Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I enjoyed the episode (and it does actually feel a bit different than the other Disney stuff).

There were two things I disliked. Firstly the music, which was really inconsistent (the incredibly melancholic music after being told that she.. can't go to a con). Like they weren't sure if they wanted a lot of "ethnic" music, more electronic sounding "young/hip" music or the generic triumphant superhero flare. Pick a lane or combine two things well (for one I'd drop the orchestral stuff altogether).

The second thing were the origin of the powers. I don't mind the power change but I mind that the power is external to Kamala and not innate (can others use it?) and that it seemed to be tied to the family in some way, making me think of what the Amazing Spider-Man did with Parker's parents (hated that too). But that can go either way depending on what they do with it.
If I didn't know anything about the original story I would be 100% sure that her grandmother was a previous superhero or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Really enjoyed the episode aside from the fact they seem to be really leaning into the familial origin of the power. I don't remember it being that way in the comics at all.

I think mixing the family stuff with the superhero stuff is a mistake. I'd rather have Kamala have to deal with her family while being a superhero and the trials and growth that both cause.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I just hope they don't stay in Pakistan too long, just because I like most of the characters and the setting.

Also, I wish this was a 12 episode series with shorter episodes, I think it might be better that way. Kamala and Nakia being in a complete upheavel about "NightLight" after she had one/two "excursion" is a bit silly.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I'm a bit disappointed in this episode for reasons others have said. Feels rushed, without the characters we've gotten used and the Clan Destined escape was super lame.

I'm upset at the threat being world-ending. I would've really liked the whole series to be Kamala coming to terms with her heritage and powers in Jersey while battling some local "street-level" threat.

I stopped reading Ms Marvel when they started shoving her into every cosmic and bullshit event because she was popular. Sad to see this process is getting fast forwarded in the MCU.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Necrothatcher posted:

Megan Thee Stallion is very famous.

I didn't realise until this post that this in actual real-life famous person. But I'm not American.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Loved the episode, one of the best if not the best MCU TV episode.

Not feeling the yellow on Daredevil though.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Arist posted:

I think they're the same sonic weapons from the last episode of Ms. Marvel.

Kinda weird how they were immediately there. What, are they just following Jen around 24/7?

Also, people who are posting spoilers from trailers please label them clearly. There are people who are posting stuff from the last episode as spoilers and it's easy to get the two confused.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Speaking of Todd and Wakanda. Didn't he say he studied for a semester there? Wasn't Wakanda closed to the public till like three years ago?

Checkmate, chuds.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Is that spider-man above Suit Spider-Man the one from the Unlimited series?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Yeah, just like the mandarin in Iron Man 2

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I actually finished the first season for the first time today and thought it was kinda slow and slightly repetitive at times. I enjoyed it but it was tiring enough that I'll wait a while till I watch the second season.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Cythereal posted:

If set leaks from the movies in production are to be believed...

We get X-Men from Deadpool and Wolverine clashing with the Time Variance Authority and loving with the timeline.

I hope not because I really don't want to feel like I have to watch Deadpool. Maybe someone can make a cut without Ryan Reynolds

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Pan Dulce posted:

You know, I'd never heard of those numbers, but speaking from a completely pessimistic outlook on people, it's rational. Ms. Marvel isn't the typical 20-30 white male superhero, so some people can't self-insert. She's not established as she's a relatively new introduction in comic lore. Her name itself is confusing to people who just unga-bunga through titles and vaguely recall disliking some female Marvel person. And finally, she's a teen, which makes it annoying for some to watch.

Still loving disappointing as hell, since I loved it even though I'm not the young demographic it targets. More people need to give it a chance and I hope after the Marvels, people retroactively swarm the app to watch it.

Do people actually not watch thing because they think "I can't relate to this main character"? There are plenty of interesting stories that have unrelatable characters (sometimes on purpose). Heck, there's a poo poo load of stories about psychopaths and killers. Also, it's often interesting to see something different and new that you know little about.

Also, in a coming of age story I think it's hard not to find something to relate to because the adolescent experience has similar themes in almost every culture / scenario.

I know the answer is "people be racist" but when looking at something like Ms. Marvel I can not understand this thought process (straight white guy).

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I haven't even begun to slive

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Since there's no callback to it I'm gonna imagine it's just the writers not thinking that far ahead. You can imagine there was an imperceptible cut there.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

It's definitely weird that they could have seemingly be picked from any time or place in the universe yet they are all on Earth, in the US and lived in the "last" sixty years.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

À bit late on this one but (Loki ending):

https://youtu.be/3TWlykZxyrU?si=Oz6hDlkRnfFgbIGt

I didn't realise Loki's last line was from Thor (I haven't seen it since it came out). Listening to Hiddleston talk about it made me like it a lot more.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Legion falls into the same trap a lot of Thriller shows do, which is have characters change alliances willy nilly. The big bad from Season 1 is borderline chummy with the rest of the cast by S3, and it sucks. With some characters they write around the shifting changes - possession, reincarnation, magic poo poo - but ultimately it just becomes hard to give a poo poo about any one character when you feel like they could be on any side at any given moment.

There's a british show called Utopia that's another really blunt example of this. Fuckin-fantastic setup, and by the end they've done so many "oh ho ho you thought we were the bad guys but we were really the good guys compared to this other guy" that it all feels like a futile exercise. Cumberbatch Sherlock also went up it's own rear end in this way.

A bit off topic but if you want a show that handles this masterfully it's Golden Kamuy (it's anime, sorry). Characters shift and form alliances and might act chummy but no one for a second forgets past transgressions or motivations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I had it in my head that I watched all three seasons but seeing that clip I checked and I only ever watched the first. I think I binged it all while sick which made it even more of a fever dream.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Is "Michael Douglas hates early mornings" a well known fact or something?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Funny. I just watched The Marvels and I did not enjoy it at all.

The story felt barely cohesive with absolutely nothing interesting in it. There were a few things they tried to touch on that could be interesting: Kamala "meeting her stars" and her naïveté clashing with Carol (after that "all those people" scene I thought that was gonna be the crux of the film), Monica's abandonment issues (snore. I didn't watch the tv show that she was in and I forgot the two scenes a little girl might have had in a film five years ago) and Carol's aloneness vs teamness thing.

All of those were.. mentioned. I didn't feel like they were given any room to develop and their conclusion was basically nothing. Everything is good now.

Villain was boring as gently caress. Again, there was maybe a kernel of an interesting idea but it was done is such a trite way.

The "fun" parts were either overdone (the cats poo poo was all over the place and went on too long) or undercooked (the singing planet. Either go ham or don't).

I thought I'd enjoy thus cuz Iman and Ms Marvel but while she had some nice scenes I felt like it was missing the core of the fun part of her character because no scenes had room to breathe.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I also don't remember the first movie that well but I didn't remember Carol being that important in Monica's life. How many scenes was she even in?

A family friend saying bye when you're twelve and then not coming back cuz they're out saving the universe seems like a weird thing to be holding a grudge about when you're a grown rear end adult.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

live with fruit posted:

Many. She's pretty prominent in the second half of the movie.

In my defense I last saw it on opening night and it was very boring.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

X-Men 97 got me pretty hyped but the animation looks pretty bad. Why isn't Marvel up to the standard of other animation studios? Even the western ones.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Wait X-Men is Studio Mir?? Their animation is usually so good and smooth, weird to see this choppy flat looking thing from them.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Yeah!! Don't want no loving muties in our films! Get the hell out of here!

Speaking of which, the X-Men animated show comes out today. It doesn't look great imo so I'll wait for some initial reviews.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

It's definitely less fluid, until it chooses to be for like a twenty seconds action scene.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

So, what are y'all alternate names for when you find out you're a clone? I learnt from this show I need to have one ready-to-go.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Why does the sentinel laser everyone then decides it's sufficient to stab Gambit with a bit of rebar.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

The grossest thing about it is definitely outside clothes on the bed.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

An actor said they'd like to get more work??

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Wow, I only just found out that Ron Wasserman made the themes for both X-Men and Power Rangers, and that he cranked out the former in two weeks and the latter in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I just realised it, what if they keep changing the year in the title and this show goes on for five seasons :ohdear: