Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Wow, that's an amazing ice dam.

Unfortunately I have no experience with dealing with ice dams (except that it's caused by either non-ventilation of the unconditioned attic space OR by air leaking from the living space into the attic), because I don't live in a place that gets under freezing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The technique to replace a window is as follows: https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/prevent-window-leaks-with-proper-window-installation/

Note: flashing needs to be correctly applied so that any water that sits on the top of a window will flow off the edges outside of the house, instead of being trapped in wood. Once the window is installed, the interior areas inside of the wood frame need to be caulked. See how doing this essentially requires that all of the siding be torn off.

Skylights are more complicated. The first line of defense requires that an underlayment be installed. Following this is the metal flashing. On the lower side of the skylight, the metal must sit over the roof shingles so that water doesnt leak into the roof shingles. On the upper side of the skylight, the metal will sit under the roof. Finally, as usual, once the skylight is placed in the hole, edges need to be caulked prior to drywall to avoid leakage.

If poor window or skylight installation is your main problem, then the only way to fix it is to completely redo the flashing by removing the siding.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
ice dams are a completely distinct problem that aren't solely because of the roof.