Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

GyroNinja posted:

The real "winner" is probably the 1976 Buccaneers, who were shut out 5 times, had only 3 games within a single score, and lost 9 games by three or more scores. They still hold the record for the worst point differential in league history at -287, which means they lost each game by an average of 20.5 points. Sure, they only went 0-14 instead of 0-16, but they did lose the first 10 games of their next season, which makes for the longest losing streak in NFL history that can't be blamed on WW2.

also when they finally won a game it was so embarrassing for the saints that heads rolled

e:

quote:

The Saints were 11-point favorites before the game,[5] and fans booed as the Buccaneers scored. "Eleven years I've supported this franchise!" one shouted, adding, "With all this money I've spent on this lousy team I could have bought some land in Colombia and raised pot". Losing to a team with a 0-26 losing streak was so humiliating that safety Tom Myers said, "We've been made the laughingstocks of the business ... I'm too embarrassed to say that I play for the team that got beat by Tampa Bay". Said head coach Hank Stram, "We're all very ashamed of what happened today. Ashamed for our people, for our fans, the organization, everybody. It is my worst coaching experience". Team owner John Mecom said during the loss that the Saints "is a poorly coached team",[6] and Stram was fired January 28, 1978.

quote:

Before the game, John McKay had read the team an article in which Saints’ quarterback Archie Manning stated that it would be disgraceful to lose to Tampa Bay. Inspired by the statements, the Buccaneer defense yelled, "It's disgraceful! It's disgraceful!" at him as the clock wound down.[107] Saints coach Hank Stram was so outraged at the defeat he allegedly ordered the game film burned.

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Its comforting that as bad as 2020 is, some things never change

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

wandler20 posted:

I think that game yesterday broke my step dad's brain (Vikings fan so probably already broke, poor guy). He said he'd still take Bailey over the Bucs kicker who has missed 2 FGs all year. Something about the 6th best kicker in NFL history.

Nah, because at least this way he knows what he’s getting, why bother with hope?

Lol j/k, doesn’t matter who we get they’ll always miss, it is the Way

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

NattyBo posted:

Football Team Defense could be a bad matchup if we make the playoffs. Will be interesting to see what we can do vs Seattle this weekend.

Chase Young is a god

He's going to line up across from a backup right tackle. Russ is going to experience the "victory wine" dril tweet.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

shirts and skins posted:

He's going to line up across from a backup right tackle. Russ is going to experience the "victory wine" dril tweet.

Wait, are you talking about Cedric O. vs Chase Young?

*tuggs collar theatrically* hoo boy

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I was pretty happy about the Dolphins being competitive against the Chiefs but god loving dammit:

https://twitter.com/GhostOfAdamGase/status/1338551216327045121

I knew they got hosed on some of the non-calls but I didn't realize it was that bad.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Next year the Dolphins could be good. Very good, in fact!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

SalTheBard posted:

Broncos - 5-8
Eagles - 4-8
Browns - 9-3
Titans - 9-4
*Ravens - 7-5
Cowboys - 4-9

They also ALMOST lost to a COVID depleted Ravens team

(* divisional team they have beaten twice)

The Pats have as many wins against teams over 500 as the Steelers do lol

Of course they also got shithoused by SF and didn't even show up to the stadium to play Denver :v:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I was pretty happy about the Dolphins being competitive against the Chiefs but god loving dammit:

I knew they got hosed on some of the non-calls but I didn't realize it was that bad.

This is the kind of thing that's been happening all season to every team.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Magnanimous of the tweet author to say nothing and let us be the judge.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I've said it before, but the NFL has either let refereeing quality slip to the point that it feels like teams are getting hosed constantly or they are using refs to put thumbs on the scale in some games to try to drive various goals and narratives.

I know the most likely and reasonable explanation is the former by a long shot, but I would be absolutely unsurprised if someone came out with evidence of the latter.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, there were almost 23 offensive holding calls per team last year and we're currently at 12.3.

The Chiefs lead the league with 20 this year, to the Jaguars 37 last year. The Chiefs are going ham because they know it's not being called.

wilderthanmild posted:

I've said it before, but the NFL has either let refereeing quality slip to the point that it feels like teams are getting hosed constantly or they are using refs to put thumbs on the scale in some games to try to drive various goals and narratives.

I know the most likely and reasonable explanation is the former by a long shot, but I would be absolutely unsurprised if someone came out with evidence of the latter.

This is what the NFL wants. The refs could call as much offensive holding as you want, but don't because teams didn't have training camps this year, and offense is way more popular to watch then defense.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

pays 2 be the chiefs

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

The Chiefs lead the league with 20 this year, to the Jaguars 37 last year. The Chiefs are going ham because they know it's not being called.

Also because they can't pass block for poo poo and no one wants to be responsible for getting Mahomes killed.

e: On the bright side they are also pretty terrible at run blocking! To be fair they're missing 2 of their better guys due to a Covid opt out and injury.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 14, 2020

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
They remember last year when holding was made a special focus and everyone was furious about how dumb everything got.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We're on to New Orleans

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I get that you need to let some holding happen to keep games watchable but they should be calling the choke hold poo poo every time.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Chiefs OL blows rear end and has like 1 quality starter on it at the moment (Eric Fisher) so let them hold

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The nfl told the refs to stop calling holding so much, so they did. Which means when holding gets called is now as subjective as when pass interference gets called. Which means fans get to get angry when it inevitably benefits the good/media favorites and harms the opposite.

Its the same story as always, nfl just sucking rear end.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hil has had 200 yards and 4 touchdowns called back on holds.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/Chargers/status/1338573005325135872?s=19

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If o-line holding isn't going to be called, then neither should defensive holding on route runners be called.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Figures Cowboys starting tackles and QB all die in the season where holding is legalized. Tyron Smith has never committed an illegitmate act of holding, and I will die on this hill.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Finger Prince posted:

If o-line holding isn't going to be called, then neither should defensive holding on route runners be called.

Holding/PI should legitimately be redefined in the off-season because it is ridiculous how such gigantic calls (kills or saves drives respectively) are so subjective that even fans and commentators can be utterly confused when they get called.

At least ticky tack roughing calls have a purpose - to prevent injury. A ticky tack holding call doesn't do that and just tips game balances in one teams favor.

And while I'm adding to my wishlist of things that won't happen, offsetting penalties are dumb and they should just chip the ball so they know where to spot it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

really queer Christmas posted:

Holding/PI should legitimately be redefined in the off-season because it is ridiculous how such gigantic calls (kills or saves drives respectively) are so subjective that even fans and commentators can be utterly confused when they get called.

At least ticky tack roughing calls have a purpose - to prevent injury. A ticky tack holding call doesn't do that and just tips game balances in one teams favor.

And while I'm adding to my wishlist of things that won't happen, offsetting penalties are dumb and they should just chip the ball so they know where to spot it.

yeah at least change it to 5 yards instead of 10 for offensive holding . you might even see it called more that way, but maybe thats another problem

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The problem with chipping the ball is unless you also chip every part of the player's body that contacts the turf, then you still don't know where to spot the ball.

That said, yeah, PI should be a 15 yard penalty, and defensive holding shouldn't be an automatic first down.

*Maybe* keep an egregious PI penalty for when defensive players get completely owned and just plow into a dude in the endzone.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Get rid of OPI as a penalty

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

That said, yeah, PI should be a 15 yard penalty, and defensive holding shouldn't be an automatic first down.

Defensive holding = 10 yards but no automatic first down is an idea I've seen that I could get behind. Do the same for illegal contact.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

Defensive holding = 10 yards but no automatic first down is an idea I've seen that I could get behind. Do the same for illegal contact.

Eliminate illegal contact entirely, keep defensive holding as a 5 yard penalty that only results in a first down if the 5 yards are enough for a first down.

Made offensive holding also 5 yards

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Make all penalties not cost any yards but count toward a culminative threshold that amounts to a safety. Let's ignite refball into a new stratosphere

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
S
K
Y
J
U
D
G
E

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
No penalties. No rules. Only survival on the field.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

The automatic first down on defensive holding is a loving killer. Get rid of it and make it a spot foul with a max of 10 yards.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kalli posted:

The problem with chipping the ball is unless you also chip every part of the player's body that contacts the turf, then you still don't know where to spot the ball.

Chip the ball and sync the data stream with the same canonical time source as the replay cameras so you can match up the ball position with video where it might be obscured.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I don’t know the exact definition of holding (and tbf I’m not sure the NFL does either) but beside the 3rd where the Dolphin defender very clearly has an O-lineman draped around his neck I don’t see how these are as egregious as the tweet wants to portray them. Make it a gif or something that actually shows the action instead of a grainy screenshot of flailing limbs at least.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Nodoze posted:

Get rid of OPI as a penalty

Terrible idea.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

You should be allowed to hold for 1 second.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Pass rushers should have to count to three before they start rushing, or at least yell "BLITZ" if they do so sooner.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Offensive and defensive linemen have their hands tied behind their backs and attack each other like chickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

fsif posted:

Pass rushers should have to count to three before they start rushing, or at least yell "BLITZ" if they do so sooner.

What counting system? (number)-apple, or (number)-Mississippi?