Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Chairman Capone posted:

Anyone remember the news about the Mandalorian video game in development that was leaked less than two weeks ago?

Don’t worry, it’s already been cancelled!

I'm fairly sure the leak was to try and generate hype to save it from cancellation but everyone just reacted with a collective shrug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This year is going to be a really bad year for gaming. They have no real big releases planned, so to show growth over last year (which was a pretty good year), everyone is just laying people off. The last couple of days had massive layoffs from Playstation and then EA. It's gonna be rough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

One thing I think is hilarious is that the reason Han and Lando fell out kept slipping backwards in the EU. The ESB explanation is hinted that it was over Han winning the Falcon. Then Crispin came in and made it about Han taking the blame after Bria ripped off the smugglers he got together for her. Then there was a comic where it was over some treasure they were both hunting. Then Scoundrels comes out, and it’s set between ANH and ESB, and Zahn has Lando mad about getting ripped off on a heist gone wrong. There certainly could be a multitude of reasons for them falling out but it’s always made out as the conclusive reason they’re not speaking to each other.

Zahn also has Kell Tainer meet Han, while Iron Fist or Solo Command establishes that they’ve never met before.

I think in Zahn's original trilogy he sticks with Lando being ticked over Han winning, but specifically that Lando had been secretly upgrading the Falcon on the side when he also had a bunch of like yachts and fancy small ships so he figured Han would pick a flashy lemon but actually got the secret hot rod.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thrawn527 posted:

This year is going to be a really bad year for gaming. They have no real big releases planned, so to show growth over last year (which was a pretty good year), everyone is just laying people off. The last couple of days had massive layoffs from Playstation and then EA. It's gonna be rough.

EA also sounds like its just focusing on internal IP stuff, so my guess is dead space 2 remake this year or earlier. The only games ill probably pick up are the assasins creed red/japan and maybe that star wars games, plus smatterings of weird small stuff. everything i am interested gets delayed or gets hosed to death by stupid trends. like I liked suicide squad alot but the mission structure was bleh at best. not gotham knights level lovely but gently caress. alot of companies are chasing stupid loving trends or missing with sequels and i am just kinda bored with it. idk, id love some new star wars games, i have always been kinda meh with jedi series, id love something more grounded.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 29, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

EA also sounds like its just focusing on internal IP stuff, so my guess is dead space 2 remake this year or earlier. The only games ill probably pick up are the assasins creed red/japan and maybe that star wars games, plus smatterings of weird small stuff. everything i am interested gets delayed or gets hosed to death by stupid trends. like I liked suicide squad alot but the mission structure was bleh at best. not gotham knights level lovely but gently caress. alot of companies are chasing stupid loving trends or missing with sequels and i am just kinda bored with it. idk, id love some new star wars games, i have always been kinda meh with jedi series, id love something more grounded.

Yeah, I'm interested in Assassin's Creed Japan, but I really didn't like Valhalla or Mirage, for opposite reasons, so I'm wondering if I'm just over it. Star Wars Outlaws looks fantastic, can't wait for it. I was originally interested in Suicide Squad, and then I saw footage of it, and that's not my kind of game.

Other than that, I'm really not interested in any games coming soon. Last year was a good year for games, but the near future is looking bleak.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I'm interested in Assassin's Creed Japan, but I really didn't like Valhalla or Mirage, for opposite reasons, so I'm wondering if I'm just over it. Star Wars Outlaws looks fantastic, can't wait for it. I was originally interested in Suicide Squad, and then I saw footage of it, and that's not my kind of game.

Other than that, I'm really not interested in any games coming soon. Last year was a good year for games, but the near future is looking bleak.

same but it plays way way better and has genuin good game feel. what sucks is there is alot of good ideas and fun stuff, its barely a GASS, its more borderlands/division 2/hell divers 2, then avengers or whatever. the biggest issues that hosed it were conroy dying(because its clear there was gonna be way more stuff post game with bats) and the mission designs is like 5 missions at most. same with the last two ac games and i can't wait for outlaws. Ubisoft for all its many many issues, makes very fun adventure games and such.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same but it plays way way better and has genuin good game feel. what sucks is there is alot of good ideas and fun stuff, its barely a GASS, its more borderlands/division 2/hell divers 2, then avengers or whatever. the biggest issues that hosed it were conroy dying(because its clear there was gonna be way more stuff post game with bats) and the mission designs is like 5 missions at most. same with the last two ac games and i can't wait for outlaws. Ubisoft for all its many many issues, makes very fun adventure games and such.

See that's just it, I'm not really a looter shooter game fan. I was hoping for a more Arkham game since it's from that studio and in that canon, but when I saw it was going to be a Borderlands style game (albeit third person), I passed. It seems like it's a decent game in that style, but just not for me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

See that's just it, I'm not really a looter shooter game fan. I was hoping for a more Arkham game since it's from that studio and in that canon, but when I saw it was going to be a Borderlands style game (albeit third person), I passed. It seems like it's a decent game in that style, but just not for me.

ususally i am not either but yeah makes sense.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm fairly sure the leak was to try and generate hype to save it from cancellation but everyone just reacted with a collective shrug.

i do think people want a star wars FPS. its just who knows.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ususally i am not either but yeah makes sense.

i do think people want a star wars FPS. its just who knows.

Well, they could just go back to the classics.

https://youtu.be/3ndr_cPvwvo?si=LYDZFyLIJCpkFcJF

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thwomp posted:

Well, they could just go back to the classics.

https://youtu.be/3ndr_cPvwvo?si=LYDZFyLIJCpkFcJF

Respawn specifically said that Dark Forces was a big influence on the project. Real shame they ended up subservient to EA. Not going to be shocked if whatever project they dumped this for ends up being garbage that bombs. The reason there hasn’t been a new Deus Ex game since Mankind Divided 8 years ago is that Square Enix decided to put all their eggs into an Avengers game. Everyone ended up hating it, it’s been delisted from every storefront, and nobody ever talks about it. Another win for MBA-Brained morons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Respawn specifically said that Dark Forces was a big influence on the project. Real shame they ended up subservient to EA. Not going to be shocked if whatever project they dumped this for ends up being garbage that bombs. The reason there hasn’t been a new Deus Ex game since Mankind Divided 8 years ago is that Square Enix decided to put all their eggs into an Avengers game. Everyone ended up hating it, it’s been delisted from every storefront, and nobody ever talks about it. Another win for MBA-Brained morons.

whats funny is half the reason mankind divided was hosed was because it was originally way longer but square wanted another one so lol the game got split in half or thirds depending on the telling. square basicaly canned tons of games because they didnt sell like call of duty. that being said. Guardians of the galaxy game is genuinly very very very good and you can pick it up cheap.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has Aspyr managed to accomplish anything with their star wars game re-releases where they don't flub it in some way?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arc Hammer posted:

Has Aspyr managed to accomplish anything with their star wars game re-releases where they don't flub it in some way?

They somehow removed the option to invert the y-axis, as basic setting that was in the original games and has been in essentially every shooter ever.

So yeah, I can’t even play right now :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

It is weird that the switch port is somehow the best one

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At least on keyboard you can invert the controls by putting "pitch up" on the Down key and "pitch down" on the Up key, which also affects mouse movement

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Aspyr also seems to have issues with just stealing fanmade mods to use in their games. Kit Fisto and Asajj Ventress had unique animations in the original BFII, but when early mods tried to get them working with the PC version of the game, they had to essentially turn them into alternate skins for other characters (though they've since gotten the characters working correctly). The Classic Collection release uses that older mod for the characters rather than Aspyr actually doing the work themselves to implement them properly (or stealing the more recent mod).

Then there was the KOTOR II DLC debacle, which was cancelled because a "third party" objected to them releasing a pre-existing fanmade mod as part of a commercial product.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I mean, that matches well with the Marvel artists just stealing fan art too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Robot Style posted:

Aspyr also seems to have issues with just stealing fanmade mods to use in their games. Kit Fisto and Asajj Ventress had unique animations in the original BFII, but when early mods tried to get them working with the PC version of the game, they had to essentially turn them into alternate skins for other characters (though they've since gotten the characters working correctly). The Classic Collection release uses that older mod for the characters rather than Aspyr actually doing the work themselves to implement them properly (or stealing the more recent mod).

Then there was the KOTOR II DLC debacle, which was cancelled because a "third party" objected to them releasing a pre-existing fanmade mod as part of a commercial product.

yeah. apperently they were tossed off the Kotor remake, now saber is working on it. along wth space marine 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhQcRdDqGDw

Haven't played through KOTOR 1 in a few years but this came across my feed today. Younger me who dislikes Carth would've agreed with Jolee because he's a fun old codger getting one over on the whiny dude. Current me looks at Jolee and says "you're kind of an rear end in a top hat and your line of thinking is the exact same long-term view that has repeatedly doomed the Jedi Order to failure." Taking the long view to the point where it paralyzes you in the present is the way that can lead to more tragedy through inaction. Telling someone that their war isn't any more or less important than other conflicts years or centuries apart is probably little to no comfort to the people who lose everything in the present conflict, especially a guy like Carth who has already lost his family and his homeworld.

It's funny how Jolee left the Order for very good reasons and yet his alternative to a broken system is the same type of inaction that leads to further tyrants standing unopposed. He has power as a Jedi, he could make a difference, and yet he sat on a stump at the bottom of Kashyyyk for years rather than do something. At least by the time of KOTOR he's doing something but it's more that it was thrust on him by the narrative hand of fate/Force than by his own volition.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

This is technically a comics question, but this is probably the best place to ask it, especially since it involves the High Republic book, which I know is a cross-media setting.

I haven't followed Star Wars in comics since the property left Dark Horse, but I usually read the solicits when I'm prepping my comic orders, just to see what's going on. I noticed the latest issue mentioned a Jedi named Keeve Trennis. Sounded like a main character, so she's probably in the novels too. The name immediately jumped out to me as a Karen Traviss analog. Not all the same letters, and I know Travis was a Jedi hater, but that's what popped in mind.

Is this just me seeing shapes in clouds, or is there some kind of in-joke?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
No connection as far as I'm aware. I don't think any of the High Republic braintrust have any connection to that time period of Star Wars publishing either. Almost all the new and rotational authors have been brought in post-Disney acquisition.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Luchacabra posted:

This is technically a comics question, but this is probably the best place to ask it, especially since it involves the High Republic book, which I know is a cross-media setting.

I haven't followed Star Wars in comics since the property left Dark Horse, but I usually read the solicits when I'm prepping my comic orders, just to see what's going on. I noticed the latest issue mentioned a Jedi named Keeve Trennis. Sounded like a main character, so she's probably in the novels too. The name immediately jumped out to me as a Karen Traviss analog. Not all the same letters, and I know Travis was a Jedi hater, but that's what popped in mind.

That's hilarious, but I don't think there's a connection either. But yeah, the name definitely looks close. Maybe a one-off reference by one writer for fun?

Also, is there a Star Wars comics thread? I don't think there is, so feel free to ask questions in here. I didn't include comics in the OP, mostly because I haven't read many (basically just a few of the new Vader line), but this is as good a place as any to ask.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There is a comics thread, but it hasn't been posted in since 2022.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3716084

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

There is a comics thread, but it hasn't been posted in since 2022.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3716084

Wow, I like that OP so much that, if I didn't know any better, I'd think I ripped off portions of it (and the general tone) for this OP. But I swear I've never seen it before.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I'll bump that thread, I've been more or less trying to keep up with their current Star Wars lines.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The only comic I kept up with was Doctor Aphra and even that didn't quite have the zing on its fastball that it did when Kieron Gillen wrote it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Luchacabra posted:

It's probably just a coincidence. The High Republic stuff had a big author summit when they kicked it off where they came up with a bunch of the characters and their long-term arcs. This allowed them to actually reference Trennis as a historical figure before she actually appeared in any published stories. She was specifically mentioned as a member of the Lost Twenty, so it seems like her character was one of those things that was developed fairly early on and had a lot of people's input - so if her name was a jab at another author, it would have required a lot of people to give it the okay.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Digging around in my garage today I finally found the box of books that contained the best EU books*. Yes I found the entire 5 book Aaron Allston wraith series. (Starfighters of Adumar counts)

*I moved into my house a while ago but am renting out my basement to my best friend for like 30% of local rental price. Lot of my poo poo in in storage still

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Allston, it's fifteen years ago today that the last big EU series began with Allston's Fate of the Jedi: Outcast.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Geez, time flies. I was initially hopeful that they’d do something better after LOTF, but a few books in I was back to reading them out of spite.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Robot Style posted:

The High Republic stuff had a big author summit when they kicked it off where they came up with a bunch of the characters and their long-term arcs.

I'm sorry, planned arcs? Creator coordination?? In Star Wars??? :psyboom:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look we tries letting creators do one-off star wars specials with the Visions volumes but we just ended up with a lot more Jedi-Story-But-X

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Casimir Radon posted:

One thing I think is hilarious is that the reason Han and Lando fell out kept slipping backwards in the EU. The ESB explanation is hinted that it was over Han winning the Falcon. Then Crispin came in and made it about Han taking the blame after Bria ripped off the smugglers he got together for her. Then there was a comic where it was over some treasure they were both hunting. Then Scoundrels comes out, and it’s set between ANH and ESB, and Zahn has Lando mad about getting ripped off on a heist gone wrong. There certainly could be a multitude of reasons for them falling out but it’s always made out as the conclusive reason they’re not speaking to each other.

I will grant I did get a tremendous laugh out of the exchange between those two in Solo - "I hate you." "I know". Now THAT is how to make a proper reference joke :D.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ChrisKempshall/status/1778464360697897080

there's more pages viewable in the Amazon listing

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I cannot wait for this book.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I wish all the stuff in the footnotes was real.

I also greatly appreciate there are footnotes :black101:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i am happy that its like an actual book. alot of the guide books so far are just DK reprints OR 32 page books for 40 bucks.

fartknocker posted:

I wish all the stuff in the footnotes was real.

I also greatly appreciate there are footnotes :black101:

i liked those too. i liked the imperial one because it was amusing bullshit.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

That looks awesome, I almost wish they went one more step and left Kempshall's name off the cover and just had Beaumont Kin's there. Or at least had both their names on the cover.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Teek posted:

That looks awesome, I almost wish they went one more step and left Kempshall's name off the cover and just had Beaumont Kin's there. Or at least had both their names on the cover.

It's not that hard to make custom book covers nowadays

Get a white ink pen and scrawl in Kin's name yourself for that authentic feel, perhaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Has anyone read John Jackson Miller’s new pre-TPM novel yet?