Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I thought Billy's remark about Agatha being silent was an allusion to her having telepathy / mind control powers of her own, so she would be blocking Billy? That's what they showed at the "twist" too, she's mind-controlling Wanda on some level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

Although I was half joking, half serious, I like to imagine there were paparazzi camping near the avengers headquarters hoping for some pics of hot superheroes.

This has been an actual plot-line in the comic universe, though it's the Fantastic Four, not the Avengers

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm a bit late to the time travel / time lines party, but here's the Fantastic Four visiting the Time Variance Authority, the... Baddies? Loki will be dealing with in his series:

A bit earlier in the story-line, we see the FF and some Avengers time-travel to the future to prevent a big time (heh) cosmic catastrophe, and there's a panel or three with the same time machine from different time lines all converging on that same destination. Anyhoo, the comic here suggests that events do generate diverging time lines. The talking head there, Mobius M. Mobius, is an unreliable narrator to say the least, so it's not clear how much authority the TVA actually has. And of course, the MCU could just take a different approach that's easier to explain in 90 seconds of screen time.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I am upset about Fietro. Fix this, MCU.

:smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That cat had better have a prominent role, Marvel :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Argue posted:

I wonder what plot element Loki is gonna have that will convince half the internet that it will finally be the series that absolutely definitively introduces mutants into the MCU

Sirs Stewart and McKellen will have small roles, but as bit-bureaucrats for the TVA, not as Charles and Erik? :v:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm almost certain there's a story line involving Von Doom and how he's a mostly benevolent monarch, although it's kind of undercut by him immediately brainwashing a small child just because he really, really hates Reed Richards. Von Doom, not the kid, prior to the brain wash. So, you know, monarchies are a land of contrasts?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

In all my years I've only ever seen one illustration showing Reed Richards with a beard, yet it is that picture that all the Twitter folk choose to use for their "dream casting" posts.

Although now I'm wondering, can Reed stretch his hair and beard the same way as the rest of himself?

I can't recall him ever doing some kind of Medusa-like stunt with his hair, but there have been comic book scenes where his head bends in funky ways and his hair "follows", if that makes sense. I think Reed's original image was a sort of straight-up professor type from circa the 1950's, and beards don't necessarily gel with that image; of course these days hot professor dude with beard is more the norm in popular culture.

Fake edit: I dug around a bit, and there's a storyline from the 80s where Reed and Sue "go undercover", and I suppose here they're showing Reed shape his hair in real time?

Also, and this is a tangent, but I have a vague memory of a scene with Jonny Storm where he's shaving his beard by shooting his fire at it; is his hair not immune to his own power?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Everyone posted:

Bonus points if they can somehow bring in a reformed (reprogrammed?) Ultron (with Spader's voice of course) to be robot Alan Shore.

Why, why must you taunt me with wondrous things that I can never, ever have :smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oovee posted:

so the jar thing they use to prune alternate timelines, does it blow up the universe in question or something?

The comics answer would be

(Dude in blue is Mobius) The TVA in this story is not exactly the same as what we saw in the show, but they're portrayed as a Bad Thing, for what it's worth.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Everyone posted:

That's Bruce.

He already knows that Loki is a homicidal lunatic from The Avengers and Valkyrie seems to be hot, violent, drunk and with a death wish.

But Thor's fine.

And Thor tells the snake story.

And no, Thor's just as crazy as the other two in his own way.

Bruce is also bewildered from being Hulkified on a strange alien world for ages, and now these crazy people with their crazy plan are his only hope. And then he geeks out about the anus portal thing because science is cool. It's all very :allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

Also, that final shot... I know it isn't, but doesn't that really look like the kind of castle where Doctor Doom would live? I'd love it if the swerve was "and I, Doom, was keeping everyone safe" but that's just my own personal "that's Mephisto" moment I guess.

That was my thought too, but I'm sure it isn't it :smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I love the running gag of going back to Alligator Loki for reaction shots every single time. It made me laugh each time they did it. :allears:

I also appreciated the C-3PO/R2D2 thing with Classic Loki translating for Alligator Loki :haw:

Spoilered but mostly speculation about the TVA's origins and the man behind the curtain how would the villain-Loki work, logistically? Like, how did he get there in the first place? The... Reference Planet this episode happened on is the dumping ground of the TVA, and the Angry Cloud is guarding the Doom Castle of Immortus or whatever inside it, that's fine, but if this is the end-point of the "sacred time-line", how would a Loki have gotten there in the multiverse and then coalesced the multiverse into the singular time-line? This seems way over-powered for a Loki, and it's sort of the kind of "time paradox" that actually isn't that really tick me off (pun unintended) about time travel stories. I mean, in addition to there having to be someone in the castle, this show is supposed to destroy the single timeline and begin the Multiverse Of Madness, so that origin story sort of has to happen, or at least be foreshadowed. Better make it a cosmic level villain, even if it isn't actually Kang himself. Hell, the Doom Castle theory works in that respect, since Doom and Kang have been allies before :v: If it's some secondary Kang "ally" being introduced, it'd be equivalent to putting Agatha on screen in Wandavision.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

It's probably all wrong! And I hope I am, I wanna be surprised with something nuts.

Agreed! (About the nuts thing, I mean) Your spoilered theory would make the show more self-contained, I suppose, but I would still expect the castle inhabitant to somehow be connected to whatever thing is responsible for the single timeline in the first place. I guess we'll see!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Someone with more marvel lore knowledge than me said that Ravonna is connected to Kang, so maybe she's behind it all, and the Ravonna that is working at the TVA is a variant.

Now, this resolution would be nifty, IMO.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

live with fruit posted:

If they reveal Kang as the big bad in the castle, it'll fall flat to anyone but the nerds. The same can probably be said about anyone but another Loki or yeah Miss Minutes, which would be less than ideal for other reasons.

Right, but how many people knew what it meant that Agnes was really Agatha Harkness? Okay, they showed her killing a coven around the reveal, but for the purposes of Wandavision she was still just an evil old witch-lady.

That said, Ravonna or Miss Minutes would be better teevee.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

live with fruit posted:

And her "The name's Agatha" reveal was Star Trek Into Darkness lame. Luckily the song was great and covered it up.

I'm not saying it was necessarily a great choice, just that giving nods to comics nerds in these shows isn't unprecedented :v:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Why does this thread have so many things that I didn't know I wanted, now desperately do, and will never have :smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

XboxPants posted:

Hah, CLASSIC Loki prank!

The Loki holo-rewind montage shows the scene where he drills into some dude's eyeball. Loki's harsh, man.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

mutata posted:

The biggest twist you can expect is Miss Minutes. They're not gonna do anything crazier than that because they haven't set anything else up at all.

Maybe it's, like, The Collector and the Void is just a big collection or some poo poo.

If we're going this route, they should totally use Grandmaster/ Jeff loving Goldblum again :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There's also something called the 'Galactus Engine', but I haven't read these comics myself and can't really comment further.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Firebert posted:

I loved it

brolin stole the show, again

My favourite bit was Thanos and Nebula fleeing the plant-splosion and Thanos just picking Nebula up to carry her to safety :allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:eyepop: :popeye: that Eternals trailer, Celestials looking good.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 19, 2021

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

volts5000 posted:

I'm not saying that kind-hearted Thanos and Yondu could never happen. I'm saying that, if you are going to take established, memorable characters and give them completely opposite personalities and motivations, show us how they were transformed in such a profound way, or at least how they could be. If you can't do that within a 30 minute story, then maybe come up with a different story altogether.

Chat about latest episode's themes, sorry for the CIA wall!

The whole premise of the episode is that T'Challa is such a force of personality that he changes the cosmos for the better, it's just a given for the entire thing to unfold. It's fine if you don't enjoy that premise, but I don't think the point of the What If...? stories are to probe profound insights into the human (alien?) condition, but to tell goofy stories. That was the point of the What If? comic books, too. There's one with a cover of the Watcher doing Marilyn Monroe's skirt blown up - scene for chrissakes, and I'm certain that comic isn't about how women are exploited and abused in the entertainment industry.

Yondu was a dick to Peter, but part of his arc in the MCU was that he actually did like Peter, he just couldn't/wouldn't show it. If the premise is that T'Challa is a self-confident master negotiator and curious to explore the cosmos, it isn't unreasonable that Yondu, who doesn't really have an ethos to speak of, would turn from stupid small time piracy and kidnapping to shooting'n'lootin' for the good of the little guy. Yondu was never portrayed as a towering menace of hatred and bile in the canon MCU, he was a small time jerk with a hidden heart of gold.

Notably the MCU changed Thanos's motivations, he's an unhinged eco-fascist instead of an obsessive creepy weirdo lover-boy, so within the MCU it actually makes a bit of sense that he could be talked down from killing people into feeding them instead. If we take his motivations at face value, but the canon movies never indicated we shouldn't, just because he's crazy doesn't mean he is lying.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Everyone forgetting Ragnarok's synthwave soundtrack from Mark Mothersbaugh.

The music during the space ship escape sequence makes me smile every god drat time, that movie is awesome in its goofiness.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Here's a late night talk show interview about Spider-man movie rights if anyone cares https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-NPFORuPCw&t=582s starring Tom Holland!

Infinitum posted:

I just want BEHOLD THE GRIM VISAGE OF DOOM style Dr Doom, ya know? Or a Galactus that isn't an intergalactic fart cloud.

It's a shame the MCU gave up on Adam Warlock, really, because you've got Kang now, there's Thanos right there, you'd just need Magus to have a movie with DOOM and Galactus and it would be fantastic (also maybe in the Four way) and god loving dammit this thread can be depressing about things we will never see :smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Everyone posted:

I was kind of okay with a Galactus that was more alien Lovecraftian horror than a 30 foot tall doofus with a tuning fork on his head.

But that's not what Galactus is. He's still just a dude, albeit one who went through a cosmic crunch - big bang - cycle. But he's still a person, somewhere in there. That's a big part of his drama with Reed Richards, the Silver Surfer, heck even Thanos. And if you're disparaging tuning forks, well, I don't know what to tell you :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Firebert posted:

Did I miss something about GotG Vol. 3 not following up on their post-credit scene from 2? Seems like that's where they were heading.

It did, I'm just not hopeful on them following up on it. But I would love to be wrong! :unsmith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yakmouth posted:

Is there much point in bringing Him into a post-infinity stone MCU, though? I like the character fine, but I really think that window has closed.

Let's be real here. Him, meh. But the FULL SPLENDOR AND GLORY OF DOOM? I want that injected straight into my veins. And purple horned Galactus, well, I would really want to see that adapted to the MCU in a way where he isn't climate change or whatever personified.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This episode clicked the least for me so far.

This premise suffered the most from trying to pack a movie into 25 minutes. I'm not sure how you could do a mash-up of a team-gathering film and a whodunnit in that timeframe, really, but this felt very scatter-shot. And Bruce Banner and Hank Pym looked nothing like the actual actors, they could at least try to go for semi-accurate parodies or something! (I know this is a dumb complaint about a cartoon)

As a What If? story though, the pay-off was sort of nice, Loki gets to be number one son, king of Midgard and I guess his mother doesn't die either. He'll probably die fighting against the 'new Avengers' in this timeline, but this is the Loki who hasn't had the character development in the TVA, so eh.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I really liked this episode!

The groundhog day bit at the start was a bit of a yawn, but I guess they had to set the stage. But then, whoo boy did this get goofy, and in a wonderful way. Let's spend centuries absorbing creatures from the Dungeon Dimensions to become Mephisto Strange Supreme, what could possibly go wrong? Also, CAPE FIGHT

e: new page edit, spoilers ahoy for What If episode 4

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 1, 2021

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hell yeah, zombies. I'm really curious what sets it off, I haven't read the comic book version(s?) of the zombie thing :ohdear:

Also, in our series of things I really, really want to see but never will, how about a MCU zombies & Bruce Campbell / Ash cross-over event? :allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This was a fun episode, but a bit... Mindless, which fits I suppose!

Not-Holland Spidey was okay, and the character looked like a generic 90's Spidey so that was fine I guess. Always a fan of CAPE ACTION. Why was Scott a Futurama head, is this a reference to something in the movies I'm forgetting?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

Still surprised they dared to show zombies of the main heroes being cut in half or beheaded :stare: Oh and holy poo poo, zombie Wanda was a scary thing.

Cut in half both ways, too! Spidey's running gag of "don't you know anything about horror movies?" went really well with the splatter-level gore. Exploding someone from the inside out got a one-liner! I'm guessing they had a lot of fun writing this.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Mid-season sneak peek for What If...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dOx38iLreg

Exiles? Exiles?!

I saw Grandmaster DJing in there, I hope they got mister Goldblum even for a bit part :allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Robot Hobo posted:

Wasn't that bit from the club in T'challa's episode?

Regardless, more Goldblum is always, ALWAYS welcome.

Dang :smith: It's not my fault Mellow Thanos stole the show!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ron Perlman is cool and good, but come on Internet, Gary Busey is right there to play the Mad Titan. And Starlord would obviously be Kevin Bacon :colbert:

Maybe Gary's more of an 80s thing? I don't know if I want to ponder an 80's MCU :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

sure he's mad, but is he a titan?

He's The Ballplayer, but I'm not American so I don't know if that makes one a titan per se.

Bruce Campbell should play Wolverine, if we're bringing the mutants into the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This was a very, very silly episode, but I got my Jeff Goldblum so I love it :allears: