Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Doing this as an SSLP is an interesting choice.

That said:
Everyone with a PS4 and an interesting in wacky and/or scifi plots and VNs should get this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hunt11 posted:

Just got started and I am a bit further ahead and all I will say is holy poo poo I have no idea what is going on.

Things that would be major reveals in any other VN (e.g. a Zero Escape game) just get dropped here every half hour or so.
Not every single chapter, but enough of them.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Astrofig posted:

What system is this on? It looks amazing and I'd like very much to try it.

PS4 exclusive.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

According to design notes, the original plan was to have Hijiyama be a fan of yakisoba, but the way they designed conversations and the engine meant that it needed to be something he could carry and eat in one hand.
Therefore, yakisoba pan.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cloacamazing! posted:

Bought the game after reading the first updates here, and it's worth the money entirely to hear Takatoshi talk about his Yakisoba Pan. He just loves it so much. OTP.

I'm halfway done with Juro's story and I'm sure the plot twists are going to stop eventually, right? I mean, they have to run out at some point?

There comes a point at which point most people are pretty much done and you're just playing it out. But there's different levels of twists depending on what's going on.

Without spoilers there's absolutely some things that feel like they could be giant twists that are dropped right near the start of someone's story, and other cases where you can finish someone's story and just say "Huh. Well, OK."

My favourite twist is one that's absolutely inconsequential to the overall story, it's just very funny to me.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

As noted, Yuki's Leg Spike (and some other skills) means that unlike the other G4s who want to spam Interceptors all day, Yuki is effectively a flying G1 unit in exchange for doing a little less damage.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I suppose if you accept time travel then you might be a bit more accepting of a talking cat that gives you a 'magical' gun.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The fun thing for me is that if you wait too long in between doing Keitaro Miura and Yuki Takamiya's chapters, you can totally forget that Erika Aiba looks just like Tamao Kurabe.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

wologar posted:

Low humming noise? Leveled cities? Giant bugs? I see the Reapers have awakened.

There's a much better game franchise option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2iao4WSFrQ

On sale on Steam today! Best experience in co-op, either splitscreen (on a console at least, not sure if there's PC splitscreen) or online, though it might be tough to get a reasonable online server going since what online players there are are all probably playing with maxed out weapons on the highest difficulty.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Miwako is very accepting of her schoolmates acting like wackos in front of her.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Megumi basically never actually considers her thoughts.

Lack of introspection, or lack of developer time on the story? You decide!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If you try to push through to a certain point in the battles, then you get told you're locked until you complete Shu's event 'Around the World in 30km'.

As I got closer and closer to doing it I realised what it was going to be and was very excited to see this bit of the story.

My strategy in terms of dividing story and battle time was always to do as much of the battles as possible until I hit a lock, and then go back to the story until I happened (without gunning for it) to clear the battle lock. It helped avoid a giant rush of battles at the end.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The fact that Fluffy is actually a totally different character from the totally normal cat that hangs around the school is 100% my favourite little twist in this game. It's a totally unnecessary twist to have which is what makes it so good.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If you do this section first before the Juro section in the update before it, that means you first get to see what it looks like to Shu when Juro and Kyuta are both meant to be there.
It's just Juro looking blankly at a screen. Fun foreshadowing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

"Shintaro and Fluffy are two entirely different cats" is still my favourite 'reveal' in the game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, if nothing else the game wants you to be hitting the big global EMP when you're getting swarmed.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Aumanor posted:

Okay, so this update certainly clarifies some things, and yet it makes establishing the chronology even harder. I'm not even halfway through my reread and with this reveal it might be back to the drawing board for me, but here's a half-assed post to help me organise the information. What we know is that we're hundreds of years in the future, on another planet, terraformed using the machines now known as Deimos in a project. There are five sectors (plus sector 0, whatever it is), each simultaneously recreating the same Japanese city in five different time periods, 40 years "apart", populated by clones of humans from hundreds of years ago. In particular, some (all?) of the main cast are clones of people involved in the terraforming project. Travel between the sectors is possible using advanced translocation technology. The whole project can be "reset" in some way, restarting all sectors either x years back or just at a specific date (I don't remember what year we've seen the teenage Ida and Morimura land in), apparently used in response to the Deimos winning. Speaking of Deimos- they seem to regularily appear around the year 1984/5 + n*40, seemingly going in order 2104->2064->2025->1945->2025, at least in this iteration. And it is possible for people from one loop to make it to the next one.

The two main questions I have at this point is how exactly does the reset work and how many "loops" have we seen so far. Is the present Morimura (the one Ei seemingly killed) the same one that we've seen meet Ida on the Sumire Bridge? Is that Ida the same one giving Yuki her marching orders and/or the one Sekigahara made his deal with? Why are the people cloned from the same templates as them named Iori Fuyusaka and Shu Amiguchi in this loop when they "kept" the same name in at least two different loops? Did the three teenagers we've seen the adult Izumi shoot survive (because if not we're looking at at least five relevant "loops")?

Wow, this post is a complete mess

I think you've got this all mostly correct from information provided so far.
The scene selector you can access from the menu does actually put everything in chronological order, and I think this also includes the 'flashbacks' so it can be a little clearer if you're the one actually playing the game but this is almost impossible to convey in an LP. You can actually 'track' individual characters from the start of their chronology (at least for the playable characters - I don't know if you can do it for someone like Ida).

edit: info beyond this point removed

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 15, 2022

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Happy Landfill posted:

Wait, wait...so 've been sitting here this whole time trying to figure out when and where the Destruction segments were taking place and the answer the whole time was "In a video game, actaully" :psyboom: :psyboom: :psyboom:

The Destruction segments are happening the time it's always been said they're happening - after everything else.

The Deimos are literally built out of video game mechanics.
So the Meta-Chip upgrade system is hacking the upgrade system from that game into the Sentinels.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Arist posted:

I'm not sure it's ever explicitly stated outside of the Event Archive, it's just a thing you're meant to infer. It took me a stupid amount of time to figure out when I first played this, as well.

Also, update incoming.

I checked back to try and work out why I thought this was obvious to me on a first playthrough, because I didn't think I was spoiling anything -

It's something that's more clear if you're actually playing the game. The three 'modes' of the game and their tooltips are:

Remembrance: "Walk along fragments of the past through the eyes of the 13 protagonists."
Destruction: "Control the Sentinels and face the crisis head on."
Analysis: "Look back on the truths revealed so far."

Since the game opens up with Iori in Destruction, that's the 'narrative present', and so the 'past' mentioned in Remembrance is 'everything leading up to Destruction'. At least, that's how I took it early on in my playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

One of the top /r/13sentinels posts is just Gouto saying "I took notes."