Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
one of my big questions, which I’m not sure will be answered anytime soon, is whether anything had to change in post-production or rewrites due to COVID-related film delays. I.e. FATWS was originally supposed to premiere three months after Black Widow but is now supposed to premiere two months before it, and it was rumored that it would follow up on certain elements of BW. Loki also seems like it would have been a fairly natural place for Eternals characters to show up had the original release calendar stayed intact, though that was never reported anywhere that I know of.

The_Doctor posted:

So honestly, it looks like Disney+ plans to continuously air a Marvel show week on week for all of next year. Going by the dates, it seems as if WandaVision will finish, and then F&WS starts up the following week, then the same with Loki.

pretty sure it won’t be quite *every* week in 2021, there are at least a few weeks in between WandaVision and FATWS for instance, but from the Dec. 10 announcements, it’s pretty clear that their goal is to have a release cadence of new Marvel Studios and/or Star Wars content almost every week in 2022, if not by the end of 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

WandaVision will have 6 episodes, premiering weekly from Jan 15th, which takes it up to Feb 19th. Then a month later Falcon and Winter Soldier premieres on March 19th, again for 6 episodes (April 23rd). Loki is coming out in May (the 21st would probably be a good bet).

they haven't announced anything specific for What If, Ms. Marvel, and Hawkeye, but July, September, and November seem like good guesses. so a cadence of one Marvel Studios premiere on Disney+ roughly every 2-3 months seems to be what they're going for,

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The social media impressions for WandaVision are mostly positive, but my main takeaway from them is that at least the first three episodes (which are the only ones made available to critics) mostly stick to the sitcom-pastiche format, and that it’s a slow burn with respect to the broader plot that establishes how exactly this alternate reality came to be and can exist in the post-Endgame MCU.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing if it’s executed well, it’s certainly an interesting creative choice, but it’s probably not what many of the fans who have been waiting for new MCU content for a year and a half were hoping for or expecting, so I wonder if there’ll be some backlash.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

I think you may be right. Having to delay FaWS might bite them in this regard because FaWS looks like the show that would establish the new status quo of the MCU post Endgame along with Far From Home.

it would be less of a risk if they were adopting the Netflix binge model, or at least releasing more than one episode a week following the two-episode premiere. but at the end of the day, I’d rather Marvel Studios take advantage of the new format to make big creative swings than just make six-hour, moderately lower-budget versions of their films. I just wonder how folks will take it

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Teek posted:

It also sounded like the episodes are shorter, but no exact run time was given that I’ve seen yet. Maybe they are sticking with an actual 23-24 minute sitcom length? I understand the pastiche hook, but that would kind of suck if all nine(?) episodes are like that. Hopefully they push closer to 30 minutes.

the first three episodes (the ones provided to critics) are confirmed to be 30 minutes each. the popular speculation is that they'll get longer as the series progresses and more of the story takes place in the MCU proper rather than the illusory sitcom alternate reality, which certainly makes sense to me, but we'll have to see.

Disney+, if they wanted to, could easily provide the episode runtimes for the whole season in advance without spoiling anything, but they didn't do that for The Mandalorian (iirc, they didn't provide screeners of either season to critics, so nobody knew how short many of the episodes would be until they premiered) and aren't doing that here.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

as for the question of how many episodes will mostly adhere to the sitcom-pastiche format, my total speculation is that it's the first five, since I think* that's the number of distinct sitcom eras we've seen in the marketing ('50s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 00s) and that the plot will shift gears significantly after that and episode length will get longer

*I realized while posting this that there might actually be two distinct black-and-white eras, so idk

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, that's news then. So it'll finish, and then Falcon & Winter Solder starts the very next week.

I think a two-episode premiere is confirmed, so there's a week in between, which they'll probably fill in with another pair of those Marvel Studios Legends clip things

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

Marvel's 616 was a pretty bizarre series. I get that they were showing diverse stories in the history of Marvel, but starting out with an hour about Japanese Spider-Man was a bonkers direction.

Paul Scheer's episode on deep diving to make obscure Marvel properties marketable should be its own entire series though.

Not a Marvel Studios series, though I should watch it just for the Scheer episode

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Actual WandaVision reviews are out, and in this case, they're largely in line with last week's Twitter reactions. some of them do contain bits I would consider spoilery (albeit nothing massive, given that only the first three episodes were provided to critics), so be warned

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/wandavision
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/wandavision

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

:f5: It's Friday here, Disney.

AFAIK, premiere time is midnight PST/3AM EST/whatever that is where you live, a bit over seven hours from now. though you likely already know that

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

verdict: I enjoyed the first two episodes and admire the commitment to the pastiche, but I'm not entirely convinced that the series needed to spend as much time establishing the alternate sitcom reality as it does; I suspect that those pacing decisions will hold up better in the context of the series as a whole, but Disney+ is doing weekly releases so I can only judge the episodes on that basis for now. anyway, very much looking forward to seeing where this goes

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

tsob posted:

I suspect the reasoning they did two episodes of old black and white sitcoms is that they wanted one episode in pure black and white where everything is mostly normal and clues to the abnormality of it only emerge at the end, and also wanted to put in a thing where Wanda sees hints of color around the place before everything becomes colorful at the end and thought that worked best as two seperate episodes, since if there was hints of color in episode one it'd throw off the feeling of normality and make it less of a simple pastiche until near the end of the episode.

Sure, but for now I feel like the general gist could have been condensed into one B&W episode. But like I said, I think the pacing here will more likely than not pay off later.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

There haven't been any previous hints in the MCU that Wanda has reality-altering or magical powers, as opposed to basically just being Jean Grey, right? So that's something I assume this show will address, on top of the even more obvious questions of how this sitcom world exists and why Vision is alive again.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

stev posted:

That's explicitly to make you binge it though. No one's going to sit through a 13 hour megaepisode and no one's going to slam that 'next episode' button if there's nothing to make you want to see what happens next.

Netflix usually just makes episodes however long they feel like, which has mixed results. Arrested Development had some 40 minute episodes that felt like they were 3 hours long.

there was definitely an expectation in streaming TV dramas for many years - and to what extent this was self-imposed by creatives, versus mandated by studio/streamer higher-ups, I honestly don't know - that everything should be structured as one single narrative broken into episode-length chapters, with more episodic types of story structure frowned upon; the Marvel Netflix shows were very much an example of that, often to their detriment (i.e. Jessica Jones would have worked much better with a procedural element than with each season focusing on only one major antagonist).

imo, it's only in the past few years that there's been a pronounced shift away from the "everything is a 13-hour movie" storytelling model (though we still get a lot of those sorts of shows, they just don't dominate streaming dramas as much as they used to)

Wylie posted:

In the MCU, Wanda got her powers by being experimented on with the Mind Stone itself.

well, yeah (there's speculation that WandaVision might retcon that in some way, but we'll see), but that doesn't directly have to do with the question

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 15, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

swickles posted:

Oh and Strucker got taken out in Agents of SHIELD back when the MCU and AoS were still coordinating. [/spoiler]

you're thinking of his son, the one who experimented on Wanda and Pietro was killed off in AOU

speaking of which, it would be pretty weird not to bring Aaron Taylor-Johnson back for at least an episode or two but I'm not quite convinced that's happening yet

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not being snarky or anything, but I genuinely wonder how MCU fans who’ve never seen or hold no nostalgia for 50s/60s sitcoms received these episodes?

I've only seen clips of those sitcoms and definitely don't hold any nostalgia for them, and my reaction is above (tl;dr: I mostly enjoyed it, not entirely sold on the decision to spend so much time playing the illusory sitcom reality straight but cautiously optimistic that it'll pay off in subsequent episodes)

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 16, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Robot Style posted:

Oddly enough Evan Peters is apparently in the show, so Quicksilver might still show up... just not her Quicksilver.

I've heard, still just a rumor for now though

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

it's honestly crazy to think that after the longest MCU hiatus since its earliest days, we're getting new Marvel Studios content at least 30-odd weeks this year (the exact number will depend on things like premiere dates, episode counts, and multi-episode premieres that haven't been announced yet), and that it seems that Feige et al. have every intention of maintaining that cadence going forward. hopefully they haven't overextended themselves

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

btw... what exactly was the point of Feige announcing that Teyonah Parris was playing Monica Rambeau a year and a half ago? I guess maybe plans for the character changed and she wasn’t originally going to be introduced as “Geraldine?” too bad, could have been a nice reveal

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Cael posted:

I'm really loving that the trailer seems to have been like 75% from just the first two episodes, and I'll bet that another 20% is from the next one. There's 7 episodes left after this week, and while some people have done spoilers for some of the future TV shows it'll be pulling from we know very little about how the majority will look or even what the endgame (lol) is for the overall arc. It's refreshing when you compare that to movie trailers where you get literally the entire movie from it.

I would agree that the promos haven't been too spoilery, but I think those metrics are a bit off

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

They held back the announcement of the Boba Fett show a week or so just so they could announce it at the end of Mando Season 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do something like this with Young Avengers. Maybe not literally in the end credits of WV episode 9, but relatively soon after the series ends.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

it feels to me like SWORD is just being used as a replacement for SHIELD with little regard for the differences between the two in the source material, but we’re only two episodes in and Secret Invasion is coming so we’ll see

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

DuhSal posted:

Honestly I think you're going to be disappointed if this is what you're hoping for. It's most definitely a high concept gimmick meant to enhance the superhero story. I wouldn't expect much deeper deconstruction from a marvel show. I'd appreciate that show too but it's definitely not that imo.

Thou I really enjoy this (and usually like most Marvel stuff anyway) and find it a pretty entertaining and fun show. I'm definitely hooked to see where it goes.

I would definitely be interested in watching that show too, but yeah, this is still a Marvel Studios superhero series at the end of the day, though I'm sure some people will try to read in deeper commentary than what it can actually support.

On a similar note, I also wouldn't recommend the show to people who haven't watched much of the MCU up to this point. I've heard the first two episodes praised for their accessibility, which I guess is true given that they play the sitcom pastiche mostly straight and only hint at how all of this fits into the bigger MCU picture, but it's pretty safe to say that the story is going to go in a direction that's a lot more reliant on preexisting continuity.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

show is still good, would be nice if it didn’t keep underscoring the shifts away from sitcom pastiche with ominous music and just let the changes in cinematography and acting style speak for themselves

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

my view on the slow-burn pacing is basically the same as it was last week: cautiously optimistic that all the time spent in the false sitcom reality will end up paying off in later episodes, but not entirely convinced that it will

hopefully, the ending of episode 3 means that the show is shifting gears going forward, because if we get another that sticks to the "[insert decade here] sitcom pastiche played mostly straight as cracks in the facade intermittently emerge" template, it'll be hard for me to say that it isn't dragging things out or being self-indulgent

An Ounce of Gold posted:

This is what I thought about episode 2. I skipped to the end just to watch the moving arc bit.

I'm a little bit disappointed in this. I was hoping for more of a mindfuck type of show where Wanda is bending realities, and while that IS what is starting to happen, I think this is moving WAY too slow for me. With what they have, maybe they should have done an hour special or something. Entertainment can be many things, but it shouldn't be boring. The slow crawl is boring me.

assuming that the first three episodes are the only ones that adhere to the aforementioned template, I do think it would have been better to at least premiere them all the first week, if not to condense them into one hour-long episode

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 22, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

It might be good for folks to manage their expectations a bit from here on out. I presume there's going to be at least three more episodes utilizing this sitcom gimmick. After which, though...who knows?

I mean, it's fairly clear that we're getting episodes where the sitcom portions are '80s, '90s, and '00s-themed, but hopefully this week's ending means that they pull back the curtain and advance the plot a lot more than the first three episodes did.

like... the audience knows from the very beginning of the series that the sitcom pastiche world is not "real" and cannot possibly be real. you can only spend so much time playing that aspect straight and expect viewers to stay invested rather than getting frustrated

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 22, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

stev posted:

Yeah the way they transitioned to widescreen was really odd. In previous episodes the slow transition was Wanda purposefully (or subconsciously) advancing the 'look' of the world to a new era of sitcom, so it didn't make sense to use the same effect to transition to an entirely different perspective.

The tiny little edit/rewind with Vision was my favorite thing in the series so far.
Perfectly executed.

The change in aspect ratio actually makes sense, given that this is the first time we've seen the "real world" in the series (aside from the bit with the monitors at the end of the first episode, which was also in widescreen

Gaz-L posted:

This is an odd take to me, because it suggests that score is somehow not part of the mise-en-scene for the sitcom genre vs the thriller/action vibe of the MCU stuff?

yes, but I don't think the "real world" creeping into the sitcom world needs to be underscored so heavy-handedly, and would be more effective if it wasn't

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

See, I’d be happier with just the sitcom poo poo, cut the wider plot out of it, sitcom scenarios are funny with comic book characters.

the below is just a joke tweet, but if the sitcom aspect were more like this, I'd honestly be a lot happier with it
https://twitter.com/benmekler/status/1352716116418650114
though I suppose it'd be harder to make the dramatic beats land if the sitcom parts were basically a parody of the "real" MCU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

eke out posted:

i hope there isn't some dramatic Vision Dies At The End thing and this is just an excuse for him to be alive again. i don't know if Bettany has already ruled out doing more Marvel or what, but he's a delight

my prediction is that Vision will be dead again at the end of the series (though Bettany could still return in flashbacks/cameos/etc) and that Wanda's failure to bring him back will be the main thing that drives her into whatever her role in Doctor Strange 2 is

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

The commercial in E3 is for blue hydra branded mind control soap

It was also during the framework story arc which was a simulated idealized reality with unwilling participants living out a single persons fantasy. Too many things line up

honestly this strikes me as AoS fans grasping at straws but I guess there's always a chance

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Spacebump posted:

At least one, potentially 3 major leaks are out/starting to come out for the show. Please don't post them here or if you do put a warning outside the spoiler tag. I accidentally saw one but won't make any reference to it in here.

won't say anything about the leaks here except that they seem to be not from next week's episode but the week after that. Wonder how the hell that happened.

edit: okay, I think I can add a bit more - the leaks appear to show more of the (I think) 90s stuff that's been in most of the promos, with Wanda in a cheap Halloween costume version of her classic comics costume. saying anything beyond that would entail actual spoilers

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 29, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Ignis posted:

I dunno about the bigger spoilers, but there's already official trailers with Wanda and Vision's Halloween costumes

that's what I said, that we've already seen countless promos showing Wanda and Vision in chintzy Halloween versions of their classic 616 looks. the leaks show... other things that happen in those scenes

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I think I said this a few pages back, but I still think Vision will be dead again at the end of the show and that Wanda's failure to bring him back will be one of the main things that drive her into her role in Doctor Strange 2. Maybe she gets faced with a choice between bringing him back and making Billy and Tommy real and chooses the latter, idk.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Black Panther spinoff series is coming to Disney+ as part of Ryan Coogler's newly announced overall deal with Disney

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1356332139986345984

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Funko Pops have leaked of child Billy and Tommy wearing some intriguing Halloween costumes

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

very glad that the plot is finally moving in full gear now that it can go back and forth between the sitcom world and the MCU proper. Not so glad that the "real world" plot is still mainly people in a high-tech government facility discussing what's going on in Westview, which doesn't make for terribly compelling drama.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I don't recall having any strong feelings about Darcy in the first two Thors, but honestly I think she sucks here. I think that's less on Dennings and more on the script tasking her with delivering so much exposition, as opposed to the wacky-sidekick role she previously played

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 5, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I have a theory about you-know-who but it's based on the leaked footage and it's not very specific anyway so whatever

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

so, barring the possibility that Aaron Taylor-Johnson returns as Pietro at some point in the last four episodes, I wonder whether there's bad blood between him and Marvel or whether he just didn't want to return. more likely the latter though

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

FoneBone posted:

re: the twins:
it seems weird that nobody at SWORD seems particularly concerned about Billy/Tommy, their abilities (?) or their overall significance, since i'd think they'd be key to Wanda's whole motivation here
of course i say that as a comic fan who knows that there's no way you introduce those characters without them playing a key role

re:Billy/Tommy, it’s weird that Monica immediately tells everyone that the twins are real but that nobody, including her, seems to care that much about the specific implication that Wanda is now so powerful she can create human life on her own when it should be biologically impossible. I mean, sure, everything else she’s doing in Westview is cause for concern but you’d think that’d stand out more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

Surprisingly we are gonna have a Vulture cameo in the Morbius movie. So they are already establishing that all these other characters are part of the MCU universe (or maybe another universe similar to MCU). I'm just laughing my rear end at knowing that Venom is part of it. All I have is wondering if Sony is allowed to use Thanos' snap in their movies.

what I've inferred - this is just speculation, but it seems like the most plausible scenario to me - is that, per the compromise Disney/Sony reached after their 2019 dispute, Sony is allowed to use the MCU versions of Spider-Man characters in their own Marvel movies, but (presumably) not to use or reference any other MCU characters or events. So Morbius et al. are MCU-adjacent, but not really in the MCU proper.

anyway, without getting into spoiler stuff about why, I do not believe that Evan Peters' character is the "real" Singerverse Pietro. there could well be actual multiverse stuff in the remaining episodes, but this isn't it

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 6, 2021