Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
So what is this new sector of the galaxy that is being added in the novel? I read through the article, but it doesn't actually appear to mention anywhere despite making it seem like a bigger deal than the novel being exclusive to chinese-speaking readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
They did later retcon Vergere into secretly having been a Sith all along though, basically labeling everything Traitor was about as evil.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Speaking of covers, I remembered how awesome the japanese edition covers for the thrawn books and the NJO were. It's a shame they never reused them elsewhere.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Bringing it into the new canon would probably require quite a bit of rewriting outside the main plot, as the game is full of reference to other stuff in Legends that collectively nails down the origin of the Sith pretty firmly. That's stuff that Disney might not be interested in bringing over as is.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Really hope they revamp the gameplay though, every time I think about another runthrough I remember how tedious and boring the combat could be. Even just making it more like The Old Republic would be a huge improvement

Fun fact; under the hood KotOR combat is literally just the 3rd edition D&D rules from Neverwinter Nights that they adapted the engine from.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 9, 2021

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

The Shame Boy posted:

Also going through this whole series so far and knowing vaguely that Jacen goes on to do bad things later on in life i was wondering how this whiny, broody, flippy floppy Jedi kid was gonna end up becoming that and OH LORD is this whole series and especially this book a good reason why he might have some grievances!

As reviled as it is, Dark Nest does contain brief but important pieces of background for Jacen's eventual fall.

DARK NEST SPOILER: In the 5-year timeskip between the NJO and Dark Nest, Jacen basically wanders the galaxy, mastering unique techniques from all the obscure Force-using traditions that are neither Jedi nor Sith (but apparently without really committing to their tenets, instead just quoting them when convenient. Why any of these traditions would agree to teach him anything is a mystery). My read was that acquiring all this knowledge and capability was the point where his ego started massively inflating to the point where he thought himself capable of always coming up with the best solution to a given challenge.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah. Bastila's role in the game was originally supposed to be filled by Vima Sunrider, the daughter of Nomi, but Jeep had 'Sunrider' trademarked and that was apparently enough to scare Bioware off having her in any major role.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Arquinsiel posted:

That was a stylistic choice to have them all "dressed old" as if they would actually be flying space sailboats while wearing sandals. They did a similar thing with one of the Darth Bane comics where everyone used swords and bows instead of lightsabers and blasters.

I liked the JJM KotOR comic series' take on it, which tried for a blend of the games and TotJ, where technology was Prequel-era like in the games, but fashion, architecture and vehicle-design amongst those of wealth evoked some of the sword-and-sandals feel of TotJ

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Rakghouls were basically zombies by another name, yeah. The big Vector era-crossover even explained it to originally be some ancient Sith Lord's project to create an army of mindless minions. Straight-up zombie plague meets necromancer raising undead armies.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Anyone got any idea why Disney isn't so hot anymore on making their Star Wars comics in-house through Marvel?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I never realised until now that the backstab chart that's been floating around was not the final version...

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I think the 'True Sith' empire may be the source of the confusion there.

TOR establishes that in the wake of the Great Hyperspace War, the remnants of the original Sith empire fled into the Unknown Regions to rebuild a new Sith empire there.

1000 years later, Revan and Malak later came across this True Sith empire in their fight against the Mandalorian crusade, were turned to the dark side by the Sith emperor, and sent back to wage war against the Republic as a vanguard for a coming invasion by the True Sith. Revan and Malak broke free from the will of the emperor and established their own Sith empire in known space, before being defeated again.

300 years later, the True Sith finally invade, reclaim Korriban and a chunk of the outer rim, and TOR starts some years after that with the galaxy in state of cold war between the Sith and the Republic.

Later, it's discovered that the Sith emperor secretly also founded another empire out in the Unknown Regions, which uses a mix of Sith and Jedi aesthetics and is set up as a third-party for Sith and Jedi to ally against in the finest of MMO traditions.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 24, 2021

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
There’s a certain charm to the idea that the Star Wars version of antiquity is told in an antiquated style

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

If Luke was 18 in ANH, and 22 in ROTJ, and this is 15 years after ROTJ, he's 37 at this point. Han and Lando must be getting close to mid-40s or even near 50.

In Legends, 60 famously became the new 40

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Casimir Radon posted:

Reception of BOBF has been mixed, but at the very least it probably makes Traviss really mad.

I'm not sure why Traviss would be mad. Between The Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett, they've been weaving in a significant chunk of the world-building she did around them. The Death Watch basically takes its major themes from what Traviss portrayed all of Mandalorian society to be like and act like they are the only true Mandalorians just to hammer it home. Whatever you think about the author, she managed to make a lasting mark on how the Mandalorians are portrayed, even in the new canon.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 2, 2022

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

bunnyofdoom posted:

I didn't know that Padme was Luke's Father. Man that scene in ESB was weird

Ah, you missed the Darth & Droids edition

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I have a vague memory of a scene in which Boba stops by to talk with Skirata while carrying baby Boba in his arms and mentioning something to the effect of it being part of his own fee for working there.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Considering how many independent stories of the Death Star plan heist that the Legends version consisted of, Rogue One could be slotted into Legends seamlessly, I suspect.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

OhFunny posted:

Interesting because when I type Sister into the search and select Sister (clone trooper) it brings me to this

The actual page is also in the search results as the top result, so it's not necessarily malicious. I'm not 100% sure how the wiki software works, but if it builds up the search result index from internal links among other things, all it takes is somebody slipping a link to Sister_(clone_trooper) into another article without checking what the actual page is named.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember back in 2016 there were fake listings that went up showing that Denning had been hired to write a new trilogy in the post-ROTJ Disney canon and I am so glad that, for all its faults, the new Disney era has remained free of both him and Traviss.

It’s kind of funny that while Traviss herself seem to be effectively exiled from the franchise, The Mandalorian draws prominently on details of mandalorian culture that are recognisable as originating in her books, even if they are altered and reframed a bit in Disney continuity

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Belsavis getting namedropped, I'm guessing

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
He's currently listed as a Creative Executive at Lucasfilm, so pretty much, yeah.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Chipping in on the subject of 'Burned out on Star Wars EU', my interest faded during the Legacy of the Jedi series when it became clear that it was turning into the Troy Denning Literary Universe with a small cast of rotating guest authors trying to fit their own stories into the slots they were given.

Still, I'd take that over what the sequel trilogy has turned the distant post-RotJ canon into. That whole mess has effectively poisoned the well for me, and I prefer learning as little about what happens beyond what I know already, just so I more easily avoid the feelings of disappointment I get from thinking about it. If Disney doesn't want to jettison the sequel trilogy entirely and have a do-over, I hope they just quarantine it and focus their post-RotJ stories on the first couple of years after Endor, like the Mandalorian, or the distant future where events will have ceased to hold any relevance.

Beyond all that though, my biggest lingering hope for the new SW canon is that Disney will one day properly delve into the ancient past of the setting and go crazy with the aesthetics. I always loved the sword-and-sandals fantasy meets space travel aesthetic of the Fall of the Sith Empire comic covers.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 2, 2023

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The NJO had a lot of stupid moments, but overall it really managed to sell the whole conflict as an actual galaxy-spanning crisis rather than some villain-of-the-week that the main cast defeats during a weekend trip.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It's been ages since I last read it, but I have good memories of Star by Star. It kind of predates Denning's slide into everything terrible about the post-NJO EU, so maybe I can just disassociate it effectively.

I agree that it can be a bit of a slog, but part of that might just be because it's absolute whopper of a book, size-wise, and also because the main narrative in it, the Myrkr mission, is intended to come across as a harrowing journey where the objective seems to slip ever further out of reach as they go.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
iirc the little force sensitive kid that the fake jedi people smuggler is meeting when Obi-Wan finds him was supposed to be Corran. I can't remember if he's actually called out by name in the scene.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I hope the Dawn of the Jedi movie borrows from the aesthetics of classical antiquity like the Tales of the Jedi comics also did, but my expectation is it's probably going to look indistinguishable from the Old Republic as it looked like just prior to the clone wars. God forbid that Disney makes a Star Wars movie that isn't 90% visually identical to the prior movies.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I occasionally had a peek at Traviss' blog back when I was young and stupid and the only thing she had written yet was the first two Republic Commando books, and what I remember of it is that she simultaneously seemed to hold a huge reverence for the military seemingly stemming from her days as a defense correspondent, while also having zero faith in civilian government (her living in England, this is somewhat understandable). And she was online, a lot. She was probably already on that trajectory, but it couldn't have helped that her work being as polarising as it was left her essentially at the center of her own echo chamber.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Gavin never became a Jedi in legends. You might be thinking of Keyan Farlander, another X-wing pilot turned Jedi

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Dawgstar posted:

How old was Jaina supposed to be in the Vong stuff and NJO? It felt like they kept trying to go for 'bubbly teen' for probably longer than they should have.

Jacen and Jaina were 15 years old at the start of the NJO, iirc. That'd make them about 18 or 19 at the end of it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I bailed on the Legends EU midway through Legacy of the Jedi, and only have the vaguest understanding that Abeloth was some kind of Eldritch Force Horror, but all this makes them sound like just another lover of Luke's, just with a big jealousy problem.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

OhFunny posted:

I've never heard of that last one.

iirc it's a companion novel to the Knight Errant comic series that ran shortly before Disney bought everything. It's set in the timeframe leading up to Darth Bane creating the Rule-of-Two, so the galaxy is just mass-chaos of Sith Lords fighting both against the Republic and each other

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
This does make me wonder just wtf their plan was for Revan once they woke up from the coma. Why'd they have them on a battleship going to Taris rather than just keeping them in whatever secure place they presumably did the mindbender on them at?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Lucasfilm nixing deeper exploration of Tusken culture in KotOR is almost certainly just to avoid Bioware stepping on the toes of the script writers for the movie, and any excuse they gave would just be to avoid leaking that the Tusken Raiders would show up in the movie. Pre-production on KotOR started in 2000, and filming on AotC began later that year, so Lucasfilm would have known with certainty early in pre-production that the movie would be using the Tusken Raiders.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Basically just Top Gun, But In Space, comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It's not like "fire everyone associated with the old regime and ban them from ever holding positions of authority again" has turned out to be a good solution either when it has been tried IRL, and the end-result that the new Star Wars EU and sequel trilogy depicts (a counter-insurgency seeking to re-establish the old regime) is pretty much exactly what some of those attempts preceded, so it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference if the New Republic had gone that way.