Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Anything by Claudia Gray is as good as gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

thrawn527 posted:

I'll admit I couldn't get through her Princess Leia book. Just something about her and young Holdo in the junior Senate bored me to tears. Does it get better? It's still sitting on my Kindle, I just stopped wanting to keep going with it around 1/3 the way through it.

The Leia one is pretty solid, although a lot slower than her other ones. The last third of the book picks up, and sets up threads for TLJ. It still is a lot of politicking, and quite different from her other works.

Master and Apprentice is also a lot of fun.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
One question I had about the old EU was what story was Keyan Farlander part of? I remember seeing him pop up from time to time in the NJO, as a Jedi and a General, and everyone seemed to know him and like him. He seemed like an important side character and someone who had been the star of a book or series, but I don’t remember reading about him.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Rochallor posted:

I think that's the difference between TLJ and NJO. TLJ is setting up potential plot points and conflicts for future movies, while NJO is designed as and should have been the end. I'm inclined to give a little bit of leeway to the post-NJO stuff (but only just a little, cause they really are that bad) because really, how are you supposed to follow that up?

I've never actually read the Legacy comics, and I know they got mocked for having grimdark drug addict Luke, but that seems like the proper way to do a sequel to NJO. Set it way, way far in the future after everybody from the movies has died, except Artoo and Threepio I guess.

I actually really liked Legacy. Like yeah, it was pretty edge lord. But the characters were fun and I enjoyed a lot of the ideas it had. Gar Stazi was loving dope and I enjoyed him punking the Sith at every chance.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Which is a shame, because the early Halo names were awesome. Pillar of Autumn, Truth and Reconciliation, Foward unto Dawn, Arbiter, etc.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Speaking of Star Wars book, when do the High Republic books come out? I’ll need something to tide me over since Mando finished.

Also, cheers to everyone for the Farlander responses. I opened up Star Wars Squadrons for Christmas and one of the name randomized options was Kenyan Farlander.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

The Shame Boy posted:

Recently I've been getting back into reading some of my old legends books that i haven't read since high school (mostly the X-Wing series at the moment) and while i know there is basically no chance in hell that Disney will just wholesale use the plot from these books written back in the mid 90s for the Rogue Squadron movie being made i almost wish they would. They still hold up pretty well even today! (Corran Horn is such a mary sue though wth)

I took a cursory glance at Wookiepedia since i remembered at some point in the book series it jumped ahead a bunch in the timeline and i just 'ed at how much Legends stuff there really was. I thought i read a ton of these things as a kid but it turns out i was very wrong. THERE IS ALWAYS MORE

A shame it seems my collection basically ended with these xwing books though since it seems like the stuff they have already brought back is from around the time i would have been reading these books and playing all the videogames with the Star Wars logo on it. New Jedi Order is when they killed Chewie off right?

Yep, happens in the first book Vector Prime. I still really enjoy the NJO, despite how edgy it gets.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Were the YVH ones the ones that were designed to troll the Vong? Very efficient killers that would poo poo talk the vong in their own language? They were awesome.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Pellaeon rules, but he’s more of an anti-hero than a full villain. He was always the competent sidekick that helped the villains until he decided to take over.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Is that Dr. Doom in the third cover?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Haven’t read Into the Dark myself but I’m surprised to hear that. I’ve loved everything else she’s made, so I wonder what makes it avoidable.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Ganner Rhysode is like Kyp done correctly. Cocky, charismatic dude who’s pretty strong in the force but then gets knocked down a few pegs then actually learns from it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Gotta give a shout out to Rising Storm spoiler Senator Toon for being a grade-A Rational dude. I was expecting Borsk 2.0 but he ended up making some great points and being an overall swell dude. Love to see some more of him politicking.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Is edge of victory Allston’s series? Those two ruled.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
gently caress yeah! She rules. I actually really enjoyed her Into the Dark book, and Lost Stars is my absolute favorite Star Wars book, tied with Stover’s RotS.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
That’s a bummer. The visual guides are so cool, some of my favorite Star Wars books.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Balance point is the one of my least favorites of the NJO. I just remember it being very slow and tedious, with the highlight being Jacen finally doing poo poo.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I actually enjoyed the force heretic trilogy. It was fun seeing them prune the dumber branches of Star Wars stuff like Yevetha and Ssi-Ruuk. Also, Nom Anor is a treasure and watching him scheme and bullshit his way into the Heresy was great.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Fey’lya being an incompetent turd was probably the most realistic part of NJO. Him getting to go out with a bang and blow away a ton of Vong loving ruled though.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Did Zahn ever do an annotated version of Dark Force Rising and The Last Command? I’m rereading his Heir to the Empire one to brush up on Mt. Tannis, and remembering how much I enjoyed this trilogy.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

The Shame Boy posted:

Rebel Stand was pretty good! Han and Leia kinda didn't have much to do in this book but at least their relationship seems to be in a good spot again? So there is that at least! I'm a sucker for any scene with Wedge in it so reading the ending got me super pumped to see X-Wing Jesus himself just go HAM and do his thing was great :allears:

With the way the book and the characters kept describing Lord Nyax I was picturing more of a Dark Jedi Mr.X or Nemesis in my head but once the fighting actually started i went "OH IT"S LIGHTSABER KNEEPAD MAN!" and i kinda couldn't take him very seriously after that revelation hit me. Doesn't help he's yet another character from yet another book that i've not read before so all i could was just enjoy the image of Jedi throwing chunks of buildings at each other and getting flashbacks to Yoda v Palpatine in the senate chambers throwing the hover podiums at each other.

Could you read Dark Journey on it's own without having read Traitor? I kinda want to wait and continue reading in order but sadly the order got delayed until the 15th so i will have wait a bit longer before getting all the juicy plot revelations

Dark Journey and Traitor are two sides of the same coin. They both follow a Solo child following the Voxyn Mission, and end roughly around Destiny’s Way beginning.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Is Death Troopers the one that had the screaming lungs or brains or whatever? I remember that being the one book in the old book thread that actually sounded pretty dope.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

The Shame Boy posted:

I hope it's not an ill omen that the copy of The Final Prophecy i just got came with a huge chunk of the last page torn out of it. :ohdear: The Force Heretic series was a little slow and overlong but overall was pretty enjoyable. Can't wait to see how this whole thing shakes out and then....Bug Time!

The force heretic series always seemed to me like the EU cleaning up loose ends. I agree it was pretty overlong, and would’ve been happy with just Nom Anor scheming for three books. God he rules.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Legacy of the Force is truly godawful, I remember even as a teenager disliking it. The tug of war with Denning and Allston vs Traviss over the plot threads was exhausting. The Legacy comics on the other hand rule. Especially Gar Starzi, the best character.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I’d honestly rather reread KJA than reread black fleet crisis. Black fleet crisis was just so loving boring, besides the Wookiee invasion scene.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Kyp led the militant Jedi in NJO then did some weird mentor poo poo with Jaina before getting his stuff together.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I finished The Fallen Star and I’m not sure what to think of it. On the one hand, I love Claudia Gray’s writing style, and the book flowed from one chapter to another. Once I picked it up, I couldn’t put it down.

On the other hand, it seems kinda strange to destroy starlight beacon already. I never felt attached to it because we haven’t really seen it do anything, or be a part of the story, since it only came online at the end of the first book. Also, while I enjoy Marchion’s little schemes, it would be nice to flesh him out a little. It’s been three books and I still have no idea what he’s doing or why, besides just being a bad guy.

Still very much enjoying the High Republic, but I almost wish they would slow down the pacing, and take some time to flesh out the setting. Or just give me a FFG High Republic setting book.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Chairman Capone posted:

That was what (original) Battlefront III was going to be, wasn't it?

The new Battlefront games are fine for casual play and the single campaign in the second one is also decent (and draws in a lot of stuff from the nu-EU) but it is funny that Star Wars multiplayer peaked in 2005. Also funny that even though the Battlefront name was so notable it was one of the few things to survive the continuity reset, neither version of the game series we're going to get a Battlefront III.

On a different note, a concept artist for Rise of Skywalker released some of his work that hadn't been released before. Nothing hugely new, but does show that the idea of Kylo Ren going to Coruscant from the Treverrow script did survive for at least a bit into the Abrams production: https://jonmccoyart.com/blog/starwars-the-rise-of-skywalker-sketchbook

Those abandoned coruscant images are loving dope. That looks so cool, the idea of a city inhabited by trillions being abandoned is awesome.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
My girlfriend picked me up a copy of The Secret History of Star Wars , after years of wanting it. I think someone, Thrawn maybe, recommended it years and years ago, and I’ve been meaning to pick it up. Very excited to check it out!

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Cross-Section posted:

They actually streamed the THR panel, announced a bunch of books for Phase 2 and more:

I do enjoy the High Republic but it kinda feels unfocused and messy.

The first phase built up starlight beacon as this huge triumph, then immediately destroy the thing. They spend this trilogy building up these characters and relationships and drama, then do a large timejump backwards for the next phase.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

ninjahedgehog posted:

Say what you will about Fey'lya's fail-yas, he went out like a loving boss

His final scene in Star by Star loving rules.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Casimir Radon posted:

It looked like Tales of the Jedi came out. Anyone watch it yet? Kind of disappointed that it looks like it’s prequel era rather than the KOTOR era of the 90s comics.

I finished it and it’s split into two character focused, with a few episodes focused on Ahsoka and the rest to Dooku. The Dooku episodes are fantastic, they help capture why he becomes so jaded with the republic and Jedi order. The Ahsoka episodes were very meh, I’m sick of seeing her in every show. We didn’t need an episode where she tames a tiger as a baby, Christ.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Has anyone read the latest High Republic phase? I enjoyed phase one but when I learned we were jumping back in time for phase 2, it kinda killed my interest. I was getting pretty attached to the characters and enjoying the setting and would’ve rather continued with them.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I really enjoyed the NJO. Like yeah, parts of it are really dumb and overly long, but I liked the overall vibe of it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I think the books following NJO also helped it in retrospect. Dark Nest trilogy was awful, LotF was such a mess of conflicting authors and FotJ was a boring slog.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Best part of Force Heretic is them sweeping away some of the dumber stuff in EU, like killing off the Yevetha and Ssi-Ruuk, and watching Nom Anor continually fall upward by complete accident.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Casimir Radon posted:

Kenobi by John Jackson Miller is your best bet. It’s what the Obi-Wan show should have been.

That book was so good.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The black fleet crisis was Chewbacca’s finest hour. Unfortunately, it also was the only good thing about that series.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
gently caress yes E-wing. Rest of the trailer looks cool but agree that we’re going to need a Lego E-Wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Carrie was such an icon, there are times where I feel I’ve read every funny Carrie Fisher story there is, and then another one pops up, and I’m laughing/crying again.