Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Look, my friend, I’m not sure if everyone is ready for how simple yet adorable this dirt bean update is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for creating Horticulture Tension fam, here’s a dirt bean update

The dirt bean is living in our post florida room that we are finishing up later this year. It’s gonna be so fuckin cute

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Organza Quiz posted:

Oh no! I only planted this one in December and it's doing great so far so hopefully it'll be fine for subsequent summers. It does get shade in the afternoon so maybe that helps.

What sort of temps are you talking? I wouldn't have thought grevilleas would be bothered by heat that much but I guess there must be varieties from colder parts of the country.

I think the max was 35 Celsius for a couple of days. It was originally a Bunnings plant, so it probably spent most of its life in a greenhouse down south somewhere. I bought it in winter and had it for 6 months before it died. cest la vie

huh fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 4, 2024

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

huh posted:

I think the max was 35 Celsius for a couple of days. It was originally a Bunnings plant, so it probably spent most of it's life in a greenhouse down south somewhere. I bought it in winter and had it for 6 months before it died. cest la vie

Ah yeah, I'm in Perth so we already had a ton of 35+ in Feb and it was fine. Came from a specialty nursery but I'm not sure where the variety is from originally, I just picked it up because it said compact and good for pots. I'm interested in picking up a groundcover type as well and seeing if I can get it spilling out of a pot.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That's a nice idea. I've got a native violet (viola hederacea) that is a ground covering plant but it's in a hanging pot, so it spills over the pot in a lovely way. Until I cut it last weekend it was hanging down about 1.5 metres.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

If it's on the way out anyway, no harm in pulling it out to see if you can do a long-shot remediation. If it's still rootbound it'd probably be pretty easy to remove.
I'll take a look. As it happens, one of our state reps is running an environmental program that will give every household in his district a free 3- to 4-foot bare-root sapling--white pine, white spruce, or red oak, our choice--if we agree to plant and care for it, so we'll be digging this one up sooner rather than later. (He carries on a grand tradition started by another state rep, who'd send every household a teensy little twig of a conifer, its roots wrapped in plastic and stapled to a flyer. They sure didn't look like much at the time, but ours now towers over the house.)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Help me save this hosed up fig tree! I was very cross to learn that in the previous season my family had paid (!) someone to prune the tree to save me the labor and they... completely botched it. Well, first of all, they pruned it in the wrong month, which is a mistake I had also made (at someone else's direction but I should've checked on my own) except I didn't prune it so poorly that the main trunks didn't grow back!

Well, anyway, here's some pictures. You can see those poor trunks. Hopefully someone knows the best way to go about this!

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

Woodpile posted:

Customer wants me to spread 18" of wood chip mulch over her entire 1/2 acre yard. Apparently this is permaculture. GOOD IDEA OR GREATEST IDEA?

A someone who teaches permaculture design, this is so completely wrong it's laughable. Unfortunately there is no shortage of all-or-nothing kooks, base charlatans, or rich hippy tryhards in the permaculture world. To the point where many people are turned away from what are actually very sensible and practical principles, especially in a suburban garden setting.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what is permaculture and why would someone think it requires 36" of wood chips

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
Simply put, permaculture is a design approach for sustainable living and gardening, integrating principles from ecology, agriculture, and design. It aims to create harmonious relationships between humans and nature, emphasizing principles like observation, diversity, and minimal waste. Permaculture systems strive to mimic natural ecosystems, promoting resilience, biodiversity, and self-sufficiency.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Help me save this hosed up fig tree! I was very cross to learn that in the previous season my family had paid (!) someone to prune the tree to save me the labor and they... completely botched it. Well, first of all, they pruned it in the wrong month, which is a mistake I had also made (at someone else's direction but I should've checked on my own) except I didn't prune it so poorly that the main trunks didn't grow back!

Well, anyway, here's some pictures. You can see those poor trunks. Hopefully someone knows the best way to go about this!

Ooof. I'd probably make my family buy me a new tree. I'm sure you can turn that into a productive fig tree but it will probably always look crazy. Not much of a centerpiece of a patio type of thing ... That sucks.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Those bigger ~1" diameter stems are the new main trunks. Just prune off all the little suckers around the base. If you want it to branch more, prune the tips of those main trunks off and they will grow out and branch instead of growing straight up.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Beardcrumb posted:

Simply put, permaculture is a design approach for sustainable living and gardening, integrating principles from ecology, agriculture, and design. It aims to create harmonious relationships between humans and nature, emphasizing principles like observation, diversity, and minimal waste. Permaculture systems strive to mimic natural ecosystems, promoting resilience, biodiversity, and self-sufficiency.

I'm confused as to how any singular part of this description or combination thereof would lead to wanting feet of mulch

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

indigi posted:

I'm confused as to how any singular part of this description or combination thereof would lead to wanting feet of mulch

I think the problem is that the client in question was of the opposite mindset of that, as in complete ignorance of how nature, chemistry, or biology work.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
"If I cover it with mulch, I won't have to mow, and it'll be permanent. Permaculture!"

On the other hand, I'd be happy to hear what is an example of a good starter-level permaculture setup for suburbanites?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
does anyone else have any dirt beans growing? you guys really like complicated rear end trees but I'm curious about dirt beans tyvm

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Those bigger ~1" diameter stems are the new main trunks. Just prune off all the little suckers around the base. If you want it to branch more, prune the tips of those main trunks off and they will grow out and branch instead of growing straight up.

The basic rule is that you want air to circulate through the tree after it's leafed out. That means that you prune out any branches that cross, remove small twigs, and in general get it to a state that you could throw a golf ball through. If it were me, I'd take out all the stuff that is growing sideways at the bottom; I strongly suspect they're growing from the rootstock rather than from above the graft. If you look at the bottom of the stem and see a bulge a few inches above the ground, that's the graft. Anything sprouting below there is trash, and risks the rootstock taking over from the plant you actually want.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

huh posted:

That's a nice idea. I've got a native violet (viola hederacea) that is a ground covering plant but it's in a hanging pot, so it spills over the pot in a lovely way. Until I cut it last weekend it was hanging down about 1.5 metres.

Cute! One day I will get around to organising hanging pots but ground pots will do for now.

Here's what I've got growing on my balcony:

I planted them all right before it got super hot because that's just the time I had brain available to organise it but they've all survived the summer pretty happily. So if you're looking for a grevillea that won't mind being thrown into 40+ temps I can recommend this one.

I'm especially excited about the King's Park Royale kangaroo paw, I bought it when flowering was already finished so if I can keep it happy until spring I'll get gorgeous red/purple flowers.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Wow, that scaevola is pretty. A quick search tells me most of those pictured are native to south Western Australia. I holidayed in Perth for a couple of weeks once but didn't have the appreciation for plants that I do now. I plan on going back over one of these days. It is so exciting to see the difference in bushland and gardens in other Aussie states.

And I just yesterday bought a new grevillea. Specifically because it is supposed to flower year-round, and I have a lot of honey eaters around here that love them. Random photo of what it is supposed to look like.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lovely! Grevilleas are so cool, I never realised how varied they can be before I started looking in to growing them. My mother's had a standard grevillea (ie grafted onto a tree trunk) for many years and the birds and bees both love it.

I probably don't need to say this but make sure you do King's Park if you do come over this end of the world, they have a fantastic botanic garden.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Discussion Quorum posted:

Lord help this woman when she finds the pee fertilizer people (if she hasn't already)

Shut your mouth. Anyway, in a couple of days permaculture lady is in my rear view. Thanks, thread, for letting me vent a bit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lord help this woman when she finds the pee fertilizer people (if she hasn't already)

lol just wait until she starts making her own night soil

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Ooof. I'd probably make my family buy me a new tree. I'm sure you can turn that into a productive fig tree but it will probably always look crazy. Not much of a centerpiece of a patio type of thing ... That sucks.

Nah figs can handle this kind of thing. Two years of smart pruning and you won't know this tree was all hosed up.

I would largely follow the advice above: keep the largest 2-4 as new trunks, head them off at the desired height, and grow out the scaffolds. Figs fruit on new growth (not the previous year's growth, like apples and peaches/plums), so before the tree wakes up every spring, prune the hell out of it back to those scaffolds.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

it were me, I'd take out all the stuff that is growing sideways at the bottom; I strongly suspect they're growing from the rootstock rather than from above the graft. If you look at the bottom of the stem and see a bulge a few inches above the ground, that's the graft. Anything sprouting below there is trash, and risks the rootstock taking over from the plant you actually want.

I would take them out because they're useless for fruiting and look really freaky (none of my figs have ever run along the ground like that, wtf) but figs are usually on their own roots. Most figs just sucker like crazy.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Also, that looks like it might actually be three trees given how far apart those old trunks are. Did you plant it yourself, or did it come with the house?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It came with the house decades ago and I think it's three trees, yeah. I pruned it yesterday, thanks for all the advice. I didn't shorten any of the good growth though, didn't see any advice on that or through a Google search. I'll take some pictures this afternoon and post em up. Thanks for all the help!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You're lucky. It's the perfect time of year for pruning.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Cheers, I looked it up this season. It had been getting pruned in early autumn previously! Despite that we've gotten plenty of ripe, tasty fruit. Last season was a dud, though, presumably due to the hackjob (I will never get over this).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I would take them out because they're useless for fruiting and look really freaky (none of my figs have ever run along the ground like that, wtf) but figs are usually on their own roots. Most figs just sucker like crazy.

Fascinating! What does "scaffold" mean in pruning?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The scaffolds are the permanent parts of the tree's structure. The fruiting wood grows from the scaffolds and gets pruned off as it is spent, so that the tree can keep regenerating fruiting growth without getting too tall or shading out the interior.

Here is a graphic that is reasonably representative of how fig trees often look (as opposed to a nice neat apple tree with a central leader): https://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/pub/pnw400

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Speaking of fig trees, I just had to cut mine back to just a few inches above the ground, for the second year in a row. They bounced back pretty great last time, but like, I really hope I don't have to do this every year. I do want them to actually be, like, trees at some point.

I had actually forgotten until looking at my own post history that we had an early frost in November that I was unable to prepare for. I covered them during winter, but maybe that was enough to do them in. I dunno. Hoping for the best next year.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
hi thread. Ill post pics soon but I have some questions about my existing plants, all sourced from big box stores. golden pothos, a "common ivy", a ZZ plant, snake plant, a ruby rubber fig plant, a swiss cheese monstera.

something in common with all these, from what i understand, is that they're newbie friendly dont don't require direct light, which is nice, because my brightly lit room has no direct light coming in. but my question today is regarding watering.I had an initial batch of plants that I neglected to water because I was scared of making the mistake of overwatering. trying to correct this overcorrection, im now a little worried about how much I should be watering them. various plants-101 guides ive read say things along the lines such as: a deep watering sparingly done is better than frequent tiny watering, wait till the soil dries out completely. are these applicable to the plants I currently have? is there a danger of watering them too much during that "deep watering"? My ZZ plant is doing well, but the soil seems to be completely dry now. im scared of soaking it outside, putting it back in its container, then the water never evaporating/getting absorbed indoors because there's too much of it or something.

i'm probably overthinking it but I'd like this round of plants to survive this time.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Overwatering is about watering too often or not having enough drainage, not putting too much water in the pot. You should definitely water if it's completely dry all the way through. Otherwise some plants like to be watered only when totally dry and some plants like the soil to still be a little damp.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Beardcrumb posted:

Need to come up with a name for the kooks. Borkiculture or something. I only know a little about permaculture and I even knew she was heading for disaster. Beyond the carbon/nitrogen imbalance, so much raw wood chips fucks with the microorganisms. She had been neglecting her property for at least a year and a half (no mowing, trimming, occasional hand waving at the weeds) in the name of permaculture. Anyway, she had fired her last guy due to " lack of communication". Probably because he told her not to put 18" of chips in her ditch. Over the culvert. Water meter. I am currently fixing all that poo poo. I have many stories about this one.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
turdiculture

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
She gonna have so many mushrooms at least

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Proper flowers!! Well done grevillea

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That's a nice one.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
m'dirt bean

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I have a peace lily from my grandfather's January 1998 funeral that's somehow still hanging in there. This thread helped me bring it back from the brink when I unwittingly overfertilized it a while back, and it's reasonably okay now. I water it when it droops and it perks right up, and I pull out/trim away anything brown/dead.

What originally had been a bunch of lily clumps happily crammed into a pot are now fewer in number, though, as some clumps gave up the ghost for good recently. Others are looking a little wobbly. There's still new growth here and there, though.

Should I downsize the pot, maybe give them fresh potting medium while I'm at it? Or would that be too much of a shock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

What originally had been a bunch of lily clumps happily crammed into a pot are now fewer in number, though, as some clumps gave up the ghost for good recently. Others are looking a little wobbly. There's still new growth here and there, though.

Should I downsize the pot, maybe give them fresh potting medium while I'm at it? Or would that be too much of a shock?

They're usually pretty bulletproof as long as they're getting water regularly. Unless your previous repotting was multiple years ago the soil in the pot is probably just fine. The issue with having too big of a pot generally is that it will retain too much moisture because there isn't enough plant to make use of it, so if you've seen signs that they're rotting or something like that, definitely downsize.

Even if that's not the case, it should be fine to put them in a smaller pot if you do it gently. If you're getting serious about repotting something and you're going to split stuff apart or otherwise significantly disturb the roots it's going to be taxing for the plant, but if you're going to just grab a wad of dirt with the roots inside of it and change the pot that sits in the plant isn't going to care much.