Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
You're gonna namedrop the backstab chart but not actually link it in the OP? That thing belongs in a museum!

Also, I'd highly recommend tossing Bloodline in the OP if for no other reason than it gives a good overview of the political state of the galaxy in the lead-up to the Sequel Trilogy, something that TFA only glosses over in vague detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I like Kyp a lot as being one of a very small handful of characters that goes dark and then comes back to the light to speak about and teach on his experiences. Much more valuable than Redemption Via Death

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cessna posted:

Any good books on the rise of the First Order?

(Don't hate me for asking this.)

Bloodline gets into it a bit. Less the First Order themselves and more the state of the galaxy that led to the ability for them to rise.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Aaron Allston then did a really confusing thing in one of his late-EU books where he brought back Stele as a close friend of Lando, which made no sense.

Not a friend, just someone he called in a favor from

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jazerus posted:

the strangest thing about the later parts of the legends EU was how time, effectively, didn't pass for most characters. han and leia's kids, and everyone else of their generation, are perpetual teenagers in their thoughts and behavior, and scenes like that slipped through as though even the editors had forgotten that tahiri wasn't still a teen. not that it would be acceptable even if she was, but it would be moderately less awful. luke, han, and leia, meanwhile, seem to have taken an immortality serum around age 55 (at the latest) and are of course still bumping around adventuring and saving their silly kids

There was an interview I remember reading over on TheForce.net from someone involved in the old Legends stuff--I don't recall if it was an author or a publishing person or what, but they addressed that very issue in a surprisingly frank manner. Han, Luke, and Leia--or Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padmé--sell books. Random characters that originated in the books didn't, even if they're descendants of those characters or something. The Big Three almost always had to be the leads, becuase that was how you got a book into the hands of someone who only looks at the cover or only reads the blurb. They got around it from time to time with a gimmick like "but this one has zombies!" (And even that had Han and Chewie show up) or something, but it was The Protag Show first and foremost. Big multibook series helped a bit--get them hooked in the first couple books and people come back to see the ending, but then when that series ends, they always had to do a bit of a time skip and some manner of reset to status quo.

Anything that deviated from that mold had to have something justifying it. The republic commando books launched with a video game tie-in, for example. It's honestly a minor miracle how much the NJO was allowed to gently caress up the galaxy...but then there's a soft reboot going in to LotF where only the barest lipservice is paid to the Vongforming of Coruscant and the like

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Something that takes some internalizing is that the target audience is the bored browser of the shelves, or a grandparent looking for the title "Star Wars" to give as a gift, nothing more. Those of us who a dying for breadth and expansion of the universe are secondary at best when it comes to the marketing folks. The authors themselves are likely are more interested in stories like that...but when you're working in someone else's sandbox, you gotta take the story briefs you're given

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Uh no, those authors deserve every ration of poo poo too.

For franchise work, they often are handed and premise and have to write to it, and everything they do is subject to the whims of the license owner. Yes, they should strive to tell a good story, but I'm not gonna fault them for "always using the film characters" or "always setting things right around A New Hope" or whatever

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Slashrat posted:

They did later retcon Vergere into secretly having been a Sith all along though, basically labeling everything Traitor was about as evil.

Someone somewhere got really really cranky about the Jedi moving away from a strict dichotomy of Good Or Evil, so Vergere middle way got not-so-quietly revised

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Jedi Lost is really good! But yeah, the play is better than just reading the script

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gripweed posted:

Dooku "aced lightsaber class". That's an exact quote, he aced lightsaber class. loving hell the prequels really sucked all the mystery and magic out of the Jedi. Lightsaber class, Jesus Christ. What was Jedi homework like?

"My ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" Do you agree or disagree? minimum 5 pages, 12 pt font, Times New Roman, single spaced. Include a cover page and a works cited page.

Yes - the Prequel Era Jedi were missing the point of their own religion - that's.....kinda a thesis statement of the entire era.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I've never been sure how much of that is Lucas' intent for the prequels and how much is other authors taking a childish black-and-white morality play and giving it some depth, and Lucas grabbing onto it like it was his idea all along.

Lucas has repeatedly stated that the core arc of the galactic-scale plot of the prequels is how a democracy surrenders to fascism -- thr moral and spiritual guardians of that democracy losing their way and becoming less righteous and more self-righteous absolutely fits that story.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I guess I'm trying to picture Qui-Gon having a conversation with Bendu, and all I can hear is Tom Baker laughing incessantly while Liam Neeson grunt-sighs in frustration.

That's just how talking to Tom Baker tends to go, yeah

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
A certain subset of nerds is gonna be Big Mad about Light of the Jedi -- all three Weird Hyperspace Things introduced in the sequel trilogy get used

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Thwomp posted:

The Holdo maneuver, Light Skipping, and what else?

approaching a shielded thing at Lightspeed to revert to real space inside the shields

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've purged so many homophobes from my twittersphere that I kinda didn't even think about anyone reacting to a Star Wars gay couple haha, but yeah, some people are probably equally mad about that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

The High Republic stuff makes me feel old, because this is the first big "EU event" that's happened that I just don't have time for and it already feels too overwhelming to get into. This must have been what old-school OT fans felt when the NJO came out.

Can you (or someone else) explain this a bit more?

Really the "main storyline" is gonna be just like NJO, a series of novels. So far there's only one big novel out, so it's perfect to get in on the ground floor

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gripweed posted:

Are the Jedi in that era allowed to experience love?

The ban on romantic attachment is still in place, but the first novel ends with one of the lead, Avar Kriss, and her old temple crush sharing a quiet moment and speculating if maybe the ban is a bad thing so I think the series is gonna poke at the concept a bit

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I mean it's not like ramming something at or near to Lightspeed is this unknown thing prior to TLJ. We see it in Clone Wars, Han talks about the risks of a badly aimed jump in ANH. The nerds making GBS threads themselves over TLJ are mostly just performatively mad

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty much. The only reason TRoS felt the need to call out in dialog thst it was a wild one in a million chance was to placate those who were still turbo mad about it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Roth posted:

I may just not be far in enough but I don't understand if the Nihil are supposed to have a coherent ideology or if they're just as lazy as the Reavers in Firefly.

This gets addressed as the book goes on

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, when Abrams got brought in to replace Trevorrow, they didn't want to move the release date again at all. Which, is honestly for the best. Imagine if TRoS had been delayed til May and then delayed indefinitely due to covid? And then a year+ late we finally get to see it and it's....that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
A hyper radicalized group of malcontents who are being manipulated by their leader for his own selfish ends? Didn't realize they were literally just Republicans

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If I recall, it was to do with the surname Sunrider, as in Nomi Sunrider from some of the old KotOR era comics, and there being a Jeep model by that name

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sunrider_family

It's a wiki, so grain of salt, but there's a quote from the head of Lucas licensing about it not being a myth

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rochallor posted:

Imagine where we'd be if the Disney buyout hadn't happened and the books were still dealing with octogenarian Luke, Han, and Leia. Would we have seen a continuity split by now? I'd have to say almost certainly, since nobody on the novels side was interested in dealing with the Legacy stuff. Or they could have just erased it away, since time travel definitively exists.

My guess is that they would start doubling back and packing even more stories into already existing eras. Legends, especially latter-day Legends, was completely allergic to spending too much time not focused on The Big Three or Clone Wars Gang. So other than an occasional spin off, everything of consequence was going to focus on Han, Luke, and Leia forever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If Traviss had just made more Republic Commando books, or the "Mandos in the New Republic era"/"Boba becomes Lord Mandalore" plot had been a separate side series I would have been so much happier. I honestly really liked the characters, and the perspective of groups that hated the Jedi but weren't just dark side users of various stripes, but forcing all that into an ongoing plot just didn't work

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

T___A posted:

Found someone on Tiktok that says she was named after Jaina Solo.

Probably not the same one, but one of the hosts of Star Wars Beyond the Films named his first daughter Jaina.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dapper_Swindler posted:

since the ps4/switch port got announced for republic commando. i am curious how the books are. i bought hard contact for cheap but how are the sequels?

Karen Traviss is one of my favorite Star Wars authors....when she stays off in her own little Mando themed corner. The RepCom books are all real solid, but you have to be willing to go with the fact that everyone who is a POV character REALLY HATES JEDI and is a ride or die Mando lover

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I was pretty pissed off because it was super obvious in TFA that Rey was supposed to be a Skywalker all along, like they all but put it in neon. Then Rian Johnson hit and they had to retroactively make her a Skywalker via Palpatine like Anakin.

Abrams and Kasdan never signposted Rey as being related to anyone in particular. It was a signature abrams style hollow mystery box where the answer to what's inside was Somebody Else's Problem.

Johnson went the character-first route of "what's the hardest thing Rey can hear about her family?" For Luke, it was "this guy who I thought killed my father, and my mentor, turns out to actually be my father." Rey didn't have any knowledge or preconceived notions about who her family was, she just wanted to know who they were, and why they left her, and how she "fits in". So the hardest thing she could hear is "they're nobody. Just randos. Sold you off for drinking money. Sorry kiddo".

It was a focus on telling the story of Rey, not putting Rey's journey on a mirror to the OT with a Big drat Reveal at the heart of the second installment.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
On a different note--the Mandalorian original novel got cancelled

https://twitter.com/delreystarwars/status/1369332524288212997?s=21

Cynically, I wonder if it's because Cara Dune was going to be a major character in it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The problem was that the main guy pushing that message was the antagonist who was depicted throughout as confused, torn, and ultimately mistaken. Even within TLJ itself.

Like that was even Luke's arc, being pushed back towards not rejecting the wisdom of the past amidst all the failures.

Rey found her own answers regarding her parents before she ever spoke to Ben about it. He filled in some details, but is was her visionquest in the cave that started telling her "your parents aren't anyone special. You are just you, just Rey. Figure out your own destiny"

E: Ben and Luke both had different ideas about how to "not let the past define you". Ben wanted to burn it all down and rebuild from the ashes. Luke wanted to bury it all, never to be spoken of or built from at all. They were wrong in their methods, but not in the base principle. Rey was the one that was getting to the idea of synthesizing past knowledge and future growth in harmony

jivjov fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 9, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, especially with Episode IX telling us Palpatine is fundamentally immortal, and the war is continuing for another cycle, there's gonna be some Big Thing post 7-9 -- be it a Sequel-er trilogy, a big capstone episode X, something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think sheeve is dead. Ian McDiarmid isnt getting any younger(though him being dead don't mean poo poo as we have already seen) i think it will be some other dark side threat they start building up in the other shows and poo poo.

TRoS very explicitly doesn't bother differentiating Sheev's "death" at Exegol from his "death" at Endor. By opening up the idea that "blowing up his physical form doesn't actually kill his spirit/essence/consciousness" and not resolving that in any way, they're just setting us up for The Immortal Emperor. Even if Ian stops coming back to play the role, TRoS also sets up the idea of him being able to body hop into someone who murders him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Lando's objections to Han being frozen in ESB, and Vader's own dialog, refer to the "crude" and industrial nature of the equipment, not the procedure itself. Like trying to perform surgery with kitchen cutlery rather than a surgical suite and proper tools

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Humerus posted:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this in a major way but the Rogue Squadron movie is going to be post episode 9, isn't it? They said it was leading into a new era for Star Wars.

That's what we've heard so far. So either First Order mop up, or whatever the next enemy in the forever war is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I guess I got tripped up by internet speculation--I retract my certainty about timeline placement

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

No joke, legit, thank you for admitting you may have been wrong. It happens so rarely these days. With everyone.

At this point I'm just trying to track down what gave me that certainty. I had similar incorrect feelings about High Republic being 400 years BBY

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

My only real complaint about the High Republic so far is how thickly they lay on “We are all the Republic”. This is the least screwed up the galaxy has ever been in a story, at least on the surface, but they overdid it a bit knocking the point home.

Keep in mind that the entire HR story ins a three act structure. I think the cracks will start to show as we move into Phase 2

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They keep trying to make a younger kids show. realizing that people are getting really deep into it, turning up the stakes, and then starting the cycle over with the next show. I would have loved to see further seasons of Resistance just see where they'd take that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'll dissent and say that Resistance is still fun and worth watching (especially if you've got kids or younger siblings), but it definitely is and remains a kids show for both its seasons.