Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Josh Lyman posted:

For my first house plant, I bought a money tree from Ikea 12 months ago. It came in a plastic liner with a few drain slots. I placed this inside a 9.5" terracotta pot which has a central drain hole and drain tray.

The tree has grown a ton and it's definitely time to repot it. I think it's probably okay to use the current terracotta pot, at least for now, but I have a few questions.

1) Do I need to find another plastic liner or can I simply repot the money tree in the terracotta pot? It feels like finding a larger liner could be difficult, especially since the terracotta pot has sloped sides.

2) What do I need for repotting? Should I just get planter mix from Home Depot? I've heard that I should try to flush the new soil with hot water to kill any fungus/microorganisms, but I worry that might also flush out the nutrients. I chose the money tree because it's cat safe and low maintenance, so I'm looking for the low maintenance solution.

You can put it in the terracotta since it's got drainage! For repotting, if you can find some perlite to mix into the planter mix that would be preferable, since that keeps your soil from bogging up too much. If you can find succulent/cactus compost mix then great, but if not it's not the biggest deal. And you don't need to flush the soil! I never have and I have a bunch of healthy crassula, succulents and cacti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU