Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Isn't most of this stuff due to the roof being crap and letting water and moisture geting in where it shouldn't. I mean yes it's overall shoddy and wrong construction, but evens shoddy construction could still stand a long time, as long as the roof is built right and keeps water out, roofs are the most important part of a house.

Seems to me you'd need to tear off the roof and make a new roof. Possibly replacing the loft roof as well and make a new single roof line that goes from the loft to the kitchen exenstion (and no skylights). I am not sure if that's just lipstick on a pig though.

I've no idea on the windows because american windows and designs are unfamiliar, and I am not sure what I am seeing in your photos. Is the water between two panes, or is it water on the inside? The latter to me says the inside humidity is too high and the windows are cold so condensation forms on them. Got a humidity meter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Seems to me a matter of how you define it. To me, heat getting to the roof so stuff melts on it, indicates an improperly built roof as the outermost layer of the roof should be separated from such a possibility with a ventilated air gap and a secondary barrier. But nordic construction probably differs.

Improper insulation further down makes the problem of an improperly built roof worse though. The heat just shouldn't be allowed to get that far up to begin with. Not enough slope on the roof is also an issue, and using asphalt shingles instead of sheet metal (the snow just slides off the first chance it gets).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

What is your indoor humidity like? Put up meters in various rooms, see if it's excessive. Then you have one more data point.

I also wanted to know about the condensation on your windows, is the condensation between window panes, or is it on the inside, because I had trouble telling from the pictures.

EDIT: Actually I noticed you swabbed a finger over the condensation, so inside it is. That is telling of high indoor humidity, or a very cold window.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 22, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ooh ok on the outside, well I guess it means a leaky window. So the idea is moist indoor air leaks out and migrates up into the eaves and causes condensation, which then causes frost and the ice dam problem?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OK so it looks like multiple leaks to me, and I guess the problem is a leaky vapor barrier (and perhaps a leaky window) and possibly shoddy insulation compounding the problem.

Do you have overpressure or underpressure in your house? I mean does air naturally wanna flow in or out of springs and leaks. If you got overpressure, all these problems will be magnified and moisture will be pushed through whereever it can. Houses here are designed to have a slight underpressure indoors because that's better than the alternative.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Our ventilation system (centralized with heat recovery of the outgoing air) controls both in and out and the out is slightly over what is pulled in. You could achieve something like that by adding a fan or several to pull air out.

You could also determine this by opening a window or door and check which way the draft goes. As long as there isn't any wind at the time.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 23, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Just how much humidity does a microwave produce? Never even heard of the concept of a vented microwave before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OK so it's for the range, a must have IMO then.

Negative pressure is the common way to build here, never had that issue. The vent is insulated at any rate, with a kind of "sock".