Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Help me out here goons.

I’m a gormless glutton and all that like a proper goon but are people allowed to claim part of a meal for leftovers or do people eating it during the initial meal take precedence?

I’m of the opinion that you can’t claim a portion of the meal for some nebulous future use. Only get what is truly left over.

Maybe I should post this on Reddit /r/relationships I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
What do you mean "claim part of a meal for leftovers"? Can you give an example here please OP?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Let’s say I make you a quiche or something and you want seconds but I won’t let you have it because I want to take it to work tomorrow.

Is that fair play?

Is this the actions of a man who has had ALL he can eat?!?

sisterSyzygy
Sep 5, 2013

The funk soul brother at the back of her head has gone dark. Forever.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Let’s say I make you a quiche or something and you want seconds but I won’t let you have it because I want to take it to work tomorrow.

Is that fair play?

yeah, dougie. you made it. it's all yours

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Do we live together? Are we a couple?
Am I someone you see once a year?
Do I care about your lunch tomorrow?
Is the quiche really, really good?

There's a lot of missing information here, help us help you.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
people who were not present due to work get 1 or 2 plates made for them. everyone else first come first serve. but youre not allowed to claim just meat from the host. you have to take a variety of leftovers
people who didnt show up because theyre lazy or did their holiday somewhere else can eat the scraps thrown to the dog

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Bronze Fonz posted:

Bitch you know my quiche is the best

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Bronze Fonz posted:

right and did they bring the whole quiche to the table or bring out individual plates? if the whole quiche I'd say it's gauche for them to deny another slice. if you know you need half for tomorrow or whatever, don't present it to the guests in the first place

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Nobody gets to claim a portion for later while the meal is still being eaten. If there's anything left after everyone is done eating then it's fair game.

Whoever is trying to do this is bullying you, and you don't have to take it.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Nobody gets to claim a portion for later while the meal is still being eaten. If there's anything left after everyone is done eating then it's fair game.

Whoever is trying to do this is bullying you, and you don't have to take it.

I like this answer and so I will stubbornly ignore all other info Hahaha

Does it change if they made it and they are let’s say.... my mom or something? Can I tell the hag to back off my tendies?

Remember we are not bullying anyone in here

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Back before the Covid I used to hang out In Restaurants and I’d watch people eating their meals like a hawk. The second I noticed they appeared to be done I’d run up to their table and plant my claim flags on any uneaten food on their plates unless, of course, they planted their flags first.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

hey OP, I think I can help you out! I've been on the other side of this issue many times! For some of us, one 'serving' is too big, and we'd really like to break it up into two or even three meals! Like, wow this sandwich is great, gonna have half now, half later! This is how I choose to consume my meal temporally... but if someone came along and ate it, I'd be pretty sad, because I was looking forward to eating it. Does this make sense?

Back before covid, when I would dine out with friends and acquaintances, people would start eating food off of my plate if I didn't eat it fast enough. Sometimes they wouldn't even ask, they would just start taking my food! I wasn't done with it either. I've also spied people eating off my plate when I would leave to go to the bathroom and return... now, I definitely understand communal dining, but that is not how food is served in many places in North America.

I notice you mention you are a glutton, so I think this is a great step! I think maybe gluttony is a sort of 'blindness to empathy' in this case, because you are needlessly feeding your craving and desire at the expense of yourself and others.

I hope this helps you understand, OP! Take care!

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I don’t like that answer as much can I just block that out?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

TheAardvark posted:

right and did they bring the whole quiche to the table or bring out individual plates? if the whole quiche I'd say it's gauche for them to deny another slice. if you know you need half for tomorrow or whatever, don't present it to the guests in the first place

This is the right answer you're looking for.

You want to keep some for lunch, don't put it on the table. As a guest it would be out of line to insist for more.
You put the whole thing down, you might have someone ask for a second plate. You can say no.

Ultimately, that quiche better be loving good for all the time we've talked about it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I don’t like that answer as much can I just block that out?

Yes because I don't think hell astro course understands what you're talking about.

Like no poo poo if you buy a 12 inch sub and only eat half of it I don't have the right to eat the other half, it's your loving sandwich.

But if I make a lasagna somebody doesn't get to mark half of it as 'hands off it's for leftovers' if I or other people at the table want to continue to eat lasagna.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

we don't always like the answers to the questions we ask, so I feel you there. :( but I will definitely follow you around and carry snacks if that will help? Kinda like cyrano de bergerac, except I will slip you a luna bar to chow down on before a social meal instead of a bon mot.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yes because I don't think hell astro course understands what you're talking about.

Like no poo poo if you buy a 12 inch sub and only eat half of it I don't have the right to eat the other half, it's your loving sandwich.

But if I make a lasagna somebody doesn't get to mark half of it as 'hands off it's for leftovers' if I or other people at the table want to continue to eat lasagna.

yeah wasting food is bad. but I think we should address why a person might feel entitled to a certain amount of part of a consumable object... I feel like the issue here is about how it's being consumed... with communal food it can be a bit more nuanced. It would absolutely be bad if people with hearty appetites were turned away because they were too shy to ask for the delicious food that would not otherwise be consumed!

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Is that fair play?

What the gently caress man, do you think I'm made of quiches? This is my goddamn lunch tomorrow, I've planned for this. I even planned to feed you, guess I just didn't plan for you being a goddamn black hole.

TheAardvark posted:

Oh, sorry you're majesty. I didn't realize I needed to conceal a portion of quiche from you so as not to file up your ravenous appetite, in future I'll be sure to cut your food up for you like a child.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I like this answer and so I will stubbornly ignore all other info Hahaha

Does it change if they made it and they are let’s say.... my mom or something? Can I tell the hag to back off my tendies?

Remember we are not bullying anyone in here

Your own goddamn mother! You're a monster OP.

In all seriousness though, I think you got to be considerate that you're being fed by someone else a d that they may have already accounted for having leftovers for lunch. If you were still hungry why not ask if you could have something else?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
You can be in the right morally but still make things unnecessarily awkward :shrug:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know what op? You are completely branching off into some unexplored realm of the psyche and human nature. The fact that humanity hasn’t considered this notion until you posted this thread speaks volumes, and I think you should go with the whispers of our ancestors here and let your co-diner to have seconds, and then if there’s anything left over put that in the fridge for later. :gbsmith:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheAardvark posted:

You can be in the right morally but still make things unnecessarily awkward :shrug:

I’m actually kind of with the food flags idea tbh.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Thought this thread would be about that super boring and hilariously slow HBO show. Happy to be wrong

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Dear Watson posted:

Back before the Covid I used to hang out In Restaurants and I’d watch people eating their meals like a hawk. The second I noticed they appeared to be done I’d run up to their table and plant my claim flags on any uneaten food on their plates unless, of course, they planted their flags first.

I knew a girl who did that, except instead of planting flags she just ate the food directly off of the plates they left behind.

She also once found a big cake that was only a little bit old in a dumpster so can't argue about the results (diarrhea).

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Help me out here goons.

I’m a gormless glutton and all that like a proper goon but are people allowed to claim part of a meal for leftovers or do people eating it during the initial meal take precedence?

I’m of the opinion that you can’t claim a portion of the meal for some nebulous future use. Only get what is truly left over.

Maybe I should post this on Reddit /r/relationships I dunno

host keeps the leftovers unless they insist on sending them out with people at the end of the night. host cannot reserve leftovers during the event, all food is fair game to even the fattest of guests during the evening

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

All of the food is mine.
Even if I'm not there.
Even if I don't know you.
Even if I don't want it.
That's mine.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Season 1 was good, albeit a little formulaic with how they forced in some characters from around town who were there just to round out the cast, but overall laid out an interesting groundwork. Season 2 was a major step up in writing and character development, although shocking considering they moved across the country. Season 3 was some of the best TV in the 2010s, the location shift this time and the time jumps along with the focus on the two main characters was excellent and the International Assassin episode was absolutely Emmy worthy.

That would be my general assessment of how you should treat each season.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Big Beef City posted:

All of the food is mine.
Even if I'm not there.
Even if I don't know you.
Even if I don't want it.
That's mine.

How did my ferret get a forums account

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
theres always one greedy bitch in every office party or staff lunch that takes 2 or 3 helpings 'to save for later' before other people have a chance to even get their first helping, they should have their legs broke

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Leftovers? Just eat it all OP.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Is that fair play?

You're within your rights as the maker of the quiche to do this but its still poor form and hospitality. You can do it but the guest can judge you for it but only silently or behind your back. If someone else made the quiche or you ordered it you're an rear end in a top hat no question.

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Thought this thread would be about that super boring and hilariously slow HBO show. Happy to be wrong

They both involve guilty remnants

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CheeseThief posted:

What the gently caress man, do you think I'm made of quiches? This is my goddamn lunch tomorrow, I've planned for this. I even planned to feed you, guess I just didn't plan for you being a goddamn black hole.

You should have make 2 quiches then! A second quiche is like zero extra work, and you can have quiche for lunch all week. gently caress it, make 3 quiches. We could both be eating quiche till we're sick!

jarofpiss posted:

host keeps the leftovers unless they insist on sending them out with people at the end of the night. host cannot reserve leftovers during the event, all food is fair game to even the fattest of guests during the evening

Yep, if you don't want to feed people don't invite them to eat. But here's a subtle grey zone area: roommates who ordinarily don't share food, when the offer to share was initiated by the other person.

Let's say I make a quiche, and then Noblesse Obliged walks through the door and says "Wow that quiche smells great, can I have some?" If I say yes then they should restrict themselves to a normal portion. Because in that situation I wasn't planning to feed my gluttonous roommate, I was just being nice. And if I see Noblesse reaching for the rest of the pie I'm within rights to say "hey dude that's my lunch for tomorrow, make yourself a sandwich or something."

And maybe the yes to the initial question will have some context like "sure, help yourself" or something that implies that you can pig out and eat as much as you want. But in that case you should maybe wash some of the dishes to show appreciation.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Supreme Allah posted:

theres always one greedy bitch in every office party or staff lunch that takes 2 or 3 helpings 'to save for later' before other people have a chance to even get their first helping, they should have their legs broke

I once worked with a dude who brought his own large bowl to these. Think like... Dog bowl sized, fill it to the brim with every possible thing, mix them all up and wolf it down
He would repeat this until he was in physical pain.
He would take every possible leftover home.
He would eat ENTIRE boxes of donuts and whole birthday cakes if unsupervised.
He had to be talked to by management about this.
Multiple times.

His desk was full of various sauce and salt packets because he would take ALL of them.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Say there’s 4 people, 8 portions, one portion is certainly enough the quality for a full meal, but if you wanna food coma yourself 2 is doable, the host has made it clear it’s okay to split everything/take leftovers, in a typical office break room you’ll usually end up with 2 people who just eat 2 portions cause they don’t wanna worry about it/miss out, but then a stand-off between the fatass that wants to eat a third portion right now and the polite person who only initially took one but would ultimately like to have had that 2nd one as a leftover.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

if you lick the surface of the dinner then no one else will want it and you can claim leftovers AND seconds. How did you even make it past elementary school without learning this important rule?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Making a large meal with the express purpose of having part of it at work the next day is a perfectly normal thing to do.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Is that fair play?

Yeah you have to allow seconds, but you don't have to be happy about it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We have way too much etiquette, take some home with you.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

So let’s say I’m married

Hahahaha ya I know

But let’s pretend for a thought exercise. And my spouse makes a big mass of beef stroganoff.

Can they Pre claim a quarter of it for their future meal? Can they only if they cooked it?

This is more complicated than I initially thought when I was screeching at my mother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
The answer to your question can be answered with the age old understanding that my wife is allowed to eat some of my French fries, but I’m not even allowed to think about going after hers.