Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's weird how the casting of Tatiana Maslany as She-Hulk started as a leak from some random source, then months later she came out and said herself that it was just some weird rumor and she had nothing to do with it, and now they've officially announced her. Was she just being cagey, or did they not have the role cast yet and then pursued her after fan support of the rumor? Either way I'm really happy for her getting a role that big, I'm still amazed she managed to play like 15 distinct characters on Orphan Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Barry Convex posted:

pretty sure it won’t be quite *every* week in 2021, there are at least a few weeks in between WandaVision and FATWS for instance, but from the Dec. 10 announcements, it’s pretty clear that their goal is to have a release cadence of new Marvel Studios and/or Star Wars content almost every week in 2022, if not by the end of 2021
I'm glad a streaming service finally remembered why weekly appointment television was so successful for so long. Season dumps are fine when I'm ready for it, but the sheer volume of them means I'll always have a backlog of shows I want to check out but never get around to. If someone tells me there's a new episode of something on Wednesday, I'm much more likely to watch it than I am if someone told me to set aside 10-13 hours for a season binge. It's also smarter for keeping people subscribing long-term instead of just canceling after they're done with a show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I have to assume the concept designers of the MCU made Wanda's powers look similar to the Aether on purpose, because they seem to be leaning into her as basically a lesser Reality Stone. I'm kind of surprised they never went all out and connected it to her in the movies.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
AoS definitely had some bullshit season plots, but it's one of the few shows where I kept watching because I cared about the characters even if the plot was silly. Eventually they just went ham on everything though, so the goofiness was a lot more tongue in cheek.

I still say Iain de Caestecker was the standout actor of that show. Dude was amazing at conveying emotion, and I hope he gets a lot of big roles now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm trying to imagine what that trailer must be like for someone who's never seen a Marvel movie.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

I was talking with a coworker about the Ms Marvel series and I really hope a part of it is showing how regular people view the heroes, what impact they have had on pop culture and such. We see a bit in Spider-Man with the Cap educational videos, but I'd love to see some very meta stuff like Halloween costumes of the Hulk that consist of a mask and a plastic smock with the Hulk going "Hulk Smash!" on it. Like Kamala's crappy costume's helmet looks like something you could buy; Real Captain Marvel Helmet, Crest Really Glows!
I really just want Hulk Hands to be canon.

Technically we already saw the kind of thing you're talking about many films ago; there was the fan theory that the little kid in the Iron Man mask in Iron Man 2 was Peter Parker, and they recently confirmed it (and/or retconned it because of the theory).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Barry Convex posted:

I think a two-episode premiere is confirmed, so there's a week in between, which they'll probably fill in with another pair of those Marvel Studios Legends clip things

Marvel's 616 was a pretty bizarre series. I get that they were showing diverse stories in the history of Marvel, but starting out with an hour about Japanese Spider-Man was a bonkers direction.

Paul Scheer's episode on deep diving to make obscure Marvel properties marketable should be its own entire series though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Watching the Legends episodes for both of them first is definitely a good idea, because it gives you context clues for what's happening in the show. It's kind of like how "Previously On" segments only ever show you the relevant parts you need to know for that particular episode. Wanda's Legends focuses a lot on her hatred of Stark, her reality-warping abilities, and her feelings of loss. Vision's Legends focuses a lot on him coming from JARVIS and the Mind Stone, and Wakanda's partial recovery. So between the two you can somewhat extrapolate why WandaVision is happening.

I enjoy it and I'm glad they're doing genre shenanigans, but I would NOT know how to explain this show to someone who isn't already a fan.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm hoping for quirky alternative teen drama for the 90s.

That, or Wanda and Vision playing Beavis and Butt-Head. "This sucks, Vision. Change it!"

zooted heh posted:

A.I.M was used in Ironn Man 3. The Mandarin owns the company not Strucker. So why would they use the same company again?
Ten Rings and the real Mandarin are in Shang Chi, and the Disney+ shows are ostensibly to set up Phase Four.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just make a new Agents of SWORD spinoff but maintain the entire AoS cast and pretend like nothing happened.

Also the beekeeper should be Tony Todd. :unsmigghh:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

massive spider posted:

If we're doing family sitcoms through the decades 50s, 60s, 70s, I wonder what the style of the 00's one will reference. I'm hoping Malcolm in the middle.

UPN's Shasta McNasty

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

FogHelmut posted:

Can't wait for the era of cameramen shifting their weight from side to side moving their handheld cameras in a figure 8 pattern between quick-zooms into character's faces to accentuate reactions and punclines.
I initially didn't watch Arrested Development for a long time because I hated that style. It worked for stuff like Christopher Guest movies because it's in-universe, but without that aspect of it, I thought it was dumb. Then I got used to it when watching The Office since the mockumentary style was in-universe, so I went back and watched AD. It still kind of bugs me unless it's supposed to be there, and it doesn't make sense for a show like Modern Family (or the cutaway couch interviews) since they never implied that there's really a doc crew in their house 24/7. Given what the overall premise of WandaVision seems to be though, I can see them pulling that off in an interesting way, and addressing it directly. Either a "who are you people" gag, or a way to connect to the world outside of whatever Wanda's trapped in.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Hazo posted:

I've seen all the Marvel movies and I play the Marvel fighting games but I'm completely blanking. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so I'm trying to view it through the lens of someone watching The Mandalorian after only seeing the original trilogy, and I think after two episodes that person would still be able to get a feel for the plot.

Currently I just feel like I'm literally watching knockoffs of Bewitched and I Love Lucy, and I get that's the point, but there's no apparent payoff. And yeah I get that you're supposed to be unsettled and not really know exactly what's going on, but flipping through the last few pages and reading the spoilers it seems like hardcore fans know what's up since there are a bunch of clues that are obvious, but only to people familiar with obscure Marvel minutiae and it's not really for the rest of us.
I would actually disagree with this. I'm not a hardcore comics fan, but I've seen all the MCU movies and nearly all Marvel TV, and I think it's pretty easy to extrapolate from context clues and the scenes of people trying to contact her that Wanda's trapped in some weird TV world inside her mind (either she created it and is hiding from someone, or someone else created it and she has some control over it), and she's scared to leave because she knows the real Vision is dead. I don't know a lot of the easter egg references, but I can at least figure out a general sense of what's happening.

Aside from that, it's just fun so far. Especially if you were raised on Nick-at-Nite. It seems like they're gradually going towards modern TV, so the nostalgia trip is fun too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Whoever's doing the score for this show is spot-on. The 70s sitcom background tracks felt really authentic.

It's also really fun to see Elizabeth Olsen change her acting style with each decade. Vision is kind of always Vision because he's supposed to be, but Wanda's been a different type of sitcom wife every episode.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Everyone posted:

Wanda doesn't need an Infinity Gauntlet. At this point, Wanda Maximoff is the Infinity Gauntlet.
I've been saying for a while that she's specifically a living version of the Reality Stone. Her powers warp reality the same way, and the red wispy stuff she does looks exactly like the Aether, which I can't believe is a coincidence.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Its Chocolate posted:

oh yeah, she does have reality stone powers doesn't she. her magic's red, the stone is red. it changes the nature of reality just like the sitcom dimension does.
Also Darcy was studying the Aether, which Wanda's powers look very much like, and now she's on the show.

I know her powers were derived from Mind, but she has a lot more in common with Reality, and Quicksilver's speed powers seem more Space related. So maybe experimenting on one stone taps into the powers of all of them.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

QuoProQuid posted:

lol wanda knows exactly what she's doing and who she's hurting and she doesn't care. she'd burn the world to the ground if it meant she could continue to play house.

I'm sure there are other forces at work here, but I would be 100% on board with Wanda being the big bad of Phase Four.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's also really cool about all the multiverse prospects is that we're not just getting a reason to introduce X-Men and F4, but there's a perfect in-universe excuse to bring in any actor from the Netflix shows, or the network shows, or literally any other property.

It'd be fun as hell to have a Mojoworld series where they could get all kinds of fun cameos for one episode each. Kinda want to see a Lundgren/Jane/Stevenson/Bernthal Punisher battle royale.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

justlikedunkirk posted:

One thing should be clear from this episode for people theorizing about what's to come.

The episode goes out of its way several times to point out that Wanda can't control her kids. Then she tells her sons about how she has a brother who lives far away and how it makes her sad. Then she tells them that they can't bring back the dead. Then new Pietro shows up at the door as her long lost brother. The twins created him and Peters is just the guy they're using. Casting him is (like someone mentioned earlier) a cheeky wink at audiences about the Fox/Disney crossover.

While this is true, they've also established that things that come out of the hex are real, so if Pietro Mk.II comes out of the bubble, then ostensibly he's real too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
A fun production thing I've noticed is how they switch from the classic sitcom three-camera setup to a more cinematic style whenever someone realizes weird poo poo it happening or breaks the plot. Wanda momentarily loses focus on her TV show and switches to modern/movie style filmmaking, but as soon as it gets back on track it resumes the standard format.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
gently caress yeah. I just read that Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead are going to be directing an episode of the upcoming Moon Knight series, and that's going to be bonkers. If you've never seen their movies (Resolution, Spring, The Endless), they're great at cosmic horror. Their new movie Synchronic has Anthony Mackie in it too, so maybe that's how they got the Marvel connection. I'm really stoked about that.

Adus posted:

i'd love to believe this is more than just a gag/wandavision-only plot and we just get x-men quicksilver in the MCU. because those x-men movies took a hell of a nosedive (and are basically done anyway?) so we're not likely to see him again otherwise.
Unless they're going for a full recast for the inevitable X-Men integration, I can't believe this would be a one-off. Disney knows fans want them in the MCU, and their promotional material hyping Phase Four is going all-in on Multiverse (Dr. Strange, the next Spider-Man cast, and obviously this show). They already gave us a Multiverse fake-out with Mysterio in Far From Home, so they're not going to do it again with this reveal or it'll piss everyone off.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Edmund Lava posted:

Can’t see Jackman reprising his role for anything less than obscene can’t say no money.
I mean, Disney.

tsob posted:

I wonder does that mean they'd bring Charlie Cox, Krysten Ritter, Mike Colter and Jon Bernthal back for Defenders stuff?
Charlie Cox is going to appear as Matt Murdock in the next Spider-Man, and Feige said at some point that the main two people he'd want back from Netflix are D'Onofrio and Bernthal. Honestly if one single actor survived the Netflix purge I'd want it to be D'Onofrio. I know Kingpin's not an Avengers level threat, but he could easily be a villain team-up or a recurring puppetmaster character for the individual hero movies. He just IS Kingpin.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Comrade Fakename posted:

The question is, how far does this go? Because really, the ultimate conclusion to this concept would be a crossover with the DC universe.
I think you're on the right track, but not for a long time. Shared cinematic universes started building up about 10-15 years ago, and now everyone's got one. Now that a multiverse is on the table, expect everyone to ape that for another decade or so. After that, the next logical step is probably "omniverse" crossovers that unite all the IPs that studios already own (Star Wars/Marvel/Alien, etc.), and then after that maybe we'll see competing studios working together. It also kind of depends on whether another Big Five studio gets bought out in that time. Right now ViacomCBS has the smallest market share, but I'd bet on a Warner buyout over a Disney buyout.

Phylodox posted:

But it was the Loki from that reality who took that stone, so he didn't remove it from that timeline.
Also the info they've released about the Loki series seems to indicate that he's going to be busted by timecops for doing that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if the lack of kids in Westview could be related to the children seemingly being able to age at will. It didn't seem like Wanda was in control of that, because she seemed surprised at both the speed of the pregnancy and the kids suddenly aging up ~5 years - which happened more than once - then after the dog died she told them not to do it again. So maybe there were kids in Westview, but they've all aged up?

That would also be thematically consistent with Far From Home, where the snapped kids returning from the blip talked about how weird it was that their same-age classmates were now 5 years older than them.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I would genuinely like to watch a Cap 4 where it's Rogers returning the Stones, and the problems he runs into with each. We saw the time heist to get them all, but there could be some fun problems with putting them back into place, and I'm curious about what the Cap/Skull scene would look like.

This is a fun take on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vjs_0CoRs4

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really wanted that episode to be a pilot for a series where Paul Scheer tries to make obscure Marvel characters marketable. Even just one-issue characters or corny 60s villains could be really fun, there's SO much buried content there.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Infinitum posted:

When the hell does this become an Avengers level response event? :psyduck:
Guessing that's the super secret cameo in some form or another. Though the Avengers are pretty scattered right now so it can't be very many of them.

BizarroAzrael posted:

So we seem to just not get a 90's episode? MitM started in 2000.
Every episode has been a pastiche, not a 1:1 copy of a single sitcom. MitM is most associated with being popular with 90s kids despite coming out literally the 2nd week of the 2000s (which means it was filmed in the 90s and likely was supposed to debut in the fall season of '99), so it can be given a little slack unless people are absolutely insisting on being pedantic. The episode's stylistic choices were absolutely in tune with the 90s.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mochiballs posted:

I just realized the reference to Shangri-la probably means Wanda went to Kamar-Taj....which to me still suggests she's doing this alone but without full control. Maybe she got into the library?

Doesn't Marvel have like 80 separate mystical hidden kung fu realms scattered throughout the Himalayas?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Their relationship is definitely shown as extremely intimate, starting with physical compatability, but a big part is that they learn to understand each other, Eddie going out of his way to learn to communicate with Venom and understand their needs and wants, while basically inviting Venom into his life and introducing them to the people he cares about, to the point where Venom realises they're similar but symbiote society as it is is implied to be really lovely and have nothing to really offer Venom besides a share of the next planet to devour before they move on. (There's something about predatory capitalism in there. Especially since the human antagonist is a Musk-ish CEO who makes a deal with the devil to feel even more special)

Venom suffers from tonal whiplash and cliche stock villains, but man, the characterization of the symbiotic relationship being literally "we need each other because we're both total losers" was a great and funny take on what has otherwise historically been peak 90s edgelord. I was pleasantly surprised Sony went in that direction and didn't just make him all grimdark. Fox even managed to avoid that with Cable, more or less.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Doctor Nutt posted:

I also think Venom did good by having the ex's boyfriend not be an obvious douche, and then when he gets wrapped up in Venom's bullshit he's nothing but helpful to Eddie. Venom did a lot of poo poo right imo.
I appreciated that Ant-Man did this with Bobby Cannavale's character too, and by the time the second movie rolls around they all get along.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like Darcy showing up in a waitress outfit for a one-scene gag but not drawing attention to it would skirt the good end of the Fun <---> Stupid line of fictional media/characters recognizing real-world media/actors.

The other end of that line is Ocean's 12.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Timeless Appeal posted:

One movie I think people should check out is Resolution. It's a pretty standard cabin in the woods horror movie about two guys seeing creepy stuff. In the end of the movie it is revealed that the camera is some sort of unseen Lovecraft style God that they have been aware of and trying to appease. The movie ends with one of the film's heroes asking, "Can we try it another way?" It turns out that the whole movie is them acting out a movie and trying to satisfy this mysterious demon.

Interestingly enough, the director is directing the majority of Moon Knight. So, it's a movie that MCU people are aware of.
I love Benson & Moorhead's films, but I've only read that they're directing one episode. Did they announce more?

All their films beyond Resolution are interconnected too. The Endless is basically a straight sequel focusing on different characters, Synchronic explores the drugs made out of the red flowers, and Spring is less direct but namedrops a shared character. They're really creating an interesting universe.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm relatively certain "nobody has guessed it yet" = plenty of people have guessed it but they really only pay attention to Twitter.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
This show's been hit or miss on actually writing good comedy for the sitcoms it emulates, but "I actually did bite a kid once" got a legit good laugh out of me.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Desperado Bones posted:

It wasn't a fly? I remember it was a cicada. It was indeed quite weird.

Coincidentally, the 17 year cyclical emergence of cicadas that's supposed to hatch this year is called Brood X.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lid posted:

The Guardians of the Galaxy 2 post-credits scene

Or am I the only one who remembers that?
I think it was always assumed that Adam Warlock would show up in the next Guardians, but at one point they had plans for a Nova movie too. Feige talked about that being where they'd show Thanos's attack on Xandar since they didn't have time in Infinity War. I think with everything being shaken up though (and since it's not on the Phase 4 slate), they'll probably drop that idea and introduce Nova into either Guardians 3 or Captain Marvel 2 instead.

Zil posted:

I think they didn't use Vision much in the movies is due to him being insanely overpowered for the universe and would have outshone most of everyone else that wasn't powered by an infinity stone.
That was the main problem with the airport fight in Civil War. Both sides head toward this big climactic clash that was hyped up by all the trailers, and then Vision just disappears for a few minutes until they figure out something for him to do that isn't just "blast everyone and end the fight immediately".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Djarum posted:

Also someone who is short and is 30 who looks 40 for a decade.

They absolutely lucked into Jackman the first time even though he was too tall. I think they are best to find someone unknown again for the role since I can’t think of anyone around who could do it.
Bear with me here, but I feel like the new Wolverine would be a good place to slate a wrestler with decent acting skills trying to break into Hollywood. You know he'll maintain the physique, can probably do his own stunts, and doesn't have to show a lot of emotional range because his job is to look like a badass all the time. I had doubts about Dave Bautista when he joined the MCU, but he's made Drax one of the most fun characters.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Spacebump posted:

Wolverine is supposed to be a tiny guy. He's more badass because despite his size, he wrecks people. I know Marvel won't be able to resist casting a 6 foot (or taller guy) for him. It's weird seeing Wolverine being taller than Cyclops.
Yeah, I'm referring to modern guys. A lot of them are typically under 6' and <200 lbs nowadays.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Marsupial Ape posted:

Since I was the perpetrator of the ‘previous conversation, I will chime in and say Milana Vayntrub is an immense comedic talent. If you can track it down, I recommend watching the short lived, low budget sci-fi comedy webseries she was in, “Other Space”. She was a delight.
She was a regular on @midnight and she was hilarious. She runs her own refugee humanitarian charity too.

Invalid Validation posted:

Can’t have a woman be taller than a man.
Adrianne Palicki did just fine in AoS. Her tenure was so short-lived that they could probably recast her as someone else at this point, because I doubt we'll be seeing Bobbi Morse in any other MCU capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Robot Hobo posted:

Agatha was a witch during the Salem Witch Trials, and she approved of them, because she thought killing off the weaker members of her own coven was the best way to make it stronger. Even when she's a "good guy" she's not a nice person.
I always felt weird about Marvel retconning a real historical event to basically say "those innocent people we as a society executed totally had it coming after all."

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, I don't know if it is hilarious or dumb that the official outside of the universe Marvel name for the end of Infinity War is "the snap," but the in-universe world decided to call it the much dumber "the blip."
It's both. The snap is half the people in the universe going away, the blip is them coming back. Both caused a lot of chaos so they're two separate events, even though both were created by separate snaps.

That said, I get why they did this from a filmmaking perspective, but it never had to be a snap. The possessor of the Gauntlet can use the powers at will, so physically preventing Thanos from snapping his fingers shouldn't do anything. He should just be able to think "erase everyone" as soon as he puts it on, and the other snaps shouldn't have been required of Hulk or Stark.