Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

GateOfD posted:

never watched the X-Men: Dark Phoenix or Apocalypse movies, maybe I should get on it just to complete the viewing circuit

Apocalypse had its fun moments. Dark Phoenix, on the other hand, might be worse than X3. Sophie Turner just isn't very convincing, the tone just makes the whole thing a slog, and it stinks of panicked reshoots contributing everything feeling disjointed and empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've been surprised that has there has been no news on a live action X-Men movie yet. That seems like a good way to reinvigorate the MCU going forward.

Even though there have been a few fun series and films post-Endgame, they really should have come back like a year later (or whenever rights were straightened out) with a big new tentpole film like a Fantastic 4 or X-Men to mark the new phase, rather than trying to build out characters that don't really have that heft in the public consciousness. All this multiverse stuff would have worked a lot smoother had it started with F4 and been built out from there.

They really didn't seem to realise that even if a character has been a big celebrated part of the comics for a decade or so, they'd feel like a weird ancillary character to the comic book movie audience at large. Not just characters like Moon Knight or Ms Marvel, but even Sam Wilson doesn't have that iconic pull of characters who have been established since the 60's. I think the only 'new' Marvel character that can really cut it in that mainstream sense is probably Miles Morales.

Even Iron Man hitting it big as an MCU character was a fluke, really, and down to being the first film in the franchise.

At this stage, is the MCU now the biggest example going of the late capitalist content pipeline churn devaluing a beloved franchise? Does this eclipse Star Wars or The Simpsons?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Barnes is so good. I'm not a huge Spiderman fan - I saw the Reimi movies and TAS - and it's kinda funny to me to see the revisionism about Maguire-man. For 20 years I heard people mock his performance. Now, Bully Maguire is good, but that's because he's finally having fun. That was what people (rightfully) hated about his performance, Spiderman simply wasn't fun. Maybe Maguire was an okay Peter but he was not a good Spiderman. It's the same deal with Bale in The Dark Knight. One of the most acclaimed superhero films of all time but everybody knew his Batman was a loving joke. ("WGERE ARE THEY?!!?"

With TAS, I could see why people loved Spiderman so much.

I agree with you here, there's a lot of hollywood schlock/being embarraased by the source material in those old films, and they only make it to the top of people's ranking lists because they're the films from their childhood. Even X2, which I think holds up on its own merits, is still a Hollywood action film adaptation as opposed to being a full-fat comic book film. Like, the later films definitely got a lot more characters much closer to the source material - including 'iconic' roles like Xavier, Magneto, Nightcrawler...

In terms of Spider-Man I think Tom Holland's version of Spiderman is really the first time they nailed the character on-screen.

In terms of the animated series, aren't they doing an animated prequel to the Tom Holland version? Is that still on the cards?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Magneto was right :colbert:

Wasn't a super huge fan of how quickly all the human sentinel hybrids were defeated.

I don't think that's going to be the end of them

Also, as others have said, some really fun cameos that just fill the world out a lot more Hello Doom! . Honestly, each new episode makes a more and more convincing case that the MCU should just be animated. This feels like the best-realised screen version of just about any comic franchise I've ever seen.

Watching it, you can't help but think of all the weird compromises that come with a live action comic book universe - from actors aging out of parts (or getting cancelled out of parts), to multi-film stories not quite coming together due to all sorts of movie business and real world problems and so much more.

I wasn't sure about the Marvel animation stuff because What If always looked so wooden to me, but the style and animation of 97 is just fantastic. Just throw the whole MCU out and make it animated.

I also love how Nightcrawler looks in HD. Those glowing eyes!

Here's a question though, from someone that doesn't remember the original cartoon too well. How did they deal with Wolverine's claws? As in, I'm guessing they wouldn't have wanted to ever show him stabbing or maiming someone. Were there any goofy sleight of hand compromises in the coreography? Did he just slice up robots?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Senerio posted:

Magneto was right.

I feel like this should just be the new thread title at this point

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

What fucks with my brain is that there is a non-zero chance that this show may actually get through to some people. Like, some dude in his 40s with bad politics looking in the mirror and saying “am I the cyber zombie in this situation”?

huge swaths of the internet watch The Boys and come away with unironic admiration for Homelander as the secret hero of the story. We are all in our bubbles now. X-Men 97 is great, but it's a work of social commentary, not an act of intervention. It won't get through to anyone who isn't already on the same side.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Perhaps I'm just lucky or don't hang out with weirdos but I have never seen a single person seriously claim Homelander is remotely heroic. At best, all I've seen is sympathy for the hosed up way he was raised that ensured he never had a chance but that's it, the man he became is a monster through and through.

That's what I'm saying - you don't hang out with those people, but they're out there, hanging out with each other. We are all siloed off culturally.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I think that number is probably zero is what I'm saying. Still a great cartoon.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

If you live in a world where people are incapable of growth and change, that’s your deal. That’s what I’m saying.

I'd like to drop this now, but of course everyone is capable of growth and change. It's really fantastic that you find the series inspiring from a social politics standpoint - and it's a huge achievement on the part of the show that it is able to feel inspiring and genuine in that regard without also feeling compromised or tokenistic like a lot of other Disney efforts.

But that's what I mean when I say that although it is social commentary, it's just not an intervention for anyone with bigoted views. For anyone to have that moment of realisation in the mirror that you described earlier, you have to actively engage with people (i.e., intervene) to change their minds on the big stuff. A cool cartoon with smart dialogue that occasionally touches on the politics of modern civil rights is sadly not that active engagement.

You also have to remember that X-Men stories have been doing this in some form since the very beginning. I think X-Men as a series in general is very good at helping people (especially younger people) who are marginalised in some form navigating all the complexities of what that means, and feeling like they're not alone in their experiences of marginalisation. But it doesn't work as a means to change the tides - probably because it is allegorical and not explicit. Even after all this time, those people with 'bad politics' have also internalised as part of those bad politics the idea that it's just people forcing a liberal agenda onto entertainment who say that x-men is an allegory for racism/othering/marginalisation.

I dont mean to be a huge downer or burst your bubble here. It's just that the audience for all that sharp dialogue about the world today simply isn't those people and isn't what will change them (its us). I think if you sat down with your weirdo bigoted uncle and made him watch X-Men 97 and then talked to him about his politics it would end badly.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 2, 2024

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Ignoring the ‘original character’ comment as either a misunderstanding or a red herring, because I don’t think they’d waste Esposito on a newly invented character, I think he’d make an okay Doom, provided he hammed it up appropriately and didn’t play the same version of the same character he’s been playing since breaking bad

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Doom is one of those characters where it’s like yes, on one level he’s ’sympathetic dictator’, but also most portrayals of him really hammer home that he is terminally insecure, so the sympathy really comes from writing that effectively and relatably portrays his considerable personal shortcomings . I think it’s really up to readers to separate the ‘this guy is fun to read’ from the ‘this guy is cool as hell’.

He’s a cautionary tale about being your own worst enemy, and I think his best (and funniest) writing seems to come from there. I really like that comic where he’s about to save the world by shutting down some moon portal, until Reed Richards calls to wish him good luck, and then it all quickly goes to poo poo because he starts to second guess why RR would say that.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

This panel makes me think of maybe the funniest bit in The Boys, where there's a Regan-era TV movie starring their version of Captain America, fighting the soviets in Afghanistan alongside 'our brave mujhadeen brothers'.

Which also does make me realise that over their 60-odd year span, the comics have largely done a much better job of staying out of complicity in the Military Industrial Complex than the MCU has (even though the first Iron Man film at least started as a critique of the MIC). I don't know if that's the disneyification of things, the US government's tanks 'n fighter jet Hollywood subsidies, or what.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 7, 2024

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not judging the movie based on the image, but it is a weird first image to show, Superman casually putting his shoes back on while something major happens outside. It's not super exciting. But I guess it's meant to show this is just everyday stuff to this Superman? He seems bored. Yay new Superman movie?

Also, I can't say exactly why, but I get some vague GotG 3 vibes from it.

It's not exactly the same, but it's there, I think.

I read somewhere it was the same costume director Gunn worked with on his Marvel films, which explains a lot. I kind of like the idea of the outfit feeling like a space man combat suit. I think the picture works well as a tease.

I think like a lot of other people I expected it would be a more back to basics set of bright flat textures, but you also can't get a good sense of anything from this one still. I suspect in motion it will still feel more 'classic' than more recent films. I mean fans are still making some crazy statements about it on social media.

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I feel like that's a reference to Rambo 3, which is dedicated to the "brave Mujahideen warriors in Afghanistan" or something like that.

Oh, nice! That's funny.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 7, 2024

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

I don't understand why Cyclops Prevents Xavier from forcing Magneto to reverse the damage. The only thing I can think of is he's worried that if Magneto reverses the damage and electricity is restored, the prime sentinels could put the Blue Team in danger? But he just saw a psychic vision from Jean of her apparent death?

I didn’t get this either.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Gangringo posted:

This is why I've never liked the X-Men as a metaphor for oppressed minorities. When one of them can literally end all life on earth because he feels like it, and they go around referring to themselves as something other than human fear of mutants seems pretty drat justified.

The whole point of the entire X-Men is that because we the readers/viewers spend time with them, we know that they're people just like us behind the super powers. It's not supposed to be a one to one corollary with oppressed minorities - by making mutants 'actually dangerous' it's basically saying 'if you can find compassion with these lovable outcasts who could hypothetically end the world (but won't because they are people), then you can definitely live side-by-side with people who are different to you but who don't have godly superpowers'.
It also acts as more of a reflection of the appearance of repressed minorities, heightening it by upping the ante by making those imagined 'but what if all these oppressed people rose up' fears of bigots into something more severe.

If anything, what undermines the thrust of the series is that everyone looks like a supermodel, not that they have super powers. Even our boy Glob has a certain je ne sais quoi to him

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 9, 2024

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

"Do you want Onslaught? Because that's how you get Onslaught."

The costume changes were cool but a bit weird, like there didn't seem to be a reason they did it? Also Storm had already changed outfits (and how did that happen anyway? Nemesis magic?) And I think they should have leaned more into Morph's AoA/Exiles gear and colours or just not bothered, I thought the functionless shoulder pads looked weird.

The mansion got blown up and those were the costumes in the safehouse or whatever that other place is. It's implied that they're older costumes.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

The paraffin jelly fetish enjoyer has logged on.

He has good posture! Probably uses a standing desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of X-Villains, I did have a thought.

After Magneto and Apocalypse, who is the most famous X -Men enemy? Sinister? Juggernaut? Does anybody else even come close to Mags and Apoc?

The actual answer to this is Mystique because of those first x men blockbusters. She probably goes ahead of apocalypse too.