Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ehud posted:

I think you can make the argument that Chase is the better need pick because he's the quintessential downfield threat and we don't have anyone on the roster who can do that right now (sorry Jakeem lol).

There is a possibility we could get Pitts with the Texans pick and address outside WR with Waddle later in the first round.

I'm just salivating at the thought of 2 TE sets with Pitts and Gesicki and what Tua could do with them in the middle of the field and in the red zone.

I think you've got an issue with neither Pitts nor Gesicki being able to block worth a poo poo and probably both being better off detached from the formation.

Can you run a 2-TE spread offense in 2020 in the NFL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Convert Pitts to a big WR. If our TEs can’t block LBs we’ll just have them push around tiny corners. That’ll make them feel like big men. More touchdowns

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What position groups are gonna have awesome players available in the second and third rounds?

Like how insanely good the last WR class has been.

Funnily enough, WR

Its not quite as good as last year, buts its pretty drat close

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sirtommygunn posted:

Is Trevor Lawrence just the latest guy who's being propped up as the next Andrew Luck because the media wants that kind of story or is he actually good? If he is good, what does he do that makes him so good?
He had the best true freshman season of anyone ever , is 6'5 and can run, and would have been #1 overall over kyler murray if he'd been eligible

Also pitts looks great but I bet he weighs in 20 lbs lighter than gronk

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 16, 2020

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think you've got an issue with neither Pitts nor Gesicki being able to block worth a poo poo and probably both being better off detached from the formation.

Can you run a 2-TE spread offense in 2020 in the NFL

Pitts can totally block. I know he lines up everywhere but they've definitely used him in counters and powers. It's like when people say Kelce can't block even when he man handles people every time he's asked to.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Doltos posted:

Pitts can totally block. I know he lines up everywhere but they've definitely used him in counters and powers. It's like when people say Kelce can't block even when he man handles people every time he's asked to.

I don't think he's hopeless- I think you can get him to the "good enough" standard that a lot of NFL receiving tight ends eventually meet at some point(that Kelce has eventually exceeded, as you note), but I think there's gonna be a lot of issues when he makes the jump. He's underpowered, has kind of a high center of balance/waist bending that result in him having issues sustaining unless he wins basically immediately. Maybe I'm looking at too much 2019 Lamical Perine stuff for his blocking, but it's a mess and he's gonna get hosed IMO if he goes into the NFL with that kind of stuff.

For your average NFL teams I'm sure you'll be able to manage picking and choosing your spots for him and having other guys who can handle dirty work- but the Dolphins already have Mike Gesicki. You're kinda angling yourself to be a spread team at that point.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I don't think he's hopeless- I think you can get him to the "good enough" standard that a lot of NFL receiving tight ends eventually meet at some point(that Kelce has eventually exceeded, as you note), but I think there's gonna be a lot of issues when he makes the jump. He's underpowered, has kind of a high center of balance/waist bending that result in him having issues sustaining unless he wins basically immediately. Maybe I'm looking at too much 2019 Lamical Perine stuff for his blocking, but it's a mess and he's gonna get hosed IMO if he goes into the NFL with that kind of stuff.

For your average NFL teams I'm sure you'll be able to manage picking and choosing your spots for him and having other guys who can handle dirty work- but the Dolphins already have Mike Gesicki. You're kinda angling yourself to be a spread team at that point.

I'll try to find more from 2020, but here is a compilation I found of his snaps from the Ole Miss game in week one. It has all his targets and his snaps as a blocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uuF4gFDfxI

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I'd somewhat agree with the leverage area. He's really tall and he wastes energy blocking sometimes. But as the link Ehud put up shows Pitts is working on it. He gets long and uses active hands to block. I think he'll be perfectly fine.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

If you're asking Kyle Pitts to block on more than a handful of plays, that just seems like using him wrong

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

zach wilson is the truth and i'd put him above trey lance and maybe even justin fields

devonta smith runs extremely crisp routes but i guess most bama wideouts do these days; the sec is somewhat thin at defensive back as a conference this year and there's a lot of covid weirdness but he's out there smoking dudes regularly. he's not jaylen waddle but he ran a 4.49 last time anyone measured which ain't exactly slow. ja'marr chase is still the #1 wideout on my board but i'd be plenty happy if my team took smith to be their WR1

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I would really like the Giants to pick up Devonta Smith, or if they bottom out they’ll have a shot at Ja’Marr

Three cone drill is the best measure for the needed acceleration to create separation, no? If not, what is?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Carlosologist posted:

I would really like the Giants to pick up Devonta Smith, or if they bottom out they’ll have a shot at Ja’Marr

Three cone drill is the best measure for the needed acceleration to create separation, no? If not, what is?

Bench press

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Carlosologist posted:

According to My Analysis it was the 20 yard shuttle for WRs between the years of 2012 and 2016. I haven't ran a regression model since then though so *shrug*.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
An attempt at my yearly honest evaluations of each QB--as I would order them--top 4 would be first rounders in any draft where the quality drops precipitously after that, particularly in that I don't think any of the guys after the 6th on my board have a prayer this year:

Trevor Lawrence - Clemson
Jesus himself, if you've been following draft twitter for the last couple years, and the highest rated QB recruit out of high school ever. He gets a lot of Luck comparisons for being prototypes that probably would've been top picks for at least a year or two while in college, but it is extremely fair to say he's going to be the best QB prospect at least of the last 5 years. People forget how big of a prospect Jameis was, and I think Trevor skirts the line between that and Luck, given that Luck had far less talent around him and still produced, but he's done more with that talent than Jameis did which makes him the number 2 QB prospect of the decade in my mind. Prototype size at 6'6", though he's probably going to want to add 10-20 pounds in the NFL since he'll be running less and has some minor durability concerns. His arm is big enough, but not in the Stafford cannon range--more of a velocity thrower than a raw air speed guy despite being a tall QB--best equated to prime Peyton in being enough to throw guys open without breaking fingers. Ball placement verges on otherworldly downfield but with occasional abilities to over/underthrow in shorter situations, indicating that he does have some room on touch passes. When you look at his passes, he has an incredible spiral that occasionally can come off of his hand flat in pressure situations. His feet are cleaner than most QBs coming out on account of how much less he tends to run, but he is prone, particularly on crossing routes over the middle to open his stance too much and push the ball which leads to some picks given that it interrupts his spiral. His processing power and ability to find matchups is pretty awe-inspiring, where he traditionally was running a better vertical offense than Deshaun last year. He has less help in skill positions this year, which has taken some range out of that offense but also force him to work more on tight windows. If I had to offer a critique, it's that I'm less confident about him under pressure than I was prior. It's easy to survive pressure when you have go-to skill guys, but he hasn't had that this year, and it shows in the fact that he's making more mistakes in pressure situations. I would look at having him get the ball out quicker and mainly just around getting him not to open up too much in the middle of the field and also preparing him for the fact that he's going to face serious pressure. Despite all his processing, I don't think Clemson's protections are particularly robust. He does everything past the numbers and downfield that you could want, but I worry a lot about him on the Jets with that protection and receiving corps. He's QB1, but I think people need to prepare for the fact that he might have a similar learning curve to recent top guys once there's tape on him as a pro and his tendencies, particularly once people figure out how to get to him. The Luck comparison is kind of lazy, and i think it's more fair to say that he looks like a mixture of Stafford and Peyton in terms of directing traffic and tools, where Luck and Elway were clearly ahead of those guys as prospects.

Justin Fields - Ohio State
Ironically, would be QB1 in any other class, and was the second highest rated QB recruit ever, just behind Trevor in his own class and state. He's a prototypical size at 6'3" 210ish, but he's built a little thicker than Lawrence and is used to doing a little more running in college, which makes me think he's not as likely to gain significant weight at the moment. Also some mild injury concerns with his knees and ankles, but lowering his rushing workload a bit would likely be enough to mitigate that. Fields has an NFL arm, but he's more in line with a Rodgers/Deshaun type of ball that mixes velocity and loft well when stretching the field, largely avoiding both overthrows and floating picks. He's particularly brilliant on crossing routes and outs where he'll hit tight windows and might even beat Lawrence on ball placement. I don't love some of his midfield throws, since he hangs balls more than he should there, but he's less prone to throw past receivers into the hands of a safety than Lawrence, so it's a different type of miss. I'm also ambivalent about his footwork. He has all day to throw and will hold the ball forever, which he needs to be broken of, but his feet are almost always solid when he has to do that or move with receivers on rollouts. What bothers me is that he loves to skip/crowhop into some outside throws that causes them to sail a bit in those situations. He's also got a nasty habit of lowering his stance too much in the pocket, which is less a footwork thing and more a stance width thing for when guys are trying to put the ball on a line. In terms of processing, he seems to get through reads reasonably, but the offense this year seems to have a number of half-field or high-low reads that are aimed mainly at fast decisions over full field, which does give Lawrence a slight edge here. He did a lot more true vertical/read work last year to mixed results, where he would sometimes try to lead receivers too much, but what's on tape is still enough that I feel comfortable saying he's going to run through 3-4 reads on passing plays at the next level. What does need work though is just how fast he moves to receivers. What happens a lot on his rollouts and pre-determined reads this year is that he frequently makes the smart play by not forcing the ball but then holds onto it and tries the scramble drill downfield or one of Olave/Wilson breaks open because they're absolute monsters. He, consequently, holds the ball far longer than an NFL OC will like, and is going to drive some west-coast types nuts, particularly since this is a habit you can take advantage of with the blitz. This works more than it should, but there's a reason Mahomes is special and rare in how he's able to do this. If I'm describing his floor, it's probably lower than Lawrence, but his mobility and ability to extend plays might give him a higher ceiling. His protection calls are fairly minor and mainly about keeping TE/RB in place rather than moving directions. People will compare him to Mahomes or Deshaun because of size and mobility, but I think the most accurate way of thinking about him passing is actually if Kyler was 4 inches taller in that they're similar mixed ball throwers who move out of the pocket a lot and push plays since I think he's less raw than Mahomes coming out from an offensive standpoint and more polished than Deshaun on his downfield/close ball proximity. As a runner? He's somewhere between Dak and Mahomes where he's going to get yards but you probably aren't counting on the output of a Lamar/Vick type.

Trey Lance - North Dakota State
This year's "what if" guy. A lot of clickbait scouts are pointing to him as an undervalued prospect and darkhorse QB1, but I don't know that he deserves that treatment yet. When you watch him on tape, he's the most convincing runner of the class in terms of not only breaking and evading tackles but looking comfortable with a big workload. He's built a bit bigger than traditional elusive dual threats at 6'3 221, which makes me think he could continue to do that for 10-15 carries a game in the NFL if you want. He also looks incredibly comfortable in traditional play action sets in a way that even Fields and Lawrence don't always do, which speaks a lot to how multiple NDSU's offense has been the last few years. I don't think he has a cannon and is above Fields but behind Lawrence in this category, though he could have a second gear on deep balls that the NDSU offense isn't necessarily geared for since receivers are constantly open. I love his ball placement too, since he gets a lot of guys in stride despite not needing that margin frequently. Now, we need to discuss the bad parts of his game. For a mobile QB, I don't think his footwork is bad, but I also don't think we know exactly how bad/good it'll be for one simple reason--that offense isn't predicated on him maintaining footwork for long. He floats deep balls off his back foot on occasion, but it's mainly a matter of him having the arm where it doesn't matter. If he's going deep, it's frequently off of play action that involves clear drops or moves on predetermined stress points. If he's got 4 receivers out there, he's frequently only reading half the field before taking off. He looks a lot like Fields did as a freshman at Georgia in this instance, where he's probably capable of more but asked to get the ball out quick or take off to avoid negative plays. I would want to spend a lot of time with him at the board to see how he handles things like a Triangle Read/verts before I'm super comfortable with this element, but he avoids bad decisions well enough that you probably take the gamble. I don't know if he has any protection responsibilities, but if he does they at least appear to not create pressure for him which is a good sign. It reminds me a lot of Fields where his receivers have such a talent disparity that it's almost hard for him to get deep in progressions. He's going to get compared to other black QBs, like Mahomes or Watson or Kyler, for all the usual reasons but I actually think his throwing ability reminds me a lot of what we saw out of Tua where his ability to place balls downfield and in space is solid, but it can be difficult to project how it works when there's not the skill disparity that exists. I would assume he's similar given how few of his receivers break stride, but we'll see. In terms of his running, it wouldn't shock me to see people try to do what Philly did with Hurts last week where he's a consistent part of the running game since he should be big enough to handle it, though I think he's more of a straight-line/one-cut runner like RG3 was. If he hits, he could easily be Pro Bowl-era Tyrod Taylor He'll be a first-rounder, but it's hard to estimate how the front offices will value him given how things like the Wentz experiment have gone recently.

Zach Wilson - BYU
Mormon Manziel? Not really, well, kind of. He operates from empty or effectively empty a lot with BYU's penchant to put guys in space, given that their line greatly outclasses a lot of teams they play. This means he loves the scramble drill and forcing balls downfield to a Romney or any other receiver on that offense, just like Johnny with Mike Evans, right? Well, I disagree vehemently with this comparison for a few reasons. First, Wilson's mechanics and ability to square up are uncanny for a QB at the college level. I don't know what it is, but his ability to create a platform and launch with hip/body drive to build air and zip are both lightning quick and consistent, even when his feet are sideways a millisecond before. If it weren't for Lawrence, I would call it the best delivery in the draft, even though he loves to crow hop/jolly green giant step on intermediate/long passes when he's got a guy running deep. I also love how fast he gets through reads, frequently popping to second and third guys when primary options are covered, though that offense is explicitly designed to put the reads in enough space to be clear. So what bugs me? Well, the first is that he has a lightning fast release and somehow never throws guys open in the short-intermediate game. I don't know what it is, but despite his mechanics and speed being there, he just never puts the ball that extra foot or two in front or that half second early to get a guy with an advantage in space. The closest thing I can liken it to is like when Leach teams run shallow cross with walk-ons for 6 yards every time because the QB isn't zipping the ball and the receiver is doing just enough. As is, the scheme is clearly designed to maximize his talent by giving him a lot of vertical reads to throw guys open with air, because he just never does it on velocity alone. I think part of it is a desire to avoid mistakes since a ball too early could end up with a safety and a ball too late is a pick six, but that window is going to be microscopic in the NFL. I also don't think he calls enough protections that a coach is going to love what he does out there. He looks a lot like Mariota did in his ability to technically execute an offense that may not make a lot of sense at the next level due to its reliance on man-beaters and play extension, but I don't think he quite has Marcus's velocity and is more in line with Goff or even Mayfield on that front. Personally, I could see him doing very well if he landed with someone like Arians/Anthony Lynn who could find ways to use him downfield, but he's going to drive an OC nuts with his short game tendencies for a while. I don't love a lot of comparisons for him, but I think Jimmy Garoppolo with some improved foot skills would be a fair prospect comparison.

Kyle Trask - Florida
Remember when Florida didn't have a guy who could pass for like a decade? Now all the do is essentially run a weird half air raid with this guy, since they have absolutely no running threat from him or anyone else (though Mullen does occasionally call his number much like when they made Brantley run the zone read). He's older, but he does have a big frame at 6'5 240 that makes me think he'll be ready to play right away if asked. His arm is solid if unremarkable, on par with a Fitzpatrick, Smith, or McCown of some nature who are all smaller than him, and he's more of a touch passer at this point, particularly on wheels and crosses that a ball can be softly dropped in--this also means he's a bit more likely to be turnover prone than most of the QBs so far on account of the catchable ball. He has some velocity, but we don't see him throw a lot of tight windows to really gauge just how good his ball placement is on hard sticks. Consequently, he makes a lot of "game manager" type plays where he'll take safe yards and live to fight another day. All the above guys have some tendency that prevents them from doing that (Lawrence challenges close coverage, Fields holds the ball too long, Lance locks on to reads and then takes off, Wilson holds the ball and leave the pocket), where Trask is very content to just check down. This also means he's far less likely to blow plays open by himself, meaning he frequently benefits from Mullen's willingness to run man-beater routes at regular intervals. I also think his blitz pickup isn't great and just means he immediately checks down. Part of that is that there's just no running threat to speak of, so he faces a lot of ears-back pass rushes and has to survive on either quick outs or protectio ncalls. He's probably going to be a clipboard/spot start guy in the league for a while, but I just don't know that his arm is big enough as he's currently showing to ever be a high-end option. He reminds me a bit of Chad Henne in that he's been well coached to get through games and has some tools but is probably never going to be a superstar.

Kellen Mond - Texas A&M
Man, the "Jimbo will get you paid (once)" adage is going to be tested here. Mond is a toolsy guy who throws a solid spiral that reminds me a bit of Jake Locker in the fact that some balls come out of his hand like absolute beauties in the sideline/downfield game while others look like he's never thrown a pass before. When Locker came out, a bunch of people thought he was just too raw to work, myself included, but the tools made you want to give him a shot. Mond has been starting long enough to be the school's record passer and still is an incredibly high variance QB. Part of it is probably Jimbo's offense and its lack of hot reads/changes, but I really can't get over how odd the fit looks from play to play with Jimbo pretending to embrace spread concepts while still forcing weirdly tight windows on an athletic freak. He makes adequate protection calls, and then he misses through passing windows by throwing too fast over the middle and into the second level and can be jumped with careful timing by a DB, and he frequently will put balls far too hard into guys feet. It's reminiscent of EJ Manuel in Jimbo's offense having every tool in the book but just being incredibly inconsistent at executing any part of it, though I do think he has a better arm than EJ. I also don't think he can located back-shoulder or fade opportunities with any consistency. If I had to guess, he's probably not going to work out given how mediocre his accuracy is. He looks a lot like Locker or DeShone Kizer to me at the moment.

Mac Jones - Alabama
Ah, the snake eating itself of the draft. Is Jones a product of maybe the greatest 2 year run of receivers in college history? (Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, Waddle, and Metchie will all be first rounders between last draft to next draft). It's actually eerie to me how interchangeable he and Tua are in this offense, given that they basically run the same fade/drag/cross/streak/curl concepts without any real changes given the makeup of the skill corps. He gets a lot of air on his deep ball, maybe more than Tua, but I don't see him step in and zip balls the same way Tua did in the intermediate/short game. If I had to describe his arm strength, he looks a lot like Mayfield to me where I think he's roughly accurate with solid velocity but gets away with an insane amount of variance by virtue of how quick his receviers can change speeds. When you have a guy beaten by 5 steps, losing 1-2 for an underthrow isn't a big deal. I think his touch on all aspects of the field is elite and probably better than Trask's, as is his potential to cause guys to open up. What do I worry about with him? A number of things. To start, he's got the best supporting cast in football and is almost never under pressure, meaning he can step into whatever he feels like. The handful of times that he's been pressured, largely last year, he forced balls out early resulting in pick sixes or sail balls that ultimately reflect a guy who doesn't always step in when there's a man in his face. Consequently, I would describe his feet as solid but prone to jitters if the clock in his head starts going. I also don't know that he has too many protection calls to make given that the modern Saban offense doesn't offer a heck of a lot of variance from 4-5 man patterns. I think he's going to look a lot like Matt Leinart, where the all-world skill talent covered up a lot of holes in his game, though his arm might not be quite that weak.

Quick hits:

Ehlinger - Don't draft a guy who sucks in the short game and is deep ball only. Should grad transfer to be taken seriously
Newman - Should stay a year or transfer again but might be a late round gem, decent arm and accuracy, but that Wake offense was slow and hinged on option pressure points that don't exist at the next level.
Kenny Pickett - Nathan Peterman part 2
Brock Purdy - Has looked good in a fairly limited scheme that isn't going deep a heck of a lot and does a lot of intermediate stress to account for his arm still being a touch weak. Could be an Alex Smith-type draft pick with another year of seasoning
Tanner Morgan - Appears to just be Mitch Leidner but bald to me.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Carlosologist posted:

Depends on where you want them to separate. DL Metcalf famously binned the 3 cone and has no problem creating separation by simply running very fast in a straight line.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Oh GreyGhost is someone you should listen to as well he puts in a lot of work

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Kyle Trask is a big weirdo in that he didn't really play High School ball. His Florida tape is all he has for the most part

There's probably some coach that thinks he can work with Trask because of his lack of reps or something

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Well technically he played he was just firmly behind D'Eriq King who was a high school legend in Texas. Put up even more stats than Kyler Murray (and is a better QB). Despite this Trask still got like a 3 star because rivals and 247 just looks at height and weight for the most part.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Trask is just so odd to me because he's such a tendency breaker for his body type. He's not really a gunslinger since he throws all his wheels and corners and underneath routes with air into space, but there's something between his arm and his release that seems to prevent the ball from spinning or flying particularly hard--might be that he palms the ball too much which mutes his velocity. When you look at his 15+ yarders, he almost scoops the ball up into position like a front raise at times, which makes me think that a QB coach in his past had to break him of a big hitch/loop he might have been using but shortcutted things enough that his arm moves before his legs which can make him push balls out instead of whipping. That's part of what bugs me so much about his tape--he really could be hiding another gear mechanically, but he's also a stocky/inflexible type that makes me think changing a release point or bringing the ball upis a Tebow-esque suicide mission.

Part of the reason he looks so good in that offense is because he has a borderline Manziel-bump from how much of a contested catch receiver Pitts is--looks a lot like what would happen when Manziel got in trouble and he'd immediately look to Evans. essentially the answer to exactly what Dan Muilen would've tried to do to accomodate Brantley by forcing a bunch of wheel/back-shoulder combo routes that make up for when guys can't separate by giving receivers an advantage. What's ironic is that I see a lot of the criticisms people wanted to make about Burrow in him last year, and I think Burrow was far more athletic.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Just realized the 2021 draft is in Cleveland, get that vaccine and vaccinations going damnit!

I wonder if they’d set the lake on fire and have a barge bring the players out to a floating podium...

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Ehud posted:

I'll try to find more from 2020, but here is a compilation I found of his snaps from the Ole Miss game in week one. It has all his targets and his snaps as a blocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uuF4gFDfxI

Doltos posted:

I'd somewhat agree with the leverage area. He's really tall and he wastes energy blocking sometimes. But as the link Ehud put up shows Pitts is working on it. He gets long and uses active hands to block. I think he'll be perfectly fine.

I don't think it's much better, there- he's not asked to do it much and what he's asked to do isn't so hot.

In a vacuum I'd still 100% be happy with my team drafting him, I just think pairing him with Gesicki isn't great- especially for the Dolphins who are building a bigger, less mobile OL, which is probably going to require them to lean on non-linemen blockers to give them solid diversity in what they can call in the run game.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 17, 2020

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Doltos posted:

According to My Analysis it was the 20 yard shuttle for WRs between the years of 2012 and 2016. I haven't ran a regression model since then though so *shrug*.

What are we even paying you for???

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Man, the more I watch Fields the more concerned I’m getting about his processing. Holding the ball and patting it is bad enough, but he’s really having trouble directing receivers which makes the playmaker label directing traffic really questionable. Indiana and now NW today are showing that you can get him out of his progressions with just minor pressure to get him thinking he needs the pocket. The tools are still there, but I’m really worried this could go RG3 on us. Gonna be grinding these tapes for a while.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Olaves stock is going up right? Fields is clearly missing the poo poo out of him

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Question:

Is there a youtube series or anything similar that breaks down how to evaluate players?

The more NFL breakdown content I watch the more I want to try and watch CFB players to get a gauge on what they can do, but I have no idea where to start.

Shoutout to Doltos for his usually consistently good info.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Samuel Gold usually does a draft crush series starting around the combine

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

So who do we think the better Alabama WR is between Waddle and Smith? They're of course different players, but it does seem like they are really close to each other in terms of just overall talent.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Question:

Is there a youtube series or anything similar that breaks down how to evaluate players?

The more NFL breakdown content I watch the more I want to try and watch CFB players to get a gauge on what they can do, but I have no idea where to start.

Shoutout to Doltos for his usually consistently good info.

I don't know if there are any of those, but I think probably your best bet for a start is to compare the written profiles on whatever website you trust to what you see when watching the player. The Draft Network has loads of profiles up(although some of them were written before this season), and just try to put it in the context of what you know about where they're coming from and where they might go in terms of scheme.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheGreyGhost posted:

Man, the more I watch Fields the more concerned I’m getting about his processing. Holding the ball and patting it is bad enough, but he’s really having trouble directing receivers which makes the playmaker label directing traffic really questionable. Indiana and now NW today are showing that you can get him out of his progressions with just minor pressure to get him thinking he needs the pocket. The tools are still there, but I’m really worried this could go RG3 on us. Gonna be grinding these tapes for a while.

That's his major knock and always has been but I think today's game was NW completely selling out in the coverage game. They were having cloud zones everywhere. I wasn't super watching it closely since I was streaming at the same time but I think a lot of college QBs would have had trouble today. Trey Sermon is good but man was he feasting on empty boxes.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

So who do we think the better Alabama WR is between Waddle and Smith? They're of course different players, but it does seem like they are really close to each other in terms of just overall talent.

It's gamer vs talent. Waddle is way more physically talented since he's basically LeSean McCoy in WR form with the ball. Smith is pure talent on the field though. Always gets open, beats a variety of tough corners on the reg, and a lot of people are thinking he's better than Chase on talent alone. He just has that knack to shake DBs. Plus he could probably catch a ball in a hurricane.

I just guarantee he's going to run a 4.55 and have a mediocre 3 cone and will get a bunch of stupid opinions about him after the process is over.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Doltos posted:

That's his major knock and always has been but I think today's game was NW completely selling out in the coverage game. They were having cloud zones everywhere. I wasn't super watching it closely since I was streaming at the same time but I think a lot of college QBs would have had trouble today. Trey Sermon is good but man was he feasting on empty boxes.

It's gamer vs talent. Waddle is way more physically talented since he's basically LeSean McCoy in WR form with the ball. Smith is pure talent on the field though. Always gets open, beats a variety of tough corners on the reg, and a lot of people are thinking he's better than Chase on talent alone. He just has that knack to shake DBs. Plus he could probably catch a ball in a hurricane.

I just guarantee he's going to run a 4.55 and have a mediocre 3 cone and will get a bunch of stupid opinions about him after the process is over.

Agree on the coverage point, NW spent basically the entire game doubling anything farther than 8 yards out. I question if they couldn’t have taken the cover off with 4 verts at some points. I can also see some issues with how the receivers were getting signals—WR coach was gone for a unit where the oldest guy out there was 19–that clearly complicated some option routes and play extension. He did injure his thumb part of the way into the game, which is super noticeable when he’s checking down—spinning a ball puts more pressure on your middle finger to pinky whereas touch passes release more to the thumb. He blew about 4 check downs to the running back and at least his second interception with awkward releases, which is partly on Day for putting him in that situation. Usually when he throws picks, it’s a misread that he tries to force or miscommunication with a receiver, which is why today was super startling. Basically 8-10 passes in, his hand is just clearly off, but they kept passing. His ball placement is better than he showed today, but the read speed and WR communication are still going to be an open item.

I look at Smith and see a guy like Juju who does everything with insane body control and beating dudes off press who will indeed run mediocre. People underestimate him in the run game but he bodied almost every DB he saw. Waddle is definitely similar to McCoy in his ability to cut, but he actually reminds me a lot of Harvin as a prospect where he’s just an incredible weapon in space and returning but isn’t super polished at some elements. He isn’t super clean on his double moves and vertical routes but just blows by people. He’s probably more likely to take a slant to the house on a single cut, but if you had him run a whip or shallow cross, I take smith over him since it’s a more technical route where the space is about technique. Both have great hands too. We’re going to look back at last year’s bama receiving corps like early 2000s Miami running backs.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Doltos posted:

and then he goes to a contender and turns into his best self ala DK Metcalf?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DC Murderverse posted:

and then he goes to a contender and turns into his best self ala DK Metcalf?

Metcalf dropping was egregious. He was obviously more athletic than his combine indicated. I'd say Devonta has proven enough this year not to drop hard even if his combine is bad, but falling a bit to the mid to late teens could happen. He's lucky he plays for an SEC power house or else he could easily slip for the reasons Juju did. Or the second worst slip in recent years, Cooper Kupp. Sometimes if dudes just get open all the time you have to draft them high.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Justin Fields has dropped off quite a bit for me. It's kind of interesting how he was considered QB1 right there with Lawrence, but that simply isn't the case anymore. Honestly, I'd put Zach Wilson above him at this point, but I'm unreasonably a big fan of his game. I think he's going to be a Pro Bowl QB in the NFL.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Browns need a defense meaning entire linebacker core and secondary other than Ward and also a defensive coordinator and a kicker.

Any ace kickers?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Gatts posted:

Browns need a defense meaning entire linebacker core and secondary other than Ward and also a defensive coordinator and a kicker.

Any ace kickers?

3 defensive linemen. Vernon is gone next year and Richardson has a year left.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am not a fan of Fields at all but I also felt this strongly with Herbert so I give the gently caress up.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ches Neckbeard posted:

3 defensive linemen. Vernon is gone next year and Richardson has a year left.

So we need everything. Great. I guess I’ll be also needing to know free agents next year too

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Y'all need to get out of the draft thread. We're not dead yet.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Niners currently pick 12th. That seems early enough for them to snag a project QB or trade up for one of the better prospects. However...

...Carolina is currently at 4th overall, which means that 3 of the top 4 teams need a QB. That could hamper the niners chances at a QB.

Dolphins own Houston's first rounder, which is currently at 6th overall. Lmao.

Cincy at 3rd overall seems poised to grab the top LT, a generational prospect. Considering they have their QB of the future and Tee Higgins has been a great rookie WR, Bengals look to have a potential great offense brewing.

Jax and NYJ own LAR and SEA firsts, which are 25th and 26th respectively.

This is shaping up to be a really fun draft. Especially with all the ???s due to COVID college season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Gatts posted:

Any ace kickers?

We get Williams and delpit back in the secondary next year. Focus on D line and LBs.