Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I think this was a fascinating story, and not least because faith plays such a big role in it. I have a hard time imagining a similar scenario in any major European sports league, even in the more religious countries. Crossing yourself after scoring is plenty, thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s hilarious that that burner is still going despite everyone calling it out. That’s gotta be a record.

That’s because it’s not real.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Apart from the shady electoral tactics, is there any concrete evidence of Buzbee being shady or dishonest as a lawyer? Has he been found guilty of any malpractice (not a lawyer or American, so pls don’t get hung up on terminology)? I tried looking the guy up and he certainly seems very bombastic and Texan, but didn’t really find much to suggest that he would be a crook.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Still genuinely interested in hearing why this guy is a bad lawyer specifically. Rich, douchey, publicity-hungry for sure, but are there examples of him either outright fabricating cases or filing obviously frivolous suits?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

How many of you actually read that SI story?

The opening paragraph:

”Any general manager who trades for Deshaun Watson now would be reckless and foolish, grossly uncaring about his team’s fans, and completely oblivious to the reasonable expectations of modern society. Watson is facing at least 10 lawsuits regarding his conduct with massage therapists, with allegations ranging from inappropriate conduct to sexual assault. This does not guarantee he did these things. It does not mean his career is over. But it should absolutely put every other conversation about Watson on pause.”

& later:

”Anybody discussing this must float somewhere between the “innocent” and “guilty” in “innocent until proven guilty.” You can understand why the Texans and NFL are in the fact-gathering, let’s see-what-happens phase. But trading for Watson at what his perceived market value was two weeks ago would be a public statement that Watson is innocent and will remain innocent, and that the voices of these women do not even deserve to be heard.”

I have to say I found the whole thing a fairly reasonable take, but you can judge for yourself:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/22/no-team-should-consider-deshaun-watson-trade-right-now

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Rusty ”Trombone” Hardon.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

I once got a vigorous sports massage from a tiny-but-strong Estonian lady while badly hung over and operating on maybe 5 hours of sleep. Made it through, but had to give up on my hotel breakfast afterwards when waves of nausea appeared (although the hangover may have played a bigger part).

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

dirty shrimp money posted:

I hope Buzbee and Hardin would at least be discrete about the names and not leak them...but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Those women are about to have to go into hiding.

What possible benefit would there be for Buzbee to leak the names?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

This story (albeit from 2017) seems to suggest no official confirmation ever came: https://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/26/15341274/laremy-tunsil-2016-nfl-draft-hacked-bong-miami-dolphins

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

I personally think Watson is definitely a sex creep, but putting him on the exempt list when nothing’s even gone to court yet seems excessive and would definitely result in blowback.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

indigi posted:

blowback from who?

The people who have been defending him so far, I suppose.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Long one from Kalyn Kahler on Defector:

https://defector.com/what-licensed-massage-therapists-and-former-nfl-players-have-to-say-about-deshaun-watson/

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Hope this wasn’t here yet, very detailed story from SI:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/21/new-information-proper-context-for-deshaun-watson-sexual-misconduct-lawsuits-daily-cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Defector staying on the case:

https://defector.com/deshaun-watsons-legal-battles-arent-over/