Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i bid the new moffthread dark greetings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the strangest thing about the later parts of the legends EU was how time, effectively, didn't pass for most characters. han and leia's kids, and everyone else of their generation, are perpetual teenagers in their thoughts and behavior, and scenes like that slipped through as though even the editors had forgotten that tahiri wasn't still a teen. not that it would be acceptable even if she was, but it would be moderately less awful. luke, han, and leia, meanwhile, seem to have taken an immortality serum around age 55 (at the latest) and are of course still bumping around adventuring and saving their silly kids

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

halo lore is uniquely impenetrable because the names are all loving terrible and don't convey any narrative weight. everything has a really portentious sounding name even if it's totally inconsequential

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

pillar of autumn/truth and reconciliation are great names and they aren't at all alike. one conveys a very napoleonic militarism while the other implies either religious fundamentalism (which turned out to be the case) or, much more interestingly, a post-revolutionary society. i won't pretend that all of the later ship names are as good, but they do tend to keep to their themes based on which society built them.

the covenant being really into Virtue Names is also cool and good in theory, but in practice i found it basically impossible to keep track of which character had which abstract name. i think they tried to stick with single-word names to make it "simpler" and "easier" but that poo poo just slides right out of my brain

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

pillar of autumn i'll grant you, because although it sounds like it's named for some obscure war monument it is just flat made up, but truth and reconciliation is a powerful name for an alien ship because it's a term rooted in human history. our recent history, but distant history for the space fascists of the UNSC. it's enough to make you wonder whether the covenant are really the bad guys (they don't do any war crimes in halo 1)

the problem with the names you made up, and similarly the actual names that the later halo writers created, is that they follow the form of "truth and reconciliation" without understanding it. the other covenant ships shouldn't be "virtue x and virtue y" because that was not actually the process used to create the name "truth and reconciliation". i guess when they decided the covenant were religious fanatics they kind of made it hard to extend the implicit theme of post-revolution justice since the revolution didn't actually happen until the end of halo 3

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I also remember really enjoying the novelization of the Sierra strategy game Outpost 2: Divided Destiny, a game which I loved but which I have to imagine no one else remembers.

i must have read that novella a million times as a kid. i've always wanted a spiritual sequel to outpost 2 since it was pretty unique among RTS for its focus on building a functional colony first and fighting second if at all

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

George Kansas posted:

You're posting this in the star wars thread!!!!!!!

I can come up with star wars names right now. Bugg Flubb. Marko Strank. Fudd Rucker.

star wars names are just stupid, not impenetrable. you're telling me you wouldn't remember every detail of the adventures of fudd rucker, bounty hunter

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I think the Ruusan Reformation is still canonical. If not by name, then the fact there was a big war against the Sith leading to their "destruction" (but really Bane) a thousand years ago, the "Old" Republic was crippled, and then changed into the OT-era Republic by Valorum's ancestor. Luceno's Tarkin novel has a lot of that general backstory in it.

Speaking of, I was looking through my bookshelf the other day, and came across my old copy of the Phantom Menace novelization. I have a confession to make: I have a big soft spot for that book. I know everyone loves the ROTS novelization, but the TPM one will always have a spot in my heart. Lot of fond memories of avidly reading it before the movie itself came out, and loving that Coruscant was going to be in the movies. Not to mention it's one of those things where all my friends had a copy too, but I was the only one who had the one with Maul's face on the cover, which is still the best version.

i remember thinking that all of the gungans looked like boss nass, and that it was going to be really cool when they had their big fight against the droids

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lando is always in a quantum state of using decommissioned imperial equipment to mine in some unbelievably impractical location. doesn't matter what you come up with, he's doing it - using star destroyer repulsor engines to elevate a city built entirely from recovered scrap of the death star which sends tie bombers equipped with mining torpedoes to extract chunks of the planet's core? lando has done it, is doing it, and will do it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the 181st couldn't have shown up more often and also remained the most elite tie interceptor squadron in the empire, because wedge is obligated to blow up at least 30 tie fighters whenever he gets into an x-wing

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

just so long as we don't get a callista...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

as long as you can fit a bunch of imperial remnant warlords like zsinj in there i think you could still adapt a lot of the non-han/luke/leia-focused stories from the old EU. i do think X-WIng makes the most sense...they're basically everyone's favorites, and who hasn't wanted to see corran horn (he's so dreamy) on TV?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the biggest misstep in rogue one was killing kyle and jan cassian and jyn

now who's going to save the valley of the jedi???

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Our only hope lies with Jaden and Rosh.

Never trust a stupid poo poo like Rosh.

in new canon, ben solo killed all of luke's students mostly because he just loving hated rosh

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rob Rockley posted:

“NO ONE’S EVER REALLY GONE” is such a pitch perfect line to describe how dumb the plot is. Ian Mcdiarmid was one of the fun parts of the movie, but lol at this Saturday morning cartoon villain Pandora’s box they opened up.

“We killed him extra good this time with Jedi magic” yeah sure see you next Saturday at 10.

E: since this is the book thread, I am aware they did that like twice in the old EU, but also I pointedly didn’t bother reading those back in the day. Something about three eyed clones, but maybe still handled better than the films did?

the EU eventually built a fairly coherent set of rules around the idea of sith ghosts with the implication that yeah, a sith can stick around, but once their ghost is banished they're done

the palpatine stuff pre-dated that but nobody ever brought him back a second time so it ended up conforming to the rules in the end

Chairman Capone posted:

You joke but there actually was an idea during the writing of Rogue One to have both Cassian and Jyn survive by being frozen in carbonite and crashing into Coruscant with the goal that they could then be thawed out for more adventures after Return of the Jedi.

lol that would have been peak star wars. han solo getting frozen: "drat well we have no idea if he'll survive, no one's ever tried this" and then gradually it becomes clear that everyone and their mother has been frozen in carbonite before han was

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 8, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

jivjov posted:

Lando's objections to Han being frozen in ESB, and Vader's own dialog, refer to the "crude" and industrial nature of the equipment, not the procedure itself. Like trying to perform surgery with kitchen cutlery rather than a surgical suite and proper tools

let me have this, jivjov

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

looking forward to the movie about my boy, corran horn

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if you made a clone of ahsoka, which vowel would you double in her name?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the zahn/stackpole/allston universe would be great as a legends TV show. clearly brand it as a totally alternate universe and run with it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

black fleet crisis is probably the most egregious example of "the text says leia is an incredible diplomat but actually she is really bad at it". the whole conflict turns around the new republic in general and leia in particular being really stupid

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

Yeah how old is he suppose to be now? The twins are 16 with Anakin maybe 13/14? With the way he is written and how it says the kids look up to the him i would assume he's in his twenties then? or close to it?

Knowing that HE is suppose to be the angsty self insert and not Jacen is interesting since Jacen himself seems the very definition of rebellious ansty teen Jedi that doesn't want any higher authority MAAAAAAAN fits the bill better.

jacen is also the angsty insert. by the time of NJO, kyp durron is someone else's angsty insert that the other authors have to include because obviously he became a big shot jedi with his incredible force potential and all that poo poo. and yeah i think kyp is like...late twenties at that point?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

How am i almost 100 pages into Balance Point and NOTHING has happened?!

that's how all of the bad EU books are. they just fill the first 80% with a load of waffle and then stuff all of the plot points they were told to include into the last 20%

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

That's good to hear then! I was kinda worried considering the book before that ended with blowing up the world ship cocoon and Kyp Durron trying to justify killing Vong civilians/civilian infrastructure after keeping that fact it a secret from everybody.

Thanks for making us all war criminals Kyp! :thumbsup:

it's the only thing kyp durron is good at

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

So would that be Aahsoka, Ahsooka, or Ahsokaa ?

Aahsookaa

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I was having a discussion with my brother earlier today about the differences between Disney battle of endor and Legends battle of Endor.

So in Canon Rae Sloane rallies what's left of the fleet and withdraws from the battle. Simple enough.

In Legends the Imperial flag shifted twice in rapid order, first after Executor was sunk and then again after Pride of Tarlandia was destroyed. What surprised me was that the flag was moved down from a battlecruiser to the ISD Chimaera. Was Piett the only Admiral present at Endor? It's strange that once the dreadnought and battlecruiser were gone that Pellaeon ended up in charge. Dude was a capable officer, but the order of battle therefore puts him at 4th in line for overall command after Palpatine, Piett and Tarlandia's CO.

Was there really nobody else down the chain of command, or did Pellaeon assume command of the fleet proactively to salvage the situation as best he could?

i seem to remember pellaeon having a flashback to this at one point and basically after several segments of the fleet broke off (ISDs that would later be with teradoc, zsinj, etc.) pellaeon rallied the remaining loyalists more by being the guy who knows what to do than anything formal

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's not really implausible tho imo. the new republic solved exactly none of the tension built up over 30 years of crisis and war by palpatine, or the structural problems that the republic had had for centuries. a stance of neglect toward the rim was just going to inevitably lead to somebody exploiting the same issues that led the outer rim to join dooku, especially since the rebel alliance folded the former confederates into their forces and then did jack poo poo for them after they won.

for all its faults, the legends new republic was not just a retread of the same core-centric governance that hosed up the republic in the first place, particularly since they fought a long post-"victory" conflict with the imperial remnants rather than simply inviting everybody to join up as soon as they seized coruscant. there was effectively a much longer period of galactic deimperialization and active interest in squashing fascists since the pro-imperial core worlds kept fighting (and dying) instead of trying to simply subvert the new republic.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fey'lya is such a weird character. he's basically Leia's Designated Nemesis to give her something to do in her stay-on-Coruscant politician-mom role and the various authors' understandings of leia's character are so far apart that fey'lya comes across as this insane power-hungry politician with constantly shifting positions and ideology whose sole consistent character trait is that he doesn't like whatever leia is doing at the moment. stackpole's depiction is probably the only one that has no relationship to leia as such and is more about just making fey'lya the troubling "dark side" of the rebel alliance/new republic coalition which our boy corn horn can virtuously condemn as he flies around in his cop x-wing

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 30, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i'm shocked that the author who loves writing about Hard Men making Hard Choices is right-wing

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

tatooine ghost is pretty good. it's unusual for an EU book in that it's set in the bantam era but written to link to the prequels, and also unusual in that han and leia's relationship is front and center without being dysfunctional, weird, or rapey

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ScottyJSno posted:

I am sitting with my 9 year old Japanese son in Japan building Lego Star Wars like you do, and he out of the blue asks me in Japanese...

"What is Palpatine son's name again?"

I am thinking from Rise of the Skywalker. So I say I don't know. My son says,

"No, the guy with three eyes."

I stop stunned. And say "huh?" My son continues...

"With one eye on the back of his head."

I stammer "Triclops?"

My son's face lights lights up, "Yeah! Trioculus was the fake one with the Moff."

Mystified as to where my son learned this forbidden knowledge in Japanese in Japan, I asked him...

"I read it in a book from the school library."

So school age children in Japan have access to Bantam era Star Wars character encyclopedias that have been translated in Japanese. :psyboom:

one of us, one of us, one of us

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

snoke is a clone of plagueis, why would he have three eyes

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah i guess he's technically a weird palpatine clone but he looks more like a weird muun clone and it'd be an extremely sheev move to clone plagueis to be his lovely puppet sith

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hiding from the death sentences he had received, Evazan infiltrated a biofarm on Thannt and stole a pluripleq, a shape-shifting creature, and used it to disguise his face, taking the name "Lopset Yas." "Yas" was soon imprisoned by the Galactic Empire in Accresker Jail, becoming a member of their expendable fighting force in a squad with Chelli Aphra, who nicknamed him "Flopso."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

as someone who never read any of the young jacen/jaina/anakin stuff it was very weird when characters from those books became very important during NJO and afterward. i thought they were new characters that had been retconned in for the longest time

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

Finally finished Force Heretic: Refugee, and of all the books in the NJO, this is definitely one of them.

Like it's not particularly bad as these things go; most of it is generally fine on its own terms, with a few highlights and a few really corny things (so many exclamation points in the narration!). It's just the most filler book so far in the whole series, and everything feels like it's spinning its wheels for the whole book. The Bakura plot is fine, if predictable, and the idea of checking in on the old Bantam plot lines might be interesting in theory, but it really doesn't need to be a whole book and feels miles away from the rest of the series up to this point. The Unknown Regions plot is a little more interesting; I always like checking in on the Chiss, and the idea of Zonoma Sekot as a wandering legendary planet that just appears in a system for a few years and then vanishes is genuinely cool, but most of that plot is basically about looking through a library, and those neat moments are spread very thin across it. Nom Anor's plot is the best of the three, because Nom Anor is great, but again nothing particularly happens until the very end.

Overall this feels like a book that was written to meet a publishing quota, like they reached the end and realized they didn't have enough books to fill all the spots on their schedule. And the timing of it in the series just makes it worse; two books ago we were getting some epic space opera in Destiny's Way and the series felt like it was launching its way into the endgame, and now everyone's just puttering around to kill time. I'm interested in seeing where these plots go, and of course looking forward to The Final Prophecy and especially The Unifying Force, but this is really the point when the series should be building momentum and in this book, at least, it just isn't.

Also why is it called Refugee? Were there even any refugees in it?

checking in on bantam would have been a lot more fun if they'd had like, waru show up and eat a bunch of vong imo

vong show up and are like "what the gently caress, a crystal star??? and some kind of...planet of twilight???" and then they get eaten

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i mean it's luke han and leia. since the very first EU book there's been absolutely no tension at all when they get into danger - chewie's date with a moon was, i guess, intended to inject some stakes back into the EU by indicating that characters aren't invincible just because they were in the movies, but basically none of the authors really tried hard enough to make you feel concerned for the big three.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah crucible isn't awful. take out the ship called ship, etc etc and it could have been an average bantam-era book

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

does nucanon dash rendar still wear tires on his shoulders???

this is very important

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

Geeky Star Wars Book Thread:It's Too Complicated For A Normal Person To Follow.

Star Wars Book Thread: Jar Jar lacks Chewbacca's complexity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So what's the general consensus on the Disney EU versus the Old EU? I know the old EU got super-convoluted by the end, my impression of Disney EU is it's on its way there. Just from the comics alone it feels like they're trying to cram too much inbetween the OT movies. Am I off the mark or is that the general sentiment?

the old EU's quality had higher peaks but also infinitely deep valleys filled with bugs and goo monsters