Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The plot seems confusing as hell already, can't wait to see where this roller coaster goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
You naïve fool.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Thank you for doing this! I don't have a PS4 but I've been hearing so much about this game, so I'm looking forward to seeing more. My guess is that, like the anime/manga Bokurano, it's gonna gently caress with the giant robot genre pretty hard.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Thank you for doing this! I don't have a PS4 but I've been hearing so much about this game, so I'm looking forward to seeing more. My guess is that, like the anime/manga Bokurano, it's gonna gently caress with the giant robot genre pretty hard.

If this is anything like Bokurano, I'd better sign off. Wonderful series, but once is enough.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 5: Megumi Yakushiji 1

Music: Taking It Easy (Kazuki Higashihara)

It is *so* gross today. Muddy as heck. My shoes are soaked.
……

It’s nothing…
Thinking about how no one talks to you again? Is that what’s got you down? It’s just cause you’re so quiet, Megumi. People take that as you thinking you’re better than them. Or that you’re cold and distant. Not sure which is worse.

Ouch. Maybe, uh… stop trying to cheer her up? Lotta friendly fire going out here, just saying.

They just need to get to know the real Megumi. The one who’s a hopeless romantic… And a cool, laid back girl, just like everyone else. Maybe then they’d have an easier time talking to you.

It could really help you come out of your shell.
I think I’ll pass.
*giggle*

You watched my Inaba Rabbit video?
Mhm. I never knew you were so talented.
Hehehe… Well, you’re in luck. I’m posting a new one when I get home!

Did you see that? There was a light… I saw it in the water.

Music: The Sector Theorem (Kazuki Higashihara)

…Fall from the sky?

Ah, geez…

And my umbrella got blown away. What a drag…

We could have totally died just now. What even is that thing?

No, that’s not it… But what then?

I gotta document this. Oh no, where’d my phone go?

And it’s moving?
This seems dangerous… What if it, like, blows up?
We gotta report this to the police.
R-Right…

Suddenly, the machine shifts in place, and the light goes out…

Are you all right?
…… Where… am I?

Music: IMMINENT (Yoshimi Kudo)

No… When am I…?

This game is relishing its one free use of that cliché.

When…? Well, today is October—
No, the year… What year is it right now?

2024… I must have been forcefully shifted here. The frontline’s been broken. It’s over. It’s all over…

Should I call an ambulance?
Who are you?
Oh, um, I’m just from the school nearby…
No… Then that means… This place is next…

…And I’ve come from the future.

They’re coming…

Dire tidings indeed…

Now that that scene is over, we resume—huh?

gently caress OFF

Ooh, it looks so fluffy…

This cat does not want pets? This will not do! We must give chase!

Unfortunately, the cat decides to escape into the school building, and we cannot follow because that’s not where the plot is.

You look a little lost.

In 1985, the west building doesn’t even exist yet…

Music: Impending Doom (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

One last time?
They’re coming. And No. 13 is the only one that can still fight. I have to go.
N-No, you can’t. I won’t let you! Taking back that robot, trying to fight by yourself… It’s not a good plan, Juro. You couldn’t defeat them even *with* all your friends.
It’s true, I don’t know if I’ll be able to protect you all… But I can’t do nothing.

Megumi. I really am grateful to you.
So this is goodbye?
I hope that it’s not, but…

…… Juro Izumi. They’re here, just like you said they would be. And now monsters are flooding the port in droves.
Right. Megumi, Tomi… I’ve told a woman named Morimura about you. When the time comes… You must listen to what she says.

Ms. Morimura… How is Juro doing?
…… You must forget about Juro Izumi. The Juro you knew no longer exists. There was nothing else we could do.
*sharp intake of breath*
From now on, you cannot go near him.
But—
It’s for his own good.

Megumi is displeased and Morimura has nothing more to say. We make to leave.

Music: Self Sacrifice (Yoshimi Kudo)

It is…?
How about we head back to the nurse’s office now? It’s important to take your medicine, you know.

You have to stay away. He’s Juro Kurabe now. Not Juro Izumi.
I don’t understand…
He is not the same person. Giving him a new identity was the only way to save him.
That can’t be possible…
It was the only way. I’m sure he would agree. It had to be done. So for now, you need to stay away. At this point, he is still very unstable. Trust me. You’re doing this for him.

Music: A Clause With Claws (Rikako Watanabe)

A+ on that track name.

All right, settle down. No need to make a scene. People are gonna start to think you’re crazy.
Did that cat just… talk to me?

Use Talking Cat on Fluffy

That’s stupid. Cats can’t talk. You might want to try thinking before you speak.

How do you know my name?

You’re the one who called me, after all.
I… did?
Yes. And now I’m here to grant you your wish. Your wish to save Juro Izumi!

Looks like I hit a nerve. So yeah, I can do it. I can get his memories back.

It does sound too good to be true, doesn’t it? Well, I don’t go around granting wishes for free. In exchange… I need you to do something for me. After you agree to a binding contract, that is.

Come on, it’ll be easy. No experience necessary. And you’ll save Juro. Seems like your best option.

Use The Contract on Fluffy

Assuming this isn’t a dream… Or a hallucination… *Or* some kind of cruel joke… What exactly would I need to do for you?
I come from another world. One that was destroyed. Destroyed by a relic of an ancient civilization.

……
It spreads like a nasty curse… And has begun to infect this world too. I must find all the codes and set things right again. That is my mission. And the no-big-deal job that you get to do!

You’re not serious, are you? In case you haven’t noticed, I am a cat. You really wanna leave the fate of the world to a cat? I don’t even have thumbs. If I screw up, you’re dead too. You’re only damning yourself if you refuse.

Are you going to turn me into a magical girl or something? Well, I am curious to see what this is all really about. And more importantly, who’s behind it. I can come play with you for a bit after school, okay? Just cause you’re so cute.
Sure, make fun. Just the fate of the world that’s at stake.

*frustrated sigh* All right. I’ll give you some time to think about it. I suppose it’s a good thing you’re skeptical. Instead of some idiot who believes everything she hears.

You will accept my contract.

And there *is* a way to bring back Juro…

Before we move on to the next battle stage, let’s see what happens if we choose to decline Fluffy’s contract.

I’m sorry, but this all just seems so impossible.

And the scene proceeds the same from there. I think the “Decline” version flows a little better because Megumi actually says the word “impossible,” but the line “Are you going to turn me into a magical girl or something?” meant I just had to use the “Accept” version.

All right, let’s get back to it.

Music: (PHENYLALANINE) (Mitsuhiro Kaneda) (Listen to this)

drat! Megumi’s in a tight spot!

It’s like that thing has a wall protecting it… How am I supposed to damage it?

Tomi… Why are you…?
What are you so surprised about? This is my Sentinel, isn’t it? Seriously, Megumi. I wish you’d just told me.
I have to apologize… If it weren’t for me, you wouldn’t be—
Look, there’s only one thing I want an apology for. I got that switch ‘cause you shot me, right?

What!?

‘Cause like… did you *have* to put it on my back? I’m gonna give myself a cramp swiping that thing. But you gotta fall back, Megumi. Your Sentinel’s at its limit. I’ll handle this.
No, Tomi… We’ll fight together.
Come on, dork. What’s the point of fighting together if it gets you killed? You gonna be dumb, or you gonna listen to your best friend?
…Yeah, you’re right…

Megumi takes her Sentinel to a remote area and sends it away for repairs.

Over on another corner of the map, Nenji Ogata arrives.

You charged out first all thumping your chest, and it took you this long to get here?
The train stopped. I got kinda lost in the crowd. But I got this now, Kisaragi. You can hang back where it’s safer, okay?
I just got here, you moron. I’m not going anywhere.
Fine, whatever. Just tell me which of these bozos I gotta trash.

Tomi’s Sentinel won’t be much good against it. But your 1st-generation Sentinel’s perfect for close combat.

As Megumi sent her Sentinel for repairs, she is currently without one and is forced to navigate the terrain on foot if she needs to move. We’ll keep her here for now.

Megumi was right about Tomi’s Sentinel not having the firepower to take down this Hi-Quad. Despite being a 3rd-generation model, she lacks even the railguns Natsuno and Miura had in the last stage. She’s still best at long-range like them and has some options for swarms of small enemies, but unfortunately she’s missing the tools to defeat something big like this.

That’s where Nenji comes in. He’s in a 1st-generation model like Hijiyama’s, but where Hijiyama has Tackle, Nenji gets DEMOLISHER BLADE, which hits a crazy 36 times with 80 power each. It also pierces armor, which is good because those Hi-Quads are armored and attacks like Tomi’s rapid cannons will bounce right off. Demolisher Blade is Nenji’s bread and butter.

Because it’s a melee attack, we can move into position as part of the action, and we’re even hitting its back for an extra 50% damage. Let’s do this.

There’s gonna be 37 hits: Me hitting you 36 times, and you hitting the floor.

So yeah, Demolisher Blade is pretty okay.

Fine by me. I was just thinkin’ I was running out of asses to kick.

Ahahaha, this idiot rules

My Sentinel’s fixed. I can get back on the field. Please, Tomi. Let me fight with you.

Sentinel No. 23: Transmitted

Two girls and their robots against the world. You know, we could record this and be set for life.

So, Megumi’s Sentinel is ready for battle again. If we ever need to repair our Sentinels, we just send them away for a time and they’ll come back with full HP. However, as we saw, this leaves the pilot defenseless against explosions, so it’s best that they do this far away from the enemy, especially because the death of any pilot is an automatic failure. The pilots are also generally going to be much slower to move than a Sentinel, so we need to be careful about that as well.

Now, you may have noticed the first time Megumi moved before she repaired that her Sentinel wasn’t following the blue lines marking the roads. This is because her Sentinel is a 4th-generation model, designated as flight support. Flight support, meaning they can fly. Yeah, sure, why not? 4th-generations aren’t quite as speedy as 1st-generations to my recollection, but not having to follow the roads means they can be just as mobile if not moreso on more complicated maps. They’re good for zipping around the arena and giving a hand where it’s needed, basically.

Tomi’s three equipped actions are some standard rapid cannons and long-range missiles, plus an EMP Stunner that we won’t go into yet because it’s not terribly useful right now against the current enemy lineup. Much like Tomi herself. Heyo!

Well, that’s not exactly fair, because Megumi doesn’t have much to go on right now either. Tomi at least can help clean up some of the swarms with her long-range missiles, but Megumi is not set up to do much at the moment. She can place a Shield Matrix to nullify attacks on allies near it, but that’s not that necessary this early in the game. Her Arm-Mounted Pulse Lasers are armor-piercing and do decent damage, but still aren’t going to do much against the Hi-Quads. She’s also got Flare Torpedo, which kind of seems… bad?

So, Flare Torpedo’s description claims: “Deploys a mine at target area. Upon detecting kaiju, it explodes, overheating them.” What it actually seems to do is put this big red circle on the ground that does piss for damage to any kaiju that are inside it for the ten seconds it stays active. Like, I’m looking at my footage and I’m seeing… 50-80 damage? Hitting like… once a second? That’s nothing. That’s baby poo poo. It might wipe up some small fries but even a G-Moler was having like, a tenth of its health taken by a hit from that, maybe. And they can just move out of it, too!

Thankfully, Nenji’s still here to take out anything big enough to care about.

After a frontal Demolisher Blade doesn’t do quite enough to take down one of the Hi-Quads, I decide to maneuver Nenji around to their backs to get that sweet, sweet bonus damage. From there, they go down in two actions.

Hey, he’s that 2nd-year…
Renya Gouto. He’s from the future… Further into the future than me.

I know a great little place near school.
…Yeah. Wouldn’t miss it for the world.

Megumi Yakushiji is voiced by Cristina Valenzuela (who until recently used the stage name Cristina Vee, in case you’re more familiar with her work under that name). She’s voiced Velvet in Tales of Berseria, Sakura from the Fate franchise, and Sailor Mars in Sailor Moon, speaking of magical girls.

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 27, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Half a year later 40 years ago

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
All I could think about when just before I ran into the scene with the cat was that I thought I was getting this game and the plot. Then I realized how wrong I was and tried my best to ready myself for whatever else was about to come.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Flare Torpedo does poo poo damage but anyone you hit with it becomes overheated, taking a decent if not overwhelming amount of damage over time and, uh, I think becoming slower to act or something? I forget what the statuses in this game actually do. For a while it's a pretty decent crowd controller because it's one attack that pretty efficiently dooms an entire crowd of small fries for relatively cheap, though it becomes outclassed at that purpose later.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

That cat is so fluffy! :3:

They also sound awfully familiar...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Hunt11 posted:

All I could think about when just before I ran into the scene with the cat was that I thought I was getting this game and the plot. Then I realized how wrong I was and tried my best to ready myself for whatever else was about to come.

13Sentinels.txt

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Flare torpedo also destroys any missiles that enter its ring

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
Saw this game was on sale via Gamestop (and still is for $30) and had to pick it up after reading a few updates.

Finished the tutorial and I am fully in for this wild ride. Can't wait to follow along with the thread too!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So I always knew that the Hi-Quads are a reference to tripods in War of the Worlds--- the game kinda pushes that into your face--- but I 100%ed this game and for some reason it didn't click to me that they actually rhyme until I started reading this thread

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Flare torpedo also destroys any missiles that enter its ring

This.

I'd fire some flares around the terminal at the start of the map and then gently caress off to go fight things. Any missiles kaiju fired at me would explode before hitting the terminal. Less emphasis on the TORPEDO, more emphasis on the FLARE.

Also, I never touched any of Megumi's plot after her prologue until near the end of the game. Every time she showed up in someone else's story she was really annoying and I just really couldn't stand her. Luckily, in her own story she's actually kind of hardcore????

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Honestly I've been hitting the story so much I practically forgot the fights existed for a while after the prologue.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm glad the game made the magical girl joke so I didn't have to.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:psyduck: ...What. Okay, I'm definitely not gonna be able to follow this plot if it's gonna play games like that.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I recall I dismissed Flare Torpedo until a decent chunk into the game, when I realized it was by far the most efficient missile deterrent.

Anyway, one of the most impressive components in this game's narrative is the way that, despite needing to hook in seamlessly into this ridiculously complex plotline, all of the character's stories still manage to feel thematically distinct. Thanks to their colorful personalities and the strength of the scenario writing, it's actually a lot easier to keep track of who's who and who's doing what than you might initially think.

Like naturally you're going to confuse them a lot at first because they throw a ton of characters immediately into your face, but the structure of the story is such that I found myself able to recognize them as distinct characters pretty much exactly as fast as the narrative requires.

Classy Hydra fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 2, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I hope people are going to speculate about the story a lot in this thread because that's the only way I'm going to have any hope of following it.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

Arist posted:

Now that that scene is over, we resume—huh?

gently caress OFF

Arist posted:

That’s stupid. Cats can’t talk. You might want to try thinking before you speak.

I can't stop laughing, this game is incredible already. :allears:

By the way, you have a repeated line in the combat section. Tomi's line "You charged out first..." appears first as text and then in an image. I think you meant to remove that image before posting?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
After the first few updates I bought this as a christmas present and just blasted through it.

It's a really wonderful game and now I'm super looking forward to seeing people's reactions.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
So the nurse is in on the time travel... and just recycled that kid into a new identity? I suppose that if a sentinel fails, the pilot is... reassigned? Or something? I doubt the game will go into it, but I’m curious about where these kids live when they’re not in school.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

I wasn’t too interested in this game when I first heard of it, but this lp has definitely piqued my interest. I can’t wait to see what references the other prologues parody

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 6: Shu Amiguchi 1

Music: Good Times (Azusa Chiba)

Looks like Yuki and Wajima are at odds…

Amiguchi passes the hubbub while riding his motorcycle. Guess Juro was right, he really is rich.

Amiguchi comes to a stop.

What’s going on there?

I’m done talkin’.

Got nothin’ to do with you. Get outta here.
Threatening a girl? Not a good look, man.

Really? Just another pack of posers. What, gotta call in your punk friends to take me on?
He ain’t with us.

Consider Takemi Wajima

(Otherwise known as Tak of Kuri High. One of the top dogs in the gang at Nigakuri Industrial School.)

You know Wajima’s bad news because he goes to something called “Nigakuri Industrial School.”

Sorry, but you know I’m always on the ladies’ side.
You think she’s gonna fall for that poo poo?

I’m with Wajima here, that was a really lame line.

That’s Takamiya from Suzu High.

No way!
I only trashed three of these clowns.
Now it’s payback time. Can’t let some chick get away with disrespectin’ us. We got a reputation.

Back off, loverboy.

Bad move.

Last time I’m gonna say it, Amiguchi. Walk away.

News flash, buddy. I can’t walk away from a cutie in trouble.

Music: Now Or Never (Kazuki Higashihara)

You gonna be okay after that?
What do you mean?
Wajima, man. You know that guy’s an amateur boxer, right?
My days are numbered, huh? Well, do I get a last wish, Takamiya-san? ‘Cause I gotta say, I’d love to know your first name.

Ahahahaha, holy poo poo, what a fuckin’ sleazeball this dude is

What? Sorry, you’re gonna have to speak up!
It’s Yuki! Yuki Takamiya!

Huh…
What’s up?
That’s where I’m transferring to.
You’re kidding! Well, hey, that means it’s gotta be destiny! You wanna go get a drink somewhere?
I’m good. You can just let me off. I got places to be.

Yeah, understandable, this guy is a lot.

Well, I’ll drive you!
I’ll take the train.
Really, it’s fine! Where am I headed?

The crosswalk in front of the Shikishima Building in Aoi.
I know it. Gogyo Street, right? Big commercial district? What, you got a part-time job?
Look, you wanna make this an interrogation, I’m gettin’ off.
Aww… Okay, you win. I’ll save the questions for later. Just hang on tight. We’re going full throttle.

Time for another scene with objects passing through the foreground obstructing my screenshots, but this time they’re cars!

But your driving sucks, man.

Oh. Cool. When do you start school?

(to self) Can’t wait.

Consider Yuki Takamiya

(A bombshell like that, sending those Kuri guys to the hospital?)

(I just might have fallen for her.)

We get back on the motorcycle…

But Amiguchi barely manages to cross the street before he notices something and stops.

Music: Sneaking Suspicions (Kikuchi Yukinori)

And this is the Shikishima Building. Shikishima Industries…

What’s our school nurse doing in there…?

Music: IMMINENT (Yoshimi Kudo)

Turned out to be pretty useless in close combat. Wish I’d had some arms. Maybe then we’d stand a chance. Yeah… A big, metal… weaponized… punching arm. Would’ve been great.

As long as they got to the shifter gate, they should be okay.
You realize how far we are from that gate. Too far for us to make it.
Don’t give up yet. Can you check that 98 over there? Pop the maintenance hatch. We’re not out of options yet.

Not fighting. Escaping.
…… Right! It was through shifting that we got the 98s into this era. So it could be linked to a shifter! It might just get us out of here.
I’ve already input the shift coordinates. You disengage the auto control and switch to manual.

Man, they are really relishing this opportunity to show Morimura’s rear end.

I’ll see if we can get it out of the downed 98.

Basically everything’s operational aside from the legs…

Music: Self Sacrifice (Yoshimi Kudo)

Things are getting bad out here!
They’ve taken the last mainframe. We’ve lost… but it’s not over yet. Listen. I’ve got just enough power to send you.

I guess there’s enough power to “shift,” but not enough to enact the protocol that strips you naked. Makes sense. (Before you yell at me, I think these just aren’t Sentinels and therefore don’t actually do that, I guess? Explains why he has to climb in instead of teleporting, anyway)

As soon as the system’s ready, you need to shift.
What are you saying!?
No time left. Can’t make it back.

Find me, and tell me everything.

I know you’ll find a way—

After a moment of hesitation, and as the shaking continues to intensify, “Ida” ducks into the mech.

…Okay, I’m officially lost on what any the gently caress of that meant. How about you guys?

Amiguchi wakes up in his room, the TV blaring J-pop.

...That’s definitely not how she usually looks… But I know that was Ms. Morimura.

A giant mecha, a ruined city, and a gorgeous teacher in a catsuit… Geez. Like a kid who’s been watching too much anime. ……

I still remember how the ground felt under my feet. That felt way too real.

Kinda late for a music show. Feel like I recognize those lyrics, too… Oh, she’s that new idol. Been getting big lately.

All right, TV’s off.

I finally found you…
Now it’s a drama?

I’ve been looking for you for so long. Please help me…

You’re the only one I can turn to, Shu-kun…

No. This is no TV show. Shu-kun…

Uhhhhhhhh…

Music: (THREONINE) (Rikako Watanabe)

I don’t take orders from you! I gotta find Nat-chan!
Wait, something’s coming up… It’s a Sentinel! No. 22?

No. 22, advancing.

Oh, it’s just Gouto.
We’re going to have the terminal defend itself. I’ll need your help.
Screw you, buddy. Do it yourself. If I don’t find Nat-chan, fast…

Wait, you got in? I thought I told you that thing was dangerous…
Just hold on. I’m on my way.
What? No! No, you stay back where it’s safe—We got buttloads of kaiju over here! Dammit… Gouto, we gotta do something. Now.

I see things in the air… Are those enemies too?

Great, we got flyers now?

They fly now? They fly now. …Ouch, ow, please stop pelting me with garbage from the stands, everyone!

They specialize in aerial mobility, much like our 4th-generation Sentinels. Melee attacks won’t reach them. We can’t rely on ground-based missiles either.
Kinda short on anti-air options here…

They can expand our mech’s functions and unlock new weapons.
How about you guys handle this tech stuff, and I just kick the poo poo out of ‘em.
Hoo boy, we all better watch out for her…

This fight’s kind of annoying because we only get three 4th-generation Sentinels, which definitely aren’t at peak utility this early in the game. They’re not terrible, it’s just gonna take a bit to down anything with a decent amount of health.

All three Sentinels are equipped with Multi-Lock Missiles, thankfully, which can do a lot to sweep up the small fries. I believe it works by firing 35 low-power missiles randomly targeted at enemies in the vicinity. Also worth noting: this is the rare non-melee attack that lets you move before you use it.

Enemies approaching from the south…

…And more from the north.

Some of those guys look pretty tough… Okay, there’s a lot of them, but as long as we stay cool and stick to the plan…
These clowns are gonna need more than numbers to take me down!

Well, okay then.

We’re going to send four-eyes here down south alone to deal with the group of flyers and Twintails. He’ll take a good bit of damage and won’t be able to cover everything coming, unfortunately, but that’s the price we pay with only three Sentinels here to cover this entire map.

Up north, we’ll send Yuki and Shu. Yuki has Leg Spike, the strongest attack anyone here has, dealing two 900 power hits and inflicting the overheat status like Flare Torpedo. The damage over time from overheat is still piddly, we want those hits. Unlike ground-based Sentinels, 4th-generation models can fly right through enemies. We use that here to hit this Hi-Quad with Leg Spike right in its squishy back. We have it down in two uses or so (though it doesn’t start with full health).

Meanwhile, Shu takes down the flyers and Gouto slooooooowly whittles down the Twintails while they fire missiles unabated at the terminal. It’s fine, it doesn’t go below 70%.

Aegis activation confirmed. This area’s terminal has been shut down.
Wow… Did you see that, Yuki-chan? That UFO must have some unbelievable power…

I’m sorry, what?

Calm down, Amiguchi. We still gotta meet up with Nat-chan.
Calm down, she says. Like she wasn’t the one raging out a second ago…

So one thing I didn’t cover in the battle section here is that whenever you select a character, they play one of a few canned voice lines. Some of them are fun, some are odd (Hijiyama in particular is really hard on himself for some reason), but there’s nothing else quite like one of Shu’s, which is: “Better put on a show for Yuki-chan.” He says it with a really weird emphasis on “Yuki-chan” too and it’s… ugh. What I’m trying to say here is that Shu skeeves me out. He’s played by Mick Wingert, who you probably haven’t heard before because his biggest roles are being Fake Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark in a few cartoons and anime and being Fake Jack Black in Kung Fu Panda cartoons/games and the Jumanji game I just found out exists.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 14, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Insertnamehere31 posted:

I can’t wait to see what references the other prologues parody

Poltergeist, for Shu!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

…Okay, I’m officially lost on what any the gently caress of that meant. How about you guys?

Could be a bit long but seems like perfect subtitle material for 13 sentinels.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1346449937740025856?s=19

Just so you know

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I love Amiguchi so much.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 7: Ei Sekigahara 1

Music: High Alert (Yoshimi Kudo)

The quiet on the rooftop is suddenly interrupted by a boy bursting through the door.

He’s got a loving piece!?

You must know who I am, don’t you? That’s why you’ve been following me.
Of course I do. You can’t escape us, Ei Sekigahara.
Sekigahara…

Tell me!
……
Guess you have a death wish.
Wait! It’s because… You came from another dimension.

Guh?????

Another dimension? Enough with the games. Tell me the truth.
…… Resistance is futile. Surrender now, or else.
If you won’t answer my questions… Then talking to *you* is what’s futile.

Holy poo poo!

Hmph. Another dimension… Could that really be true?

There’s no way I’d be able to tell.

Oh god, we’re doing this one, huh?

Consider Ei Sekigahara

(Ei Sekigahara… It’s no use. I can’t remember anything. But that’s what he called me. It has to mean something.)

After “Consider”-ing Ei Sekigahara, the keyword remains green. That simply means that there’s an additional thought we can get out of it. Many of Ei’s “Consider” or “Examine” prompts in his prologue have a second dialogue, for some reason. I’ll show them anyway.

Consider Ei Sekigahara

(Ei Sekigahara… That name doesn’t sound familiar. But it apparently belongs to me.)

Consider Phaser

Whoa, careful with that thing!

(This gun *does* feel a bit out of the ordinary… Could it really be from another dimension?)

Examine Phaser

(As long as it’s set to stun, it won’t kill anybody.)

Oh, boo.

(But it’s strange… why do I know how to use this?)

That’s… a good question!

I made sure to set it to stun, not kill.

Weeeeeeaaaak.

Maybe he has something on him that’ll give me a clue. Just a pair of handcuffs in his pocket… And…

*sigh* You won’t mind if I borrow these, will you?

Examine Black Wallet

(Might as well put it to good use. I haven’t eaten a thing in two days after all… But hang on. This is strange. The designs on these bills look completely different. There’s even a 500-yen bill. Aren’t those out of print? And these coins are from back in the Showa era…)

Wait, aren’t you supposed to have amnesia? You remember some specific poo poo.

Examine Black Wallet

(A fancy leather wallet. There are a few bills and coins inside. No credit cards, though.)

Examine Communication Device

(Its range looks to be only one or two kilometers. That means his little friends can’t be too far. If I mess with it now… They’ll know I’m nearby.)

Examine Communication Device

(An outdated transceiver for communication purposes. It has a very limited range.)

It might be safest to travel along the river. But before that, I should really get something to eat.

I woke up in that alley, my memories gone. Since then, I’ve been on the run non-stop.

…I can’t remember anything.

Consider No Memories

(Everything is a complete blank… Why am I here? I d on’t even remember my own name…)

The “No Memories” thought actually disappears once we Consider it.

Examine Strange Gun

(Why would I be carrying a weapon?)

Wait, that’s…

Music: Sneaking Suspicions (Kikuchi Yukinori)

…! She isn’t breathing…

What happened here?

Based on this evidence… The gun appears to be the most likely cause of death.

Consider Woman’s Body

(Is it possible this woman and I know each other? All I know is I woke up next to her with a gun in my hand. Was I… the one who killed her?)

Now, we need to look around the alley for clues.

Oh hey, pills here.

It’s highly likely these belong to me. All right. I should see if that woman has anything useful on her. It might serve as a clue to what happened here.

Examine Empty Pill Bottle

(The bottle’s made of plastic. There’s nothing inside.)

Now we return to the woman.

Are there any other clues around here?

Examine Cryptic Note

(The note says…)

(What could it mean? A password of some sort?)

…… I haven’t checked my own pockets yet. Let’s see…

Examine ID Card

(Sakura High School. Class 1-B. Iori Fuyusaka.)

…Right, from when he bumped into her in her prologue! So this must be after that!

(Fuyusaka… Her face does look familiar. But I can’t remember how I know her. It’s uncanny, though. Almost like she’s important to me. In one way or another…)

Examine ID Card

(It’s a student ID from Sakura High School. It appears to belong to a female student. Iori Fuyusaka. Class 1-B.)

Examine Key

(Maybe it’s a car key?)

Looking around further, we come across this envelope.

Could it have something to do with that woman?

Examine Envelope

(Some documents are inside.)

Examine Envelope

Chihiro Morimura. Occupation: Teacher.

Well, no more doubts about the identity of that corpse now.

“If capture is not possible, then shoot to kill.”

And all signs point to us having done the deed. Whoops.

Examine Morimura’s Files

(Chihiro Morimura, 31. Sakura High School nurse. A key member of Shikishima’s weapon development team.)

And that’s why Shu saw her at the Shikishima building last update! Everything’s falling into place! Pfft, I thought this game was supposed to be a mindfuck.

Examine Orders

(A note that was included with the files on Morimura. It says “If capture is not possible, then shoot to kill.”)

Use Morimura’s Files on Woman’s Body

That’s who this woman is. Well, was.

Music: High Alert (Yoshimi Kudo)

Someone’s coming. I won’t be able to talk my way out of this one.

But you’re so personable! Don’t sell yourself short, buddy!

I need to get out of here before they see me.

They’ve got me surrounded. I need to hide.

Ei quickly slips into a gap between two buildings.

Where’d that boy run off to?
He has a gun. We’d best proceed with caution.
We’re authorized to use deadly force if necessary.
Yes. We need to clean this up quickly.
If he gets away again, we’re in deep poo poo?
Let’s contact HQ and tell them we’re on it.
I’ll leave that to you. We’ll monitor public transits. He can’t have gone far.

Then that means… I must be their culprit. Why can’t I remember…

At least until I figure this all out for myself.

Music: LONER (Azusa Chiba)

What’ll happen to me?

Examine Orders

(A note that was included with the files on Morimura. It says, “If capture is not possible, then shoot to kill.” Did I kill her? Did someone order me to do it?

Examine Morimura’s Files

(Chihiro Morimura, 31. Sakura High School nurse. A key member of Shikishima’s weapon development team. The one I found dead…)

You stick out like a sore thumb in this part of town. Get yourself somewhere with lots of people.

…I’m sorry?

But they’re able to track your general location.
Wait, who are you?
I’m here to return the package I borrowed from you.
A package?

Do you know me?
I’m not here for small talk. Coming here at all was risky enough as it is. Just go get your package.

See ya.

Music: Lonely Struggle (Rikako Watanabe)

Wait, BJ!?

I can’t imagine how seeing this must make you feel. Forgive me for the theatrics. I didn’t have much choice. I’m sure you’ve noticed by now. My name is Ei Sekigahara. I’m you. If everything went according to plan… Then I’m talking to myself, but with no memories. We don’t have much time… So I’m only telling you what you need to know.

Ain’t that (in)convenient!

This is not your world. You’re a human from another dimension.

Your stay here was intended to be temporary. But… There was an accident. A very grave one… And now, many people are unable to return home. I—well, *you*—are stuck here as well.
……
But don’t give up yet. There’s still a way back. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you here.

Of course not! That would be too easy!

You understand now, don’t you? If they see this recording, they’ll know. So I’ve hidden the information you need elsewhere. Its location is known only to me. You must find it. And don’t get caught. If you do, there’ll be no escape. You have to trust me… I only hope you make the right choice.

…BJ turned into a helicopter. How quaint.

It *does* line up with what those men in black were saying. First things first. I need to get out of here. If what that girl said is true… Then I’m not safe here.

Eventually, we’ll learn what these “Mystery Files” and “Event Archives” actually are.

But not right now! We’ve got kaiju to fight!

Music: (METHIONINE) (Kikuchi Yukinori)

Miura moves up to join the other Sentinels.

Takatoshi-san… So it was you.
No matter the war, it’s an honor to fight at your side.

We haven’t even met this chick yet, wow.

It’s my Sentinel, isn’t it…?

You came, too, Sekigahara? And why are you in that Sentinel…
As long as it’s functional, does it matter?

Hehehe, he said “flimflam.”

Wait. Stay in position. If any one of us tries to do this alone, we lose any chance we have at victory.
Fine… So you call the shots. You’re the only one here with command experience.
…We will split into teams individually prioritizing attack and defense.

The rest of you will defend the terminal until Aegis activates.
Operation Aegis… We’re really doing this, huh?
…We’re short on firepower and time… We’ll need every trick, every weapon in our arsenal. Right?

This go-around introduces something new: defenders. Anyone not in the active assault team will be put on defense and will use their defense ability on any kaiju that gets into range. Each member of the team has one defense ability. I can’t really go more into detail about it just yet, but just know it’s there.

This stage also introduces another way to clear by running out the timer, which I one thousand percent guarantee you will never, ever do in normal play. The game simply isn’t hard enough for the timer to matter, and given that the game pauses while you select actions, with any modicum of skill you’re probably clearing most stages in a fourth of the two-minute timer.

So, once again we have Hijiyama and Ei (both gen 1), Shinonome and Kurabe (gen 2), Miura (gen 3) and Gouto (Gen 4). Miura is here using his long-range missiles to take down a swarm of small kaiju.

This stage is honestly rather simple, with the only real complication being a Hi-Quad near the top corner.

Ei has the standard Rush attack of 1st-generation Sentinels, plus Ogata’s Demolisher Blade and a new move, Anti-Air Defensive Flares. This places flares in the air that will deal damage to any flying kaiju or missiles that enter them. They’re marginally useful.

The only other cast member we haven’t used yet here is Shinonome, who has Juro’s Rocket Launchers and Heavy Knuckles for explodin’ and punchin’, but also Guardian, which places a construct down that enemies will target, distracting them.

Since Ei has Demolisher Blade, we’re sending him up north to deal with that Hi-Quad.

And Hijiyama too, for good measure.

You’ll note that following that Rush Attack from Hijiyama, the Hi-Quad is now closer to the barrier at the edge of the map. I say “closer,” but really it’s only half-inside the field. This is… something of an odd quirk of the battle system. Your Sentinels can’t leave the battlefield… but the enemy technically can, if they’re pushed. And many moves, like Rush Attack, have some knockback. Now, you can still shoot the enemy when they leave the arena, but that would really suck because 1st-gen melee attacks are much more powerful, especially at this point in the game, than whittling down their health with projectiles.

No matter, we still manage to kill it before it glitches out of the stage.

All right!

Okay, and now we finally get the difficulty select!

Given that Normal is already extremely easy, I’m leaning towards picking Intense for this run so I can actually show off the game. It’ll be fine. Probably.

Music: Voyage To Tomorrow (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

And now the main overview menu is here! Let’s check out Destruction, the tower defense combat portion of the game.

All right, that’s enough Destruction for now. Just wanted to give a slight bit of context for the way it’s structured if nothing else.

Analysis!

Here is the Event Archive, which shows every story event in order. We can sort them by character, too, in case we just want an outline of a character’s journey, be through in their own story or someone else’s. I won’t be showing much of this because just knowing what event happened when can have massive implications. This is a time travel story, after all.

This is a sample of what the archive looks like for an event we’ve seen, though.

And next, we move on to the Mystery Files. These are files that detail characters, items, and elements of the story, sometimes with a bit more detail than we get in the game. I probably won’t cover a huge amount of these, but some will be important enough that I probably should show them.

Here are the files for the characters we’ve controlled up to now, just for reference.

And we can also unseal new files by unlocking them with Mystery Points gained from Destruction.

Wow! Useful information!

Finally, Remembrance!

Wait, what? “Diverge based on the actions you take?” This game is already too complicated for a branching storyline, goddammit.

Some events are actually locked until we see other events.

Some are even locked until we complete certain stages in Destruction.

And that’s all of it! So… what next? Well, part of the fun of this game is going through everything in your own order, trying to unravel the plot based on what leads and characters you find most compelling. So we’re going to do thread voting, with the caveat that I have ultimate veto power. Why would I need veto power? Well, it’s been brought up that it’s possible to see stuff in kind of a “wrong” order, where revelations come too early or too late to really be effective. So to mitigate that, if I play an event and really strongly think we should see a different event first, I’m just going to pick a different one. I do not expect to do this very often if at all, because the reason this game is so good is that it doesn’t really matter what order you do things in, but it’s *possible* I will end up doing this, so you’ve been warned. On that note I will not tell you when I have done this because that would just give the whole game away, now wouldn’t it?

Now, the available choices are:

Juro Kurabe (11% completion)
Ei Sekigahara (14%)
Iori Fuyusaka (14%)
Megumi Yakushiji (14%)
Natsuno Minami (12%)
Destruction (18%)

There's also:

Takatoshi Hijiyama (14%, locked behind Ogata)
Shu Amiguchi (14%, locked behind Destruction)

You’re free to choose! Here’s the poll.

(but I really suggest we pick Juro next, it would really help me out for structural reasons, c’mon guys just do me a solid this once)

Oh, and before I forget:

Ei Sekigahara is voiced by Kyle McCarley, who’s known for roles like 9S from Nier Automata, Mob from Mob Psycho 100, and Narancia from JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind. Ei is actually way deeper than his normal register, I’m honestly super impressed with this performance.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 14, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Looks like our next stop on the media this game takes inspiration from is The Bourne Identity.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This episode contains this game's single unresolved plothole. And I won't be able to clarify what it is for a loooooooong time.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Junpei posted:

Looks like our next stop on the media this game takes inspiration from is The Bourne Identity.

I was thinking more Total Recall, with Ei receiving a message from his past self.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I believe he read the same article I did that listed the inspirations for most of the stories. IIRC, Total Recall was also on that list for Ei, but I'm going to ask that we not talk about that article any more because some of the inspirations are spoilers.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Natsuno Minami

You all know in your hearts this is the true choice.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Juro Kurabe

We can be merciful

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Ei Sekigahara is voiced by Kyle McCarley, who’s known for roles like 9S from Nier Automata, Mob from Mob Psycho 100, and Narancia from JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind. Ei is actually way deeper than his normal register, I’m honestly super impressed with this performance.

Now that you have pointed it out I do hear it to as it reminds me of the voice he used for Mikazuki Augus.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
As someone who's just getting around to watching Mob Psycho 100, that sure is Mob. 'Sekigahara' is a hell of a choice for a surname though, given how most people would think of the battles there first.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For anyone who's on the fence, 13 Sentinels just went up on a 50% off sale on PSN today. Will probably be picking it up myself, as the first few posts made it look really intriguing (haven't been reading more so as to keep the surprises as such) and I was watching for a price drop.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Not to, like, counter advertise a different LP in this one's thread

but Kyle McCarley has a bunch of videos on youtube of him playing the game, and they're a fun watch if only to get the voice acting, which rules

...or you could play yourself, which is probably ideal, and very recommended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jen X posted:

Not to, like, counter advertise a different LP in this one's thread

but Kyle McCarley has a bunch of videos on youtube of him playing the game, and they're a fun watch if only to get the voice acting, which rules

...or you could play yourself, which is probably ideal, and very recommended

I love watching all the commentary I can get so thank you for this