Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
Ignore the haters posting in this thread. Armchair internet experts declaring half your house a teardown based on a few pictures are really being reckless with both your money and emotions. I think you are doing a great job trying to tackle this. It does make sense to put in the effort you are to educate yourself and pursue low-cost solutions, even if they have might have a low chance of working.

Let me be clear I am not an expert in this area. But if this really is an air exfiltration problem is it possible that there are a range of solutions that land at different points in the cost/effort/effectiveness/DIY-able plane? For example, and I am totally bullshitting here with zero experience, but what about something like pull the interior trim, throw up a vapor barrier, put up 1/4" drywall over it and redo trim as needed? Assuming that would actually work, while its clearly pretty crazy and not something any reputable contractor would do, it might be cheaper, less invasive, and more amenable to DIY than other options. Again, no idea if this would work, but there for sure have to be a range of things that would work that are going to be better for your personal situation than tearing down your house or trying to pass this problem on to someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Epitope posted:

I think y'all have a good picture. You're not the first one to suspect the bathroom fan. I heard that the 2015 roofers may have fingered that as the culprit. It may be involved, but I'm fairly sure it's not the main issue.

It seems like you are in a spot where it doesn't hurt to take some simple steps and this would be as good a starting point as any. Even if you don't think it's the main issue, it is pretty simple compared to other options. Not to mention someone in the thread who is an expert identified it as a possible source of your problems.

If I were you I'd take all the small pieces of diagnostic advice in this thread and just try it and see what seems to help. Buy some humidity sensors, maybe run a dehumidifier, look into the bathroom fan. You probably aren't ever going to figure this thing out 100%, especially not by posting pictures online and taking down a trim board here or there, so just get started with the easy stuff!

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
What is that box the microwave vent runs through?