Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

T___A posted:

I wonder how the EU would've integrated Ahsoka if the Disney buyout didn't happen. Spend decades in a Vong prison a la Darth Krayt?

They had about a ton of "somehow escaped the Jedi purge" characters back then, she'd just be one more in the flood really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Xenomrph posted:

One of my other complaints with the NuEU is how everything feels too tightly knit; the old EU took the shotgun approach and had a ton of disconnected plots and planets and ships and characters who were only tangentially related to each other because Han/Luke/Leia ended up encountering them. It made the Galaxy seem bigger, with more varied stuff in it (especially the old West End Games stuff, which was all over the place). Only once there was, like, decades of EU built up did things start to cross over or get mentioned across multiple stories in order to remind readers that it was one big galaxy, and it culminated with the NJO acting like a victory lap for the whole thing.

Yeah, I still think my favorite WEG supplement ever was Fragments From the Rim, which was literally a random shotgun of various setting things. Stuff like the in-setting equivalent of the Onion mocking the hell out of everyone (I particularly liked the bit about them having reviews of Imperially banned rock groups written under the name "Ars Dangor, Advisor to the Emperor" a la a name of a particularly arrogant Imperial character from other supplements) didn't have much to do with the Rebellion or Empire or any of the grand stuff from the movies or books, but it certainly helped make the Star Wars galaxy FEEL like an actual huge galaxy with tons of wild stuff going on just off-screen from what we got to see. Admittedly West End Games was writing an RPG and knew it, so some of the design of the universe they did was very much focused on "here's stuff for adventurers to do" (I always loved that they just KNEW there were going to be Rebel parties that would come up with insane yet somehow successful plans to do stuff like steal multiple Star Destroyers and the like, and designed a department in the Rebellion where they tried to corral all these mad bastard geniuses, point them in the right direction then stand back out of the blast zone) but still by default they had to come up with a lot of basic "this is how everyday life" works stuff too since you'd have players who would wonder about what band might be playing in the cantina, or what the equivalent of the local supermarket was, and similar. Because they had to accommodate players who would cheerfully run around doing drat near random things, they had to think broad (and include a bunch of potential plot hooks), which worked out very well in the end for the universe worldbuilding, while Disney seems to kind of go with a less scattered approach which doesn't come up with as many interesting ideas because of the tighter focus. Not that I haven't seen good worldbuilding in the Disney stuff, but it tends to not show enough of the off-camera things compared to the old canon. Though old canon was getting a little creaky from the overload by the end, and had its own issues (too much focus on the main SW characters doing everything in the novels, for one).

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arquinsiel posted:

That checks out.

Also gets trolled into near-rage by Thrawn in one of the audiobooks based on the Dark Forces game(s) as I recall, though he had the decency to recognize and respect Thrawn for pulling it off.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Which is the one where Jedi Corran goes up against I think Tycho Celchu in the simulator and gets schooled on why the Force can only do so much for you and at some point skill matters?

That was "I, Jedi", and it was real world (he was undercover as a pirate when Rogue Squadron attacked said pirates). The book made it very clear he had to work hard for his survival, yeah, I think he at least partly won (i.e. survived) because he knew how the Rogues flew if memory serves.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Dawgstar posted:

A reminder that Tarkin was such an exceptional lover Daala never bothered with sex again. "After him, fantasizing had been enough."

I do like that the new canon actually heavily implies Tarkin is homosexual (or at least bi) in one of the "Certain Point of View" stories; I can definitely buy him being turned on by all those Strong Men in military uniforms going by the rest of his behavior.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arc Hammer posted:

We've been ambushed by a Sith battle fleet! The Endar Spire is under attack! Hurry up - we don't have much time!

On the flip side of that mood-wise, just standing around in Manaan and vibing to the soundtrack is one of my all-time favorite chill moments in gaming even today. Was delighted to repeat the experience when the planet popped up again in the Old Republic MMO with the developers wisely re-using the same theme, though you never got to really linger on the planet there.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arc Hammer posted:

Best part is that you can thank the Tuskens for telling you the story of their people by having HK-47 translate your apology for killing their tribesmen and stealing their clothes. HK thinks this is a wonderful idea which tells you something.

"Warming blasters: combat is inevitable".

Cross-Section posted:

She does also make a reappearance (probably her most substantial one too) later on when you kill Tenebrae for realzies no-take-backs but yeah, Drew Karpyshyn should be in the Hague

Oh yeah, didn't remember that for some reason.

General Battuta posted:

Stover can can write a god drat fuckin action scene. His action is almost TOO good for Star Wars. The bit at the beginning of Shadows of Mindor where Luke's flagship gets suicide bombed is so raw, the jungle fights in Shatterpoint are right out of Apocalypse Now, it's almost too good for the gee whiz clone wars droid army stuff. On screen Star Wars action is always fun, Stover wants it to hit a little harder.

Not just the action, the Revenge of the Sith internal Anakin dialogue was brutal. "This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker. Forever..."

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

yronic heroism posted:

To the point (posted by someone earlier) that Qui-Gon has less foresight than Obi-Wan, maybe, maybe not. The Jedi’s downfall is tying themselves to the Republic. You could write Qui-Gon type Jedi as using Deus ex living Force to avoid all that: “The Force is telling us to be wandering monks working its will through good deeds but withdrawn from the political struggles that the Republic will have to figure out for itself.” No insight into Sith intrigues required if you’re removed from the intrigues. Of course then we’d have a very different set of movies.

I always thought it was kind of clever that for all the Jedi warned about attachment that they suffered from having a huge one to the Republic. Had they not been seen as just a tool of Republic leadership they might actually have been able to mediate between the government and the nascent Separatist factions; instead the prequels make it pretty clear they're seen as the fist of said government when they show up. Qui-Gon to me felt like somebody who could deal with attachments not by fleeing them but by knowing how to truly let go of them, rather than be terrified he might grab one. He was a "rogue" element because he was able to detach himself from the rules when the rules didn't do the right thing. That skill in being able to detach rather than just avoid attachment would certainly have done Anakin well if he had learned it (he was certainly a little late to avoid all attachment like a Jedi raised from birth). Also probably gave Qui-Gon a head start on the appearing after death thing to be able to release himself from the basic attachments to life/identity most Jedi probably had without even recognizing them as attachments.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Hemp Knight posted:

He had me up until the Ackbar bit too, the bastard!

Admiral Ackbar can recognize getting involved with a married woman is a trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Casimir Radon posted:

One thing I think is hilarious is that the reason Han and Lando fell out kept slipping backwards in the EU. The ESB explanation is hinted that it was over Han winning the Falcon. Then Crispin came in and made it about Han taking the blame after Bria ripped off the smugglers he got together for her. Then there was a comic where it was over some treasure they were both hunting. Then Scoundrels comes out, and it’s set between ANH and ESB, and Zahn has Lando mad about getting ripped off on a heist gone wrong. There certainly could be a multitude of reasons for them falling out but it’s always made out as the conclusive reason they’re not speaking to each other.

I will grant I did get a tremendous laugh out of the exchange between those two in Solo - "I hate you." "I know". Now THAT is how to make a proper reference joke :D.