Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh man, this is a great game but I know Stuff about it so my job is to shut up and watch as people freak out over plot confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Classy Hydra posted:

Bought this game a few days ago based almost exclusively on how good it looked from the OP, going places barely scratches the surface of how hard this story goes. I'm about 80% in and I'm still expecting everything I know to be overturned a few dozen more times.

The battle system's kinda fun as well, but honestly I've never actually encountered any real difficulty.

Yeah I'm gonna put the battle difficulty up to hard.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I say this on a dime to anyone who asks and frankly several people who didn't ask: yes, if you find the combat easy, turn it up to Intense, and go for max ranks, all optional objectives and resolve never to press the Coward's Button, which will make sense in context.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man I'm excited someone's doing this, I'd imagine it's a massive undertaking to LP but it's a wild trip worth taking.

If you have any interest in this game, please strongly consider buying it. Vanillaware isn't a huge developer, from my understanding the game was stuck in development hell for a while, and the US release got overlooked due to new console hype.

Also OP, I'm curious how you're planning on handling the stories once you've got everyone unlocked, there's definitely some that are better to play through sooner rather than later (and some that are really, really confusing if you go through them too early- the way the game gates them isn't quite perfect).

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 21, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Also OP, I'm curious how you're planning on handling the stories once you've got everyone unlocked, there's definitely some that are better to play through sooner rather than later (and some that are really, really confusing if you go through them too early- the way the game gates them isn't quite perfect).

I was leaning towards thread voting but we haven't gotten there yet and it could turn out to be a bad idea so... idk?

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I'm acting like an amateur.

I guess life comes at you fast.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 3: Takatoshi Hijiyama 1

1944, huh…?

Music: LONER (Azusa Chiba)

The sooner I’m out of here, the better.

Someone’s changed the shifter’s access key, huh?

A young man runs up. As the girl turns, the holographic screens quickly disappear.

So you came after me, Hijiyama-kun.
This has to be some misunderstanding. You can’t be a spy, can you?
Hm… Sounds like the professor, all right.

Why did you run off? The military’s looking for you.

But you’re the professor’s daughter! You can’t be a spy—it doesn’t make sense!
Sorry to break it to you. I’m not his daughter. The real Kiriko Douji’s still over in Tokyo.

I don’t need to steal any secrets on the Sentinels.

Consider Kiriko Douji

(Professor Douji led the Sentinel Project for our efforts in the war. His daughter, Kiriko-san, came along with him, but… What does it mean if this isn’t her?)

Consider Sentinel

(Is she serious? She says she built the Sentinel herself, but…)

…What happened to you?
That’s about what I figured you’d say.

Use Kiriko Douji on Kiriko Douji

Then who are you?
You wouldn’t believe me if I told you. Or maybe… This really isn’t about who I am. Maybe it’s just about what you feel towards me.

Use Sentinel on Kiriko Douji

You built them?
Yeah, that was me.

We are about… 45 minutes into this game, I’d like to remind everyone. Already just casually dropping poo poo most games would save for the end.

I drew up the designs in an editor. The I just had to send the order into an automated factory.

No, you’re probably just confused, that’s all…
I even implanted the linking component into your head.

I’m sorry, what?

Though you wouldn’t remember, of course. Anesthesia, and all.
When you came to the factory… You said you were there on behalf of the professor…
It was as good a cover story as any.

You’re kind of a simple guy. There’s something about you, though…

I’m saying… I’m gonna miss you.

This is goodbye.

That’s impossible…

If we move Hijiyama to the far left, we can examine these bushes.

She can’t have had time to run into the mountains. Where did Kiriko-san go…?

Music: Sneaking Suspicions (Kikuchi Yukinori)

He’s the one who snuck into the factory! There’s something fishy about him… But… If he’s working with her, then… He might know where she’s gone. I’ll hide behind a tree and see what he’s up to…

Something about this situation is just abjectly hilarious to me. Maybe it’s that Hijiyama here really is dirt simple and has no idea what the hell is going on, maybe it’s just the game making you physically move him behind the tree, and maybe it’s the big “Hide Behind Tree” text, I dunno.

Hey Hijiyama, you’re wearing bright white clothing! Maybe get down in the bushes a little at least?

Might still catch up if I’m fast. Coordinates read Sector 4, in the year 1984…

So you’re the spy… But there’s no escaping me now.
……
What are you doing here?
If I told you, you’d laugh in my face.

Geez, no one has any faith in our boy Hijiyama’s ability to understand.

Answer me, or I’ll do more than laugh at you!
…I’m going to time travel to another era.

*sigh*

Consider To Another Time

(He’s just playing games with me. “Time travel”? Really? This is reality, not some penny dreadful…)

I’m a big fan of this game’s writing.

Use Kiriko Douji on Suspicious Man

Yeah.
I knew it…
Though that wasn’t actually her, of course.
Is that really true? She said something along those lines, too…
…“She”, huh? Must’ve been pretty convincing, then.

Hey, you. Reading this. Don’t worry about it. I am telling you not to worry about it.

You’re just trying to confuse me…

Consider Tsukasa Okino

(This can’t be true, can it? Was the Kiriko Douji I knew… really a man? This “Tsukasa Okino”?)

Use To Another Time on Suspicious Man

Try a better story next time.
This “Kiriko Douji” of yours? He did it himself just moments ago. Escaped from here into the future.

I don’t have time for this. Step back. I’m going after him.
Well…

Yeah, he just said that, dude. Keep up.

Where? Show me.
You don’t want to get caught in this shift. Keep your distance.
Right, your “time travel.”

Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Music: LONER (Azusa Chiba)

And we’re suddenly 41 years in the future. Of course.

He knows you’d beat his rear end, Wajima-san! Probably shittin’ his pants right now.
Turned tail and ran, huh?

CONSIDER: YAKISOBA PAN!

Consider Yakisoba Pan

(Noodles stir-fried in sauce, enfolded in sweetened bread… I don’t trust much in this post-war world… But if there’s one exception, it’s my yakisoba pan.)

Listening to this English VA pronounce “yakisoba pan” gives me infinite life

Nearly knocked my friggin’ arm out of its socket.
You wanna apologize?
Oh, did I hit you? Sorry about that.
You’re sorry? “Sorry” don’t pay my goddamn hospital bills.

Oh! I’m wise to this scam! Kiryu’ll show up any minute now and wreck these guys, just hang back.

So? I don’t have money, if that’s what you’re after.

People been talkin’ about this guy. He’s the one who’s been snatchin’ all the jackets!
The hell? Wait, yeah… This guy’s wearin’ one of our uniforms.
Oh, so you know the guy who owned this? I don’t have any relatives around. I’m basically homeless at the moment. So the clothes and the cash were a really big help. He was a generous guy. Tell him I said thanks. Take care.

The delicious yakisoba pan flies out of Hijiyama’s hand as Wajima grabs him!

I didn’t even get a single bite…

You got a problem with me, buddy?
You’re the one who’s about to have a problem.

Sic ‘im.

Time for the fight scene!

Note: fight scene may be too expensive to animate.

L-Look, we’ll get you another snack, man!
I’ve got no mercy for people who waste food. Especially yakisoba pan.

I thought you called me out for a fight, Wajima.

And who are you? A friend of theirs?

I didn’t ask you to fight my battles, pal.

You’re that Jacket Snatcher. Hijiyama or somethin’…

I told them I didn’t need the help, but they wouldn’t take no for an answer.
Yeah, I’ll bet.

Don’t go picking fights you can’t win.
I’ve heard enough, douchebag. And you owe me a fight.

Well, you’re gonna regret it…

I guess you fit right in here in the ‘80s. Here I figured I’d have to check up on you.

I know that voice… and that face…!

I came for a fight, and I’m gettin’ one.

Music: Between The Lines (Kikuchi Yukinori)

He has to be close by.

That bastard kicked like a horse. Pretty tough for a thug. He almost had me for a moment there…

Nothing on the left side…

…nothing on the right.

Let’s try up the stairs, then.

“Kiriko” looks surprised briefly to see Hijiyama, but continues down the stairs.

Were you looking for me all night? Still as reckless as ever, huh?

Don’t try to talk around it.

I figured you’d be here soon, so. Got some breakfast for you, too.
Half a year I’ve been searching for you. Half a year, thinking of what I’d say to your face.
I got you some yakisoba pan… You didn’t get any yesterday, right?

*gulp* Look, th-that’s not the point!

We’re going whether you like it or not.
And if I say no?

Besides, you’re a man, aren’t you?

Use Tsukasa Okino on Kiriko Douji

Why do you wear women’s clothes?

You weren’t complaining when you confessed to me.

Heh. You’re kind of a dick, you know that, Okino?

(blushing) ……
I’m not exactly the picture of masculinity anyway. Better than trying to pass as some militant with a buzzcut.
So, why are you dressed like that now?

(blushing) U-Uh…
You’re a funny guy, Hijiyama-kun.
……

This lets me hide the fact that I’m even alive.

Use Kiriko Douji on Tsukasa Okino

Fun little detail: now that we’ve asked about his true identity, “Kiriko’s” identity has changed to Okino even in this Thought Cloud menu.

Even convincing everyone you were a girl…?
Professor Douji thought it’d be a good idea. See, he’s… Well, all Shikishima’s tech really began with him. Shikishima made incredible strides after the war. And a lot of that was thanks to his work. Though it didn’t hurt that I taught him about his future’s technology.
But why? Why would you make that deal with him?
…For the Sentinel.

Use Sentinel on Tsukasa Okino

It was an accident that it showed up at all. It was never meant to be there. I mean, come on. You’ve seen it. You think they could make that back in the 1940s? Even here in the ‘80s, it’s out of our league. That’s not human craftsmanship. It was made in the future, in an automated factory. Let me put it in layman’s terms: There was an incident, and it got broken. Our goal was to fix it there so it could fight again.
But wasn’t it meant to be used against the USA?
……
Then who or what was it made to fight…?

I have to get back, no matter what. If we can finish the Sentinel Project, we can win the war.
…You’re a good guy, but kind of an open book, you know that?
Say whatever you want. I don’t care who you really are anymore. Just get me home. I know about the air raids. And Okinawa, Hiroshima, Nagasaki… I can’t just let those attacks happen. I can’t let those people die.
So you did some reading in the history section. Between all the manual labor you’ve been doing, and your living conditions—or, well, lack thereof, you’re a lot more determined than I expected.
You’ve been keeping tabs on me…?

There’s something I still need to do. And that something is here in 1985. I just need you to wait until that’s finished. Actually, I’d really appreciate your help with it. It does involve you, after all. When it’s finally all over, then…

How’s that sound?

No, I… What I want is to go back to my own time.
If you’re sure.

My base is over there on the second floor.

I’m wearing the uniform. Where do you think?

Your yakisoba pan’s on the desk inside.

Wow, was that your stomach? You haven’t eaten anything since yesterday, huh? Go ahead. The door’s unlocked.

Stop being stubborn and go get some breakfast.

Welcome back, old friend.

Maybe he really was just manipulating me… Well, it is yakisoba pan. Not much I could do…

Consider The Uniform

(If he’s in that uniform, he’s probably going to school… But what’s he trying to accomplish there?)

E A T

Well, as long as I’ve got it…

The sauce is so sweet, yet so spicy…!

Hijiyama snarfs the entire thing down in two bites.

It won’t do me any good if he slips away. I might as well check my old school…

And so ends another prologue.

We’re now faced with another combat tutorial to break things up.

Music: (ISOLEUCINE) (Yoshimi Kudo)

“We will never stop until our foes lie dead.” I’m not about to forget my duty, Okino. Where to next?
Don’t get ahead of yourself. We’re not done here.

I’ll release some more drones to expand our search range.
Good. Leave the fisticuffs to me.

Jamolar? Is that what you call the big round ones?

A G-Moler is a Deimos built for excavation. It uses the spinning blades on its back to dig into the ground. They need to bore a path to the terminal. It’s the core of their strategy, and we need to stop them.
A slowpoke like that? All I need is one strike to take that one out.
They can withstand intensely high pressures and break through any rock. If you underestimate it, you’re the one who’s going to get taken out.

Yes… That’s the point closest from the surface to the terminal. But your Sentinel’s a 1st-gen, which means more mobility. That’ll come in handy here. Can you take out some kaiju on your way there?
I don’t have much choice. We’re going in.

This is important. The only way to restore EP besides defending is to defeat an enemy, which will cause the person who defeated it to regain a sum of EP based on the enemy type. The stronger the kaiju, the more EP you get back for killing it.

And before you ask, yes, this does encourage you to kill the strong ones in as few attacks as possible instead of wearing them down more slowly!

Despite that conversation, Hijiyama is fighting alone. What, Okino’s not cool enough for a Sentinel? Or too cool? Whichever?

Hijiyama’s in a 1st-generation Sentinel, which means he’s all about melee attacks. If it’s not directly in front of him, he largely can’t do poo poo about it. Thankfully, 1st-gen models have high mobility and speed, and a few of their actions let them move while attacking. One such skill is Leap Attack, which is exactly what you think it is.

Tackle is similar but slightly more powerful and much more hilarious—it lets him charge along a path set by the player, damaging and knocking away anything in said path. And the knockback means it can hit multiple times if you’re lucky! Normally, you can't move through a path obstructed by a kaiju, but Tackle thankfully ignores that.

Niiiiiiice. Let’s just take out the small swarm near the terminal now and finish them off.

A couple Rush Attacks (4 hits, 800 power each, 0 EP) from there should clean up any stragglers.

You’re that guy from before! What are you scheming? I won’t allow it!
Wait, Hijiyama-kun… Let him handle this.
Are you sure? He’s about to do something to the saucer.
It’s all part of the plan. Besides, there’s something I want us to try.
…Fine. I trust you.

Awww :3:

The terminal has a few defense mechanisms in place. Now that we’ve got access to them, you should be able to command them yourself. Let the terminal attack the kaiju directly.
We can make the saucer itself attack them?

It’s kind of hard to tell anything’s happening in this shot, but the numbers are a good sign. We like the numbers.

The terminal forced a shutdown of designated targets within range.
That was amazing… Let’s fire off some more of those!
Don’t know if we can do that, but… we have a couple other tricks up our sleeve. Let me take a look.

Now, we just clean up the two remaining G-Molers and the mission will end.

All of a sudden, the terminal is surrounded by kaiju!

But another wave quickly shuts them down.

All the hostiles in range destroyed themselves. Like magic.
If we had that kind of weaponry, you should have told me! Why bother with the Sentinels when we have this?

Because giant robots are loving cool, idiot!

It takes time to activate. And if we get taken out before it’s ready, then it’s all over.
It means… the terminal would be fully locked down. Nobody could ever open it again.
Is that… a bad thing?
This is Renya Gouto. You are one of the compatible pilots from Sector 5. Who are you communicating with?
I’d really rather not deal with this. Don’t tell him, Hijiyama-kun.

What, are they exes?

…No one. I’m fighting solo.

Gouto has no further questions about this!

…Sentinels are being activated in another location. No. 17 and No. 19… Just how many Sentinels are online now…?

Takatoshi Hijiyama is voiced by Kaiji Tang, who’s been getting a lot of work recently. You may be familiar with him as Ichiban Kasuga in Yakuza: Like a Dragon, or as Iwai in Persona 5. I like his voice a lot.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 13, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
To people who've eaten it-is yakisoba pan actually as good as Takatoshi makes it sound? I mean, just from the description, a spaghetti sandwich (yes I know it's not actually that but that's what it sounds like) doesn't sound like the most amazing thing in the world...

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Junpei posted:

To people who've eaten it-is yakisoba pan actually as good as Takatoshi makes it sound? I mean, just from the description, a spaghetti sandwich (yes I know it's not actually that but that's what it sounds like) doesn't sound like the most amazing thing in the world...

Japan has a bizarrely huge selection of delicious bread options, of which yakisoba pan is just one. It's pretty great, was one of my go-to break snacks between lectures.

Anyway Hijiyama is great, and I'm a big fan of the localization decision to have him slip into 50s vernacular occasionally. It reinforces the fact he's out of his natural time and makes him seem more adorably buffoonish than outright dangerous, which was entirely possibly considering he's literally an enlisted soldier pulled out of Imperial Japan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yakisoba pan!

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Consider: Buying a PS4.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I have a few questions, but I think this will happen every update, so I won't bother.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Having questions is the main gameplay mechanic.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

According to design notes, the original plan was to have Hijiyama be a fan of yakisoba, but the way they designed conversations and the engine meant that it needed to be something he could carry and eat in one hand.
Therefore, yakisoba pan.

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012

Junpei posted:

I love yakisoba and by extension yakisoba pan, it's one of the first things I had in Japan and it's flavor is kind of hard to describe. It includes Worcestershire sauce, so it tastes quite a bit like that.

It's probably obvious but the instant noodles Maruchan calls "yakisoba" is nowhere remotely close to the genuine article. If you have an Asian market nearby though there are instant versions that are very good. I quite like the Myojo Ippeichan ones, and even if you don't have an Asian market you can even get those on Amazon though they're kind of expensive.

Shingouryu fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 24, 2020

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

drat Isoleucine is a banger :rock:

And now I want to try a Yakisoba Pan

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah I love the entirety of the Destruction soundtrack. What can I say I'm a sucker for anyone who manages to combine bouncy synths, pounding techno, soaring strings, blaring horns, dubstep wubs, trashy drumkits, haunting vocalisation, and rock guitars into one production. Off the top of my head there's only one track in this OST that manages to feature all of those at the same time, but most of them have most of these.

I also love that all of these tracks are crammed into an OST otherwise full of visual novel stuff where they stand out all the more, not just for the completely different style but because each one is an amino acid wrapped up in -()-, just so you can more easily spot them while browsing.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 25, 2020

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Like all Vanillaware games, this one features some lovingly detailed food and will make you very hungry.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 25, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Merry Christmas, everyone. My present to you is one more update!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This one is gonna be fun.

Chapter 4: Natsuno Minami 1

Music: Good Times (Azusa Chiba)

Nat-chan!

This scene in the hallway is like other scenes, except people are naturally strolling back and forth and it makes grabbing screenshots a massive pain because they can walk in front of the characters, down in front rear end in a top hat!

(blushing) N-Nothing, really. Just talking about what our dreams were last night.

So, Natsuno is a very fun, energetic character with a lot of interesting emotions and poses. It made the process of getting screenshots for this update even more annoying because every time her animations changed part of me wanted to capture it.

Not especially. Just wondering about stuff. Like if dreams are influenced by the movies we see.

You guys must be having more interesting dreams than I am if they’re worth having so much conversation about. The other night I dreamed about The Little Mermaid? A movie I haven’t seen since I was a child? But I think Flounder was like, a gambler for some reason? And then he got eaten by a bigger fish? You see my point, though—it’s not interesting at all! I’m boring myself just talking about it!

I was just about to bring it to you.

Thanks a bunch. I was super bummed, you know.

That baseball game was going on for freakin’ *ever.*

Even in the age of DVRs, I know all too well the pain of having a show I want to watch preempted by loving baseball.

Consider UFO Mysteries

(A special series airing on TV… All about the latest UFO discoveries! I’m so glad I got a recording of it.)

Oh, I see. She’s one of those.

It’s a classic.

You can’t talk about aliens without seeing that movie.
I don’t really intend on talking about aliens anyway…

Rude!

Thanks for recording this!
No problem.

Consider E.X.T.

(An alien stranded on Earth establishes a bond with a young boy in this sci-fi movie. It’s a real 1982 classic.)

Ah, we’re doing the ol’ serial-numbers-filed-off on these movie titles, huh? I can dig it.

Ha, Iori looks so bored by this alien crap.

Use UFO Mysteries on Iori Fuyusaka

Yeah, they look like octopuses and want to destroy us all, right?
No, no, no! You’ve got it all wrong. That’s from a book. You’re thinking of “The War of the Worlds.”

There’s no stopping you once you get going on this stuff.

And I’m gonna find a real alien!
You’re gonna have to get better grades in science, then.
Oh man, you’re right…

Consider “The War of the Worlds”

(A classic sci-fi novel, by that one famous writer.)

You know the one. The famous one. The one we can’t name. Yeah, him.

(It features Martians that look like octopuses. They have three-legged weapons called Tripods… And use them to invade the Earth.)

Take your time.
See ya guys!
Bye.

Oh, that’s right.
Everyone’s already there.
I just gotta get my stuff.

Gonna pop in my headphones, turn off all the lights…

It’s neat that you can see Iori briefly pop back out of the classroom here just to keep it consistent. A lot of love and care went into this game.

You still haven’t gotten your new uniform yet?

Yeah, who the hell knows.

Something good on that videotape?
Oh, this?

You’re gonna laugh at me!

Despite this, we cannot proceed until we…

Use UFO Mysteries on Yuki Takamiya

Haha. That explains it.

Of course not. It makes me happy, actually. To know you’re still my Nat-chan.
Hehe. But maybe don’t call me Dr. Space anymore. We’ve outgrown our kid nicknames, don’t you think?
Whatever you say.

So that Kuri gang you beat up. They’re hanging around our school now. What’re you gonna do about it?
Ha! What are you, my mom?

I can take care of my own poo poo. So beat it, pinhead.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Aww, do we have to?

You don’t need to start a fight in the middle of the hallway.
I didn’t start anything! She’s the one walking around here like she owns the place.
Come on, you too, Yuki-chan.
……

……

Haha. Don’t worry. That stuff happens all the time to me. Oh, by the way. Can I come watch you practice again today?

So Natsuno’s some kind of athlete?

Better get back to class.
See ya soon!

Hehe.
Get a better time today?

Well, it was kinda windy today. Running against it and all… You know how it is.

Excuses, excuses.

Hahaha.

Me and the manager have to go and talk to the teacher. There’s things to discuss about the next meet. Sorry, but could you handle the clean-up today?

And so we get roped into cleaning up.

Am I the only one still here?

Music: Bad Omen (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Another suspicious-looking man… I saw a couple of them in the schoolyard, too. I wonder what they’re doing here. Seems like they’re looking for something.

Wait a minute…

Consider Man in Black Suit

(An organization that monitors alien activity… Maybe…)

Being pursued by relentless men in black… Its only hope is to be rescued by one chosen Earthling…

Yeah, all right. Don’t get ahead of yourself, Dr. Space.

Haven’t seen that uniform before… Wonder what school he goes to?

*sigh*

Don’t want Senpai to get mad.

Music: Halcyon Days (Yoshimi Kudo)

Finally done.

Consider Man in Black Suit

Occasionally, a keyword will “update,” like this one.

(Secret agents, rumored to deal in the extraordinary… And silencing those who witness UFOs. They call them men in black. No one really knows much else.)

Maybe I’ll just go home in my gym clothes.

I *am* pretty sweaty…

Out of nowhere, the basket in the corner shakes…

Music: Sneaking Suspicions (Kikuchi Yukinori)

…… Wait, what if…

There a pervert in here?

There is now! Eyyyyyyy!

What’re you doing barging into the girls’ locker room!?
I heard you scream! Was just comin’ to help. Plus, all those creeps in black suits… I’ve been seeing ‘em everywhere.

Get outta here already!

Before we continue, I chose this opportunity in my game to demonstrate the brilliant “walk-and-think” "mechanic,” where you can ponder your Thought Cloud while moving around. It’s barely anything, but I find it deeply hilarious. :thunk:

Now back to our scheduled Let’s Play.

This is wild…!

This is just like the movies!

Use E.X.T. on Unidentified Object

Sure, why not? This should be pretty stupid.

You, uh… you sure about that?

Are you an alien from space!? Oh… my god…

Girl, you dumb.

Oh, did I scare you?

Music: Good Times (Azusa Chiba)

It’s okay. I’m your friend. Hm. Can you understand me?

Okay, stay calm…

My dream is finally coming true!

B… J… Eleven…
BJ? Is that your name?

Yes, I’m sure the hi-larious blowjob jokes you’re all furiously typing right now will end war and bring about a new golden age for mankind, but let’s think ourselves above that one, just this once? I’m not saying it’s not funny, because it’s actually extremely loving funny, but I’ve played this segment before, I’ve seen people play this segment before, rest assured, it’s been done.

Innerlocitor code matched.
Hm?
…Natsuno.
Yeah! That’s me!

Consider BJ

I do this all the ti—No! Stop! Bad!

(His name is BJ. His mission was to protect Earth from other evil aliens.)

Um, what? Getting ahead of yourself a bit there, aren’t you, Natsuno? Don’t tell me this is just your fantasies acting up again.

But is that a space suit you’re wearing? Like, is your brain inside of a jar or something?

Girl, you dumb. This is clearly some manner of robit.

Oh! I think I get it.

Is that why you’re hiding in here?

Those black suits all over campus… It’s just like that one movie! They must be here to capture this alien. The thing they were looking for… This explains it.

I must protect him.

Need… memory cell.
That’s amazing, BJ! Where’d you learn how to speak my language?

You’re treating this “alien” like a particularly smart dog.

Go to… gate.
Gate? I’m not sure I understand what you’re talking about.

You need to call your home planet, right? And then a UFO is going to come and rescue you. Don’t worry. I’m going to help you!

This technology is crazy!

I know exactly where that is. It’s a shrine near school.

You can’t just go walking out like that. The black suits would spot you in a second.

Consider BJ’s Destination

(The location BJ pointed out on the map. It’s a shrine nearby the school.)

Yeah, this’ll do the trick!

Consider P.E. Bag

(It can fit more than it looks! …… Maybe he can fit in here too…)

Use P.E. Bag on BJ

I’ll get you to where you need to go. Just hang tight, okay?

How heavy must that bag be right now?

I mean, who would’ve thought somewhere like this… Was really a hub of extraterrestrial alien activity!

A bit redundant there, but I appreciate your enthusiasm.

All right.

BJ just jumps right out of that gym bag.

Music: The Sector Theorem (Kazuki Higashihara)

What *is* all this?

Are these holograms?
Access code approved.

Except in the freakin’ movies!
Designating sector…

This is awesome, BJ!

Music: Power Of Destruction (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Don’t leave me behind…

Geez, this is getting pretty crazy even by dream standards. One second we’re at the shrine… Then we’re surrounded by this weird light…

It looks like there was a war…

Communications with major cities around the world have not yet been restored. It is likely that these cities have also come under attack by the same unknown entity that has besieged Japan. Domestically, multiple locales are reporting serious damages. Currently, the unknown enemy has made landfall, swarming a large area across the bay. They are now thought to be headed in the direction of Kasumi-cho, in Sakura Ward.

Wait, no… That’s near our school! Is this… Are we in my town?

It’s quite difficult to comprehend… I see five, six, seven… No, there’s more every time I look. What are they?

Could this really be the end of humanity?

They’re nearly upon us. To all of you watching… Good luck.

We’re in the future? 80 years to be exact… This can’t be real… can it?

Music: IMMINENT (Yoshimi Kudo)

I know what they are.

They’re just like the Tripods. Weapons used by aliens to invade Earth. And now they’re destroying my home. Is this really happening? Was Earth really attacked by aliens? Do they want to destroy humanity…?

Why did we come here?
Search… memory cell.
Yeah, I know, but what IS that?

Sentinel… Sentinel No. 17.

Nah, you’re fine.

We end that chapter…

…and get thrust into yet another battle.

Music: (LYSINE) (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

See? I bet it’s already not even weird anymore that the children are naked. Goddammit.

Doing just fine, Natsuno-san. You’re a natural.
This was his last gift to me. I gotta do this right, so I don’t let him down.

Ominous.

Don’t we have a bunch of bad guys everywhere already? Should we really be deployed all the way out here?
Our Sentinels were designed chiefly for long-range attacks. I was taught that my primary tactic should be long-distance annihilation. Never give them a chance to close in.
So if they *do* get too close, that’s bad news?
Well, we’ve got electromagnetic battering rams for both arms in case of close-quarters combat. But we can’t let them surround us. I don’t know if we could fight our way out of that.
…Okay. Got it.

Stay calm, Natsuno-san. Get a clear look at the opposing forces. The enemy may have more numbers than us… but we can hit them all in one fell swoop.
Miura-kun, I’m… I’m kinda shook up here…
We’ll be okay… We can use the electromagnetic rounds. Shake *them* up instead.

…!

So, we have two 3rd-generation Sentinels on the field. These, as Miura said, are designed primarily for long-range encounters. They’re also probably the weakest Sentinels overall, but I’m getting a bit ahead of myself there. They’ll do just fine for our purposes here.

We have to use Miura’s railgun here, which shoots a giant fuckoff laser beam. One thing I never mentioned is that multi-hit attacks can only damage one enemy per hit. The “Main Battery Heavy Railgun” only technically hits once and therefore does not have this problem. It’s also got kind of obscene range, able to hit the vast majority of the battlefield from where Miura is positioned. For now, let’s just shoot the obvious shot.

That electromagnetic round has the power of a salvo from 46 cm battleship-mounted cannons. But a weapon that powerful comes with high energy costs, and high risks to match. If you don’t use it carefully, you might end up out of power at the worst possible moment.
Uh, roger that…!

Now, we just use Natsuno and Miura to mop up these enemies. There’s some slight differences between the movesets of their Sentinels, but we’ll get to that later.

For a first-time pilot, those were some impressive moves out there.
Couldn’t have done it without you, Miura-kun.

What? There’s more? How many of these guys are there?

Let me check the Sentinel’s data. Maybe we have a dossier in here somewhere.

It’s coming, Miura-kun… do we attack?
Wait, I think we have new enemies inbound… Actually, isn’t that…?
Sentinels No. 13 and 15… Are they friendly?

What? Juro-kun!? You’re in a Sentinel, too?
It IS you, Nat-chan! We’re here to help!
No way! You too, Iori!? What’s going on…?
Thank you, Juro-kun. I couldn’t have asked for better support.
We have to defend the terminal until the systems activate…
Nat-chan, let’s do this together!

For the rest of this battle we now have Iori and Juro to help us, neat.

Now, Iori and Juro are actually both in 2nd-gen models if you’ll recall, but only Iori has any support armaments equipped at the moment. We’ll plop down a sentry or two. They should help clean up the stragglers, even if they don’t have quite the range of a standard railgun.

Just how useful do you think sentries are going to be in this game? Go on, answer. Wrong. You underestimated. I’m getting ahead of myself again, though. All in good time.

This may say missiles can be evaded, but 80% of the time they’re going to target the terminal directly, so you’re generally going to want to intercept them.

Here’s a good shot of two sentries firing off at once to finish the last enemy in the stage.

I can’t see any more kaiju around… Is that it? Did we beat them?
…Looks like it…
No, this is still just the beginning. If they can’t use this terminal, they’ll just move on to the next one.
…If that’s true… The more targets they lose, the more desperate our enemies will get… and the harder they’ll fight.
Yeah… These battles are only going to get tougher.
Seriously…?

Natsuno Minami is… look, she’s great. I love her. She’s voiced by Erica Mendez, known for roles like Gon from Hunter x Hunter, Emma in The Promised Neverland, and Ryuko from Kill la Kill. That last one is especially relevant on the subject of works that are horny for the anime teens. Anyway, she’s pretty prolific, I could go all day listing roles of hers. Like, I didn’t even mention that she’s Bernie from Fire Emblem!

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 14, 2022

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Natsuno Minami is… look, she’s great. I love her. She’s voiced by Erica Mendez, known for roles like Gon from Hunter x Hunter, Emma in The Promised Neverland, and Ryuko from Kill la Kill. That last one is especially relevant on the subject of works that are horny for the anime teens. Anyway, she’s pretty prolific, I could go all day listing roles of hers. Like, I didn’t even mention that she’s Bernie from Fire Emblem!

I didn't think about it at first but her va performance does feel a lot like an energetic Bernie. And I would argue that even from the start I was aware of sentry guns being useful as if was ever unsure what to do with a sentinel that had them I would just chuck the guns onto the field.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Natsuno is 1. very sweet, 2. very cute, and 3. very dumb. I like her- she's not my favorite character in this game-Takatoshi probably takes that spot, as are a few we haven't met, or have only seen little brief bits of, but she is very good.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

BJ is clearly the best character in this game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Natsuno is not the first character whose story is basically a pre-existing thing with the serial numbers filed off.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arist posted:

The other night I dreamed about The Little Mermaid? A movie I haven’t seen since I was a child? But I think Flounder was like, a gambler for some reason? And then he got eaten by a bigger fish?

ah, the Don Bluth version

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Arist posted:

(A classic sci-fi novel, by that one famous writer.)

You know the one. The famous one. The one we can’t name. Yeah, him.

Curiously they straight up say it's H G Wells in the Japanese version, not sure why the coyness here considering they already correctly named the title (it still has E.X.T., though)

Bonus trivia -

Arist posted:

You’re gonna have to get better grades in science, then.

is originally "You're gonna have to get better grades in English"

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Polsy posted:

Curiously they straight up say it's H G Wells in the Japanese version, not sure why the coyness here considering they already correctly named the title (it still has E.X.T., though)

Two things I know for certain about copyright are that it is incredibly stupid and incredibly labyrinthine to the point of enormously varying between regions in respect of the same work; I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn there was no issue namedropping Wells in Japan but an Atlus USA lawyer raised an eyebrow or three, even if referencing and quoting War of the Worlds by name was fine.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Lysine is one of my fave songs on the soundtrack, and y'all should absolutely listen to it.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fedule posted:

Two things I know for certain about copyright are that it is incredibly stupid and incredibly labyrinthine to the point of enormously varying between regions in respect of the same work; I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn there was no issue namedropping Wells in Japan but an Atlus USA lawyer raised an eyebrow or three, even if referencing and quoting War of the Worlds by name was fine.

I think this is just kind of an Atlus USA thing, the SMT games' translations also take similar pains to avoid any potential litigation. I'm guessing they've had multiple painful legal discussions about how, say, "Hell Rider" DEFINITELY isn't related to any existing properties.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I remember a scene in Zero Time Dilemma where the characters were very painfully talking around Back to the Future.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I...think War of the Worlds itself, author and all, is in the public domain in the US? Even after the Mickey Mouse Protection Act, it's been more than 95 years.

I'm no copyright lawyer, but this feels unnecessary, unless British copyright law is more restrictive, maybe?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If I'm not mistaken, the works of Wells only entered into public domain in the last few years. 13 Sentinels, if I'm correct, had been in development for a bit by then. Maybe a timing/not bothering to update the script or just flat out being cautious thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And just because something is in public domain doesn't mean you're completely in the clear. Look at poor Dai Gyakuten Saiban.

And yeah, 13 Sentinels was in development for so long, it was announced for the Vita.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
And if even if you'd definitely win if you actually went to court, you still don't really want to deal with the hassle of a lawsuit. Better not to give anyone any pretext to sue you in the first place.

I think Sun Tzu said that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's the entire idea behind the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure name changes.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I'll go ahead and admit that I have trouble with names sometimes, especially Japanese ones. So when the kids get into the robots, it gets particularly confusing as to who's who... because I can no longer cleanly go off of appearances. I am going to be so deeply lost by the end of this.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 26, 2020

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Yapping Eevee posted:

I'll go ahead and admit that I have trouble with names sometimes, especially Japanese ones. So when the kids get into the robots, it gets particularly confusing as to who's who... because I can no longer cleanly go off of appearances. I am going to be so deeply lost by the end of this.

Oh god I was the same, it took me most of the game to get some of these kids' names straight. This game would've maybe benefited from a subtitle speaker line among its plentiful options.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Polsy posted:

Bonus trivia -

is originally "You're gonna have to get better grades in English"

Is the line about NASA about some other organization?

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Yapping Eevee posted:

They lose their close when they get in the robots but whatever is on their head stays. At least for the girls I kept track by their hairclips. Most of the guys have different hairstyles too, which helps. Most of them, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

AweStriker posted:

Is the line about NASA about some other organization?

It's still NASA, which I guess fits with ET/whatever other English-language space sci-fi she's into.