Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Jestery posted:

Watch this space I'm Gunna grow wine caps

I'm doing that too, plus some shiitake in logs hopefully. Got oak branches and oak chips in abundance around here after a nasty ice storm. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Queen Victorian posted:

Do you have a way to deliver slow drip deep waterings? We ended up buying some tree gators last year (water bags that wrap around the tree and have pinhole openings in the bottom). That might help. Also maybe pruning dead branches to encourage new growth? Not sure if that would help a tree in that much stress/the process of dying. Also might mess up shape/spread longer term if it does survive. If I were in your shoes I'd try to get them to send a new tree. As for planting window, we planted a bunch of trees (including an 8' Stella cherry) in early June and it was fine.

And I've got a tree question of my own: our coral bark Japanese maple that we planted last summer has noticeably thinner foliage than it did this time last year.

Pic from yesterday:

Pic from this time last year (plus or minus a couple days):

Not sure if it's from a cooler spring with some late hard frosts, over/underwatering (probably 45g/week via tree gator when not raining all the time), needing nutrients, still establishing and focusing on root growth, not liking clay soil, or what. :ohdear:

Or maybe it's changing its growth pattern because it's in the ground where it can spread out its roots and is no longer confined to a burlap sack like it presumably was for the previous ~15 years? I did notice a lot of elongation of outer branches happening in the early spring. Leaves themselves and the crown look good. Maybe it's the same amount of foliage but the branches are longer and spread the leaves more so foliage looks thinner? This is the first large specimen tree transplant I've dealt with.

Other trees we planted (cherry, crabapple, and dogwoods) seem very happy and healthy.

I'm not an expert but I much prefer the current look of your tree. Looks healthier to me now that's its thinned a bit. I bet it was getting heavy fertilization at the nursery.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Windmill palms look like they might be a good option. They're supposedly cold hardy down to about 0F and obviously handle heat fine, and the leaves look like they'd offer some decent shade.

I'm in Oregon and our palm tree is one of the only sources of shade in our yard. It's nice but I think they're pretty slow growing.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

Anyone ever successfully germinated an avocado pit before?

I tried putting one in a bag with a damp paper towel in a drawer, but it wound up growing some mold before the root could emerge.

Tried again tying some twine around the pit and suspending it over a container of water. This was in lieu of the toothpick method you see on the internet. It's got a light crack, but no root yet.

I have no aspirations of producing fruit. We just eat a lot of avocados and I wanted to add one to my dozens of houseplants.

The pits we keep throwing in the worm bins germinate just fine and also don't really break down. Guess we should stop throwing them in there... the worms freaking love mango seeds though.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

Are these spurges? I’m 90% certain based on the flowers(?) at the top but I’m not certain. Would love to add a phenotypically different euphorbia from my usual, and it’s “cup of coffee” cheap

Thanks! When it rains it pours I guess :toot:

Those ain't flowers, those are pups. See the roots coming off some of them. Can't remember what that plant is but it might be a type of Kalanchoe.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Kenning posted:

That is actually a matter of hot debate among succulent nerds. Strictly speaking there's no such thing as a correct pronunciation of botanical Latin, but that's no reason not to argue about it

Yeah if you ask three biologists how to pronounce a latin name you're gonna get three different answers. It doesn't matter unless you can't even understand the word (which does happen pretty often).

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I bought a couple things at the arboretum plant sale yesterday :3:

Yikes! Halloween is over already!

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

LibCrusher posted:

I’m planting out 1/2 acre of hazelnut trees as a start to a hobby orchard in the Pacific Northwest. I need help with irrigation design. Anybody here knowledgable about that? Or know someone who is? I’m happy to pay for professional assistance. PM me your rates!

Better start calling them filbert trees or your gonna get some grief! If you're in Oregon at least...

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I dunno, looks pretty dark plus you have some sort of shadow demon in there...

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Those pot prices are nuts... at my local nursery (which is admittedly awesome) I've bought monster 2 foot tall and like 18" wide at the top nice glazed pots for 60 bucks. gently caress that 175 poo poo...

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I'm with you on the arborvitae, poo poo is everywhere and always looks scragglier than that spruce to my eye. That tree doesn't look bad to me but this is your home (your wife's) so do what makes you guys happy.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

If you're gonna swap pots why not just put them in the ground? Same amount of disturbance. Everything I've had in pots has been waay happier in the ground.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I was gonna say rhodie since they seem to love the clay in the pnw. Hydrangea maybe? There are lots of fun kinds beyond the blue/purple puffballs.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I did wine caps but wasn't too crazy about them so haven't kept up on the maintenance. I just broke up the spawn and added 3 inches or so of wood chips on top. Think they were just free chips from the city after an ice storm.

Put them in my shady side yard area.
Watered occasionally during the summer but it's plenty wet here in western Oregon otherwise. Plenty of mushrooms but the slugs get to em pretty quick and I didn't love the texture. I'm spoiled by the foraged mushrooms around here though.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

My slugs like hostas.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Kinda looks like worm poop

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Not an expert but that looks like mechanical damage, any chance a mower or something hit it?

Either way, not much you can do if it is a fungus and I think most insect related stuff is focused on prevention of infestation, not removing it.

I'd just provide the tree with what it needs to be healthy generally, enough water and a balanced fertilizer.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I blasted like half the bark in a ring off a young loquat with my weed whacker and it just kept trucking on. At least your tree will most likely be fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Help me save this hosed up fig tree! I was very cross to learn that in the previous season my family had paid (!) someone to prune the tree to save me the labor and they... completely botched it. Well, first of all, they pruned it in the wrong month, which is a mistake I had also made (at someone else's direction but I should've checked on my own) except I didn't prune it so poorly that the main trunks didn't grow back!

Well, anyway, here's some pictures. You can see those poor trunks. Hopefully someone knows the best way to go about this!

Ooof. I'd probably make my family buy me a new tree. I'm sure you can turn that into a productive fig tree but it will probably always look crazy. Not much of a centerpiece of a patio type of thing ... That sucks.