Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

stev posted:

Alternatively she succeeds in bringing him back but he comes back wrong.

Sometimes dead is better.

An excuse for emotionless chalk white Vision? I'm here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

the intentionally unfunny sitcom thing

Speak for yourself :mad:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Have animals/bugs only shown up in Westview around intruders? There was the stork around Monica in the first episode and the bees around the beekeeper/SWORD agent in episode 2. Am I missing any? Are animals/bugs some kind of warning system about outsiders? edit: I guess there is also the Rabbit in the second episode.

Animals are notoriously difficult to control during a live performance, that's a good metaphor for chaotic/unplanned elements.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

massive spider posted:

This got asked a lot when Endgame came out, The official word from the Russos is that people in airplanes were fine, the glove works as a magic wish machine but the smart kind not the monkeys paw kind.

Also

Someone in the show when they were observing the sitcom footage said something to the lines of "whats with the hexagon shapes?" my initial thought is hexagon = 6 = infinity stones. Wandas got infinity power.

At the very least it makes sense that she's tapping Reality power, which would explain why she can't leave -- changes made with the Reality Stone revert when the holder leaves the area. She's made a gilded cage for herself.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

Vision’s reanimated carcass was loving terrifying

Yeah that poo poo was impressively unsettling, props to the makeup team.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

Ehhh, but she's always had that color power and she got it from the mind stone.

Like, sure she could have reality powers now, but not just based on her magic's color. Then again, her brother got speed from the mind stone, so it's not really a hard and fast rule.

Power origin theories: My completely baseless theory about this is that all of the stones have a little bit of each others' powers in them in order to work together, like the cosmic equivalent of voltage converters or something. So Pietro got a tiny bit of Time power to accelerate himself, and Wanda got a tiny bit of Reality in addition to Mind to create her initial knockoff-Jean Grey package. Either her grief or something else has allowed her to tap into much more of that Reality power now.

Geo Fixer posted:

It's very clear that Incredible Hulk started out as a sequel to Ang Lees Hulk but got turned into an MCU vehicle later on.

Yes, it literally starts where the previous one leaves off.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Since the townspeople seem to have some flashes of awareness of the situation, it could also be a "don't piss off the lady who can wish you into the cornfield" kind of business. As long as everyone plays by the sitcom rules, everyone's happy. What's important is maintaining the illusion above all else (hence the conceit of the magic show in episode 2), and there's an implicit threat behind it (whether from Wanda or whoever else set the rules).

"That was my grandfather's piano..."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Harlock posted:

I just had this thought as well, I think people may have checked out from the first couple of episodes because it wasn't "Marvel" enough and this is them trying to say, "no really - here's all the stuff you want."

Just more reason they should've trimmed back that crazy seven-minute credits sequence and spread out this episode's developments among the first three.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

I think you're on the right track, but not for a long time. Shared cinematic universes started building up about 10-15 years ago, and now everyone's got one. Now that a multiverse is on the table, expect everyone to ape that for another decade or so. After that, the next logical step is probably "omniverse" crossovers that unite all the IPs that studios already own (Star Wars/Marvel/Alien, etc.), and then after that maybe we'll see competing studios working together. It also kind of depends on whether another Big Five studio gets bought out in that time. Right now ViacomCBS has the smallest market share, but I'd bet on a Warner buyout over a Disney buyout.

In halcyon days of yore it didn't take omnimedia singularities concentrating every IP in existence to have cool crossovers

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, I think you underestimate how much CEOs hate the idea of another CEO making money from their IP, even if it makes them a lot of cash too.

It used to happen on TV all the time. See, I have this crazy theory about the kid from St. Elsewhere...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oasx posted:

Showing a speedsters powers as everything being in slow motion is just so boring, and makes the power tedious to watch. So if they can take Evan Peters and combine him with MCU Quicksilver’s better visual look then that is fine.

I'd say "imagine being this wrong about super speed effects" but you're literally wrong about everything all the time so

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I loved how at the first transition from inside to outside the Hex it slowly drew the aspect letterboxing in to make you aware of it, then it just popped in/out every time it switched settings. And then near the end when Wanda went into the basement and met Agatha for real, it slowly drew the letterboxing in again.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

Can’t have a woman be taller than a man.

Elizabeth Debicki needs more work.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It really isn't worth thinking about Thanos' plan realistically, because realistically wiping out half of all life on Earth and then bringing it back five years later wouldn't be the mild-to-moderate inconvenience the MCU portrays, it would be an extinction-level event that humanity would be lucky to survive with some fraction of post-industrial civilization intact.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ghostwritingduck posted:

While hugely disruptive, halving the world population would bring it back to 1960’s level. The sudden disappearance of half the world population could shatter society, but they also bounced back from an alien invasion like it was nothing.

"Hugely disruptive" is really underselling it. Population losses far lower have brought societies to the brink of collapse before, and they didn't happen instantly and indiscriminately across all sectors of human organization by magical fiat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4XgpB7WbYY

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah they basically grant the wish that you actually wanted, and not the usual twisted monkey's-paw-style lovely "You should have thought more carefully before saying anything" wishes

I prefer that Thanos ultimately hosed over the universe because that is the wish he actually wanted, whatever his dumbass stated goals. He was very clearly not a rational actor with self-actualized clarity of purpose, even if the movie made a lame attempt to bypass that criticism with the Soul Stone trial. All that proves is his monomaniacal desire to see his will done.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Marsupial Ape posted:

No that part. the part about superhumans sitting around crying about their feelings like it’s goddam Steven Universe

You suck

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron are both solid and rudely underrated.

Thor 2 is the worst of the franchise (unless you count Iron Fist or certain seasons of Agents of SHIELD), and even its not THAT bad.

mind the walrus posted:

It was also early days and Edward Norton supposedly thought he'd get more creative input on "the machine" than any one person really gets on any Marvel project. Honestly that movie is underrated. It's nothing mold-breaking but it's smartly and efficiently put together with a lot of nice little touches that make it one of the best versions of what it's trying to be-- e.g: good in the exact way most good MCU projects are.

People gotta stop using "underrated" when they mean "exactly properly rated but I like bland cinematic gruel anyway".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Sort of, but not for the reason you'd think.

Historically, up until the 1800's, most families only owned a single bed and literally everyone -- Mom, Dad, the kids, and guests -- slept in the same bed, often fully clothed, because furniture was expensive and the world was cold. Even in hotels, strangers were usually forced to share both a room and a bed. Around 1850, owing to a new but incomplete scientific understanding of how disease was spread, there was a concerted push by health authorities against people sharing beds: hotels forcing strangers to sleep in the same bed was outlawed in England, kids were generally pushed out and into their own beds, and eventually separate beds and separate rooms became a status symbol for wealthy and middle class married couples. It was essentially a Victorian health fad.

By the early 20th century there started to be pushback against Victorian norms, and sleeping in the same bed was seen as promoting a healthy marriage. By the 40's and 50s sleeping in separate beds was considered a sign of of a loveless marriage, but TV censors held onto the custom long after most of the public had abandoned it out of a sense of prudishness.

TLDR: they didn't make it up; it was a real, but outdated, thing.

Seriously did y'all not have grandparents or something, both of mine slept in separate beds their entire lives. Even after it stopped being the social standard they did it because they were old and set in their ways. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOUUUUU~~

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why can’t it just be what it is, a bittersweet line from one comic book character trying to comfort another?

Because twitter is a hell of our own making, that's why.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vision's corpse still had color in its cheeks so I wonder why Cataract went full limewash.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

Which game was this one? I just remember playing the one with the giant Apocalypse. It was badass.

Captain America And The Avengers, came out around the same time as the big 6-player X-Men brawler.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

We're in the middle of a pandemic and people are depressed (and lost love ones). Hearing that line and the context and the way it was delivered by Paul lifted them up a bit.

And social media assholes gotta be insufferable assholes when they see the chance.

I mean, this all started because someone who clearly has only watched genre movies their whole life said it was the greatest line in movie history and all screenwriters should look to it as the ur-example of their craft.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Someone said that the best modern arc for Batman for a shared universe is to have him start as a near-psychotic maladjusted weirdo who straight victimizes the mentally ill and criminally insane in Gotham (so you get the dark, gritty Batman neckbeards love) and then have him grow from the influence of other heroes that there's a better way and starts using his power as Bruce Wayne to both make Gotham and the wider world better. Have him actually grow up a bit.

I mean that'd play about as well as The Last Jedi did, but hey it makes dramatic sense.

This is almost his exact arc across BvS and ZSJL.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

kazil posted:

It's a prime weakness in that made up TV and movies act like this wouldn't hurt the smaller guy, yes.

Even though it was pretty inconsistent with the rest of the series, I'll still give credit to FatWS for having Battlestar just flat-out killed after being punched in the chest and thrown sideways into a support column. Super-strong villains who have no reason to pull their punches should be doing that to normal people all the time. After his first fight with one of those Flag-Smasher super soldiers Sam would've been in the ICU with a dozen broken bones and jello salad for a brain.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rarity posted:

They've already said Deadpool 3 will be in the MCU and R-rated so the barriers are going to start coming down

Can't wait to hear Mahershala Ali's take on motherfuckers and their attempts to ice skate uphill

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Iron fist season 2 is good precisely because it has less iron fist and more literally anyone else

And the ending is a perfect setup both for the main actor to not have to use his lovely martial arts training again and for Jessica Henwick to take over in the title role.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah prior to the turn of the century comics were aimed at kids and the dialogue is terrible. People loving love Claremont's run on Xmen but I can’t stand his writing.

I read a big collection of Aquaman comics from the Silver Age, and while they did come off as childish and simplistic compared to more modern fare, I decided that was as much a strength as anything else. Beneath the silly plots and simplistic dialogue there was a straightforward earnestness about doing the right thing and serving the common good that never felt naive or shortsighted as most (who have probably never read something from that era outside of Joker's Boners or Superdickery) would contest. And besides, a comic for children will never have an enraged hero tearing other heroes' limbs off or a villain sodomize a hero's wife.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The MCU Zombies episode ends on a hilariously upbeat note considering the physical state of most of the zombies and the fact that (much like the Blip SNAP) the world is irrecoverably hosed anyway.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Everyone posted:

Uhhh, did you watch the same episode as the rest of us? Because IIRC the episode ended with Zombie Thanos and his Infinity Stones in the ruins of the Wakandan City - which was where Peter, T'Challa and Head Scott were flying toward.

Actually yeah, I think I fell asleep during the binge or something. I thought it ended with them getting away from Vision and Zombie Wanda with the cure in the form of Head Scott and facing the prospect of curing the zombie-infected Earth by themselves, the end. I mean, it wouldn't have been the first one to end on a big downer note... but it looks like I have a rewatch in order.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

(spiderman death violence)

what the gently caress

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

kazil posted:

Nah I'm good not watching a 2 hour video about why someone doesn't like a TV show

People say this and then go on to read far more than two hours' worth of threads for shows they don't like

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

live with fruit posted:

Joe Rogan is an outlier. It's not like every C or D-list celebrity with a podcast blows up and there are a lot of them.

Even if she's not a Joe Rogan, she's still a celebrity with an outsized parasocial influence spouting dangerous disinformation about a pandemic that affects all of us. What's the upshot of your devil's advocate take here, that it's just fine to have her perspective in the marketplace of ideas? Did you even have one, or did you just think a goony moral panic was happening and need to get some contrarian digs in?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rarity posted:

Turns out you need more than 2/3rds of a population vaccinated to end a pandemic who woulda thunk it

And it'll take far more to not have the health system caving in on everyone else for all the other things besides the pandemic, too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

There was a really nasty current running through comics from the big two in the 2000s especially in the latter half. Marvel had that stuff and DC went headlong into retconning Dr Light into a rapist and then every single appearance from him had him saying or doing something depraved and it seemed like writers were in competition with each other to depict the grossest thing they possibly could. I don't really read comics much anymore but it feels like that stuff is less prominent if not entirely gone at least.

That particular kind of mean streak isn't as prevalent but modern comics are still very much a case of the inmates running the asylum, it's just much more an infinite meta-circlejerk of reinterpreting your childhood favorites to be THE definitive interpretation for the ages for about ten months before it gets retconned by the next guy.

fake edit: and a tiny conservative minority getting real caremad whenever something remotely progressive happens

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

404notfound posted:

My friend in high school died of cancer, and it was only later that I found out that his father was Jeph Loeb (which still meant nothing to me at the time). It's kinda sad to see how disliked he is in the comics/comics-adjacent fandom :smith:

That really sucks but it doesn't make Loeb any less of a lameoid behind the pen.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like the obvious recast is Sam Elliott if they still want to keep Ross in the story.

I feel like going back to the original should be called a decast but that sounds like settling for less and Sam Elliott is no one's lesser.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I don't see any point in filling in the blackouts, they served their narrative purpose and the end of the episode promised plenty of future action with Marc in control.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

XboxPants posted:

Thanks, that's all I was asking. I'm a pretty big leftist but we can still distinguish between like, literal chattel slavery and people that get to have their own homes, make life decisions, etc.

There's different grades of slavery, and I'd say "forced labor" is on that spectrum. And frankly, I'm skeptical of any reinterpretation of history 3,000 years after the fact that says "actually this one written account was wrong, we have the math to prove it". That'd be like historians thousands of years from now saying that modern starvation couldn't have been possible because we know mathematically that we were producing enough food and had the infrastructure to deliver it everywhere that it was needed, so this surviving contemporary account must be in error. People make systemically irrational decisions all the time, it would've been any different back then.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

kazmeyer posted:

Well, it's more like "if 20% of the population of Egypt suddenly up and walked off into the desert there would, you know, be some kind of evidence of that."

Really, the absence of evidence? Also, events as large and small as the invasion of the sea peoples and the existence of female gladiators are equally mythical if written accounts don't count as evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Conservative assholes. After the Edward Coulson statue went for a swim, loads of conservative commentators started talking about african slave traders. Which would maybe be relevant if someone was trying to put up a statue in Bristol saying how cool and good they were.

Don't forget the evergreen rehabilitation of one Christopher Columbus.