Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That's why Jesus Christ Superstar is so good. You get the fun story without any of that pesky belief needing to get in the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MH6efoYzJE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You know what they say, converts are always the most fanatical.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

A Texans fan not understanding how hope springs eternal is very funny to me.

Must be Calvinists

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

e: LMAO THE TEAM NAME IS THE PREPPERS

I LOVE THIS STORY.

Outed burner twitter is the best.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Docjowles posted:

I need this to be part of the TV dramatization of this saga.

Caserio and Easterby are in an office late at night. Easterby is marking up the playbook replacing all the terminology with bible verse numbers. Caserio looks down at his phone and his dead eyes grow wide. “Uh, Jack? Retirement papers just came through.” “What? For who?” “............ everyone.”

The funny part is, there's a salary floor, and if you're below it, the league just takes the money up to the floor and adds it as salary to the remaining players.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm trying to find more info about this because I'm otherwise convinced this must all be part of a Marlins-esque scheme to squeeze more money out of the franchise by reducing it to the bare minimum

It's buried in the CBA somewhere, but from the wikipedia:

quote:

Violating the salary floor regulations does not result in any fines or competitive penalties; instead, deficiencies are placed into a pool and distributed among all players who were on the regular roster of the offending team during a four-year floor cycle, prorated according to time on the roster in said period.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Magicpants posted:

so under the right circumstances, an owner could make more money without players than he could with a good team

There's basically two flows of revenue, national (tv contracts, merchandising and licensing) and local (tickets, stadium crap, corporate sponsors).

National revenue is about $300m per team per year.

Local revenue is a black box, but we know the Packers made about $210m last year.

So yeah, I think it'd be super loving easy to make money despite fielding an rear end team for years on end.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, though the numbers were way lower until like the 90's.

in 1990, TV revenue combined was about $900m a year ($28m per team minus whatever chunk the league itself keeps for running crap)

Now, ESPN pays $1.1b per year just for MNF, totals are increasing to around $10b a year in the current contracts ($312m per team)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The problem in the NFL is cash paid out has to be 90% of the salary cap over a 5 year period, so unless there's something crazy I don't know about, you might as well *try* to win, because you're not saving much off the biggest expense.

Maybe not try very hard, but like, hey draft a QB #1 and get whomever Mel Kiper says it the best weapon for him try.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sean10mm posted:

Imagine taking anyone coming from the Patriots organization seriously except Tom "I immediately got another title as soon as I got out" Brady lmao

Belichick has to have the worst coaching/executive tree in sports history, it goes back forever and it's almost all terrible except maybe...uh...Mike Vrabel, an ex player originally from another team?

A bunch of the front office people have been good, for example Jason Licht completely built that Buccaneers team.

Licht was the defacto GM from 2009-2011 for the Pats, and you might remember those as pretty good drafts

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shame he's not a papist so he won't have a life size portrait of Cardinal Richelieu in his office.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

General Dog posted:

The problem is by the time you get the 1 dollar out of your wallet, your remaining wealth has created 5 more. Billionaires are victims of circumstance when you think about it.

So you'd have to buy one of those cash money guns and have someone named The Accountant with you who's constantly reloading them for you to fire.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, you can look at franchise tag costs per position to see a real macro view of the top contracts. The biggest jump is lol pass rushing interior linemen, but uh, go ahead and name the ones in the NFL in 2010.

2010, 2015, 2020
$128m cap, $143m, $198m - total salary cap.

QB: $16.4 | $18.5 | $26.8 - Went from 12% to 13.5% of the cap
RB: $8.2 | $10.9 | $10.3 - 6.4% to 5.2%
WR: $9.6 | $12.8 | $17.9 - 7.5% to 9%
OL: $10.7 | $12.9 | $14.8
TE: $5.9 | $8.3 |$10.6

DE: $12.4 | $14.8 | $17.8
DT: $7.0 | $11.2 | $16.1
LB: $9.7 | $13.2 | $15.8
CB: $9.5 | $13.0 | $16.3
SF: $6.5 | $9.6 | $11.4

ST: $2.8 | $4.1 | $5

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

The big reason for this is that rookie contracts are really very long, so you could keep rolling the dice on rookies until you got some good ones, then sit on them for the remaining 3-4 seasons on their contracts, while cutting the ones who suck.

The fix for this seems obvious? at least to my eyes -- make rookie contracts shorter, so that teams can't just churn through rookies nonstop and will have to sign veterans for stability.

You'd also have to adjust the Restricted free agency rules, but I think I'd be okay with keeping them, just either maxing out the tender at a 3rd round pick, or upping the 1st / 2nd round tenders to requiring near franchise tag numbers.

But yeah, rookie contracts should be like 3 years long at most. Figure out if they're good, then pay them what they're worth.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

wyoak posted:

maybe have some sort of cap-exempt portion of a salary for veteran re-signings or something like that

This sort of exists already in a tiny way. Rookies make a minimum of $610k (this got upped by like 20% in the last CBA, which is kinda cool btw).

If a vet player is earning the minimum (a sliding scale that goes up to like $1.5m for players with 10+ years experience), the salary only counts for a 2nd year player's minimum against the cap as long as they also make under like $100k in bonuses. Problem is, those numbers are so negligible that whooooo cares when it comes to the cap.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What a clogged toilet of an organization.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the Browns were stunningly incompetent and jumped from position to position on a yearly basis that ruined any chance of players developing or playing well for the organization.

The Texans are different then that, they're installing a culture of failure. Letting a Robespierre consolidate power and entrench himself.

He's turning them into the Washington football team.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm just saying, if any organization knows how to solve Watson's problems by putting him in touch with the right masseuses, it's THE New England Patriots.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

On one hand dozens of sexual assault allegations.

On the other hand, wow I just like flying in tons of massage therapists to give me exactly 1 massage and then send them weird, easily misconstrued text messages, totally nothing odd about that!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, then it came out that the hotel security had mailed the tape of the entire encounter to the NFL, but they had mysteriously misplaced it. A little whoopsie.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GD_American posted:

I want a Bob Mueller, PI book series with him just being the most incompetent, self-important boob

Thinking about the book the douche from the Good Place wrote: Six Feet Under Par, a Chip Driver murder mystery.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chris Henry alone had like a dozen arrests and died from falling out of a truck while in a domestic dispute with his wife.

I miss him so much, that was like the WCW NWO era of the NFL.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

What's Bill Romanowsky up to these days?

Complaining about his many brain injuries, being racist, doing roids.

He did some interview years back where part of it was him driving around his neighborhood talking about how he'll randomly forget where he lives.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chucktesla posted:

Is having every rookie be third and fourth stringers a developmental strategy or are they that much worse than the first and second stringers

Mostly it's a job foisted on an intern with maybe specific instructions (re: Watson), but yeah, stick the rookies at the end and make 'em earn it, sure.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Perhaps Spencer is a Colts fan?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Return of the Fullest back

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Aaron Hernandez did NOTHING wrong

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

(she mis-typed, 2002 = 2021)

https://twitter.com/StephStradley/status/1464989293953302533

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't know if it'd be dumber to try and get the age 71 and 72 years of Bill or if you mean Steve.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Tyrod's been snakebitten, which is a bad thing to be when you're also just kinda fine at best.

I'd say that David Mills at least has the tiniest potential to develop into something but it's not like the Texans have been doing that anywhere else on their roster this year, so....

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The wild thing is the Texans have 1 receiver under 27 who's caught more then a dozen passes for them this year and no running backs that have touched the ball under 27.

You'd think they'd be rummaging through everyone's practice squads just hoping to find some average players in the rough even, but nope, David Johnson and like Chris Conley need those snaps!

You could still lose by 20 and start seeing if there's the next great Rex Burkhead on the Vikings practice squad or whatever

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Really feels like a missed opportunity to not use a QB for Passover pictures.

Particularly one of these:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m glad the NFL draws a hard line at 23

Roethlisberger must be so mad right now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1502399203007471616

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Gone. What was it

Mailbag begging for questions

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also I mean if you want Kraft gone, sure, I don't think you'd get that much pushback from fans.

Like the team would just go to his son who's been team president for forever.

I wish the old drunk gently caress would go.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Surely some enterprising Bengals or Steelers fan is prepared to setup a sting operation with masseuses wearing wires.

C'mon superfans. For a modest amount of hazard pay, you could easily burn the Browns organization to the ground.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Sorry man gotta make it obnoxious as possible. Has to be the Patriots

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That keeps getting brought up, but who's enforcing those rules? With the NFL how it is the odds of owners just.... not putting the money in escrow is probably pretty high.

Took how long for owners to realize Snyder just straight up wasn't paying them their share of ticket sales, you think they're checking on money that isn't their concern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I found multiple links to the video and reports on it, but they're all gone.

So yes, Jack Easterby definitely said that.