Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

I never got that as a kid. Man I love this game :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I have tried many times to understand what a "dangling participle" is and I still have no idea.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

DoubleNegative posted:

The book contains riddles and has a page missing. Alexander glances at a few of the conundrums, but finds himself more curious about the one that is missing. What was the riddle, he wonders. More importantly, what was the answer?

Call it a hunch, but I think we've already seen the answer.

Same border style, and the red could easily be faded or even just dimmer because it's smaller. This is what leads me to think the riddle is one we'll be seeing much, much later in the game because it would give a sense of closure to the whole thing.

huh, only now do I make a connection to where this happens in the game later, I legit always thought you just needed to understand riddles and use the right piece in your inventory. no wonder I've never gotten 100% points in this game

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Aww you took the Cavs reference out of the previous update. :(

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

queserasera posted:

Aww you took the Cavs reference out of the previous update. :(

It’s still there! I’ve been moving old updates to LPix to keep the thread from being overwhelmed, and the joke reference joke is still intact on the test poster!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
For some reason it always greatly amuses me when adventure games acknowledge the inherent goofiness of the protagonist carrying half a warehouse's worth of random items, small animals and decaying food in their coat/pants. :v:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Maybe I'm just dumb, but are the bits in italics new lines from the Windows version or dialogue you're adding to punch up otherwise boring conversations?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Truthkeeper posted:

Maybe I'm just dumb, but are the bits in italics new lines from the Windows version or dialogue you're adding to punch up otherwise boring conversations?

well, there are FFXIV references

so I'm p sure it's the Windows version

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

well, there are FFXIV references

so I'm p sure it's the Windows version

this tbh

Italicized dialogue is me having fun by adding text.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

DoubleNegative posted:

this tbh

Italicized dialogue is me having fun by adding text.

I want you to know that I appreciate your original writing! Not everyone who does it for LP's does it in a funny or enjoyable way, but you do.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

VIII - His name is Abdul Alhazred

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 30, 2020

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I like to assume that the book of spells has more than just three, but it only shows the pertinent ones in order to avoid red herrings. Alternatively, this particular wizard just really enjoyed rain for some reason.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Maybe the spell book is like recipes on the internet with a long pointless story before each set of instructions.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It's more of a spell pamphlet, really.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

DoubleNegative posted:

Why does the evil vizier always have "fine-sounding ideas"? Also, it's apparently no coincidence that the vizier is named after the author of the Necronomicon. According to the King's Quest wiki, he IS the same person.

When I first got into the whole Cthulhu Mythos as a teen I read about Alhazred and the Necronomicon my first thought was “Wait, the villain from KQVI?”

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Blastinus posted:

I like to assume that the book of spells has more than just three, but it only shows the pertinent ones in order to avoid red herrings. Alternatively, this particular wizard just really enjoyed rain for some reason.

The wizard was a stardew fanatic obviously.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Guildenstern Mother posted:

The wizard was a stardew fanatic obviously.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

IX - Not a Very Pleasant Stick-in-the-Mud

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 1, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So a fun way to get stuck is to try the teacup on the swamp and then leave the screen. If you do that and then try and give the log the tomato it won't accept it. You have to start the whole stupid conversation over via the teacup to progress.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Oh hey I learnt a new expression in English and I had explained to me in the same conversation! Edutainment!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The noble prince, getting random people into fights so he can loot the stuff they throw at each other. :v:

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I think Rotten Tomato still has a line of dialog after everything's said and done.

It's been over 20 years since I played KQ6, and I still remember the yell he makes before he's thrown.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

PurpleXVI posted:

The noble prince, getting random people into fights so he can loot the stuff they throw at each other. :v:

Also, making babies cry so he can steal their tears. All in a day's work for an adventure game protagonist.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Eh, it's making plants cry. Could be worse, could have slain a plant for its 'blood'.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I absolutely love this scene :allears:

Also thanks for all these tidbits about the long and short endings, and DMW scenarios. I played this game a looooong time ago and had a bitch of a time getting a perfect score, so it takes me back.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
I always felt kinda bad that I couldn't get milk for the other baby plants after stealing their tears.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Finally catching up on this thread after realizing that I had, indeed, followed the first one. I'd like to point out at least one way in which the game is already even more forgiving than most people give it credit for. If you do trade away your ring before meeting Jollo, it's possible to trade the map back to get it. I think Jollo hangs out in the bookstore long enough for you to get back to him with it, but I could well be wrong about that. Heck, there's even dialogue if you trade the ring or the map to get the pearl back. Interestingly, Sing-Sing the nightingale only appears once you've traded the ring for the map, to make sure you don't send it away before buying the only means of getting off the island. If you then trade the map back for the ring, the nightingale will disappear until you have the map back. She'll only hang around in the presence of the ring once you have the pearl as well.

The game blocks you from a lot of scenarios where you'd have no way to progress, and they usually do a great job of signposting the ones that you can still reach.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Nidoking posted:

Finally catching up on this thread after realizing that I had, indeed, followed the first one. I'd like to point out at least one way in which the game is already even more forgiving than most people give it credit for. If you do trade away your ring before meeting Jollo, it's possible to trade the map back to get it. I think Jollo hangs out in the bookstore long enough for you to get back to him with it, but I could well be wrong about that. Heck, there's even dialogue if you trade the ring or the map to get the pearl back. Interestingly, Sing-Sing the nightingale only appears once you've traded the ring for the map, to make sure you don't send it away before buying the only means of getting off the island. If you then trade the map back for the ring, the nightingale will disappear until you have the map back. She'll only hang around in the presence of the ring once you have the pearl as well.

The game blocks you from a lot of scenarios where you'd have no way to progress, and they usually do a great job of signposting the ones that you can still reach.

They do seem to have learned a lot from their mistakes in KQ5.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

X - Magical Flying Nightshade Bush

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 3, 2021

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
There's another line directed towards the player while climbing the Cliffs. If you leave him alone long enough, Alexander wobbles on the step he's standing on. Telling him to move while he's wobbling has him say "Whoa! Wait a minute!"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh man, the Catacombs. I remember busting my brain on this place several times. It has some rude puzzles if I remember right.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So fun thing I found out recently. A) there's a speedrunning community for this game because of course there is B) they recently figured out that in the next section you can hold down alt and walk straight through the tile puzzle

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Alexander knows no fear because his whole life, he's been able to escape any danger just by using whatever he has in his pockets. He does not know of the existence of the thousands of alternate timelines where he's died horrible deaths because he or his father didn't pick up a wooden top or whatever.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

B) they recently figured out that in the next section you can hold down alt and walk straight through the tile puzzle

:aaaaa:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Taking deaths to save time

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

I recently read through your entire series of this game including your first attempt at 6 so I'm super stoked to see you finishing it. Thanks for doing this!

I absolutely love the charm that these games have. They're very twee, but in a way that's so sincere that it works. As a kid, Hakim's description of the pawn shop items always made them feel special, and that hasn't really changed. Even playing it as an adult I'm like "drat that painter's brush sounds dope, I should get one of those" (my wife paints and I am literally surrounded by paintbrushes. But they're not THE Painter's Brush).

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh man, the Catacombs. I remember busting my brain on this place several times. It has some rude puzzles if I remember right.

Yeah the Catacombs are probably the one part of the game that most resembles the open hostility to the player that was Sierra's calling card. At least they're pretty open about it and more or less say "Hey man, go in here without the right items and you're a dead man walking." If this were KQ5 they would immediately chuck you in without giving you a chance to prepare. They'd also lock the door forever once you got out so if you missed a key item from within the Catacombs, you were screwed. Fortunately this isn't KQ5 so it's more forgiving, but still.

The floor puzzle in the Catacombs is a little strange to me - the solution for it is in the manual, so I guess it's a second layer of copy protection?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The floor solution AND an unmarked map of the catacombs are in the manual.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

B) they recently figured out that in the next section you can hold down alt and walk straight through the tile puzzle

:lol: that is amazing, kinda reminds me of the minefield in MGS

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This game has an amazing guide. Jane Jensen's influence, I guess. Even if the LP doesn't quote the relevant section for each island, you can read along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OK, I'm catching up with this, and I love the Sense Gnomes.

quote:

You've been trying to get me killed for the past several days.

I AM a lalafell! That's kinda what we do.

Also, I have questions.