Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'm glad my football team is run by competent people and not idiots who took the "hire anyone belichick likes" to its dumbest possible conclusion

boy that would be embarrassing if that happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

This is the human version of when you accidentally very slightly tilt your map app off North = top

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The problem is if someone like Easterby can do this then someone else can do it too so I look forward to 40 years of "the Texans were gonna do a correct thing but <worm who has McNair's ear> talked them into doing something else"

also obviously Mark Davis is the poster boy of this but how is it that the rich boy sons of owners manage to put off the aura of "being a literal child" despite being 50+. Like I know it's a very sheltered life but you'd think they could at least pose as adults sometimes

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 11, 2021

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I listened to thirty seconds of that and I don’t even want to be a fan anymore of course he wants out

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Trade him and get as many draft assets as possible and then

Intruder posted:

Watson alone is going to be a $20m+ cap hit if they trade him and they're already $20m over the cap so they'll have to cut David Johnson, Cooks, Watt and maybe more just to get under the cap after trading Watson

actually do this and or trade them. bottom right the gently caress out. it will at least amuse me

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
yeah like the holiday celebrating Jesus rising from the grave is literally in his name, its absurdly on the nose and frankly I wish the writers would use a modicum of creativity if my team is gonna be the season's joke storyline

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I want it to be caserios because i want this franchise to burn to the ground metaphorically so im gonna believe it until conclusively proven otherwise

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
lol at getting rid of the loving equipment manager and his whole crew because they might be Watsonite fifth columnists

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
at this point Im going to be deeply furious if they DON'T trade JJ somewhere he has a shot at a ring

There's some sense in keeping a young franchise QB around and trying to get him to play for you but Watt has played his rear end off for us for years and is at the end of his career let the man go

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
This is karma for all the times I said to myself, in my head, "well at least I'm not a fan of <insert any of a few teams across several sports here but think Lions or Mets for some good examples>"

now that's us

yay

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Q_res posted:

I don't see how the league hasn't poo poo a brick over that given they're at least trying to look like they care about minority hires.

The Texans also very cleverly hired a minority head coach so the league can't say poo poo. Note that this should not excuse the Texans and doesn't in my mind but that's why the league won't make a public stink about the GM part.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
its more analogous to the Cavs right now who informally had a draft rule named after their idiot-rear end owner

That only really covers the trading and drafting end of it, though; the religious cult takeover aspect is unique as far as I know. Maybe a lower league soccer team somewhere has had something similar happen

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
If the pamphlet wanted to really be accurate there shouldn't have been anyone in the picture of the stands either

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The conspiracy theory though doesn’t make sense if you think about it because either you devalue the trade asset or you burn your bridges so bad that you might outright lose your team. What’s the upside?

"well no one's trading that many firsts for a sex pest so you can either play for us or never play again, up to you"

I do not believe this of course but if you were inclined to believe that sort of thing that's the theoretical play

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

But then you trade him first and then leak the info so your new draft picks get even better.

Yeah I've spent all day wondering if I can express how agog I am that the Texans managed to turn "hold on to your disgruntled star too long and tank his trade value," already a bad story, into a horror show, without seeming like I'm making light of sexual assault

The second we were 24-0 against the Chiefs will probably represent the high point of this franchise until the 2030s

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Sataere posted:

This logic is flawed because they could do the bare minimum and just report the facts as we know them. How hard is it to say that 22 different woman are alleging sexual misconduct by one of the biggest quarterbacks in football? That is a simple statement of fact. They don't have to have opinions on the matter. Just address how serious this is and what future impact it'll have. Say something about not wanting to rush to judgment if you are afraid of consequences. But you can still address what is happening. In fact, it's their loving job.

I don't get where this idea that people are avoiding this is coming from. I went to ESPN, where a link about the case is in the top page sidebar, yahoo sports where it's not on the front page but is the very first thing when you click on their NFL page, and the Athletic where a story about it is one of the first 3 things you see. Its possible I'm seeing all this because I have the Texans selected as a team to follow but at least as far as ESPN I doubt that.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I don't agree with that at all; the first sentence of the article says the lawsuits are about sexual assault and anyone who's been paying remote attention to this knew that already anyway. I don't believe there's anyone in the world who sees that and goes ah this doesn't matter but would suddenly decide it does if ESPN's top article was "Deshaun Watson loves assaulting masseuses: lawsuits" or something. Most people have already made up their minds and the idea that ESPN is trying to save Deshaun Watson or doesn't believe the accusations is an absurd thing to draw from that headline.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

So his first line of defense includes an admission that yes he did engage with all these women who are accusing him

Yeah this is almost always the mark of a liar who knows they're caught and is desperately trying to get out of it, in my experience

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Sataere posted:

I suspect you being in Houston is skewing it so you are seeing more coverage, but most of the articles I've seen were essentially Friday afternoon news dumps. I've asked a bunch of friends who are casual football fans for their thoughts and they had no idea this was happening, even though they generally keep up with sports. It took them multiple days to even talk about it when it first broke. This story feels like it's being buried and the media is grudgingly covering it. That'll change the longer this goes on because it'll be too hard to ignore, but that doesn't change how irresponsible the media is in handling this.

Basically this

I would be curious what y'all want to see in contrast, then, I guess, because a) I don't see how having a story laying out all currently know facts easily accessible is burying something and b) I don't believe for a second ESPN editorial has formed the opinion that all these women are lying and is acting on that and c) even if a and b are true if there's anything here that's real ESPN will simply not be able to bury it so why would they try now? What would represent responsible coverage of this?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have no idea if this would ever be accessible by law enforcement but I would bet that there is metadata from everyone’s phones that would prove that he and those women were together during the times alleged.

So Watson has no choice but to admit “yeah I saw all these different women BUT”

Yeah this seems like one of those things where we will know definitively because there are so many electronic trails

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
In the sense that the media didn't report on it at the time yeah

It's in Jeff Pearlman's book Boys Will Be Boys (I think it might even be the opening story) along with other things that would not fly now like Charles Haley pulling his dick out all the time

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah so after "yeah I contacted them on instagram but" comes "it was consensual" next will be something like "I am sorry they/I misinterpreted some things" and probably as mentioned sex addiction

The sad part is having seen this enough that it now qualifies as predictable

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I generally would argue that civil suits shouldn't prevent someone doing their job as opposed to actual criminal charges but in this case it would be absurdly stupid for both the Texans and the NFL to let him take the field

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
If you can push through it a time or two it really does help. I've never felt so flexible or relaxed as after a really deep massage.

The puking thing is for real though; I didn't puke but I felt nauseous for a half hour or so after the first one I did.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah he very clearly needs the extra boost of "I convinced/forced a woman who doesn't normally engage in this behavior to do it"

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Depending on how quiet people who knew about it were it might not be journalistic malpractice; word of it might just never have reached a reporter's ears until suits were filed

As far as we know right now based on the lawsuits, the people who knew about it were 1) Watson 2) the masseuses and anyone they talked to 3) that one other NFL player mentioned in the most recent one, who is technically part of 2 but would have more pull with sports reporters, presumably.

1 is definitely not going to talk, obviously. 3 appears to have chosen not to. As far as the rest of the people in 2 probably knew, for the most part, they were the only ones to whom it had happened and Watson had threatened them with ruin. I could see how this might have been kept hushed for this long until a few of them broke the dam.

It does seem like with this many people that's unlikely, though. Even Weinstein was known in Hollywood to be a guy you don't wanna be in a room alone with.

e: and good luck getting any journalists to fess up to wrongdoing right now

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

pasaluki posted:

It's not malpractice it is just incompetence. They have to care enough for it to be malpractice. They were so busy writing the hagiography of Watson because he supported all their favorite causes, that they couldn't bother to actually get to know the guy.

Because of the specific method he used I just don't see how you can expect journalists to know if someone didn't tip them off

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

pasaluki posted:

Ok Devil's Advocate but why wouldn't journalists worth a poo poo have sources/people to tip them off?

With 20+ women was Watson's apparatus that well set up that nothing leaked when this was happening pretty regularly?

Like people whose whole job is to be a Texans 'insider' and they are sitting there with the same wtf expression as everyone else. Its surprising how many words they wrote about him and how little they really knew.

Who are the sources they would have that would have even known about this besides Watson, who obviously won't say poo poo, and that one NFL player one of the masseuses happened to know, who clearly also chose not to say poo poo? What other person connected to this, which is basically the masseuses, their families/friends, and in a few cases people who work at whatever agency or spa the masseuses were employed at, would have been normally connected with a sports journalist enough to do that?

It's becoming clear that Watson specifically targeted who he targeted in part because it gave him a lot of cover an severely limited potential knowledge of it.

indigi posted:

I thought the exempt list could only be used if there were criminal charges

It's a list that the commissioner basically has sole discretion over who to put on and for how long. They used it once when a guy was trying out for the Olympics, for example. Criminal charges are the most common recent use as far as I can tell, though.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Ehud posted:

I was just watching this clip. Everything felt semi normal until this part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTZrHZmjQiA&t=180s

I was going to point out how "get everyone in a room and work it out" and "i'm not saying buy it off and make it go away" one right after the other was some real dumbassery but then I kept listening and became truly disgusted

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If they had traded him and then all this came out surely the league would have to intervene to undo it.

If they could prove definitively that the Texans knew when they traded him, maybe, but otherwise not a chance. The NFL as an organization does not want to get into that kind of thing and the other owners not involved in the trade would never sign off on a regime where the NFL could void trades other than like salary cap violations.

It's obviously moot now so everyone can enjoy the Texans completely cratering with no QB OR draft picks and being the first team to lose 17 games two seasons in a row

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah the NBA owned one of the teams involved at the time which is the only reason they were able to do that

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Still hilarious.

As a Rockets fan I very nearly quit caring about the NBA entirely but it ended up working out ok for us

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Right now it's Spencer Rattler and no one else. I would be comfortable taking a prime DE or something, a flyer on a later round QB, and tanking for 2023 too if that's where Caserio wants to go (if Caserio is still there)

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

fast cars loose anus posted:

Yeah so after "yeah I contacted them on instagram but" comes "it was consensual" next will be something like "I am sorry they/I misinterpreted some things" and probably as mentioned sex addiction

this is my shocked face

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'm not an athlete and I was annoyed when my preferred massage therapist at my gym moved to another city (not at her, just at having to find a new one who was on the same page as me). If it were part of my livelihood yeah I can't imagine swapping around every time.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well ESPN.com has chosen today to make Watson’s accusations the major headline.

You're really underselling the terrible job they did here

quote:

The dual narratives around Deshaun Watson's massages
An ESPN examination of lawsuits filed against Watson and interviews with six others who were hired to massage him reveal a complex portrait of a man on a seemingly insatiable hunt for massage therapy.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Screenshot just in case they realize what they've done later

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

The NFL can't just let him play after basically settling all these cases which is admitting horrible wrongdoing.

lol yes they can

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Good news Deshaun now lots of people agree with you! I promise one way or the other you'll get your wish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
One thing lawyers for super rich people are generally known for is taking the initiative and doing things before telling their bosses so it checks out