Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The TVA really reminded me of this old bit of fractal computer art:

I know it references some classic art, maybe Escher, but I can't quite remember what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

massive spider posted:

I was wondering if the TVA goes on for countless miles in every direction full of endless employees OR its actually reasonably sized, but once you reach the edge it just loops back. Like you can get to Mobius' office by either walking west, or far enough east.

Maybe if you head off a few miles in one direction all the human staff change to Skrulls. Few miles straight up and it's Shi'ar wall to wall.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

live with fruit posted:

When they reset a timeline, does that mean that everything goes back to wherever it was at the time of the branch? So for example, those Mongolians would only go back like 3 minutes.

The reset charges do not look like a "set people back a few minutes" kind of device. I think we only saw one in action in Mongolia, though?

Given the whole use of the term "prune" I think it's very likely they're far more decisive in their action.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm going to guess right now that whichever timeline gives the Time Keepers the most power and is most likely to give them the most power in the future is the Sacred one.

There's no good or bad, no justification for what is the "true" timeline beyond what maintains the status quo for three* of the most powerful beings in the universe.

Tony and Cap going back in time wasn't important because they were in and out and didn't ask any questions or poke things too much. Loki travelling through time and being Loki? Now that's potentially dangerous to the Time Keepers.

* assuming there are still three.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 12, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Goa Tse-tung posted:

in the top right in the tray is the Coronado cross from Indiana Jones lol

Can we get some screenshots of the drawer, because it seems I missed a lot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it's actually not that easy, I wanted to look at that gun but the stones are somehow super large

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsjP3vRj-Qg

Thanks for that.

Man, I got no goddamn idea what any of that poo poo is. Going to have to wait for the inevitable tweet from the production people.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

a Loving Dog posted:

Lmao at “coded as”

Sure.

It was coded right there on his wrist.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

live with fruit posted:

Seems likely that they cast Richards much younger.

Did anyone watch the last F4 movie with the tween goober playing Reed?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So they have a wall of expired candy somewhere?

EDIT: Nope, leaving my lovely joke here even though it was "Notch" and not "Null". All should see my shame.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 15, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The_Doctor posted:

I appreciate the D+ shows getting to the fireworks factory so quickly, and not drawing things out.

Took me a moment to realise you meant Disney+ and weren't giving it a letter rating.

"D+, are you mad? What, this show is at least an A-"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Calling it right now - the big villain of the series is Ms Minutes

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Umbra Dubium posted:

Also that a bunch of time cops ostensibly all about avoiding influence on the timeline just show up in riot gear and shove bystanders around like its not going to have an effect.

Well, standard procedure seems to be to vaporise everyone when they leave, so keeping a low profile probably isn't high on their list of thing to do.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Thundercracker posted:

Maybe people got sick of Amazon's abusive practices and actually used the Sherman Act to bust up Amazon.

Amazon burns through workers so quickly that executives are worried they'll run out of people to employ, according to a new report

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

mind the walrus posted:

I would genuinely be happy if Waititi never touched the film industry again

Why is this?

I thought Waititi 's Ragnarok was by far the best Thor movie and eminently enjoyable.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Firebert posted:

They think that Waititi’s sense of humor is “vile” lmao

Definitely want to hear about this!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Yeah! I hate that new Zealand gently caress! Now here's my 10 page dissertation on why i think What we do in the Shadows is degrading towards vampires and vampire enthusiasts

*shits pants*

Wait - that's it?

Waititi wasn't sufficiently respectful to sparkle vampires? L O and may I be very clear here L.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Or, it's Alabama and no one gives a poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Dragonstoned posted:

Calling Thor up on the space telephone...

"Hey Thor could you drop everything you're doing right now to come fix the weather in Alabama?"

"Sure, no problem. Hey, wasn't Mitchell McConnell born there?"

"Uh"

"Let them burn"

"It's actually a rather wet storm and we<CLICK>

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Rhody variant comes from a universe where 1x1=2

The interview with him laying it all out is is still one of the stupidest things I've ever read someone saying. Guy made his own entirely new form of mathematics based around being a dumass who can't count or think good.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

live with fruit posted:

The title is misleading if these stories actually take place elsewhere in the multiverse.

What If...?

...we didn't prune this timeline and kill everyone in it?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ok that whole last sequence is probably in one of their minds. I'm not sure if it's Sylvie enchanting Loki earlier and creating a complicated illusion that somehow includes her sleeping, or Loki managing to figure out her tricks and enchanted her when she did fall asleep. There's no reason why that collapsing tower would just pause/reverse the way it did and neither of them has that power or appears to have it.

Yeah that moment really stood out to me. The tower didn't just stand up, it reversed back up.

Also I fully expect Owen Wilson to walk in from stage left at the start of the next episode because we've been shown that you can wander around total apocalypses without the TVA seeing you. And there's no way Wilson's character let Loki run around lose without some sort of tracker.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
We know a single person can become a variant multiple times, like the many Lokis we've seen.

So, I'm thinking the person bringing in all the trinkets to Judge Renslayer that Mobius commented on, is another version of Mobius. Which is why she was so cagey about revealing who they were.

That's why there were also the coffee stains in different places, it wasn't our Mobius putting the cup down in different spots each time, it was variant Mobiuses each putting their cups down in their own variant spot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Looks like they're getting right everything that Iron Fist got wrong.

And if Iron First got anything wrong, it certainly was everything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
^^^ Well, poo poo.

Anita Dickinme posted:

quote:

My brother knows I love snakes so he transformed himself into a snake and when I picked it up he turned back to himself like “surprise” and then he stabbed me.

There's an outtake reel of this as they're going through a bunch of different lines and it's loving hilarious.

Can't find it for the life of me, though, because youtube's search sucks and every single influencer and creative and other euphemism for parasocial leech has put out their own version of stuff Marver's released.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
With everything else, I almost forgot - vampires are now canon in the modern Marvel pantheon of stuff.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
For totally no reason:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Also - what were those birds about?

With the floating balls where their heads should be?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

G-III posted:

I haven't seen a member of the Crocodylia order bite off a hand like that since Romancing the Stone

But they are somewhat known for it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Okay, let me suggest a name no one's brought forward yet for who's behind it all - Sylvie.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

10 Beers posted:

You meant SLJ, right? I spent five minutes wracking my brain trying to figure out SMJ and it kept going to Sarah Michelle Gellar.

This is what happens when people just throw our random acronyms without defining them first.

Saying "RDJ" is easy enough, because people were talking about Iron Man and there's only one person that can mean.

Saying, "SMJ's been in more MCU films than RDJ and his presence didn't make AoS much more canon", just turns the sentence into word salad despite there only being one acronym in there which wasn't obvious.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
No loving clue, mate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Nail Rat posted:

D'oh, fair enough.

edit: SLJ must be Samuel L Jackson at least.

That makes sense.

A mystery which had no reason to exist, finally solved!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

gregday posted:

That's a lot of words he's written to just say he doesn't understand the difference between multiplication and addition.

quote:

code:
If 1 x 1 = 2
    Then, 1 x 2 = 3
          and, 1 x 3 = 4
                 to, 1 x 4 = 5

and Beyond

Nah, he's just operating on a whole other level.

Also, big thanks to Leon Trotsky and everyone for their posts. I'm going to bookmark them so I can refer to it all the next time someone gets to hear the story for the first time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Infinitum posted:

Legit can't believe we're getting What If?, Shang-chi, Eternals, Spider-man 3, Hawkeye, and Ms Marvel this year :allears:

And then Venom 2 out on the peripheries in September.

Still have to catch Venom. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Watched a bunch of clips from it on youtube and really liked what I saw.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
That precisely the vibe I got from the clips. The symbiote seems like a blast.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Sylvie was a LOT more powerful than she'd let on. Lying to 'our' Loki the whole time about what she could do.

A.o.D. posted:

[talking about the head of the TVA] Actually no! Same biology, but a million lifetimes of experiences has him as a different person. He really was He Who Remains, although the closest comic analogue is Immortus. I cannot stress enough that Immortus and Kang are not the same person, even if they share the same birth.

Which is also what they went for with Sylive and Loki "We're not the same person". It'll probably be a 'thing' in the next season.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Phylodox posted:

I mean, the twist is that [spoiler]multiversal war isn’t some inevitable condition of existence, it’s literally one guy with an ego so immense that he thinks he is both the source of and solution to all of existence’s problems*.

As I was listening to the exposition, all I could think was "Sure, but all this would also be avoided much more simply just by killing every single version of you, baby Hitler style."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

While the trend has been adopted by weirdos as proof of white genocide, denying it exists at all is a good way to make people think you're deliberately obfuscating.

More interestingly is that classic redhead characters were often mere sidekicks (Jimmy Olsen, Wally West) or coded as exotic/hotheaded/rebellious (Starfire, Little Mermaid, Little Orphan Annie). Casting Black sidekicks offers easy representation points without doing much, and those latter tropes are now being applied to Black people for some reason.

Who'd a thunk that "four color comics" might have a limited palette for hair colour.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Shageletic posted:

the bad movies he does are alot funnier. the loki one was just explaining the plot. There are alot better examples.

Yeah, the format really only works for bad movies.

The one for Tomorrow War was great. Just endlessly pointing out how stupid it was and all the ridiculous, massive plot holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Klungar posted:

I think the Elongated Man on Flash worked well enough, before the character had to be shelved due to the actor being a sex pest.

Never watched it, but just checked out this compilation and, yeah, they really did a good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3MUUfTnGMo

Also: drat shame to hear he's a sex pest.