Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I got my first plant, a money tree, from Ikea on April 2, so it's been 4 months:

Ikea said I didn't need to repot for a year but this is looking kinda sus:

Also it's at an angle:

The current planter is 9.5". Should I get a 12" or something bigger? Do I need a liner like the plastic one my money tree came in or can I just buy some potting soil and throw it in something with a drainage hole and tray and call it a day?

A couple months ago, I tried looking for a larger planter that fit my decor and wasn't a million dollars and this 16" for $40 from Home Depot seemed to fit the bill:

But it's plastic (maybe not a problem?) and in reality the wood was unfinished and dirty looking. Plus I can't fit a tray for the drainage hole but maybe at that size I don't need one, especially since I only water my plant with 1L of water once a week?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Whys it on a chair? Teabagging a less fortunate trees corpse
I couldn't find a planter stand I liked so this was a temporary solution. Target does have this marble side table for $90 that I think would be a good permanent option, I just haven't bought it yet. It's 20" tall and 19.5" wide so should accommodate any larger planter I'd get:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 31, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MasterBuilder posted:

Rotate that boy to straighten him out.
I rotate him 90* every week. The uneven growth displayed in the photo is the result of taking a 2 week vacation.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For my first house plant, I bought a money tree from Ikea 12 months ago. It came in a plastic liner with a few drain slots. I placed this inside a 9.5" terracotta pot which has a central drain hole and drain tray.

The tree has grown a ton and it's definitely time to repot it. I think it's probably okay to use the current terracotta pot, at least for now, but I have a few questions.

1) Do I need to find another plastic liner or can I simply repot the money tree in the terracotta pot? It feels like finding a larger liner could be difficult, especially since the terracotta pot has sloped sides.

2) What do I need for repotting? Should I just get planter mix from Home Depot? I've heard that I should try to flush the new soil with hot water to kill any fungus/microorganisms, but I worry that might also flush out the nutrients. I chose the money tree because it's cat safe and low maintenance, so I'm looking for the low maintenance solution.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mad Hamish posted:

I'd also wonder what kind of money tree. I would assume something like Pachira aquatica but it sounds like another guy a few posts up thinks of Crassula ovata (Jade plant). Common names for plants can be very confusing! Either way I think you'd be ok potting it up into the terra-cottage pot. If it's growing and happy then you're probably doing something right.

If it is a jade plant then a grittier, sander potting mix would be good but tbh all of my jade plants have been in regular potting mix and they've been more or less ok.
It's pachira aquatica. Some of the leaves have developed brown spots, presumably from recent overwatering. I had been doing 1L every 2 weeks and then in Feb/March went to 1L every week for some reason. Back to 1L every 2 weeks, and I also rotate it 90* when I water.

Here's a photo from 12 months ago when I brought it home from Ikea:

And a photo from today. I obviously did not keep up with the braiding :negative:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

It's pachira aquatica. Some of the leaves have developed brown spots, presumably from recent overwatering. I had been doing 1L every 2 weeks and then in Feb/March went to 1L every week for some reason. Back to 1L every 2 weeks, and I also rotate it 90* when I water.

Here's a photo from 12 months ago when I brought it home from Ikea:

And a photo from today. I obviously did not keep up with the braiding :negative:

I grabbed this 6 qt bag which has volcanic rock: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-6-Qt-Tropical-Potting-Soil-Mix-71276430/318258532

The terracotta pot is about 10” in diameter and 10” tall. If we say I fill the soil to 8”, that’s (5^2)*pi*8=628 cu in or 10.3 qt. I hope 6 qt will be enough to repot accounting for the root ball and existing soil that I’m apparently not supposedly to dislodge.

They do also sell this 8 qt moisture control: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-Moisture-Control-8-qt-Potting-Soil-Mix-75578300/204502216

This 8 qt cactus palm mix: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-8-Qt-Cactus-Palm-and-Citrus-Potting-Soil-Mix-72078500/204502296

And this 10 qt all purpose mix: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-...79920/318485769

Even though the Miracle-Gro says it only has 6 months of nutrients, the bag talks about repotting annually—will I be okay not repotting for a year?