Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Han Solo Trilogy is not The Han Solo Adventures. Which one are we getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arquinsiel posted:

The Han Solo Trilogy is not The Han Solo Adventures. Which one are we getting?

The good one.

No not that one, the other one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The one that has the the treasure of Xim.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Crispin’s trilogy isn’t bad, at least in terms of the EU. But it is written at a more YA level that’s annoying as an adult, plus it pre-references too much 90s EU stuff. Got to give those completely forgettable characters Han knows from The New Rebellion extended cameos.

One of the biggest complaints about Solo is it went and crammed every throw away line Han gave about his backstory into one movie. I agree. But then I went and reread most of the trilogy and Crispin does the same thing, but there’s so much more of it as there were 6 years worth of EU novels to mine material from.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

One of the things George Lucas was trying to do with A New Hope was to emulate the feeling of watching a foreign film, and to make a movie that wasn't just about another society, but was actually made by one. And the movie itself straight up tells the audience at the start that it's a work of fiction and brings them up to speed on the story thus far.

And I think Solo kind of works on that level - it's not an accurate portrayal of the true life events of Haniel J. Solo, it's an in-universe biopic designed to capitalize on the man's recent death.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I never had a problem with all of Han’s backstory crammed into one movie, but then again I was never bothered by all of Indiana Jones’s backstory crammed into one 15-minute train ride in ‘The Last Crusade’ either.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Last Crusade is funny because the prologue is the exact kind of thing that other prequels get slagged for but it's also one of the best parts of the movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1760308314448015663?s=20

I think I just passed out.

quote:

Up to 64 player online multiplayer will be available + all bonus content unlocked including Kit Fisto and Asajj Ventress.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 21, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dies it include XL mode.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The original two Battlefront games were good for their time but hardly magical. When the DICE games came out you had all these idiots aping the each other about how the originals were better out of blind nostalgia and it got old.

Xenomrph posted:

I never had a problem with all of Han’s backstory crammed into one movie, but then again I was never bothered by all of Indiana Jones’s backstory crammed into one 15-minute train ride in ‘The Last Crusade’ either.
Now is that just really well done or have I just unquestioningly accepted it because it’s part of my childhood? I’d lean towards the former.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Casimir Radon posted:

Now is that just really well done or have I just unquestioningly accepted it because it’s part of my childhood? I’d lean towards the former.

At the time it was fairly novel, and it's also treated as more of a joke than anything. Solo expects you to ooh and aah when Han gets his hands on the dice or gun or last name or whatever, but it's supposed to be funny when young Indy takes up the whip for the first time and immediately hurts himself with it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Casimir Radon posted:

Sounds to me like you have an excuse to re-watch the best Indiana Jones movie. :hfive:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

The original two Battlefront games were good for their time but hardly magical. When the DICE games came out you had all these idiots aping the each other about how the originals were better out of blind nostalgia and it got old.

I only really played the first DICE game, so I can only speak to that one, but while the graphics were better (because obviously they were), the originals actually were better in almost every other way. The DICE version removed whole game modes. First off yes, single player. But also things like Conquest mode, which was my favorite way to play. I don't remember what else I didn't like about it, because I stopped playing it and didn't think about it much sense then. I want to say flight combat wasn't even in space at launch, just planet bound? Which is weird for a Star Wars game, especially when it was a big part of BF2. DICE Battlefront was basically, "Battlefront with better graphics, but with a bunch of stuff removed". And I dunno I'd rather have the old stuff back. And that's before getting into the whole loot box thing.

I know DICE BF2 added a single player mode, which is good, but did they add the other game modes from the older games back, too?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Walker Assault was more fun than anything the first two games had. But it could be not fun if your team was idiots treating it like death match and not doing the objectives. I played well over 100 hours.

They got rid of that mode in the second game and I played a lot less.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the star wars mod for battlefield 1942 was better than any of the official versions imo

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I wonder if they are gonna modify some aspects that we because it came out around ROTS that later got revamped. Like changing the republic bomber from the vwing to a ywing or something.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I think the DICE Battlefront II is decent (and its singleplayer is absolutely better than the 2005 BF2 singleplayer), but when the 2015 Battlefront came out there was no question that it was a huge gameplay step back from the Battlefront II that had come out a decade earlier.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bf2 has comp stomp multiplayer but no galactic conquest. The problem is that it's missing a bunch of features, but also original battlefront is clunky as poo poo and the AI is incredibly bad

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

ninjahedgehog posted:

At the time it was fairly novel, and it's also treated as more of a joke than anything. Solo expects you to ooh and aah when Han gets his hands on the dice or gun or last name or whatever, but it's supposed to be funny when young Indy takes up the whip for the first time and immediately hurts himself with it.

It's also only like fifteen minutes. I think no matter what the "Han... Solo" line would be cringeworthy, but if that was the last time they had done that sort of thing it would be easily forgettable. But after that you also get, from memory: why Chewbacca has a nickname (???), where Han gets his blaster from, why he shoots first (I did like this one), why Threepio complains about the Millennium Falcon talking weird in one line of dialogue from ESB, what the Kessel Run was all about, how he met and fell out with Lando, etc.

The dice thing is especially stupid since they're only in a single shot from ANH (presumably because somebody noticed they would be distracting) and their usage in TLJ isn't relying on them being a thing that the viewers associate with Han. It's Luke associating them with the absence of Han that makes them work, and that would have still worked even if that was the first time it had been established that Han had some dice hanging up there. You could just as easily used like a Sy Snootles bobblehead on the dashboard or something.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One thing I think is hilarious is that the reason Han and Lando fell out kept slipping backwards in the EU. The ESB explanation is hinted that it was over Han winning the Falcon. Then Crispin came in and made it about Han taking the blame after Bria ripped off the smugglers he got together for her. Then there was a comic where it was over some treasure they were both hunting. Then Scoundrels comes out, and it’s set between ANH and ESB, and Zahn has Lando mad about getting ripped off on a heist gone wrong. There certainly could be a multitude of reasons for them falling out but it’s always made out as the conclusive reason they’re not speaking to each other.

Zahn also has Kell Tainer meet Han, while Iron Fist or Solo Command establishes that they’ve never met before.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Casimir Radon posted:

Walker Assault was more fun than anything the first two games had. But it could be not fun if your team was idiots treating it like death match and not doing the objectives. I played well over 100 hours.

i liked walker assult because it was the star wars version of opperations mode from bf1 which is probably one of my favorite modes ever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

One thing I think is hilarious is that the reason Han and Lando fell out kept slipping backwards in the EU. The ESB explanation is hinted that it was over Han winning the Falcon. Then Crispin came in and made it about Han taking the blame after Bria ripped off the smugglers he got together for her. Then there was a comic where it was over some treasure they were both hunting. Then Scoundrels comes out, and it’s set between ANH and ESB, and Zahn has Lando mad about getting ripped off on a heist gone wrong. There certainly could be a multitude of reasons for them falling out but it’s always made out as the conclusive reason they’re not speaking to each other.

Zahn also has Kell Tainer meet Han, while Iron Fist or Solo Command establishes that they’ve never met before.

I like the idea that its just a bunch of poo poo that happened and you will never get a clear answer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

I'll give you that, Walker Assault was a lot of fun, and ended up being the only way I played the game.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Clearly Chewie used to be Lando's best friend, then Han and Chewie started hanging out more and became besties. Lando felt left out and stopped hanging out with them. That sly "How you doin' Chewbacca?" was loaded with meaning.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

It's a real shame that BF 2015 wasn't particularly good, because I don't think any other Star Wars game has ever nailed the aesthetic of the original trilogy nearly so well. It's the only one I remember where blaster bolts exploded into ridiculous showers of sparks on contact, and all the blasters are clearly WWII surplus with bits bolted on.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rochallor posted:

It's also only like fifteen minutes. I think no matter what the "Han... Solo" line would be cringeworthy, but if that was the last time they had done that sort of thing it would be easily forgettable. But after that you also get, from memory: why Chewbacca has a nickname (???), where Han gets his blaster from, why he shoots first (I did like this one), why Threepio complains about the Millennium Falcon talking weird in one line of dialogue from ESB, what the Kessel Run was all about, how he met and fell out with Lando, etc.

Also the movie ends with Han and Chewie heading off to meet Jabba.

I was kind of surprised that Solo didn't also include Maz Kanata since TFA establishes that Han and Chewie have a longstanding history.

Rochallor posted:

The dice thing is especially stupid since they're only in a single shot from ANH (presumably because somebody noticed they would be distracting) and their usage in TLJ isn't relying on them being a thing that the viewers associate with Han. It's Luke associating them with the absence of Han that makes them work, and that would have still worked even if that was the first time it had been established that Han had some dice hanging up there. You could just as easily used like a Sy Snootles bobblehead on the dashboard or something.

From what I remember, the reason the dice are such a big deal in TLJ is because when Johnson saw early footage of TFA, there was a scene of Han hanging the dice back on the Falcon when he gets it back (which also raises the question of why he had the dice with him when the Falcon was stolen). That scene was then cut from the final version of TFA.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Casimir Radon posted:

I miss early on in BF2015’s life when the A-wing was insanely overpowered and I could just zoom and boom and the only way I’d die was if I crashed. It made walker assault as the Rebels a lot of fun, just strafing constantly and shredding the Imperials as long as your team on the ground wasn’t completely awful (And on certain maps, you could almost single-handedly hold choke points). It was glorious.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

thrawn527 posted:

I know DICE BF2 added a single player mode, which is good, but did they add the other game modes from the older games back, too?
They added Ewok Hunt which is literally the best thing ever.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arquinsiel posted:

They added Ewok Hunt which is literally the best thing ever.

Ewok Hunt is simultaneously hilarious and terrifying. Hilarrifying, if you will.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, one of my best experiences in it was getting separated from my squad of Stormtroopers and coming at their location from a weird angle, so they ended up lighting up the bushes I was in. It was a great moment of "haha they are so scared!" followed by "oh gently caress, they're shooting at me".

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, one of my best experiences in it was getting separated from my squad of Stormtroopers and coming at their location from a weird angle, so they ended up lighting up the bushes I was in. It was a great moment of "haha they are so scared!" followed by "oh gently caress, they're shooting at me".

The best bit is the Ewoks have access to a horn they can blow which serves no gameplay purpose other than to gently caress with and freak out the stormtroopers.

loving brilliant, 11/10 game design

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It is *so satisfying* to blow the horn and watch all the flashlights jitter around in panic in the distance. It's why they put a cooldown on it, you'd laugh yourself to death if they let you just spam it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://x.com/ChrisKempshall/status/1761031115656048928

I do love me a good in-universe reference book.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dang, that's going to be an interesting read.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay fine I'll read a nu-EU book

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh hell yeah.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Looks right up my alley. Probably going to be the first Star Wars book I've bought since The Art of TROS.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Seems stupid to release that pre-Andor season two, one of the few shows that actually concerns the subject matter but whatever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ok thats dope. Ill buy that and the probable audio book. I love in universe stuff in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Anyone remember the news about the Mandalorian video game in development that was leaked less than two weeks ago?

Don’t worry, it’s already been cancelled!