Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Gyrich's speech in the prison about how tolerance is just a fad is peak X-Men writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Welp, watched the new episode over breakfast. Animation is still really tight, that hallucination sequence was appropriately trippy. Don't like them throwing out both Nathan and Jean and going straight back to the status quo though.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Gaz-L posted:

They were always implied to be Logan's shitposter buddy*

If I recall correctly, his first appearance in the original series is Jubilee stumbling across him while he watches television and shapeshifts into politicians to put stupid words in their mouths.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'm kind of surprised by the pacing, but I'm guessing they were a bit weary to do a whole episode that was just the second half. Animation on the first half ruled though, but it feels like you can praise something about the animation in every episode so far.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
More fan service, more soap opera drama, more fancy animation, Morlocks and Hellfire Club on Genosha's ruling council, that one perfectly cheesy song, Cable's big reveal, even more fancy animation in the big climactic action set piece, Leech practically begging to be killed with his "Don't worry, Magneto will save us!" followed by the triumphant music as the trope is subverted by Gambit's arrival, and oof, Magneto's big sacrifice., followed by Gambit's. Also, the mournful version of the closing credits theme.

The final third was peak :suspense:

Also,

"Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader..."

"Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists."

I'm sure the writers had fun with this one. Probably the best episode of the new series so far.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

thrawn527 posted:

So uh, what the hell was that giant three headed Sentinel that was dropping the other Sentinels? Something seen before? Definitely a power upgrade for the Sentinels.

Given Cable's appearance and the confirmation that he's Nathan Summers, paired with the bright green effects that that Super-Sentinel used, I'm guessing it's a Sentinel from the future, infected with the techno-virus that Cable was sent to the future to be cured of, with Cable's brief appearance being his attempt to stop it.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I always thought the Daughters of the Dragon spinoff they were teasing in the Marvel Netflix shows would have been cool.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Lamont posted:

Hah, I also thought it was a fake Ace of Base song made up for the show, that was an actual track??

Yup.

Skios fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 12, 2024

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Listening back while looking up that song for that post, it's kind of blatant in retrospect what a signpost that song was.

quote:

Ideas by man and only that will last
And over time, we've learned from the past
That no man's fit to rule the world alone
A man will die, but not his ideas

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

zoux posted:

Who was the demon lookin guy wiht wings (Not Kurt)

Exodus.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Just finished episode seven.

* Nimrod in the opening.
* I'm pretty sure that was the Thieves' Guild at Gambit's funeral.
* Hell yeah Rogue, get their rear end.
* "I thought your kind were the good guys!"
"You killed those. Now, you get me."
* Beast quoting Mr. Rogers and Martin Luther King, also putting his (ex?)-girlfriend in her place.
* Hell yeah Rogue, get his rear end.
* "Honey, this ain't that sort of probe."
* Trust Emma Frost to be cunty after surviving a genocidal event.
* Love the subversion of the 'Have you tried not being a mutant?' thing. Of course it's two steps forward, one step back.
* "You did not cause Gambit or Magneto to be killed. You helped them live." is a heartbreaker.
* Hell yeah Rogue, get his rear end.
* Once again nailing the licensed music.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The talk of the theme song reminded me of my favourite obscure 90s trivia:

The original X-Men cartoon was produced by Saban Entertainment, who also brought the Power Rangers to the west. The demand for that kind of content was so high that they produced a number of original series, including Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog, which applied the formula to Irish mythology. And for whatever reason, the German dub had an intro by folk band The Kelly Family, which riffed on the melody from the X-Men intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MURRgSd4ecM

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Halfway through the episode, and Bastion just dropped back to back all-time lines, followed by a "Holy poo poo, he really is irredeemably evil." moment :suspense:.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Man, Roberto's mum is such a weapon. "Sure, I could trust my only son, but that might mean that my peers will think less of me, so I'll just trust these strangers with glowing eyes and weird lines all over them in stead."

Also, that line about nobody at Genosha really being surprised was heartbreaking. Definitely feels like an allusion to the Pulse Nightclub shooting.

Also, Spidey's web slingers getting knocked down in mid-air must suck for him.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also everyone that was flying in an airplane is 100% dead, right? :v:

So is basically everyone on any kind of life support device.

Also, I wonder if this episode puts an end to the theory that dr. Cooper is Mystique in disguise.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

BizarroAzrael posted:

I assume back in the 90's Magnus was a survivor of an ambiguous atrocity rather than explicitly the Holocaust for both character age and kids broadcast reasons? Pretty far from name dropping Mengele. And sort of ambiguously European and not necessarily every name Erik Lehnshurr?

I'm pretty sure the original cartoon didn't go any further than "Magneto's country was invaded by a foreign army that destroyed his village."

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Episode 8:

Did Bastion show up to the mansion in a fancy rich person car, then just teleport back to his base? Also why did he just let the UN lady walk around unsupervised, with access to possibly the one person that could stop him if let go??

I'm guessing that it's all part of his plan - knowing Magneto would do something that would make not just him irredeemable, but all mutants in the eyes of the majority of the human population. Basically giving him the casus belli he needed.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
* Sunspot joining Magneto has to be the least surprising and most justified turn on the show. I'm surprised nobody else besides him and Rogue joined him.
* The Prime Sentinels being unaffected by Magneto's EMP stunt once again makes me wonder whether Magneto being released was part of Bastion's plan.
* "Make them mind the weather." "And you weather their minds."
* It's very telling that Bastion's dream world is basically 1950s America.
* MORPH SMASH! Also, this might have been the most Beast Mode Beast we've ever seen animated.
* They're really going all out with their ability to animate Mister Sinister, aren't they?
* Same with Jubilee.
* Now that's a heel turn I really didn't see coming. Are they pulling out Stryfe?
* Cyclops with the dumbest moment possible, holy poo poo.
* What were we saying about Wolverine's claws being allowed to do more now?
* Well, there it is. I was wondering how they'd animate it. Guess that's the only way they could really go about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

NikkolasKing posted:

Sunspot's defection was very justified but then they didn't really pull the trigger on it. His and Jubilee's "battle" is a total slapfight but with superpowers all while a serious life or death struggle is going on all around them. I didn't like that part.

I mean, at the end of the day they're teenagers having a messy fight. Them not fully grasping the gravity of the situation in the face of their own interpersonal drama kind of tracks.