Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

GigaPeon posted:

Are they going to do a Reverse House of M and have her wishing more people like her into existence, thus bringing X-Men into the MCU?

"No, more mutants!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I hope that this version of SWORD doesn't run into the same sort of problems it did in the comics where, on top of just being SHIELD in name only, it's also supposed to be this top-notch first-responder, contingency response against otherworldly problems.......but we still want to do big events and put the world in great danger from those things so they can't actually stop these problems or be too competent.

On that note, it's kind of odd that they decided to establish SWORD as having been a thing since (presumably) sometime around the events of Captain Marvel, since their complete absence from the events of the MCU makes them seem irrelevant. Near as I can figure two of their major focus areas are space and artificial intelligences, and yet when Thor showed up it was SHIELD that investigated and they were nowhere to be seen when renegade AI Ultron tried to destroy the world.

Obviously they wanted the "following in her mother's footsteps" angle for Monica, but it would have been a pretty easy fit to say they were established in the wake of an alien being showing up and sending half the population to time out for 5 years. Especially in a world where SHIELD is in kind of a nebulous state and may not even exist.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

KTS posted:

Depends if they stick to the lie that agents of shield is part of the continuity, Brand died in that show during the events of Winter Soldier

Wasn't that Victoria Hand?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Sir Nose posted:

Legion has been mentioned a few times now...

I loved Legion season 1, couldn't binge it fast enough. But then a few episodes into season 2, I completely lost interest in it. I can't articulate what happened because I'm not sure myself, but over the course of just a couple of episodes, I was like- I've had enough of this, this sucks.

So, any reason to go back and try again?

Apologies for the (hopefully minor) derail...

I loved Legion all the way through, but each of the three seasons is kind of a different beast. You'd hardly be the first person I've encountered who loved the first season but bounced off the second one, or loved the second and bounced off the third.

Depending how far you got into the second season I'd say it might be worth giving it another shot. If you find yourself feeling the same way, though, I'd recommend reading a synopsis or something and trying out Season 3.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Robot Hobo posted:

Actually, Agents of SHIELD left me with a question I'm still wondering if we'll get an answer to. By the end of season 7, the surviving agents have definitely landed themselves in a different timeline than the one the series started in. So did that series start in the main MCU universe (Earth-199999) and those characters all left that timeline and landed in a new one by the end? Or did the series start in a parallel timeline and they all ended up in the main MCU by the end? Or was it always alternate timelines? Maybe we could get Coulson back, now that the only explanation he ever needs to give is "No, you're right, original Phil died. I'm a robot copy."

To the best of my understanding, they begin and end in the same timeline, which is the main MCU. They spend some time during Season 7 in a different timeline, which they leave in the capable hands of Deke when they go back to their original timeline to close the loop. They also bring the villains from that timeline back with them (though we know this is what always happened, we just didn't know the true origin of those Chronicom ships that appeared in the Season 6 finale until the very end).

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Tony probably has video footage sent to a cloud from his suit, Pepper's, and Rhodey's. Let's assume the same with Vision and that's how people know details of the double Vision death. It works because Tony is terrible.

If that's the case any hero with a secret identity is in trouble, because that big final battle was a nonstop parade of people dramatically unmasking themselves over and over again.

Of course the most prominent superhero I can think of that's still active and has a secret identity is Spider-Man and, well...

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Most of the Whedon alums popped up in Agents of Shield. Of the top of my head they brought in J August Richards, Ron Glass, Amy Acker, Dichen Lachman, and of course Enver (who did also have that bit part in Avengers). Plus Whedon said that he was going to cast Cobie Smulders as Diana in his Wonder Woman movie so that's probably why she wound up being Maria Hill.

Also I'm pretty sure Alexis Denisof was Thanos' magic henchman

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Thinking about it, I wonder if it was awkward when he went to return the Soul Stone

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yes.

But also, I know Marvel likes Paul Bettany and I do to But I am wondering if it would of made more thematic sense if both Visions died at the end of the show. I wonder what they are planning to do with him next.

Also in regards to Wanda and the town They should of had her apologize, one line like I can't make up for what I did but I never meant for this to happen and then fly off.

To your second point, am I crazy or was the whole "Wanda should've apologized" thing actually addressed? When Agatha wakes everybody up and they all confront Wanda, she runs through her whole spiel about how she wasn't hurting anyone and they were all safe and happy in the Hex. When they tell her it was a nightmare and beg to be released, she apologizes and agrees to release them. I was honestly surprised any of them were still around at the end, since I assumed when she opened the gates and they all ran away that they made it out.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Its Rinaldo posted:

Except Wanda immediately does it to Agnes and explicitly says she'll keep doing it until it's convenient to go grab Agnes when she needs her then walks off to read an evil book which presumably isn't going to reinforce great habits in regards to ethical use of powers.

I feel like people are giving Wanda too much flak for taking and studying the Darkhold. Sure, it looks evil as hell and we know it's bad news, but all Wanda as a character knows about it is that it contains a whole chapter about who she really is and the true nature of her power, and that one of the most powerful magic users she's encountered studied it herself. Given those facts, and Wanda's stated mission to better understand and control her power, it would've been irresponsible of her not to take the book with her and give it a look.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

FYI Matt Shakman, the WandaVision showrunner, did an interview with Sepinwall where he mostly talked about sitcom history, but also addressed the ending:

quote:

There’s been some audience pushback regarding the scenes in the finale where we realize the extent of the psychological torture that Wanda put the people of Westview through. They felt the show was maybe letting Wanda off the hook too easily for enslaving them. Do you feel like she faced appropriate consequences for those actions?

I don’t think we’re letting Wanda off the hook. She realizes in that final episode what she’s done. She’s brought to that moment by Agatha — “Are you a hero? Are you a villain? Heroes don’t torture people.” — and she tries to let them go in that moment, but realizes that she’s not fully able to say goodbye to her family yet. So the crisis at the middle of the episode is important to her story, that she is ultimately moving towards accepting the loss of Vision and her family. The show was always about grief and how we come back from loss, so it always had to end with her accepting that loss, but also accepting this new mantle of the Scarlet Witch and what that means. But that final scene, she comes into town, it’s her walk of shame as she walks through town and feels the daggers being stared at her, meant to be this indictment of her. She is a pariah, and she’s not being forgiven by them. The conversation with Monica is about two people who have bonded over grief and loss understanding the motives behind it. Doesn’t mean it excuses it, and Wanda acknowledges that. She flies away from this town knowing that it wouldn’t really welcome her back.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/wandavision-director-matt-shakman-sitcom-interview-1139129/

This explanation pretty much satisfies me, but I didn't really have a problem with most aspects of the finale to begin with, so YMMV

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I think Thor: Ragnarok is my favorite Avengers movie but everyone told me the other Thors were bad so I never bothered.

I've rewatched the first one many times, but whenever I do I tend to skip all the Asgard stuff. Thor as a fish-out-of-water on Earth is excellent.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Huh, I had no idea he was Kurt Russell's son

Does this make them the first father-son duo to appear in the MCU?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nameless Pete posted:

Bill Paxton was on Agents of SHIELD and then they had his son play a younger time-traveling version of the same character. He did a really over-the-top impression of Bill that I suspect he and his siblings had been perfecting behind his back for decades.

Oh yeah, that guy was great, and I completely forgot he was actually Bill Paxton's son

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

tsob posted:

Actually, something I haven't seen discussed yet: Ayo says something to Bucky in Wakandan just before she leaves, does anyone have any idea what she says? Even the subtitles just render it as "In Wakandan" or something similar. Which, I think is based of Xhosa or some other African languages, so maybe someone knows what she said.

I'd presume she's admonishing him in some way, but I wonder if that bridge is completely burnt now because of his use of Zemo and resistance to them or if there's still some sentiment left there that could allow him to repair that relationship?

I thought she was saying "Das vedanya, James" as kind of a "whatever friendly relationship we had is over, goodbye"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Yeah it was a reasonable assumption on her part that Sam (for sure) and Bucky (most likely) would be strongly opposed to executing the scientist, her mistake was underestimating Zemo. But at that point she saw an opportunity to open up several new revenue streams by working with them, so the scientist was expendable anyway.

As for fighting off the bounty hunters, I like to imagine that once she was alone she sent out a message canceling the bounty to almost everybody, but kept it open with the 15 or so least-capable guys she could think of. After all, those guys clearly didn't recognize her as the Power Broker (unlike Karli and Batroc), so they obviously weren't too well-regarded.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

In all my years I've only ever seen one illustration showing Reed Richards with a beard, yet it is that picture that all the Twitter folk choose to use for their "dream casting" posts.

Although now I'm wondering, can Reed stretch his hair and beard the same way as the rest of himself?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Chieves posted:

Did anyone else roll their eyes when they included the loving "love persevering" in the same montage as quotes from civil rights leaders?

If it had been the only Marvel line in a sea of civil rights leader quotes sure, but the bulk of the lines were from other Marvel properties, so it didn't really bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Maybe I'm confused, but didn't Fisk already run for mayor in one of the Daredevil seasons? Is this a timeline thing, where that season actually took place after the events of Echo?

Also, show was great