Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Drew Lock is a good Christian boy

Drew likes to dance, that could be a problem depending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Achernar posted:

I don't know, what's Jim Tomsula up to lately?

He just got fired a few hours down the road in Dallas (he was the DL coach), so he's there for the taking.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Intruder I know you've worked hard on this, but call things off. This is bad and you know it!

https://twitter.com/deshaunwatson/status/1351209917080854537

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

dirty shrimp money posted:

I mean there's been exactly one time where he hasn't just dropped a prepared statement and ran, and that was that shitshow of a press conference when Caserio was introduced

Unless he says or does something dumb enough for the NFL to take the team away (ain't happening)...Well my gut feeling is it's better for everyone in the world the less we hear him say and the more prepared his statements are.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm curious about how your brain gets so messed up you refuse to refer to your quarterback by pronouns.

It's always 'the player' this and the player that. You can refer to Deshaun as 'he' once you've established who you're talking about, he's probably fine with that and will let you know if he isn't. Or Mr. Watson if you want to be formal or something.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
What exactly is there to blackball Sage from, Iowa State broadcasts? He's not connected to the league at all is he?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

BOB kicked a FG on 4th and 1 deep in KC territory then tried a fake punt from 4th and like 7 from deep within his own territory on the next possession

4th and 4 I want to say? And it took a pretty good play by a not very good player to stop it since he was the only guy who recognized it.

The fake punt was a good idea that didn't work out, the field goal was not. Combining the two is where it makes no sense.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Who was that player about a decade back on the Eagles who literally only ran in a straight line at the passer and racked up crazy amounts of sacks but was otherwise worthless on defense? It was back before Reid left the Eagles, when he was promoting nobodies to DC.

I always think of that guy whenever I see "sources" grouse about players who play for their stats.

This was in the middle of the wide 9 boom I remember. Connor Barwin maybe? Jesus I haven't thought of that name in forever.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

It was Jason Babin, who had 18 sacks in 2011 with the Eagles.

Yes!

He had 12.5 sacks the previous season with the Titans with Jim Washburn. He went to the Eagles, Washburn came along, and it was a controversial coaching hire as I recall.

Ha, another name I haven't heard in a long time.

Both semi-topical for this thread because they were high Houston draft picks who went on to have what success they did for a different organization.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

HappyHippo posted:

Didn't the browns draft johhny football because a homeless guy recommended him to the owner? That seems about on par with this level of dysfunction

It has always seemed much more likely Jimmy Haslam made that story up because he thought it would play well in the press instead of making him look like an idiot. I'm not sure if that's in opposition or favor of your overall point though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Saying nothing about the actual merits of anything it seems like a good strategic move that Deshaun claimed he was asked for a six figure buyout from Buzbee before any of this broke? Like your average person's immediate reaction to the court minimum thing is probably 'well that's some backtracking to try to regain the moral high ground.'

Which is either Deshaun telling the truth (quite possible because Buzbee) or he/his advisors being goddamned monsters who saw where things were going and could identify that he should make that move (also quite possible).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

They literally just tore down their stadium, like two weeks ago.

But playing in a parking lot seems about right for the Texans at the moment.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hizawk posted:

Is this the single greatest one season meltdown by a team in NFL History?

It's really impressive. There have been worse teams than the Texans will be next year I'd imagine, but not worse teams that were up 24-0 on the eventual Super Bowl champs in the playoffs 2 years ago and seemingly had at least a path to an optimistic future.

Suddenly worried that I was wrong I looked up the Houston Oilers and they went 2-14 two years after the Bills comeback. But they were mostly fine as in middling as hell after that one year, which doesn't seemlike it'll be the Texans fate right now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I don't expect Rodger to do anything till after the draft

Unless the press picks up on it hard this is my read, they can slime their way out of having any opinion at least until the draft and probably OTAs if criminal charges aren't filed.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Didn't he say last week that it was a 6-figure settlement?

Perhaps alleging a different blackmail attempt that may or may not have happened.

As I vaguely recall Hardin is just as much of a publicity hound as Buzbee is, right?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Wait - just to clarify - you want the defense to guess who the accusers are?

I know nothing about civil law, are the plaintiffs obligated to share anything at all before showing up in court?

Or rather is it common practice to do so before you're forced to? It'll all come out eventually, I just don't know if they usually share at least some things early to speed the process along.

Anyway Magary wrote a thing if anyone's interested.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I knew about discovery, I just didn't know if that happened immediately or if it was common to wait for a judge to tell you to do it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

all pro sports are professional entertainment

Someone should let golf know.

Hmmm, this could be a bad Jared Goff joke but I don't quite know how to get there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Anyway the Washington Post is now opining on this too, which doesn't matter in any real way but does seem kinda like the point where the dam of media trying to ignore this has officially broken?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
You are one of them, you owe me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yikes. Some of the Texans staff had to know what he was doing. Maybe even some of his teammates too, this is too large of a scale to go completely unnoticed he is a serial assaulter with a pattern over who knows how many years.

I wonder if it goes back to Clemson as well.

He deleted a tweet from when he was in high school about how good a massage was didn't he? Which could just mean he got a good massage, but...yeah that benefit of the doubt thing is gone.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Something I’ve never quite understood is why the NBA was against a trade that would have benefited their biggest team and biggest star which would have kept the Lakers a championship contender. Because they wanted the loving Clippers to be better?

Because they didn't want the Hornets (at the time) to fold and thought they needed a star player I think? Obviously they let them make a trade later, but that was after a whole lot of 'um, what the hell are you doing?' in the press.

I might be remembering this incorrectly.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Elephanthead posted:

When does the exempt list start up?

Anytime the league wants it to I'm pretty sure?

Realistically around minicamps or OTAs or something, whenever Deshaun might be expected to report for team activities. Barring an earlier arrest or this somehow getting worse which doesn't seem possible but always is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Was gonna say it's generally good to remember that people who write articles don't get to write headlines, but yeah reading it they both sides the hell out of that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

King Hong Kong posted:

That line is also a direct quotation of the article itself.

Yeah I was initially thinking I'd give it the benefit of the doubt, but...welp.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

I think Watson reports. At this point no other team wants to touch him, it's not like before the story broke where he could go almost anywhere

I had almost managed to forget what a mess all of this is aside from the Deshaun stuff. I was thinking why would he not show up unless they tell him not to before I realized he had real reasons to stay away.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
...just...suspend him? Cut him? If you have any deals on the table at all take what you can get in a trade?

This doesn't do anything for either of you.

It is funny to think of Watson playing with the scrubs at the rear end end of a preseason game I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's interesting how abruptly he dropped his persona once all this came out.

I don't think he's done this quite yet, at least in his mind. His lawyer is doing all of that and he's not involved. That could be considered as a playful interaction with a bad word attached watching the video. It's a super dumb thing to do of course if he thought it was a good idea.

I mean, he can go to hell I just don't think this will do anything but push people to whatever conclusions they've already drawn.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know he has to be there to avoid being fined but can’t they keep him on some conditioning bike inside?

They really should make up a nagging injury for him, which seems like a tool Nick Caserio should be familiar with. Or maybe they tried and DeShaun was like 'no I'd rather go play safety on the scout team.'

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Elephanthead posted:

Why would anyone cooperate with an nfl investigation Jesus.

In the naive hope that the NFL would be seeking to do the right thing I'd imagine. It's not like everyone follows exactly how bad they mess everything up like we do.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I could imagine a scenario where the FBI is checking out Buzbee because he's trash.

I cannot imagine a situation where you convince this many people to falsely accuse a famous person of sexual assault knowing exactly what that's going to mean for your life.

But mainly I imagine Hardin's talking out of his rear end.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

Am I missing something or is ESPN just being irresponsible as hell?

Yeah this is just a Hardin press release. It also says this happened in April but he just found out about it yesterday with no explanation, so...yeah. Not the best article.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fast cars loose anus posted:

It says they're investigating possible extortion in one of the 23 original lawsuits, presumably the same one that got withdrawn and left him with 22, so even Hardin isn't claiming that

He's not directly claiming it, but you'll pardon me for thinking he's doing some insinuating here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Android Apocalypse posted:

I really do think it's the Texans asking Goodell to not put Watson on the exempt list, so that they can showcase him at practices to other teams in hopes of a trade.

I admittedly haven't been following the Texans camp at all but I do remember that report about him playing safety on the scout team.

My impression was they were just embarrassing him in order to embarrass him mostly, but maybe not.

I'm sure they don't want him on the exempt list or they'd just suspend him on their own, but I'm also not sure they're really doing their best to up his trade value if that makes sense.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1429276582942740480

Everything is :cool:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For these kinds of allegations, and for the amount of them, is this long a timeline abnormal? Obviously I’m not talking some final criminal trial being settled soon but to not even be close to a grand jury making a decision on if charges are warranted?

I have no clue. But if they're tying all the cases together there are a whole lot of people to interview here is what I assume is the problem?

Or at least the excuse.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Just gonna roll with one QB or are they signing someone/activating someone from the practice squad?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fast cars loose anus posted:

Culley says we're most likely to just call up Driskel to backup for Thursday now that Tyrod's been put on IR

Imagining a loud beeping sound when he drops back to pass.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sataere posted:

Isn't Spencer Rattler supposed to be a thing?

All the tools, none of the ability to read defenses if you get within two yards of him is my read on him. But yeah going into the season he was the odds on favorite for first QB off the board I think?

That doesn't always change but often does over the year, so we'll have a better idea later on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
McClain is generally pretty solid as I remember? Like, actual sources and not prone to rumor mongering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shinjobi posted:

Didn't zeke get suspended without any charges, for an incident in the past? It was 100% the police refusing to do anything to him back then, too.

Maybe I've got the details wrong here.

I had forgotten how ridiculously drawn out this was.

quote:

On August 11, 2017, the NFL suspended Elliott for the first six games of the 2017 season for violating the personal conduct policy. His suspension stemmed from accusations of domestic violence against his ex-girlfriend on five occasions in 2016. NFL officials conducted a year-long investigation into the allegations, and though Elliott was never criminally charged, decided to suspend him...Although the suspension was upheld on September 6 by a league-appointed arbitrator, on September 8, a federal judge granted a request for injunction by the NFL Players Association (NFLPA), putting the suspension on hold indefinitely.

On October 12, the Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals announced that Elliot's suspension had been reinstated, meaning that he would have to serve the six-game suspension up from that point.[74][75] On October 18, Elliott was granted a temporary restraining order, meaning that he would not have to serve his suspension from that point, allowing him to play in Week 7.

On October 30, Judge Katherine Polk Failla of the New York Southern District Court, denied Elliott's request for a preliminary injunction, which reinstated the 6-game suspension.

On November 3, Elliott was once again granted a stay by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, which delayed the suspension.

On November 9, the suspension was once again reinstated by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Three days afterward, Elliott decided to accept the suspension and leave the country to train for a little while.[82] On November 15, Elliott officially announced that he withdrew from another appeal attempt.

Then he went to hang out in Mexico for a while, I think he might have been injured at the time and that's why he stopped fighting and figured it was a good time to serve the suspension? There was also the St Patrick's day thing where he dragged a woman's shirt down that went into this whole ordeal but he claims she was cool with it.

I mean in the end there were no criminal charges so you're right about that part. The part with his ex is he barely bothered to deny and tried to justify on a 'she's crazy' thing if I remember right.