Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Something kind of interesting I found recently - it turns out Rise of Skywalker had concept work done for World Devastators, in case anyone thought that the idea of Palpatine's clone wasn't directly lifted from Dark Empire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Palpatine building his new empire by literally eating up the remnants of the old works great (as well as tying in with the Scrapper Guild concept from Fallen Order, which actually, now I wonder if that was kind of a spinoff from this ditched IX idea.)

Humerus posted:

So the book Resistance Reborn is supposed to be a direct link between Episodes 8 and 9, and that planet from the beginning of Fallen Order features pretty heavily in it. I'm convinced (with no actual evidence) that the author, Rebecca Roanhorse, was working with an early Episode 9 draft (maybe even Trevorrow's) because the book doesn't really match up to the movie at all. Books take a long time to publish so I'm guessing it was done long before JJ changed everything.

This may have been true. One of the early ideas that Abrams and Terrio had for Episode 9 was that the First Order would be defeated by the people that they threw away. Finn's stormtrooper rebellion was supposed to include a group of First Order washouts who had been sentenced to work on a junk planet (perhaps Bracca), and had learned about a consistent weakness in all the downed FO ships which allowed them to build a device that could shut down their fleet.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They also probably didn't want to be forced adapt whatever would be at that point in the timeline. If you're trying to hire writers and directors to make the first new Star Wars movie in a decade (and the official sequel to the movies they grew up with), telling them they have to adapt the Dark Nest trilogy is really going to get a lot of talent backing out of the project.

Lucas' own treatments totally ignored the EU, and I'm guessing the video game version of Episode VII that Lucasarts was working on prior to that would have only used it as a starting point as well (allegedly it would have starred Ben Skywalker as the playable character).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Speaking of no plan. It really feels Disney has none for post-Episode IX stories and that's why they decided to do The High Republic since they have a clean slate in that time period.

I feel like that's on purpose. There's no way we're not going to see Episode X somewhere down the line (they'll trot out Lucas' old "12 Episodes" thing to justify it), and they're not going to want another canon reset, so Episode 9 is going to be the endpoint for the galaxy until the next trilogy.

It's the same reason we're never going to see Bothans again - they don't want to step on the toes of a hypothetical Rogue Two (not Zev).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

You joke but there actually was an idea during the writing of Rogue One to have both Cassian and Jyn survive by being frozen in carbonite and crashing into Coruscant with the goal that they could then be thawed out for more adventures after Return of the Jedi.

That's actually two different endings John Knoll was thinking about when initially pitching the movie.

One with Coruscant:

John Knoll posted:

Jyn and Cassian lead a team that steals the Death Star plans, and escape Scarif on a Rebel ship. In hot pursuit is Darth Vader, whose ship keeps attacking them even after multiple jumps to lightspeed. Soon, they’ve taken so much damage, they realize they aren’t going to make it.

“And the last jump they do, they try to get lost in the traffic that’s around Coruscant,” Knoll said. “It’s a giant cloud of ships. Ten-thousand ships coming and going and they’re trying to get lost in that traffic but they don’t make it. There’s still an hour’s flight away from Coruscant and their ship gets damaged.”

Jyn and Cassian realize if they don’t get the plans off the ship, the whole mission has failed. “So they discover that Leia’s ship has just taken off from Coruscant and is on its way to its diplomatic mission to Alderaan,” Knoll said. “They know that she’s secretly working for the Rebellion and they risk blowing her cover by transmitting the plans to her ship with the hope that this transmission won’t be detected but Vader’s ship.”

Obviously, it is detected, but Jyn and Cassian realize that whether Vader catches Leia’s ship or not, they will inevitably be tortured for information by the Empire and could reveal the Rebellion’s secrets, potentially leading to its destruction. So the two Rebels decide to blow up their ship with them on it.

And one with Carbonite:

John Knoll posted:

Then I had a version of it where the Cassian character, originally, was a double agent. He was a spy planted by the Empire into the Rebellion. And over the course of the mission he becomes aware that the Death Star actually is a real thing and it’s not just propaganda. The Empire really built it, intends to use it and its only purpose is a genocide weapon. He realizes a lot of what he’s been told is a lie and that he’s been on the wrong side. So he switches sides to the Rebellion and he realizes he can let everyone live.

They’ve got a carbon freeze bomb on the ship and the idea is that he forces everyone into the airlock. “I’m going to set this off and you’re all going to survive.” He sort of times it with one of the hits from Vader’s ship so he blows up the ship and sets off this carbon freeze bomb and everyone is frozen. Then on Vader’s ship they detect no life signs and they think everyone’s dead. And they’re like, “Where’s that ship the plans were transmitted too?” and they go. So I was going to leave our heroes out of the picture. It’s why they don’t show up in Empire or Jedi — they’re stuck in carbon freeze.

Of course, John Knoll's a VFX guy and not a writer, so when Lucasfilm hired Gary Whitta to turn the pitch into an actual movie, they went with a different, but still happier, ending:

Gary Whitta posted:

After Jyn and Cassian stole the plans, they ran across the beach (a shot seen in early preview footage) and a Rebel ship dropped down to pick them up. Once in space, Leia’s ship met up with Jyn and Cassian’s, but with Darth Vader’s Star Destroyer in pursuit. They transferred the data to Leia’s ship just as their ship was destroyed. However, as the first shot of A New Hope happened in the back of the frame, a small escape pod ejected from the destroyed wreckage, indicating Jyn and Cassian had survived.

But they decided that if saving the characters was going to be this convoluted and require so many hoops to jump through, it's probably best for the story if they don't survive.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

T___A posted:

I wonder how the EU would've integrated Ahsoka if the Disney buyout didn't happen. Spend decades in a Vong prison a la Darth Krayt?

The EU would've gotten torched regardless. Lucas was putting together his Sequel Trilogy as incentive for the sale (and was initially planning on making Episode 7 before selling the company), so they never would've gotten the chance to incorporate her. There was also an Episode 7 video game on the table at some point, so that's three different potential Sequel Trilogies that would've had to wipe the slate clean.

If none of them happened though, she might've featured in the live action Underworld series they were trying to get off the ground, and eventually been killed by Vader (unless Filoni still got the chance to fanfic her into a time hole to save her).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I wonder if this will be about Keeve Trennis leaving the Jedi, which was hinted at in the Dooku audiobook.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They also changed the spelling of the planet (It used to be Wayland). It probably wasn't intentional, but definitely suggests that they were thinking of the company from Alien when they were writing the location into the episode.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Shame Boy posted:

I never did read the pre Force Awakens stuff but i imagine circumstances surrounding this old Resistance is far more interesting then how it came about in the new canon

Those books never dealt with it at all - all of the backstory for how the First Order and Resistance came about was developed by Rian Johnson and Claudia Gray for Bloodline.

Basically the way it shakes out is that since the New Republic has a bunch of Imperial-aligned worlds in it, half the Republic is in the pro-fascist party (called Centrists) and half the galaxy is in the anti-fascist party (called Populists). When the First Order starts poking around the outer rim (where the Republic doesn't have much stake anyway), the Centrists are like "Let's see how this plays out - the Empire had some good ideas".

The Populists can't really stand up to the Centrists to do anything about the First Order, since half of that party are Libertarian star systems that think there shouldn't be a Republic at all and are just aligned with the Populists because at least they don't want to bring the Empire back.

Then Space Fox News outs Leia as Vader's daughter, and she's basically kicked out of office and starts the Resistance on her own since:
  • Half the galaxy is fascist anyway
  • Of the half that's not fascist, half of them don't even want a galactic government
  • Most of the remaining 25% hate her guts

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

TFN seemed like it had a lot of hyper-religious dorks who saw the world through a pretty whacky lens.

I don't know about hyper-religious, but one of the TFN weirdoes I knew from back then suddenly dropped off the face of the earth one day, only to reappear 7 years later after spending time in jail for crossing state lines and sneaking into a 14 year old girl's house to gently caress her.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's too bad (but also good because it would've inevitably been awful) that Legends never really got around to exploring the period of time where the whole galaxy just became Warhammer 40k for a while.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chronosynclast posted:

The second book, City of the Dead. Remember that guy who hassled Luke in Mos Eisley Cantina, saying he had the death sentence in twelve systems? He figured out how to make zombies. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Cornelius_Evazan/Legends

He's still at it in the Disney Canon, though his "mindless servants" are a little more literal:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Forget Zorba - the show still hasn't revealed the requisite Star Wars Child character that the protagonist grows to love over the course of the season. And since Boba's taking over the rest of Jabba's estate, then there's only one possible option...

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently that one was named Borgo.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Though the particular story of how he got his armor changed between the page and the screen, and Lucasfilm's position on discrepancies like that seems to be "it's all fake anyway so just pick the version you like better".

https://twitter.com/missingwords/status/1258990922387214336?s=20

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Legends continuity has the benefit of hindsight, where anyone can pick and choose the best stuff (or the stuff that interests them) from 30+ years of stories and ignore the rest. The current EU is still growing, and it's kind of hard to define what exactly that entails. Does Rogue One count as Expanded Universe? Does The Mandalorian or Bad Batch? If we're just sticking to the classic EU branches of comics, novels and games, then Legends has the modern stuff beat just by sheer volume meaning there's going to be a few standout pieces no matter what.

There's also a lot of things that are at least comparable in content or subject matter between the old and new stuff, and while the newer stuff has a higher level of polish, it's borrowing from the stories it is for a reason.

• Thrawn Trilogy >> Rebels & Ahsoka
  • Boba Fett's post ROTJ return >> Book of Boba Fett
  • Tales of the Jedi >> High Republic
  • Shadows of the Empire >> War of the Bounty Hunters
  • Dark Empire >> Rise of Skywalker
  • Dark Forces >> Rogue One
  • Jedi Knight >> Fallen Order
  • X-Wing / TIE Fighter >> Squadrons
  • Tales From... >> From a Certain Point of View
  • Star Wars Tales >> Star Wars Visions
  • KOTOR >> KOTOR Remake
  • Republic Commando >> Bad Batch

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

On a different note, I just recalled that Aftermath had a bit where the Sith cultist talked about how Palpatine learned that the origins of the Sith's power came from a planet in the Unknown Regions. After Rise of Skywalker came out, this seems pretty clearly like an idea for Exegol was being seeded, and made me wonder how long in advance that part of the sequel plot had been around, especially since (at least from what I remember) there's no Exegol type planet in Treverrow's draft.

Based on the dates of concept art in the Rise of Skywalker art book and various BTS videos, Exegol seemingly only entered the picture a couple of months before filming started. In Abrams' preliminary drafts, Palpatine was actually being resurrected beneath the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, and the First Order Fleet was being constructed in space.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

I truly wonder where the "Jedi Temple built on top of Sith shrine" bit of lore originated from because I remember reading about that in the Tarkin novel released in 2014. Curiously, I think that's where we got Sheev's first name too.

What's funny about Palpatine's first name being Sheev is that it's phonetically very close to the pronunciation of the Irish word sídhe, which is spelled sìth in Scotland.

So his name is just Sith Palpatine.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I didn't see it in there. Isn't that more of a conspiracy thing because Chewie didn't get his medal in ANH?

She also called him a walking carpet while he was helping to save her from the Death Star. And it didn't actually end up in the movie, but the rough draft of Empire had Leia being racist against Lando for being a clone.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Lotta talk about how Star Wars TV has made several KOTOR references wrt the Krayt Dragon quest and the sandpeople lore. But nobody is talking about the Nikto swoop bike gang. First the Black Vulkars on Taris and now these bozos.

There's also the Kintan Kings from SWTOR, which would line up with their gang symbol being a Huttese "K".

They've got little pictures of General Grievous on their jackets and bikes too, so they could be a gang of former Separatists.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Rey was only on the planet for like 18 hours (as much as I love TLJ it was a major mistake to compress things to that degree)

Yeah, the movie taking place over ~18 hours doesn't really jive with what we see on screen.

Day 1 - Rey arrives and meets Luke
Night 1 - Luke inspects the Falcon and decides to train Rey
Day 2 - Luke trains Rey
Night 2 - Rey goes in the cave, talks to Kylo, fights Luke, leaves
Day 3 - Luke dies projecting himself to Crait.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

I was hoping at least one of the swoops would use the design from the Kenner Shadows of the Empire toy line. Oh well, maybe next time.

It's hard to tell in the movie, but the Shadows of the Empire swoop was actually first designed for the Star Wars Special Edition.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, that makes more sense. I was wondering why Grievous would be holding a keg of beer, but it's clearly a big club.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chronosynclast posted:

Lately I've been doing some reading of Legends books that I missed the first time through.

Death Troopers: I'd hadn't heard good things about this one -- it was featured in the "let's read bad Stars Wars books" thread -- but I honestly didn't have that much of a problem with it. It was clearly trying to be a schlocky, B-grade zombie horror story, and it pretty much succeeded at that. I do think it made a mistake by bringing in Han and Chewie, since they're guaranteed to survive and this type of story gets its suspense out of the idea that even the main protagonists might die.

The same author wrote Maul: Lockdown, where he goes to space prison and kills like four people by headbutting them. He's definitely got a genre.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember hearing that Wolverton was a very strong Mormon, at least when he wrote Courtship, which might explain a bit also.

Yeah, he taught at BYU and apparently was one of Stephanie Meyer's instructors. He also claims to be the guy who decided Scholastic would pick up Harry Potter in the US, so he casts a surprisingly long shadow over pop culture.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 18, 2022

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Anyone remember seeing ads for Lucasfilm’s Alien Chronicles in the back of SW novels? I guess there were originally being developed as SW novels about how humans ended up in the Galaxy Far Far Away, before being spun off into its own thing. I’ve been curious about them for a long time so I grabbed them cheap on eBay.

Yeah, apparently when they were under the Star Wars umbrella, they were going to be written by Robert J. Sawyer, who left the project when it moved away from the Star Wars license, and Deborah Chester was hired for the new version of the project, using a similar premise. Ironically, the books that were actually published have no humans in it at all.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Traviss would hate it because out of beskar, no one uses her Klingon language

The armorer was using it to count during her sparring session with Din, which is appropriate since she's the most Traviss-y Mandalorian we've seen in terms of "Mandalore is the goodest best place and everyone else sucks, and that time we all got our asses kicked was someone else's fault".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently "Shadow of the Empire" was actually JJ Abrams' original title for Episode 7 before being told it was too close to the name of a prominent existing story.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The early rumors about the series had it as only 4 episodes, with the extras added when Covid (and possibly Pedro Pascal's schedule) caused delays.

Ironically, the show was apparently referred to internally as Season 3 of The Mandalorian, with most of the new cast members not even knowing they were being hired for a Boba Fett show until they got to set.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I dunno, I think people are definitely reacting to Luke's portrayal - though not in a good way. A friend of mine made a video about Luke's character in Episode 8, and apparently someone left like a 700 word comment yesterday talking about how wrong he was that was prompted by this episode connecting OT Luke to Sequel Luke.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think most people didn't actually read (or remember) the books and just know the character as "Han & Leia's Son turned to the dark side".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

So they're doing a nu-canon version of The Courtship of Princess Leia, and surprise surprise it's a tie-in novel for the Disney theme park Star Wars hotel..

Not that CoPL was a great book or anything, but the stuff it introduced about Dathomir and Hapes was a huge part of the Legends continuity and is still being referenced all over the place, so it's a little disappointing that the story that laid all that groundwork is being replaced with a promo for the inevitable Disney Star Wars Wedding Package.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I have no idea if it was intended when they were filming it, but the Carbonite block accessories released with the Vintage Collection Razor Crest have apparently named Mando's prisoners in the first episode of the series as Rik Duel's gang from the old Marvel comics:

Considering some of the other deep cuts the show's been making I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually what they were going for.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think there's a few stories that deal with it, but it's usually more of a sidequest thing than the main plot.

Courtship of Princess Leia starts Luke out exploring some Jedi ruins, and has a lot of Luke interacting with the Witches of Dathomir for the first time and learning about their traditions.

Dark Empire doesn't really dwell on it in in any meaningful way, but Luke joins Palpatine in that story both as a way to understand why his father might have turned, and to learn secrets of the Dark Side that could help to conquer it.

The Black Fleet Crisis trilogy has a subplot about Luke helping a member of the Fallanassi find the rest of her people after she lies to him about his mother being one of them.

I think some of the Fate of the Jedi books also had Luke and Ben going around and visiting different Force using groups in hopes of finding a way to stop the villain of the series.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

I know the author was a big libertarian dude, but don't know how much of that he put in the books.

L. Neil Smith posted:

My LucasFilm editor was horrified by The Probability Broach and I was ordered to keep politics out of the Lando books, but by the time they were through messing with me, burning up my time and imposing a lot of silly rules on me, I decided that I'd make the books as political as I could until the editors squeaked. That's why Lando is an anarchist and free trader.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think that was J.W. Rinzler, who did official making-of books for the Lucas movies. Some of it was a little sanitized (like allowing Lucas to slip a mention of Midichlorians into transcripts of notes that are allegedly from 1978), but his books are really good on the whole. His making-of book for Episode 3 tracks the entire production cycle and includes stuff like Lucas spending 6 months promising he'll have a script "next week", and Rick McCallum putting fake meetings together with the Art Department so they can try to pry story information out of Lucas about what the gently caress they're supposed to be designing for the movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently the Lucasfilm company gift for the holidays accidentally revealed there's a "Tales of the Jedi" show in production, so maybe they're tying into that?

The High Republic stuff is also still running, and Old Republic era stuff is kind of the closest equivalent from Legends.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The unabridged Hand of Thrawn books (and Fate of the Jedi) were read by Marc Thompson, but the new Rogue Squadron audiobooks are being read by Henry Thomas, so it makes sense that there would be a change in how certain voices are performed. If I had to guess, it probably just comes down to Thompson being a more experienced VA and trying to differentiate the characters more, while Thomas has mostly been working in live-action so might not be stretching as far to make all the characters feel unique

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

When the Solo movie showed the tentacle monster around the Maw, I thought for sure it was meant to be Abeloth.

Apparently it came from a meeting where they were brainstorming things the Falcon could encounter during the Kessel Run, and one of the designers joked "what if they ran into a giant jellyfish?" and apparently Ron Howard liked the idea enough to put it in the movie. So it probably wasn't designed as an intentional nod, but the name Summa-Verminoth definitely has eldritch vibes so maybe Jon Kasdan or Pablo Hidalgo or whoever ended up naming it was thinking of Abeloth at least a little bit.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same but i just wanted him to be in an x-wing or something. like i fine with it but ehh.

Might've just been a scheduling thing. The only other time we see the Falcon's turret is in the opening sequence with Finn, so his availability may have just overlapped with when they were doing that rather than when they were filming other X-Wing cockpit stuff.