Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

bgreman posted:

Edit: the footage for 1982 is notably better, at least for Kaylami. Most of the 82 field has no front wings.

82 is also a season that majorly changed how the cars looked, on the same scale as 94. The Villeneuve, Pironi and Paletti accidents really pushed them to move the drivers back in the car and stop the giant launches when the cars raised the nose during contact, and is the reason we still have flat floors on the cars to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
everyone who wants to use an incredibly cringe rivals pun itt should provide evidence of using it in a reply/quote/tagged social media post to the driver they're talking about or be shamed as a coward

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gravity is downforce so he's right

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Was that the whole dropped points thing?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The thing about the 80s battles is how close the cars follow each other, it looks really jarring coming from watching modern races

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Azza Bamboo posted:

With all of the loss of life, limb and spectators also striken I found myself curious about the safety improvements that would be made between 82 and 83.

They got rid of the ground effect skirts, saying the downforce was too dangerous.

That is all.

Ground effect designs were a big contributor to both the Ferrari accidents though, as well as several others with less severe consequences. The ground effect cars had a tendency to 'fly' if the nose raised and broke the seal with the ground, contributing to far more violent impacts and potential inversions. There were also the secondary considerations of high cornering speeds making in-corner collisions more dangerous, and the stresses on the driver of the higher G forces leading to fatigue. More could certainly have been done to make the cars safer, but it would be wrong to consider ground effect designs as being detached from the safety of the sport.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

bgreman posted:

In other safety :gonk: from the 83 season, Tambay wins for Ferrari at Imola, can't finish his victory lap, parks up, and gets absolutely mobbed by the tifosi. The number of fans on the track when these races finish up is utterly insane.

10+ more years left of that, I think they finally got a handle on it in the back half of the 90s.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

the corona quid posted:

Has Arnoux ever commented on it at all? It was such a bizarre thing and given how well he had done it had to have been him sleeping with Enzo’s niece

I thought the whole thing was just because he was a noted arsehole even by F1 driver standards and Ferrari just gave him one last chance at the start of 85 then went 'nope still a wanker' and dropped him. It probably didn't help that even though he finished 4th it was two entire laps down and meanwhile Alboreto was right on the tail of Prost.

Vando fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 30, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Frond posted:

His words were that he he had a disagreement with Postlewaithe and Forghieri about the car. Which I don’t buy for a second, as the 156/85 was class of the field, at least initially.

I think the 'disagreement' probably boiled down to being asked 'why are you 2 laps down on your teammate get it together' and him trying to call the car poo poo in response, something that is traditionally well received over in Maranello.

Frond posted:

He was actually liked more at Renault than Prost. The Renault factory workers preferred Rene.
The faster dickhead will always get the benefit of the doubt, if Arnoux had been dunking on Alboreto all of 1984 they'd probably have put up with him more too.

e: or sacked him for making the Italian guy look bad

Vando fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 30, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

News years honest list, thought this may be relevant in this great thread

what the gently caress is this poo poo

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Azza Bamboo posted:

There's only one non-turbo car on the track now and it's a Tyrell. I'd feel sorry for the poor sod who has to drive it, but this drive propels Martin Brundle into a cushy commentating job, so there's naught to worry about.

It's ok, you can feel sorry for Bellof instead.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
that post is performing so badly you could slap a horse on it and call it a Ferrari

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
somehow the youtube recommendation algorithm has thrown up something that seems actually good, only watched the first 15 mins so far but it's the good poo poo. I get the feeling from the description/angle of the narration that it might end up showing fatal accidents so y'know, be aware etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtW7ZTCfC5I

Vando fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 4, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
they were all doing a Schumacher skiing bit please settle down

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Lou Takki posted:

Private jets are dumb and wasteful.

much like driving directly into a wall so this fits his personality perfectly imo

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

The Croc posted:

Apparently carlos did a racism?

*another racism

you might even say, a 2nd racism

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

the corona quid posted:

Man it’s almost like if the type of people who are willing to bet their whole future to try and compete in professional sports and willing to be the constant centre of media attention aren’t well adjusted mentally 🤔

every single one of them is so far removed from the real world that they can do a real serious "hey everyone, just want to remind you all to stay safe out there" message one day then immediately go out clubbing or some poo poo because consequences are what happen to the little people, right?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Zeta Acosta posted:

i wonder how gunther would do on a non lovely team

gently caress that, someone convince Ferrari he's the Italian genius they're missing

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Payndz posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/24/f1-asked-to-hold-inquiry-into-alleged-human-rights-abuses-in-bahrain

Lol at the FIA making out that they care a great deal about human rights issues as they prepare to race in SAUDI loving ARABIA.

not to mention the UNITED loving KINGDOM and UNITED STATES OF loving AMERICA

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
like sure the saudis massacred a journalist but their main issue was they literally massacred them instead of going by the Big Boy Book of Politeness or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
lights back and away we do this