Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Thank you so much for taking this bullet for me. Now I'm free.

I thought nobody else was doing this, and I was gonna have to. I was gonna do it. But I'm not running a duelling LP of this game in particular, there's just no point. Instead, I get to sit back and not say a single goddamn thing in this thread because gently caress if I can even remember what we're supposed to know at any point, this game is a lot.

Actually what I'll say is that I really like the battles! A lot of people seem really down on them, and I kinda get it, but I love them for what they are.

E: Permit me to post this excerpt from my OP that now won't be:

Fedule posted:

Buy the drat game
(△) Consider

Maybe you've picked up on this by now, but I want you to buy this game yourself. It deserves it. I mean, I'd love for some people to follow along vicariously for the whole show, that's kind of what we're here for, but if you reach a point where your curiosity is piqued and your wallet willing, absolutely go for it.

But don't take my word for it!

Taro Yoko posted:

I think you must buy this game! The reason for that is—in order to keep the existence of this Japanese national treasure of a company known as Vanillaware, they must sell as many copies as possible. I don’t care whether games of other companies sell, and I really wouldn’t care at all if Atlus were to go under! However, Vanillaware games are the one thing we can’t lose in Japan, so let’s all buy 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim!

Instead of interviewing me, how about interviewing Kamitani-san! Has Atlus gone mad? First of all, I’m not even an employee of Atlus, why am I even here... looking back, I don’t even know how it happened...

Masahiro Sakurai posted:

There never was and there will probably never be a game similar to 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, everyone should play it!

Anyone who wants to write a game scenario should play 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I also never quite figured out the City% mechanic, but that doesn't matter because I don't think it ever really registered, ever, like I don't think anything changes based on it and while a handful of missions have side objectives to keep it above say 80% I still never noticed it or had any trouble with that.

I think certain attacks from Kaiju will do damage to particular buildings if they're nearby (some buildings seem distinctive as you pan around the maps). This sounds like a wrinkle but the approach is the same; suffer not the Kaiju to live :black101:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I say this on a dime to anyone who asks and frankly several people who didn't ask: yes, if you find the combat easy, turn it up to Intense, and go for max ranks, all optional objectives and resolve never to press the Coward's Button, which will make sense in context.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah I love the entirety of the Destruction soundtrack. What can I say I'm a sucker for anyone who manages to combine bouncy synths, pounding techno, soaring strings, blaring horns, dubstep wubs, trashy drumkits, haunting vocalisation, and rock guitars into one production. Off the top of my head there's only one track in this OST that manages to feature all of those at the same time, but most of them have most of these.

I also love that all of these tracks are crammed into an OST otherwise full of visual novel stuff where they stand out all the more, not just for the completely different style but because each one is an amino acid wrapped up in -()-, just so you can more easily spot them while browsing.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 25, 2020

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Polsy posted:

Curiously they straight up say it's H G Wells in the Japanese version, not sure why the coyness here considering they already correctly named the title (it still has E.X.T., though)

Two things I know for certain about copyright are that it is incredibly stupid and incredibly labyrinthine to the point of enormously varying between regions in respect of the same work; I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn there was no issue namedropping Wells in Japan but an Atlus USA lawyer raised an eyebrow or three, even if referencing and quoting War of the Worlds by name was fine.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Yapping Eevee posted:

I'll go ahead and admit that I have trouble with names sometimes, especially Japanese ones. So when the kids get into the robots, it gets particularly confusing as to who's who... because I can no longer cleanly go off of appearances. I am going to be so deeply lost by the end of this.

Oh god I was the same, it took me most of the game to get some of these kids' names straight. This game would've maybe benefited from a subtitle speaker line among its plentiful options.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Flare Torpedo does poo poo damage but anyone you hit with it becomes overheated, taking a decent if not overwhelming amount of damage over time and, uh, I think becoming slower to act or something? I forget what the statuses in this game actually do. For a while it's a pretty decent crowd controller because it's one attack that pretty efficiently dooms an entire crowd of small fries for relatively cheap, though it becomes outclassed at that purpose later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Really the only real problem I have with Destruction is that it doesn't explain itself. It's kind of a shame, although at the same time it also loves to wield its incomprehensibility as an aesthetic, which is kind of a power move, so I can respect it a little.

The glorious overpoweredness of sentries and interceptors is a prime example of this. The description you get of sentries looks comprehensive, it shows you the power of the gun, its HP, and the number of shots. Okay. But it neglects to mention the most important thing about them, the thing that makes them so good, which I'm sure we're going to see in an update real soon. Interceptors are a similar deal, you get all these numbers but there's a huge info gap re: how useful they actually are, how do they move, are they like sentries where they only get so many shots or do they continue on until they die, how does their AI behave, what are they actually strong and weak against, etc. You can experiment and find out, although good luck getting a read on what they're doing in the chaos of battle.

Similarly, the exact mechanics of overheating and EMP-stun are left to your imagination, and you might never realise how useful thermal mines are in the right situations, or how useless EMPs are in the wrong ones.

The most common one you'll run into is, "but will this kill them"? It is possible to check the current numeric HP of an enemy, but it's weirdly difficult to do! I think a lot of players don't even know it's possible!

There are answers to all of these questions, of course, but it feels like it's all stuff the game should be far more upfront about.

I think I mentioned it before; the hard difficulty in this game is great. What it actually changes is the survivability of your Sentinels, such that chip damage can actually wear them down and big dangerous attacks can actually put you in danger, but otherwise enemies don't turn into damage sponges or get silly action advantages or any other bullshit like that, it simply brings the margin of error down just low enough that you have to start paying attention to it. It's still pretty easy, although it'll get you at times! I'm a big fan.

This is one of those games I have dreams about broad conversion mods of.