Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Remove 'don't make fun of us' cause its lame and instead tell IKs they can hell probe people from other forums that only turn up to make bad posts. Embrace the freedom and power that comes with being a FYAD-lite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Ok, well everyone seems to either hate this rule or not understand it's purpose, so what if we change it to something like, "don't be an rear end in a top hat who only makes bad posts or you'll get chainprobed"

twoday
May 4, 2005

the phone is ringing off the hook today

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

twoday posted:

Ok, well everyone seems to either hate this rule or not understand it's purpose, so what if we change it to something like, "don't be an rear end in a top hat who only makes bad posts or you'll get chainprobed"

don't change the rule. take a poo poo in a thread, you get flushed. bing bong

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

twoday posted:

i think people who hate it mostly hate it because it hinders behavior they'd like to engage in

but i'm always an advocate for loose rules, because tight rules invite rules lawyering and allow bad actors to shape their bad behavior to just skirt them, and because if there's a problem, dealing with bad modding is easier than dealing with bad modding compounded by bad rules

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
POSTERS BEWARE:

POST AT YOUR OWN PERIL

Rules don't actually exist and will be arbitrarily enforced.

Don't be an rear end and you won't be a target!

twoday
May 4, 2005

this is going pretty well so far

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

twoday posted:

this is going pretty well so far

i'm guessing five of those are cumshitter

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Dustcat posted:

i'm guessing five of those are cumshitter

4 orange ones cumshitter, 3 unknowns plinkey is my guess

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

twoday posted:

"don't be an rear end in a top hat who only makes bad posts or you'll get chainprobed"

oh finally shutting down cspam I see :smug:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I don't agree with everything the mod team does, but you guys been doing fine.

Please just find a way to stop the thread making GBS threads tho. If that means more IK's to handle specific threads like the pictures thread that seems to be targetted, then so be it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
the rule's purpose seemed clear to me, but the second line of it makes it seem less like a moderation thing and more like a "don't talk poo poo to me or my posters ever again" thing. threadshitting is annoying, because even if this is a shitposting subforum most of our threads tend to kind of have a topic that we vaguely keep to, and that topic isn't usually being an antagonistic prick (except the Succ Zone, where being antagonistic seems to be the point).

twoday
May 4, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

"don't talk poo poo to me or my posters ever again"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I don't agree with everything the mod team does, but you guys been doing fine.

Please just find a way to stop the thread making GBS threads tho. If that means more IK's to handle specific threads like the pictures thread that seems to be targetted, then so be it.

thread-specific iks are an unalloyed good. we have threads that have the people and post volume of entire subforums. if you notice a specific thread that needs dedicated iks, please let us know.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

how many reports are there for CSPAM per day or whatever?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

how many reports are there for CSPAM per day or whatever?

20 to 40, it's usually the most of any subforum besides D&D. A bunch of forums get one or two reports a month

(wistful sigh)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lmao that it is D&D that gets the most reports

twoday
May 4, 2005

Its hard to tell exactly, probably it’s us sometimes, depends on when mods/admins clear the queues

twoday
May 4, 2005

I think one of the worst parts of modding is having to use the word “queue” all the time, the spelling just doesn’t make any sense

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
the d&d numbers are skewed squeued by a lot of reporting sprees

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

are most reports for things that are actually hosed up or are a bunch just frivolous?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Plenty of serious stuff, but sometimes there are multiple reports for a single problematic discussion and that inflates the number. There is also plenty of stuff that is reported but doesn’t break any rule or seem serious enough to act on. Sometimes people will just use the report button to make a joke about a post somehow. Someone reported a gif of a cute puppy the other day with the comment, “take a short break from doing reports and check out this cute puppy.” Pictures of food which people don’t like are almost always reported.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

Pictures of food which people don’t like are almost always reported.

I love this stupid loving forum

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
make me an ik so I can ban anyone who reports posts, gently caress you narcs

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
iks can't see reports so you'd need some sort of network of tipsters

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

twoday posted:

I think one of the worst parts of modding is having to use the word “queue” all the time, the spelling just doesn’t make any sense

I just mash u and e after q until it looks right

kind of like twuemqrp

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Eox posted:

iks can't see reports so you'd need some sort of network of tipsters

admin then, whatever

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

this thread is an intel operation

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

twoday posted:

Plenty of serious stuff, but sometimes there are multiple reports for a single problematic discussion and that inflates the number. There is also plenty of stuff that is reported but doesn’t break any rule or seem serious enough to act on. Sometimes people will just use the report button to make a joke about a post somehow. Someone reported a gif of a cute puppy the other day with the comment, “take a short break from doing reports and check out this cute puppy.” Pictures of food which people don’t like are almost always reported.

a.lo's """food""" posts usually deserve it

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

a.lo's """food""" posts usually deserve it

I think it's a little unfair to belittle Swedish posters like this, they can't help their terrible food

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

my complaint about cspam mods is they don't probe often or for long enough

Mourne should have eaten a month the third time he came into the covid thread to drunkpost and harass women who aren't interested in him. sure, it was funny at first, but now it's just gross and kind of sickening, and imho that's when it's time to ramp up to a ban :fuckoff:

I used to be the kind of person who was really uptight about having clear-cut rules and not leaving things open ended lest people be punished for being unpopular. now I'm mostly of the opinion that moderation is less about rules in general than trying to foster a community with the vibe you want. a big part of that is just leading by example, but removing people who are a drag on that, either until they shape up or permanently, is also important. most people don't even read rules until they've broken one so who cares

another big part of being a good mod is taking poo poo without feeling tempted to use your powers to defend yourself like a tantruming child and c-spam mods and IKs seem pretty good at that in general. with some exceptions. I forgot where I was going with this. C-spam is pretty high strung and vulnerable, it seems like a hard forum to mod

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I forgot where I was going with this. C-spam is pretty high strung and vulnerable, it seems like a hard forum to mod

the postertariat shall not be denied

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Bearjew posted:

this thread is an intel operation

i have a amd

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

twoday posted:

The spelling makes perfect sense, the pronunciation however is completely hosed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
re-admin smythe

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What are your preferred fast food locations? I have an unhealthy addiction to Panda Express.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

how many phone calls have u gotten? are u gonna post the transcripts as they come in?

twoday
May 4, 2005

About 15?

Google voice is pretty bad at transcribing them, and it kind of ruins the surprise. So far they’ve mostly been pretty short. I’ll wait till we get more in before I release them.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I just mash u

excuse me but this is a family forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

Roth posted:

What are your preferred fast food locations? I have an unhealthy addiction to Panda Express.

I am a fan of FEBO, also known as “the wall of meat”