngryBooch posted:

With the way the acting head of SWORD was asking relatively forcefully about if Wanda has ever had a codename or callsign, it makes me think he's an imposter or possibly from another universe where she is known as the Scarlet Witch. It also makes me wonder if they'll finally give her the moniker. I can't recall if she was ever referred to as a Witch in AOU but I don't think she was.

I figured it out, he's driving that home because only the good guys (more or less) have code names in the MCU. So by emphasizing that she doesn't have a code name he's reinforcing the notion that Wanda is bad

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Meanwhile, I highly doubt this is how they do mutants in the MCU. When they bring in mutants it's going to be proper mutants, children of the atom, genetic evolutionary species, blah blah yada yada. It's not gonna be "science/magic experiment gone wrong, all of them from a random town in New Jersey" like what seems to be happening with Monica. Like they're not gonna have Psylocke or Wolverine be from Westview, y'all.

Yeah, that's my feeling too. When they do get around to making an X-Men movie my bet is it will be the classic kid shows up as a new student at the Xavier School story and I don't think that works if mutants have just poofed into existence.

And hand to god I though MitM debuted in the late 90's.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I don't think that's a requirement at all. Spider-Man pretty much just poofed into existence and it's fine because everyone knows who he is. The next most well known Marvel characters are probably the X-Men.

Well yeah, I don't think Marvel has to come up with some elaborate justification (say Wanda poofing them into existence) for why mutants show up the MCU.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Darth Brooks posted:

When Marvel begins making X-Men movies they need to start with the five kids and Professor X. Spend at least three movies with that cast before adding in Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler (maybe Banshee) and sometime later add Kitty Pride and then the many, many mutants there are currently.

It doesn't have to be the O5, but starting with the school and Professor X does feel like the way they'll approach it. It might be Jean, it might be Kate, hell it might be Goldballs, but it's going to start with somebody's first day at the school.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

swickles posted:

I think they would get more success out of doing shows like this as bridges between big theatrical releases. I don't know how this would go on, but I could see the Falcon and Winter Soldier kind of going, or changing to be like mini-series, letting us see newer and different team ups. The only thing I could see being a regular thing is if they brought in an Agents of SHIELD like show.

I suspect they'll do a blend where shows like WandaVision and Secret Invasion feel like one offs, but Ms. Marvel I could definitely see being an ongoing series, She Hulk too if they go hard into the law comedy case of the week stuff.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

tsob posted:

I'm kind of wondering how they'll work around how someone else even becomes Black Panther after T'Challa's demise in the story, given that Killmonger burned all the heart shaped herb and T'Challa ingested the last one. They'll probably say that was just one colony in the royal palace, and T'Challa was able to discover another or nurture more due to his spiritual connection or something, but they don't really seem like something that'd be growing wild (or there'd be at least one other Black Panther running around after finding some of them) and there's no reason the palace would have multiple plantations of them but only burn one on the king's orders. It might even tie in to the narrative, with the next ruler needing both to fight for the throne and to find some heart shaped herb to truly become ruler.

The idea that a society as technologically advanced as the Wakandans would only have a single point of failure for something as important to their culture as the heart shaped herb seems a little hard to believe. Seems to me like it would be pretty straightforward to say that they had a seed bank or something as a backup, and it just never came up in the movie because it's a superfluous detail that doesn't really add anything to the film.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

seaborgium posted:

Wait, was there a live action one or are you talking about the animated one she was a part of?

Vayntrub was actually both! In addition to the failed New Warriors pilot, she was the voice of Squirrel Girl in Marvel Rising.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I saw some people complaining that is not her costume, but I am pretty sure a body suit with hips cut out isn't practical for filming.

Diana Rigg pulled it off.

But seriously, it's a good costume that works for the character.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

Honestly, the writers should of basically kept it to all sentient life because "half of all life of all species" seems like the ecological devastation is too much. Also, i think they could of explored a little bit that Thanos didn't put himself in the random genocide because he clearly used the stones to survive. I KNOW why he had to from a narrative stand point but it would of been an interesting way to end his quest.

My recollection is that everyone at Marvel says that Thanos didn't exclude himself, he just got lucky with the coin toss.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Alternatively its even possible that nearly 20 years after Buffy went off the air its supporting characters aren't really registering that way in casting decisions.

Emma Caulfield also starred in Timer, which Jac Shaeffer wrote and directed. And I believe Caulfield has said that Shaeffer asked her to be on the show, so Shaeffer's doing Caulfield a solid by giving her a cameo, or there are plans for Dottie.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah but Whedon's fallen out with MCU for awhile even before all his current troubles and I don't remember him getting any of the other Buffy people in roles? Maybe I forgot some?

Most of the Whedon alums popped up in Agents of Shield. Of the top of my head they brought in J August Richards, Ron Glass, Amy Acker, Dichen Lachman, and of course Enver (who did also have that bit part in Avengers). Plus Whedon said that he was going to cast Cobie Smulders as Diana in his Wonder Woman movie so that's probably why she wound up being Maria Hill.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

tsob posted:

Falcon & The Winter Soldier will have multiple villains between Baron Zemo, Sin and apparently US Agent, but US Agent may not even have a major role in the story given that I don't think he's even appeared in any of the trailers or spots yet.

He has, just not head on. He's the dude running out onto the football field

It's also an interesting choice of marching band there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Regarding Dottie, this could mean nothing, or it could be something, but Vanity Fair's Still Watching podcast was going to interview Caulfield last week as part of their WandaVision coverage, but were told it would be better if they held off until this week. Which could be down to Caulfield just not being in episode 8 at all, or it's because she has something big happen in the finale.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Ror posted:

I wonder who else they'll bring into Young Avengers since they definitely need more young superheroes.

America Chavez is in Dr Strange 2 as well.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

iirc, they used magic rocks.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly, Wiccan and Speed being Wanda's kind of sort of reincarnated kids is the least interesting thing about them and is mostly referenced when writers want to make "Boy aren't comics weird?" jokes, and if they are going to use the, for a movie or a show it might be for the best to excise that in the interest of streamlining the characters.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Wanda is not a police officer

If you come at the Queen you best not miss. Agatha hosed with her and her kids and got let off easy tbh. If I was a god-witch I would probably have kamehameha'd her or something

I know eye for an eye retributive justice isn't great, but what Wanda did to Agatha was exactly what Agatha was going to do to Wanda, only without condemning the rest of Westview to the same fate.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sivart13 posted:

I was surprised the Assembled didn't make a single mention of covid. There's a single shot near the end where every non-speaking character is wearing a mask (45:35), but all the shots before and after they have no masks.

There's interviews where the creators talk about how they would've done that scene differently if not for shooting restrictions, and I want to know the story there! How late was that scene filmed? Did people have to get tested? Was the original idea for all the townspeople to dogpile onto Wanda, or just cough frequently?

Actually you can see plenty of people wearing masks all throughout the doc. I'm a little fuzzy on all of the production details, but according to interviews with the cast, all the exterior Westview scenes were shot in LA this past August. So not only were they dealing with covid, but also the big wildfires.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Steve had an entire exhibit in the Smithsonian dedicated to him, with Gary Sinise narration and everything. Captain America definitely has a mantle to pass down.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Even more crazy, Howard Stark worked with his killer for *years*

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

The whole "super soldier serum/process" thing is also weird.

It was only successful once, with Steve, then Erskine was murdered and no one knew the secrets.

Until it was reverse-engineered during the cold war with Bucky.
I always thought Bucky got his ersatz super soldier serum when he was Zola's prisoner during WW2, and that's how he survived the fall.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

This is just from memory, but I'm not sure if she's ever been the lead in a show or movie.

She was the lead in the HBO show Mrs. Fletcher (not a Murder She Wrote prequel), and was one of the co-leads of the Bad Moms franchise.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I'm always amazed people in this forum can just whip out relatively unknown actor's filmographies from memory, I don't know anyone but like the biggest names.

I just use IMDb :shobon:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Natasha was also part of the Battle of New York, Sokovia, and the Triskelion. Plus a fugitive with Cap for years and one of the remaining Avengers after the Blip. So I imagine she was a relatively high profile figure.

Nat was part of the delightful In Memoriam video in Far From Home, she's plenty famous.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Everyone posted:

I think Bucky enters this one of two ways: Either the Flag-smashers attack or just injure Leah (his date) and/or Yori (in which case God help them) or he sees some specific connection between them and one of the names on his "Make Amends" list. Outside of that, I don't see Bucky giving much of a crap about some bank-robbing anarchist types (which is likely how he'd see them).

Or three, Sam drags Bucky into it for any number of reasons.

stev posted:

Huh, I'm rewatching Winter Soldier and I totally forgot that the Falcon suit was just what Sam was issued in the military rather than something inherantly special to him. And he just still has access to it apparently. And no one else has one for reasons.

At the time of Winter Soldier there's only one wing suit left (I guess the Air Force decided they were a bad idea and shut down the program), and Nat and Steve have to steal it from the military

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

stev posted:

How has John Hamm not been cast in the MCU yet?

He doesn't seem particularly interested in making blockbusters, the most successful live action film he's been in was Baby Driver. Though I am surprised Rudd hasn't dragged him into the Ant-Man franchise yet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't Fitz in it?

Granted you can't really see his face, but he's the thumbnail in the YouTube clip posted up thread.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mike the TV posted:

I tried to make the connection, but I don't remember any part of Iron Man 3 besides the very ending. It's only slightly less forgettable than Thor 2.

Extremis is some real Massive Dynamics poo poo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Patton Oswalt's literal first question when he got cast in Agents of Shield was "Am I Modok?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

live with fruit posted:

Is this really still true? In Phase 3 and 4, they've brought in Ryan Coogler, Taika Waititi, Chloe Zhao and Destin Daniel Cretton, who all had varying degrees of success before coming in. Coogler has actually signed an exclusivity deal with Disney and Zhao commended them for letting her make Eternals her way. It's definitely true that Marvel's in-house previs team does a lot of the work, which gives people like Lucrecia Martel space to dunk on them (though this ignores the fact that they thought to talk to Martel in the first place), but it seems like this argument is leftover from when it took Edgar Wright ten years to not make Ant-Man.

By all accounts Marvel still lets you know you are playing with their toys, but if your vision agrees with theirs you'll get tremendous latitude. Which honestly isn't too too different from any other studio. I think where Marvel's gotten better is in finding directors and writers who they mesh with, but even now you still have situations like Derrickson walking away from Doctor Strange 2.