Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Another angle to this story I appreciate is that “Jack Easterby” is exactly what this guy’s name would be if he were a character on a TV sports drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I seriously want all the players on the Texans to file their retirement papers tomorrow.

I need this to be part of the TV dramatization of this saga.

Caserio and Easterby are in an office late at night. Easterby is marking up the playbook replacing all the terminology with bible verse numbers. Caserio looks down at his phone and his dead eyes grow wide. “Uh, Jack? Retirement papers just came through.” “What? For who?” “............ everyone.”

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Rooster Brooster posted:

I keep thinking about how BoB lucked into a power vacuum and he just took advantage of it in that small-time hood kinda way of trying to do whatever he could for himself in the short term, then this genuine gangster shows up and starts grifting on a whole other level and puts BoB on his rear end, then starts slowly taking out his enemies one by one trying to become Taxans Emperor For Life. It's truly amazing.

I'm loving this metaphor lmao

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Intruder posted:

An article about Cal's failson status

https://www.battleredblog.com/real-...n-elite-failson

His entire career until his dad died was working for his dad

I feel like this tweet from the article deserves to be pulled out to stand on its own :catstare:

https://twitter.com/jackeasterby/status/1344872774335127552?s=21

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's caserio's burner.

We all desperately want it to be, but it does feel a little TOO perfect. Then again absolutely nothing is too ridiculous for this Houston drama. If it ends up really being Caserio and he's still going at it despite people being onto him for weeks, it would barely crack the top 10 antics of the Easterby era.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There’s no indication that if he successfully got himself traded that he’d stop this behavior in his new city. He’d have just kept doing this poo poo until it caught up with him.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fartknocker posted:

I’ve been watching NFL Network for so long that Andrew Siciliano’s ears barely register anymore.

I guess I haven’t reached saturation. No matter how many times I see him, whenever he appears on TV I do a quick, involuntary :stare: irl.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Was it ever actually confirmed who leaked the gasmask video? I remember a bunch of theories but never a resolution.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

The commissioner's exempt list is entirely within Goodell's discretion wtihout any recourse. A player on the exempt list cannot play in games or participate in practice and they do not count against the 53 man roster. They can still go to team facilities and participate in meetings.

Given this, if Watson were placed on the exempt list, would there be any practical impact to him at this stage of the offseason? Until Houston starts mini camp it doesn't seem like it would actually change anything. I think the NFL is just circling the wagons / putting their head in the sand / doing other metaphors until they're forced to confront the issue directly.

From Goodell's "what choice results in the most money for the owners" angle, there's no upside to putting Watson on the list yet.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

I dunno, if Watson maintains the discipline to stay in shape I don't see how sitting a year is that bad. At least there's less wear & year in his body.

On the other hand, when Le’veon Bell sat out a year he transformed from perennial pro bowler to barely usable. Maybe it was going to happen anyway since RBs just crater hard from the abuse of the position. But it did make me wonder about what a year away from the game does to someone.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Man remember the good old days when we could just lol at Easterby instead of what the Texans have become?

Whoever started calling him "Youth Pastor Rasputin" is a loving genius because that is the perfect summary. He got into the Pats org a while back as a "chaplain/counselor" and for what it's worth you can pull up a bunch of player quotes about how he helped them through hard times. I think he was specifically brought in in the wake of the Aaron Hernandez debacle. Which, fine, whatever. But then he followed BoB over to the Texans and went full Wormtongue from Lord of the Rings. He's by all accounts become the owner's right hand man with sweeping influence over the team and no oversight of his own decisions, which is just :psyduck: because he has no actual football experience or knowledge whatsoever.

As far as his role in the Watson poo poo, I don't think there's any direct naming of him. But given his position and how he worms his way toward anyone with power and influence there's just no way he was uninvolved and unaware.

Also if you search YouTube for his speeches and sermons it's the most cringe poo poo ever. I think it's been linked in this thread but he's like badly imitating his take on the mannerisms of black players and talking about how to trick people into thinking he's their friend with all the sophistication of a 17 year old /r/redpill poster. All of this taken together adds up to uh not exactly a good look for Texans' ownership. But they seem content to ride or die with him.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Prepare yourselves for maybe one oblique mention of “facing some questions during the off-season” on his first national broadcast back and then never hearing about it again. Goondolonces to whoever ends up with this shitheel on their team.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I wanted the Chiefs to pick him in 2017. Dodged a bullet, there...

This also makes me wonder what–if anything–teams' own investigators turned up about him prior to that draft. This kind of thing could not have started after he went pro; guys like this always have an earlier history. There has to have been something out there.

Based on how little the league seems to care, even now in the face of all this awful poo poo, I am guessing sexual misconduct is not an area they do a lot of background checking on pre draft. Or if they do, it’s not considered a big deal because hey it’s just a woman and she’s probably lying anyway

Remember when Matt Patricia was revealed to have gang raped someone and the Lions were apparently totally blindsided by it? My takeaway is that nobody is digging into this stuff at all from the league and team side. Because they don’t give a crap.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I don't know if dumb is the right word but I think it's totally likely he doesn't believe he did anything wrong.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

In a statement, Watson said “release the Rub Tape, cowards.”

Obviously this does nothing to change the fact that he should be suspended forever and/or serve jail time, but it would also be hilarious if the league’s refusal to deal with this in a responsible way brought down Kraft or Jerruh or something as a side effect.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NFL broadcast producers furiously deleting various drafts, leaving only the "he dealt with some challenges over the offseason, but has fully put that behind him and is laser focused on leading his team to the super bowl" version :barf:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Le’Veon sat out one year and went from perennial all-pro to washed and quickly out of the league. But there’s really no comparison between the hell an RBs body goes through and a QB (other than Cam) so probably can’t conclude anything from that. It would be extremely funny though if he just sucks rear end now.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I feel like they would have been fools not to expect something like this and were maybe counting on Baker to hang out for a while before he rebelled, but at the same time they're the Browns so I don't know.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Them counting on baker after thoroughly throwing him under the bus would be a hilarious loving thing.

yeah. Baker is "rebelling" because the Browns tied him up, threw him under a bus, and have been repeatedly driving it back and forth over him. Like the official Browns website has been publishing hit pieces on him for months. There was no plan B involving Baker once they decided to go all in on Watson. For whatever reason they decided to utterly torch that bridge, and it would be high comedy if they get owned for it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Snyder has dirt on too many people that’s the only logical explanation for why he’s weathering the mortal sin of stealing everyone else’s money.

It’s also possible they are all stealing from each other and Snyder was just dumb enough to get busted. So he had to go answer some meaningless questions before Congress which is the billionaire version of getting Iced.

This is my new take on how he is possibly still in possession of a team.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Intruder posted:

As much as I dislike Deshaun now, man.... I'm really sad at the person he turned out to be. I really did think he was a good dude

It really sucks when someone you look up to / put hopes on / etc turns out to be trash. As a Boston kid I worshipped Curt Schilling for his part in bringing the Red Sox their first World Series in blah blah blah nobody cares. It was extremely upsetting when he went on to reveal himself as a huge chud and used that fame and success to scam local businesses out of millions of dollars and tons of jobs.

It’s a little different than Watson in that his awfulness came out after his playing career but I totally relate to what to what you’re feeling :(

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 27, 2022

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Whoa whoa whoa, science? Sounds like you need to spend some quality time at Easterby Reeducation Camp for Wayward Youth, my brother in Christ.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

They seem to have Ridley dead to rights for gambling whereas Watson's poo poo is all still up in the air legally. Ridley demonstrably violated league rules that they have full control as judge/jury/executioner over, whereas Watson may or may not (:rolleyes:) have done anything to, uh, 24 women and counting. Also Ridley isn't the face of a franchise the way a star QB is (even if he is arguably the best player on the Falcons at the moment besides Pitts lol), and there's a ton more money and PR on the line with Watson, though they won't say that part out loud.

It's ridiculous of course and makes the league look like utter clowns but their reasoning probably goes along those lines

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

We paid a bazillion dollars to these women out of the blue not because we did anything wrong, but because we just hate sexual assault that much. Wait, what’s that? We have never done anything for women before and will never again after this either? Weird. We did mention noted woman Hannah McNair in our press release, right? Why aren’t you taking us seriously?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The most stone cold amazing outcome would be to let him take all the first team reps for the next month and then ban him for a year on the eve of the regular season.

So yeah they aren’t going to do anything

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I uh would not count on Goodell to make things better. Here or just in general. He’s probably thrilled it isn’t more.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Look I REALLY hope I am wrong and Goodell bans the fucker for a year life. I just don't see any precedent for him doing more than the bare minimum when it comes to violence against women and sex crimes. I know it's been said a million times already but they had the Ray Rice tape and did absolutely nothing until it leaked. He won't hesitate to drop the hammer when it's ~integrity of the game~ at stake like Ridley (lol) or Deflategate or PEDs. But with almost all the civil cases settled and no criminal charges, I have a hard time seeing him steamrolling the judge. My cynicism about the NFL's leadership is bottomless.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The NFL is tired of the ambiguity and want to make it ABUNDANTLY clear they don't give a gently caress about women

Basically. I figure he sees Watson playing at a pro bowl level and the Browns making a playoff run as a bigger win for the league than putting this human shitstain in his place. But again, nothing would make me happier than to be wrong.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

Wasn't today the last day for the NFL to appeal the judge's decision?

They did. Some former attorney general from New Jersey is hearing it as Roger’s designee.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I agree with all of that but "our criminal justice system is a complete joke" (which I also agree with) is orthogonal to what the NFL does. The league doesn't control the cowardly prosecutors who seem to have instructed the grand jury not to indict, so, rooting for him to get banned as long as possible is kinda all we got. And hopefully fined an incredible amount to offset the protection of the lovely contract the Browns gave him.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

After all this publicity I'm shocked Watson intends to keep using massage therapists

He believes he did absolutely nothing wrong and is presumably living in a bubble of yes men who reinforce that sentiment every day. He's probably going to die steadfast in his belief that any consequences he eventually faces were because he got railroaded by the Woke Mob and 30 lying golddiggers. Basically small scale Trump.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I remember reading that being on the exempt list would have counted as time served toward whatever the final suspension ends up being. Although I am not sure if that was from a good source or Twitter lawyering.

Would at least make sense, though. Imagine if the league came down with “Watson’s egregious behavior warrants a year suspension. Conveniently, he has been sitting on his rear end for a year of his own volition already, so see you in week 1” lol.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

corn on the cop posted:

lol you loving dipshit cowards

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

having some shirts made,

He’s coaching in XFL 3.0, op

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The thing where it’s the maximum number they could do without loving over the Browns in 2023 makes the most sense of any wild speculation, imo. Tried to thread the needle and instead just made all sides maximum mad

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Racing Stripe posted:

I expect this is all secondary though to trying to get a guy who doesn’t guarantee you’ll lose.

Yeah this was my thought. There's so few backups worth a poo poo (this is why they are backups) that just getting one who isn't a complete embarrassment and liability is a big win. If he happens to have the same strengths of your starter, just worse, that's a bonus. A tie breaker between two bad choices. A good coach probably adjusts the playbook to the backup rather than hoping to hit the lottery and get a solid backup who is also a good stylistic fit. But there's also only so many good coaches to go around. See: Bears running the same offense for Dalton and Fields.

The Nick Foles Super Bowl run was 1 in a million. Most of the time if your backup plays more than a game or two, you're boned. "Fellas, if 18 goes down we're hosed, and we don't practice hosed."

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm sure it will be fine. I can't think of any very recent examples where the NFL employed independent third parties to review player treatment and it worked out EXTREMELY POORLY :thunk:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

This is not the GBS Cursed Images thread why am I seeing these nightmares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Intruder posted:

It's so easy to forget this thread was originally about Easterby

I miss when the Texans were just funny instead of enabling and covering up serial sexual assault