Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gavok posted:

There's a clever little Easter egg in the dinner scene. The wine she pours is called Maison du Mepris, which translates to "House of Contempt." But there's emphasis on the M on the neck of the bottle, suggesting House of Mepris/House of M. House of M being the big Marvel story where Wanda rewrote reality on Earth completely.

Comics stuff: In the same way they used Planet Hulk stuff in Ragnarok, I'm assuming this is how House of M is happening in the MCU, except with vision being the loss instead of the kids. Also at the end of this one she's gonna say "No more Inhumans"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That mask better be permanently attached to his face because of a glue accident or NO SALE

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a half hour show, my god

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll note that Olsen didn't say "there will be a cameo on par with the Mandalorian", the interviewer was like "Oh are there any surprises in store, like with Luke" and she was like "oh, yeah." So I'd moderate my expectations and not expect Iron Man and Steve Rogers to drop in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait, was there an explanation for the Captain? Of course when I read it I didn't know that half of the people were actually real Marvel characters. Elsa Bloodstone? Machine Man?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Elsa Bloodstone is one of those D-list characters that's kind of just popped up all over the place now. She was randomly in the last Jessica Jones comic series. There's a big mystery about low level super-ladies getting offed by a serial killer and all of a sudden, there's Elsa and Jessica fighting fish-men under the 59th St bridge

Oh I know about them now, just not when I read Nextwave back before I was a "comics guy"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I think people are more hyped because of Bettany's comment about an actor he's always wanted to work with showing up as a surprise that hasn't leaked. Her comment/the story on it came later so some people are probably combining the two stories/actor's comments for their speculation.

Oh no, the outlet specifically framed it as a "Luke Skywalker Tier surprise walk on" so people can be forgiven for being misled.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of the truly great character turnarounds, Sky loving sucked out of the gate. When she has that Tancheron-directed long take gun fight, I was like, I cannot believe how credibly they’ve made this character into a cool badass.

Ward too but that was on purpose. :ssh:

I feel like it's gonna suffer with time since the Inhumans stuff was kind of dumb and it's gonna get dropped like a hot rock now that Marvel has mutants again.

zoux fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 5, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's genius, they can bring over all the popular character castings. Opens the door for Fassbender and McAvoy even. And any other good characters from those movies, if there are any, idk I didn’t watch past DoFP. Dragoon Jennifer Lawrence back in. Rumor is they're doing a whole Spiderverse thing with the next MCU spidey movie, bringing in Garfield and McGuire. Also, interesting that the first cross-company major character crossover in comics also involved a speedster :ocelot:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

are most people liking Monica more than I am? Teyonah Parris is doing what she can with the material, but she doesn’t have much in the way of discernible character traits beyond “is sad about her dead mom” and “wants to help Wanda”

I like her quite a bit, she's got an easy charisma that shines through the, as you said, mediocre character traits she's been given.

So we all agree Vision is back alive and in the MCU again permanently now right (until he gets killed off in Avengers 8: Adrian's Revenge)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Black Widow the Movie is now relevant to this thread.

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1374430317650448389

Also Disney is saying that FatWS is their most watched premiere ever. Given that it's more of a traditional Marvel movie, it doesn't surprise me that it beat WV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In my ongoing quest to get people to read more comic books: the Fraction/Aja on Hawkeye run is 22 self-contained issues, requires almost no knowledge of continuity, develops a minor character from a different team book into a fan favorite, is hilarious, has gorgeous, dynamic, fun art laid out in interesting ways and is available in its entirety on Marvel Unlimited.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone else feel like the characterization of Zemo in Civil War is completely different from the one in FatWS? I wouldn't say that's categorically a bad thing but the last we saw of the dancin' dude he was trying to blow his brains out after completing his nihilistic master plan.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People very seldom die in MCU brawls, so it made sense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What Ultron shouldn't have been is a Whedon-style quipster. Just zero menace, especially given the "no strings on me" trailer which made it look like he was going to be an ominous, unsettling villain instead of a "Well, that just happened" joke guy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pr0p posted:

I didn't really like this series but I like the Captain America we got out of it. Falcon was boring AF before, but I feel like with the wings, dual drones, and the shield he has a really fun dynamic and they got some great action out of it. It's entirely possible I am forgetting some badass Sam moments from earlier. I mostly just remember Ant Man reaming him.

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1385264023998898184

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The file id'ed that as a Category Eight hurricane

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol, Loki is murdering it on streaming so much that D+ is moving all new releases to Wednesdays

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know that it keeps people subscribed longer and keeps shows in the media conversation longer, but the weekly format for streaming shows that D+ is using is obnoxious. Especially after Netflix established how convenient it is to watch a season at your own pace by releasing a whole season at once.

Feels like it is going to set "the model" for other streaming services and rollback the idea that full season streaming releases are the norm.

It's not what I prefer, at all, but I guess they have data showing them that the week-to-week release works best for sub numbers so I expect that to be the way of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ymgve posted:

Stupidly overthinking things, but I noticed the TVA logo upside down reads VAL. VAriant Loki is behind all of TVA?

I think this is a horrible future where the Tennessee Valley Authority got too much power

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comicswise, Echo was created by Brian Michael Bendis and artist David Mack during BMB's very good DD run in the early 2000's, so the character is part of that sphere of the Marvel universe. Also David Mack is a collagist and I hate collagists!

E: apparently she was created by Mack and Joe Quesada in '99 but it was that BMB run in New Avengers where she was heavily featured. Sorry it's confusing, Bendis wrote every Marvel book from 2000-2008.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 16, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Looks like a cover of a Sandman trade.

It's fine as a cover, and I'm not sure if that page is a cover or not, but Mack's interiors looked just like that and as a person who prefers clean lines and flat colors in my comic books I hated reading those issues.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I read that in the recent comics Maya is the host of the Phoenix Force, because reasons

Last I saw she got killed off in a Moon Knight mini (where he was alternatively being possessed by Wolverine, Captain America and Spiderman)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rewatched the Girls Night scene because Florence Pugh is crazy charismatic and I gotta think that scene goes up there with some of the great talky MCU scenes like Vulture Puts It Together and the Mjolnir Party.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cap was a swatch man

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

My bet is that it contains pictures of Clint in blackface.

It was a different time!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I watched BW like a month ago so I wasn't around for the discourse, but I feel like I missed out on a Yelena love-fest. People loved her just as much in the movie right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everyone posted:

Just got back from it and really enjoyed it. The final credits scene seemed to be a trailer for Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness that pretty much declared "Training wheels are off now, D-bitches. Sign up for Disney+ or be lost forever."

It's kind of funny that the exact same thing that comics readers have been bitching about forever - too many tie-ins, too many crossovers, have to buy too many books to know what's going on, increasingly convoluted continuities involving multiple realities - are being exactly replicated in the comic book movie world too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mirotic posted:

Re Kingpin being the same or not (link spoils finale of Hawkeye): D'Onofrio played him as being the same man, but lost a lot of power with the Blip.

D'Onofrio is such a cool dude.

I didn’t get a good look, were those THE cufflinks?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would highly recommend the Fraction/Aja run of Hawkeye that this show was loosely based on, because the Clint/Kate relationship is at the heart of it, and they’re best buds from panel one. 25 issues, completely its own thing with barely a reference to the rest of 616.

I was somewhat disappointed the series didn’t have some sort of boat caper.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When MU first dropped I read almost every Marvel comic published since 2000. Took me months, and it really doesn’t take that long to read a single issue.

Rarity posted:

I really need to read some Kate Bishop stories but I'm currently doing a complete Marvel readthrough and I don't want to jump ahead :ohdear:

Her early stuff in the original Young Avengers wasn’t anything special, it was Fraction who turned Kate into the fan fave character she is today.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 25, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

When will the new spider man be on a steaming service ?

Given the state of the box office, I'd guess march or april.

cant cook creole bream posted:

This sort of feels like trying to catch up with The News by starting at the beginning.
Godspeed to you!

I feel like I have a fairly extensive knowledge of Marvel comics, but I've never read anything from the last century.

Yeah prior to the turn of the century comics were aimed at kids and the dialogue is terrible. People loving love Claremont's run on Xmen but I can’t stand his writing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol. I think there might be just the odd few that scraped through as decidedly adult before that.

Yes, I should've said “primarily aimed at kids”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/vincentdonofrio/status/1474872429088415744?s=21

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which Jean’s genes? The Jean in jeans?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People have been making various comparisons to other animated stuff but to me it most resembles this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Otaq2tmNMM

That's not meant to be critical, I really like that short.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Morrison's New X-men was the first superhero book I read whenever I started reading comics, so I loved this. There's a shot that's almost identical to this panel except at night, I'd grab the screenshot but I'm not at home. I love how they are melding the 2000s stuff into the TAS universe/style.

I think that everyone who is dead is dead and this is going to be fixed by Cable and moved back to status quo ante. My only question is do they run it out as a kind of AoA/DoFP dystopia for a few episodes to allow them to do crazy things with characters before Cable and Bishop probably fix it, or do they fix it next week. I hope the former.

Gambit powers question: Not that I really care but just curious: isn't charging up an entire wild sentinel master mold a little beyond him?

The show got me wanting to read X-men comics - I dropped off not too far into the X-men Red/Blue era - so I jumped in at HoX/PoX and everything is so weird. everyone is back alive! No, that's not Reed "The Maker" Richards, that's professor X, who's back alive! No that's not old man logan, that's the OG Logan, who's back alive! No, that's not Jean Grey from the past, it's OG JG who's back alive!

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 11, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DiscoJ posted:

Also, the show runners actually outright said at some point that there are moments where they choose to prioritise coolness over consistent logic. Gambit charging Wolverine claws was one such moment.

Yeah like I said I don't really care, why it kind of stuck out to me is that the sentinel goes "Omega Threat Detected" while looking at Gambit and then its POV switches to Magneto. Didn't know if they were hinting at something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a version of him that shows up in the 90s from an alternative universe where his training began essentially at conception and idk if Omega Level was a thing back then but New Sun Gambit probably woulda qualified. I think he's got the old "mental block" trick that limits 616 Gambit's power and ability to use it on organic material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, that'll happen.