Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This isn't BFC, it's the broken houses forum where we try to fix broken houses. It's full of threads about houses that should have been teardowns but the owners are fixing with their own blood, sweat and tears (and dollars). That may not always be the most financially optimal thing to do, but it's why we're here.

If you don't have any helpful input on helping the OP diagnose and potentially repair their problem, I'd suggest not posting in this thread. The OP has heard 'everything is hosed tear it down' and that may well wind up being the last recourse, but in the meantime I don't think it's helpful.

OP I would be hesitant about contacting your homeowners insurance about this. They may not help you and like Motronic said, they might kick you off your insurance. You have some slow-ish, long term problems with your house, but it doesn't look immediately catastrophic. Your particular problems are pretty foreign to my warm climate and I don't know much about them, but a good course of action would seem to be to spend the winter months trying to find the source of the problems so that someone can fix it in the spring/summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If you have water dripping out of your ceiling when it isn’t raining (or really, even if it is raining) you definitely have a problem. How major of a problem is hard to say, but if you ignore water getting into your house, it will guaranteed turn into a worse problem than it is right now.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Clear packing top on every seam anywhere in your house maybe? They make that heat and shrink window film for exactly this purpose (but usually to stop drafts coming in).