Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

This was an excellent read. It reads as if he is a dude who, as he gained more power, was ultimately corrupted by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Probably Magic posted:

A Texans fan not understanding how hope springs eternal is very funny to me.

Texans fans understand that hope is a lie

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

You ever notice that people from Texas walk like this, but people from Boston, they walk like this!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

^^^^ :argh: ^^^^

Holy gently caress, this account was created in January 2021. His first act as GM of the Texans was to create a burner account

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is low key the most interesting story in sports right now.

Nothing low key about it. It is a flashing neon sign in your face!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

PupsOfWar posted:

I'd buy that if watson had signed his big extension before the hopkins trade

But he signed it afterwards, and after o'brien's other famously bad moves

Gotta be something there beyond concern over the roster

If that Athletic article is to be believed, (and it rings true to me) Watson was pissed about the Hopkins trade, but they assured him they had a plan for winning. Then they threw a poo poo ton of money at him to appease him. Hell, his getting a no trade clause indicates that he was aware of the potential problems he might face in the future. That clause hurts Houston's leverage because they can't just dump him wherever and puts a lot of the power in his hand.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What? Billionaires do poo poo out of spite all the time.

Facts. There is a real chance that Houston plays this thing out to the end. I wouldn't be surprised if Watson has to sit out the year to make something happen. To avoid looking stupid, billionaires will 100% do something even stupider.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Sour Diesel posted:

regardless of CBA he just got paid his guaranteed money so when it comes down to it he can eat fines/lose entire seasons and still be set for life. his leverage is he's basically retired unless houston trades him. hypothetically the more time that goes by the less value deshaun has so it puts the pressure on houston to either get something sooner rather than later

It's so loving logical is seems inevitable, yet I'd give it even odds that the rich failson and zealot executive ignore reality.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also the longer he waits the better the chances Easterby gets busted for running some horrible criminal enterprise.

He has trans hooker written all over him

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

fartknocker posted:

Has JCPrepper98 responded to this yet?

https://twitter.com/JohnCPrepper98/status/1367301452352413697?s=20

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Intruder posted:

The early 90s Oilers were ridiculously stacked, they should have won at least one Superbowl. I guess the run and shoot just doesn't work. Like the 35-3 game where they should have been able to just eat away the clock but the scheme doesn't really allow for it. No establishing the run

e: as much as we laugh at the 24-0 blown lead, 35-3 against a team running their backup QB is so much worse

That game is the reason I keep watching games, no matter how ridiculous the score at halftime.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I never like forming opinions early on these things either way. I'm just a guy reading internet clippings so what the gently caress do I know. I do instinctively want to listen to the victim in all cases because their voices are regularly silenced. It says a lot about the Texans organization that my first reaction is that this is bullshit.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ches Neckbeard posted:

If I have the time line right he released the statement before the minimum award was put in or at the least came out.

This is right. We saw the original IG post, then Watson immediately responded that he was approached for a settlement

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

fsif posted:

It can't be that. If a dead comedy forum and Reddit can keep up, a newsroom can certainly cover a press conference.

My best guess is that the accusations are so explosive and Buzbee's reputation so questionable that they want to do an independent investigation before disseminating the story more widely, but the longer they wait the more they're implicitly tarnishing the credibility of the accusers.

This logic is flawed because they could do the bare minimum and just report the facts as we know them. How hard is it to say that 22 different woman are alleging sexual misconduct by one of the biggest quarterbacks in football? That is a simple statement of fact. They don't have to have opinions on the matter. Just address how serious this is and what future impact it'll have. Say something about not wanting to rush to judgment if you are afraid of consequences. But you can still address what is happening. In fact, it's their loving job.

NicelyNice posted:

All signs point to Watson being a scumbag but the fact this lawyer is a literal cartoon character is not doing any good to silence the galaxy brained crowd

"In contact with the Houston Police Department" apparently means "text conversation with someone literally named 'Detective' in his address book"

I can only read his tweets in the voice of Lionel Hutz now.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

fast cars loose anus posted:

I don't agree with that at all; the first sentence of the article says the lawsuits are about sexual assault and anyone who's been paying remote attention to this knew that already anyway. I don't believe there's anyone in the world who sees that and goes ah this doesn't matter but would suddenly decide it does if ESPN's top article was "Deshaun Watson loves assaulting masseuses: lawsuits" or something. Most people have already made up their minds and the idea that ESPN is trying to save Deshaun Watson or doesn't believe the accusations is an absurd thing to draw from that headline.

I suspect you being in Houston is skewing it so you are seeing more coverage, but most of the articles I've seen were essentially Friday afternoon news dumps. I've asked a bunch of friends who are casual football fans for their thoughts and they had no idea this was happening, even though they generally keep up with sports. It took them multiple days to even talk about it when it first broke. This story feels like it's being buried and the media is grudgingly covering it. That'll change the longer this goes on because it'll be too hard to ignore, but that doesn't change how irresponsible the media is in handling this.

sweet thursday posted:

One thing about news like this is it puts into stark relief how terrible sports journalism is when they have to step out of their lane of "Is This It For Brady?" and wade into real world issues

Basically this

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

fast cars loose anus posted:

I would be curious what y'all want to see in contrast, then, I guess, because a) I don't see how having a story laying out all currently know facts easily accessible is burying something and b) I don't believe for a second ESPN editorial has formed the opinion that all these women are lying and is acting on that and c) even if a and b are true if there's anything here that's real ESPN will simply not be able to bury it so why would they try now? What would represent responsible coverage of this?

It's already been stated better, but the issue is in the way it is being covered. The story didnt even hit major news outlets (at least not nationally) until late Friday, which is basically what happens when people want a story to be buried.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Phobeste posted:

Look man. I have no idea what you're saying here. I assume it's not actually bigoted or anything because you seem like a decent dude. But this is a thread about a guy doing tens of sexual assaults in 2021. You can't be just postin here. You can't just toss off poo poo without reading it through unless it's a joke like marsh or whatever. You can't just get real in your feelings and toss off stuff that seems deep in the moment because it will just look banal or dumb in the cold light of day. Just read your posts through before posting them and consider if it actually adds anything, if any insights are actually real or not, if there's an actual question that has a possibility to be answered, just anything other than another weird sophist deconstruction of ways it makes you feel bad where you accidentally imply like watson is the real victim or whatever. Please

All he said was it sucks that a high profile player who is very vocal about civil issues that matter turned out to be a monster because it only gives bigots ammunition to dismiss and attack those causes. He isn't wrong.

Watson's actions don't just have an impact on his own reputation. It has an impact on any cause he's ever supported. That is part of why this feels so much worse than when other allegations have come out. Because Watson had a reputation of being a really good dude. He had a lot farther to fall.

I'm pretty sure this is the exact thread to discuss all the long term ramifications of Watson's actions.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

indigi posted:

he’s wrong to worry about it because it turns out bigots don’t need ammunition to dismiss and attack those causes. nobody on either side will have their mind changed about BLM or homeless outreach or etc. by this

Truth

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

At this point, we are beyond spin control. He ain't saying poo poo.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Intruder posted:

There's literally no defense in my mind. These aren't sex workers. I think sex work should be ok but these are massage therapists trying to get a career started. So even if these encounters were "consensual" like he claims it's a person with the ability to make or break their careers putting them in a high pressure position where he's asking for something they weren't intending to give

gently caress that guy for real

This sums up my thoughts perfectly

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Elephanthead posted:

And he needed Instagram accounts to prove they were real masusses this is the same way I pick a heart surgeon

Before I agree to this operation, how many followers do you have?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

General Dog posted:

You know what, I bet the league would be happy to give him an out on that note.

(It’s going to be a moot point though, one way or another)

All he'll say is his lawyers say he can't talk about an ongoing case. It'll be a moot point

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Bob Socko posted:

Who would even take him now?

If there is one thing I have absolute faith in, it is the NFL being completely morally bankrupt.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Isn't Spencer Rattler supposed to be a thing?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I'm not trying to be a dick but it's not that remarkable. Jets, Bears and Lions parking lots are likely similarly empty. Hell I remember back during the tank you could get lower bowl tickets to the Browns Cowboys game for 5$. :shrug:

From the tweet I was expecting to hear Easterby preaching or something.

Nah, Bears are always packed.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'm not sure this applies.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

There was definitely talk about Watson refusing to waive his no trade clause for Carolina. Whether it was true is another matter.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

indigi posted:

I don’t care that it’s happening to Watson but this seems kind of hosed up for the justice system to be able to do

Yeah that does seem kind of hosed up. gently caress Watson and all, but that seems problematic. Doesn't feel like it should be legal

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

FizFashizzle posted:

Love how Watson first was tied to New Orleans because of their roster, then Atlanta because the home town pull, then chose the browns because they guaranteed his money and made it rape suspension proof.

It is really incredibly gross. I can't believe the Browns managed to make me hate them. Considering their history, that is an accomplishment

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Is there a link to the article? Curious where you read this.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Thanks

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I can't tell if this is anti-semitic. Since it is coming from the Texans, I'm going to assume it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Kalli posted:

Particularly one of these:

:perfect: