Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Welp, consider me hooked.
And by hooked I'm going to power play this during vacations, since I'm waiting on the fan translation of Azure before mainlining the Trails games up to Cold Steel 4 anyways. (Falcom franchise)

We'll be getting a lot out of good ole :psyduck: and variations, won't we?

I think my favorite :wtf: Vanillaware design is Velvet (Odin's Sphere), because during gameplay it somehow works, but if you spend a couple minutes actually looking at what she's wearing, holy poo poo woman what the hell is your battle outfit.

If this was an Yoko Taro :yokotaro: game I'd be half expecting Caim plus Red or Zero to pop up at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Arist posted:

oh, you motherfucker

Sorry, but at this point making you live Groundhog Day with Nenji until we get to a lock is way too funny not to.

(That wasn't me but I sure contributed)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yuki would not destroy the school in a careless act. She'd destroy it in a deliberate act. :v:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'd go light on Amiguchi's pushiness here, it makes sense. He really wanted someone else to double check any possible hallucinations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hunt11 posted:

This is a great moment. You finally get a definitive question about one of the first mysteries in the game but it only makes things more strange and giving you even more questions.

It's why this game is great. You can piece together a lot of the solutions beforehand but not all of them (unless you're Holmes tier) so there's always something you see coming and something blindsiding you, and none of this makes any goddamn sense anyways until one finally gets the corner piece for this 11d jigsaw.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I absolutely love this game. Everything is properly foreshadowed, so you will spot some twists but realistically not all of them.
The ones you see, you feel like a genius. The ones you don't :tviv:.

I spotted that the time travel wasn't fairly early because it was inconsistently consistent (40 years fixed jumps except when they suddenly weren't) and calling the different eras "sector" was not coherent either.
Plenty of poo poo I didn't see coming.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hunt11 posted:

Edit: And maybe one day Okino will stop teasing Hijiyama.

When they're both dead.
Maybe.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MachuPikacchu posted:

Are they really that overpowered in the PS4 version? I'm currently playing through the Switch version and sentries are good but not that good.

Yes.

Either the enemies explicitly target the sentries, which means they're tanking and thus Nenji & the other melees have free reign to wreck havoc.
Or they ignore the sentries, whose dps is off the charts.

Sentries are tanky enough, and the CD on getting them out is low enough, that either you keep building disposable hp sponges that tie the Deimos up, or you quickly summon a critical mass to create a railgun death zone around the terminal.
And usually the Deimos can't actually destroy sentries fast enough (or at all) to prevent a critical mass from forming, so sentries getting directly targeted ends up as por que nos los dos.

The only fight where they're decent but not exceptional is in the final map, because the map is saturated with enough random damage that sentries don't actually live that long.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 12, 2022

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I don't know why, but I find Iori's "I'm a schoolgirl with a giant robot" really funny. You go girl.

random musings: which year was sector 1 again?
:v: And is there any protagonist actually 'natively' from 1985? :v: (I think it's Shu, Nenji, Natsuno and Yuki)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sentry guns were very good before the patch because they had too much HP to be taken down by random kaju AoE, so they survived until the team could summon a critical mass of them.
Notably, in the upcoming last battle there is enough random AoE poo poo to destroy pre nerf sentries in short order.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

If there's a more detailed explanation somewhere I forgot where it is, but it was touched on at the start of the final battle.

Basically, the kids grow in the Matrix so they are properly socialized through interactions with the Turing-test-passing NPCs while their bodies grow in the tanks.
Clearing the final battle makes Universal Control realize poo poo's hosed and hit the "emergency decant" button, presumably without poo poo being hosed the last year or two in the Matrix would have seen UC bringing them up to speed.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ace Transmuter posted:

The most important thing is that they absolutely can and absolutely should build Miwako the perfect boyfriend.

:agreed:
Although there's no need to build him, Gouto is already out of the pods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Booky posted:

wait hold up what did that last scene mean?? :confused:

There are N copies of the terraforming kit that spread around the universe; 2188 Ryoko's sabotage happened before the data got copied so every single one of these copies has to deal with the Kajus; here's another one where Nenji ends up with Natsuno.

scaterry posted:

Question: Why isn't Okino a sentinel? I kept thinking he was a pilot and would get a story eventually...
He got killed before the battle so Universal Control wouldn't let him still be alive and fighting. He managed to hack enough of the system to chat with Hijiyama but nothing more.

Current loop Tamao is in the same boat, she got killed by Kajus in '1945' but death in the simulation does not mean death in the real world, UC only flushes the tank after a Kaju victory and not on simulated death of the occupants. She was fine* when the rest of the team won.
*mostly. She presumably needs a LOT of therapy, but so does everyone else.

I assume there should strong safeguards preventing the 15* clones to actually die in the simulation, but obviously Kajus can ignore those.
*the 13 protagonists, Okino, Tamao.

E: i think Juro's grandmother is either an AI NPC Tamao or the previous loop Tamao in an android body.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 5, 2022