Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Niners currently pick 12th. That seems early enough for them to snag a project QB or trade up for one of the better prospects. However...

...Carolina is currently at 4th overall, which means that 3 of the top 4 teams need a QB. That could hamper the niners chances at a QB.

This is shaping up to be a really fun draft. Especially with all the ???s due to COVID college season.

Realistically, any of the Jags, Jets, Panthers, Falcons, Cowboys, Lions, 49ers, Broncos, Vikings, Patriots and Bears could draft a QB in the top half of the first round.

If the prospects pan out, it could be an expensive trade market for someone trying to get the 3rd or 4th options there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Is really pretty obvious the panthers aren't loving Bridgewater and it turns out he wasn't even their first choice of journey man.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Niners currently pick 12th. That seems early enough for them to snag a project QB or trade up for one of the better prospects. However...

...Carolina is currently at 4th overall, which means that 3 of the top 4 teams need a QB. That could hamper the niners chances at a QB.

Dolphins own Houston's first rounder, which is currently at 6th overall. Lmao.

Cincy at 3rd overall seems poised to grab the top LT, a generational prospect. Considering they have their QB of the future and Tee Higgins has been a great rookie WR, Bengals look to have a potential great offense brewing.

Jax and NYJ own LAR and SEA firsts, which are 25th and 26th respectively.

This is shaping up to be a really fun draft. Especially with all the ???s due to COVID college season.

Cincy still needs four other OL.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

TheGreyGhost posted:

We get Williams and delpit back in the secondary next year. Focus on D line and LBs.

I like Greedy in theory but he's slightly more durable than Howard Wilson. His current injury is nerve damage which is 6months to a year if the nerve heals. Eyeballing a corner ain't a bad thing. At worst somebody ends up at nickle.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

RANK Trevor as a prospect against other QB prospects going back to 2010.

I’ve got a list and where is Cam Newton? The answer might surprise you...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kalli posted:

Realistically, any of the Jags, Jets, Panthers, Falcons, Cowboys, Lions, 49ers, Broncos, Vikings, Patriots and Bears could draft a QB in the top half of the first round.

If the prospects pan out, it could be an expensive trade market for someone trying to get the 3rd or 4th options there.

bears are going to be in position to take the 5th best qb, im praying they go for that northwestern tackle instead if hes still on the board. I don't want Mac Jones because i don't think there's any way to evaluate him

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Mitch is playing his way into one more chance, you know it to be true

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Looking through the draft order right now. One win would push the panthers from pick 4 to 8. I really hope they sit CMC and just lose out.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Kalli posted:

It's gonna be very cool and good if the Dolphins can turn the Texans pick(currently #6) into another Laremy Tunsil-sized haul of picks.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

the worst thing about this race to the Lawrence/Fields sweepstakes is that the teams with best chances play in the AFC and the AFC already has way too many young talented quarterbacks

the best thing is that none of these young talented quarterbacks play for the Steelers or the Patriots (until they pull a HoFer out of their asses in the 4th round because we're all dead)

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 21, 2020

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Tennessee desperately needs a great pass rusher. It’s really the only position group on the team that is obviously flawed. I hate drafting for need but our two offseason signings were totally worthless and we need to go a different direction.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

bears are going to be in position to take the 5th best qb, im praying they go for that northwestern tackle instead if hes still on the board. I don't want Mac Jones because i don't think there's any way to evaluate him

Bears won’t be in position at all in the current order to take the fifth qb as there’s plenty of teams ahead of their pick that could take him. Unless you simply meant Mac won’t go that high or the Bears could trade up to take.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 21, 2020

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Bears are gonna sign Mariota

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
God I hope so. Pray for poor Allen Robinson if that’s the case

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

thrilla in vanilla posted:

God I hope so. Pray for poor Allen Robinson if that’s the case

He's FA after this year. Run fast and far Allen.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Seems wildly irresponsible for the bears to move on from the hot hand in Trubisky.

You gotta let that streak ride!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

RANK Trevor as a prospect against other QB prospects going back to 2010.

I’ve got a list and where is Cam Newton? The answer might surprise you...

trevor's maybe only behind luck? more like 1 and 1a

closest thing to a no-brainer we've ever seen i think

going through each year:
2010- trash year, loving awful. bradford, tebow, colt mccoy, clausen, kafka, skelton, and jonathan crompton, the only one of those middling journeymen a team never tricked themselves into
2011- locker was pretty highly regarded but wasn't nearly as productive on an incredibly bad washington team so he fell. this is the cam year; great right up until he wasn't. still a tier below luck/trevor
2012- luck is here. rg3 looks a lot less impressive in retrospect but that's not necessarily fair to him. tanny is... tanny, but even as the runner up he's still the only one of the three still starting and contributing on a regular basis so who knows
2013- the first pick at qb doesn't come until 16 which, given what we know about bad teams and team needs and the value of qbs, kind of says everything you need to know about this crop
2014- top 3 of bortles, johnny football, and teddy bridgewater. oof.
2015- jameis' stock was never higher than it was during his freshman season and mariota was considered a system guy until he blew people away at the combine. i guess jameis might be on the short list because draft guys love dudes with big arms
2016- goff and wentz were two halves of one great qb
2017- the tittie licker himself. mahomes didn't jump off the page as a great prospect but what are you gonna do. deshaun watson was mostly praised for intangibles.
2018- darnold was actually the golden boy in terms of scouting reports; mayfield and jackson went in the first because of their insane college production and allen and rosen were long term projects that had incredible arms
2019- kyler short

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
A list:
1. Andrew Luck
2. Trevor Lawrence
3. Cameron Newton
4. Jameis Winston
5. Joe Burrow
6. Sam Bradford
7. Sam Darnold
8. Josh Rosen
9. Carson Wentz
10. Jared Goff

That's about the list for the stereotypical franchise QBs. The ones that are 6'3+ etc. I bumped Mariota, Josh Allen, and Herbert down since they all had a lot of question marks going into and through the process. The top 5 were solid locks to all be the #1 pick no matter what draft they landed in and the bottom 5 would usually be #1 in drafts where the top 5 weren't there, regardless of how their careers are presently going.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
That's a really good list. Pretty much spot on.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The Bengals have licked Penei Sewell and also called dibs.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Doltos posted:

A list:
1. Andrew Luck
2. Trevor Lawrence
3. Cameron Newton
4. Jameis Winston
5. Joe Burrow
6. Sam Bradford
7. Sam Darnold
8. Josh Rosen
9. Carson Wentz
10. Jared Goff

That's about the list for the stereotypical franchise QBs. The ones that are 6'3+ etc. I bumped Mariota, Josh Allen, and Herbert down since they all had a lot of question marks going into and through the process. The top 5 were solid locks to all be the #1 pick no matter what draft they landed in and the bottom 5 would usually be #1 in drafts where the top 5 weren't there, regardless of how their careers are presently going.

Josh Rosen lol

I mean, he was highly regarded at the time, but that was a collosal whiff by everyone

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Today I learned there's a 3rd St. Brown brother. Only his first name is listed so far.

Osiris

https://gostanford.com/sports/football/roster/osiris-st--brown/17059

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So it looks like D. Smith is a strong Heisman Candidate. If he wins, does he become the #1 WR in the draft over Chase? If so, where do you see them both going, respectively, in the draft?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Amy Pole Her posted:

So it looks like D. Smith is a strong Heisman Candidate. If he wins, does he become the #1 WR in the draft over Chase? If so, where do you see them both going, respectively, in the draft?

I think either way Chase has to really show him up in the combine to keep the draft position. If he comes in middle of the road after not playing a year, or god forbid slightly out of playing shape...

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I still think D Smith has to run a good combine at 6'1 180. I realize pure athleticism isnt his game and it's way more about his hips and fluidity in his routes... but dang hard to draft a guy top 5 who runs a 4.5 without being 6'6

Im just hoping he still is around around 8-10

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If Chase has a poor combine then I can certainly see Smith jumping him. If he performs well though I think Justin Jefferson having a really good year with the Vikings will help him a lot since Chase outplayed Jefferson in the same offense.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Does DeVonta Smith compare to Peter Warrick? I didn't watch much college football this year but from some stuff I've seen he kind of reminds me of Warrick.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

wandler20 posted:

Does DeVonta Smith compare to Peter Warrick? I didn't watch much college football this year but from some stuff I've seen he kind of reminds me of Warrick.

devonta smith is a bit taller and wayyyy skinnier

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Amy Pole Her posted:

Can't imagine a college award effects his draft stock one way or another. Winning the Heisman has never seemed to help QBs. Chase is the #1 WR off the board barring some huge event during the process. That said, Devonta smith is my favorite WR because he's just good at playing WR. Reminds me a bit of the way Jarvis Landry or Keenan Allen play. Get open and catch everything that comes your way, you'll go far.

What are the thread's thoughts on Terrance Marshall Jr.? Between Landry, Beckham, Chark, and Jefferson LSU seems like a non stop WR factory.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 31, 2020

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Winning college awards 100% helps guys get taken. I’m not sure how that’s even debatable.

Ironically it doesn’t really predict success for the obvious reasons but I’d say it certainly helps your stock.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I suppose it's hard to find evidence for or against. Lamar and Manziel went late in the 1st despite winning the Heisman. Troy Smith and Tebow fell out of the 1st. RG3, Winston, Mariota, Bradford, and Newton all went top 2. As for the Biletnikoff plenty of winners weren't drafted as first WR of their class. Golden Tate, Dede Westbrook, and James Washington all went after day 1. For sure it's fair to say winning those awards don't hurt but I'm not sure it really changes how guys are viewed around the league. :iiam:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Seems likely they generate buzz and then the burden of proof will be on scouts to explain why they didn't like someone a little more thoroughly or find better reasons to argue for other guys. But if, say, AJ McCarron had won it the year Jameis did it wasn't going to turn him into a first rounder.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 31, 2020

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I suppose it's hard to find evidence for or against. Lamar and Manziel went late in the 1st despite winning the Heisman. Troy Smith and Tebow fell out of the 1st. RG3, Winston, Mariota, Bradford, and Newton all went top 2. As for the Biletnikoff plenty of winners weren't drafted as first WR of their class. Golden Tate, Dede Westbrook, and James Washington all went after day 1. For sure it's fair to say winning those awards don't hurt but I'm not sure it really changes how guys are viewed around the league. :iiam:

Yeah, they players that win those awards are already pretty good, generally, so its hard to say that the award is giving them a bigger oomph than their play already has. You could definitely draw a line showing that award winners are more likely to be drafted higher, but it would be a pretty meaningless correlation.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Winning an award would get you drafted by Sashi Brown. No seriously he admitted a while back that one of his mistakes was giving weight to awards.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Still mad Suh never got a Heisman.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Tebow went in the first :grin:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I understand what you’re saying, but I think we’re arguing different things.

I said it bumps up their stock. Makes a 2nd round level guy suddenly a high first round prospect.

A majority of the guys you’ve listed were never considered top tier prospects going into the season of their awards, at least in terms of nfl draft (for instance, Tebow was not expected to be a first rounder. He however, was...) while Smith was considered a first round lock since season began.

So far Smith has won the AP player of the year... that’s pretty rare for a receiver. He’s likely a Heisman top 2. Chase sat out. I don’t know.. I’ve got this nagging feeling some teams gonna grab him above Chase.

I’m just hoping that’s not Miami

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Amy Pole Her posted:

So far Smith has won the AP player of the year... that’s pretty rare for a receiver. He’s likely a Heisman top 2. Chase sat out. I don’t know.. I’ve got this nagging feeling some teams gonna grab him above Chase.

It’s also been an extremely weird college football season and I think a lot of teams are going to put a mental asterisk next to awards based on that fact. In a normal year Trevor probably wins the Heisman comfortably and Smith is like 4th in the Heisman voting. He’s an excellent player but also benefiting a lot from Bama playing something close to a full schedule against a pretty weak slate and not having any serious Covid issues.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
How is every sec team that isn't Vandy a weak slate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Because the sec is garbage