Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't Loeb lose his mind after his son died and started writing exclusively brutal violence to the point of literally killing the Ultimate Universe?

Loeb is also a racist who said "no one cares about Asian people". He also had a role in ruining Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes because he hated 2 or 3 part stories and insisted every episode be self-contained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

stev posted:

I had to look up who that was. Are the pre-D+ series' still considered canon or are they Star War Legends now?

I don't see why Darkhold in Agent Carter (which definitely is canon, Jarvis is in it), AOS (also features Carter) and Runaways wouldn't be canon. But just like actual comics, you probably shouldn't think about it too hard. You could always say "oh this was a different Darkhold/it was a book mistaken as darkhold" or something.

It'll be interesting to see how much of the Darkhold in AOS is actually kept. As based on that series, extensively reading the thing is not a good idea if you're trying to not be a genocidal maniac.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

This is why racist as gently caress cops get away with so much poo poo. “It’s not his fault, he’s just a bit of an rear end in a top hat”. Walker is what happens when that jock who peaked in high school fails upward, usually they become cops, but he’s somehow walked into becoming a superhero.

But is he really an rear end in a top hat at this point? We don't see him be an rear end in a top hat until Bucky and Sam brush him off for like the 6th time.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

NM

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 23, 2021

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Boxman posted:

why was Karli at all a match for Walker? She could deal with him when she was powered up and he wasn't, but after he got juiced, he's a well trained, top notch soldier in the US military, and she's...a teenager.

My read on this is that Walker's PTSD and rage makes him sloppy.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Anyone who paints The Joker as Fight Club or White Male Rage is basically whatever the movie version of illiterate is... I think we call it “stupid”? This was the projection put into place by mass media outlets and woke-scold leftists who had never seen the film but DESPERATELY wanted it to incite violent shootings. It was among some of the weirdest behavior I’ve ever seen from media in my entire life. They spent months warning people this would cause violence and masa shootings because... I honestly don’t even know! It was so weird and insane! There is literally no way to actually watch the film and accept what is happening on screen and come away with the take you’ve posted.

Don't forget how media transformed the 2012 mass shooting nutjob who dressed in tactical gear into "he dressed as Joker and shot people, what if it happens again>?!?!?!?!"

This country is weird in that tons of police overtime and millions of dollars is spent securing one movie rollout even though tons of much more violent films are released every year, but we won't fund mental health care or even you know general health care.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Another really good episode. Some of the VA from the movie stars has been off but Jackson (who has done VA before) and Michael Douglas were great. Clark Gregg's role is pretty much indistinguishable from anything else he has done. The VA replaced for Widow was also really good, honestly a good chunk of this was a Widow show and I'd like to see more of alternate Widows going forward.

Also I just loved seeing Hulk destroy some US military poo poo. I know we've moved that character beyond, and issues with Universal will prevent us from ever getting another Hulk movie. But drat did it feel right seeing Hulk rip up military industrial complex poo poo.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

live with fruit posted:

Is Kingpin a mutant or did he take the SSS or something? He seems powered up to the point of suspicion within the MCU and it's pre-established rules.

Reading his early comic appearances, Kingpin certainly seems to be enhanced in some way as he could go toe-to-toe with Spidey who has super strength and other powers. When he became more of a criminal mastermind rather than the top thug and then a Daredevil villain, he's often gotten a power nerf to be able to compete with the more street level heroes who don't have super strength

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I went back and watched Falcon/Winter Soldier over the weekend and I actually liked it for the most part.

The Isaiah sub-plot and how they handled it was about as "realistic" as you could pull off in a Marvel show about what happens to black people every day in America and I liked the way they worked through Sam Wilson taking up and putting his own perspective on the Captain America mantle.

Why did people in this thread not like it?

Flag Smashers had really vague goals and no real core motivation. There's some rumors that indicate their initial plan was to release a virus around the world which launching when the show did, probably wouldn't be a good look. So instead their goal is...uh...get super powers, and maybe cause some a little bit of headaches for the UN-ish agency? They weren't actually super evil until the last episode.

Also Sam's speech at the end was really, really long and the content of that speech considering what the Flag Smashers had just done really didn't land well, at least to me.

Also some of the dialogue throughout the show is just a bit clunky and really on-the-nose. Walker saying "You don't think Lemar's life matter" got me out of the moment.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

tsob posted:

What was the other one? What was the shared premise, even?

Inhumans?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

404notfound posted:

My friend in high school died of cancer, and it was only later that I found out that his father was Jeph Loeb (which still meant nothing to me at the time). It's kinda sad to see how disliked he is in the comics/comics-adjacent fandom :smith:

I'm sorry about your friend. I can't imagine what it would be like losing a friend at that young of an age.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Timby posted:

The thing with Loeb is that he fundamentally has one story to tell: Some sort of mystery winds up involving nearly every ally and every member of a character's rogues' gallery (often for very tenuous reasons), there will be some very non-sensical misdirection and then it suddenly gets wrapped up out of nowhere.

And in those stories, he is always paired with an A-list artist.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

X-Men 97: So uh Did Rogue and Magneto have a relationship in the original show that I forgot about???

Also this really is a Day After continuation. Lots of small little tech details like the use of walkman cassette tape players being used.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Three episodes in and we're already in with confusing timelines . cool

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So was the villain at the end Shadow King?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

God that intro sequence is awesome. Hulk is actually like a threat, a monster, you don't know if he's going to be a hero or he's going to just rampage through it all.

Not that I don't enjoy the MCU version but I'd love to have a more horror-based Hulk film.