Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah that's the one thing I think we can all agree on, Tem is a beautiful man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Agreed. For all of NJO's (let's face it, many) flaws, at least it was trying something new. It wasn't just "Oh no! Another Imperial Superweapon!" and it let characters other than Leia, Luke, and Han do stuff. But the EU should have ended there (Well, Legacy was ok because it actually dealt with the fallout of the NJO, rather than basically just returning straight to the status quo the way the novels all did).

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Yeah, Legacy was a bit silly but I still liked it. Legacy Vol II was shaping up to be pretty good, but it ended abruptly when Dark Horse lost the licence.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

This must be what it's like listening to us Star Wars nerds talk if you've only seen the movies (it's amazing, don't take this as a passive-aggressive post trying to make you stop)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Someone can do a Let's Read of the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri novels, and we can debate the theological implications of the Doom books.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Maybe it's also Sheev

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I got the TPM novel at least a week before the movie opened (in New Zealand at least) and I remember being totally perplexed when the first scene wasn't Anakin podracing on Tatooine.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Does he have stairs in his Jedi temple?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

To be fair, the first Darth Bane book was fine. It's the rest that were terrible bullshit.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I'd highly recommend the Art of Rogue One book for those who want to get into just how many ideas were discussed in the making of the movie.

I really like all of the Art Of books they've released for the new films, they're a really good look at what might have been. Plus the art is just great.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

But who is both cool AND handsome enough to play him?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Well I guess Chris Evans is looking for work again

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

It was the only game I ever managed to get my parents' surround sound to work with, and that was a phenomenal experience. One of those teenage gaming highlights that nothing else will ever live up to the memory of.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I always thought Star by Star was one of the highlights of the NJO, and so I was kind of excited to read the Bugnest Orgy books when they came out. Then I read the first few Legacy novels. Then I was never excited to read a Denning book ever again.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I agree that it's combined probably a big hint of where they're going, but I really hope it doesn't turn out to be Thrawn Trilogy but with everything changed so the TCW/Rebels cast takes the place of the OT cast from the books. Ahsoka instead of Luke, TCW clone troopers, Hera instead of Bel Iblis, etc.

So would that be Aahsoka, Ahsooka, or Ahsokaa ?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Wasn't Bastilla originally meant to be a Sunrider until there was a lawsuit with... Jeep? Maybe?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I also found a first run copy of the 20th Anniversary Edition of Heir to the Empire in hardcover, the one with the annotations, that I never got before, so that's cool. Reading it now.

The only downside of Disney Old Yeller-ing the EU was that we never got the rest of the annotated Thrawn Trilogy

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Oh, it happened a lot longer ago than I realised. Guess I'm confronting the rapid passing of time and my own mortality this morning.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Jazerus posted:

it's very funny to imagine kyle katarn just sitting around passively while all of the exar kun shenanigans are going on

"Hey, Kyle, should we help?"
"No, Horn, I wanna see where this goes."

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I dropped off the comics after Kieron Gillen left, and that seems like it was the right call, drat.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I only ever read the first YJK book, and it was when I was 7 and had the flu for the first time in my life. The writing was pitched about perfect for that exact situation.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

You can't spell Luke Skywalker's Lost Hand without SNOKE

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I don't know how to deal with a live action Star Wars show being genuinely great, and not just Good-by-Star-Wars-Standards

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

In some weird indictment of my brain, I dreamed last night that I was explaining the old EU to someone, and woke up with the horrible realization that the gap between the beginning of The New Jedi Order and now is longer than the gap between the release of A New Hope and the beginning of the New Jedi Order.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/DelReyStarWars/status/1633939097046622209?t=7EfQ7T0GF5ZtkHuv2ddNNA&s=19

Some good authors on this one, should be fun.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Emma Mieko Candon wrote the tie in novel for a Star Wars Visions short.
Max Gladstone and Amal El-Mohtar are some of my favourite writers so I'm very excited for whatever they do. Saladin Ahmed is pretty cool too.

General Battuta posted:

Aww man they didn't ask me back :(

This was a bad choice, your story in the last one was great

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 10, 2023

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I'd love to read it too!

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 4, 2023

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Awesome, thank you! Looking forward to reading it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I saw this story on Tumblr and don't remember seeing it in any iteration of this thread, so for anyone who like me hadn't heard it before:

Tumblr posted:

Every who pays a certain amount of attention to Star Wars knows this story already, but I was lucky enough to hear it recounted first-hand last year, so I’m gonna give it yet another retelling.

So The Husband and I were at Sci-fi Weekender (a British based annual Sci-fi and Fantasy convention) last year, and one of the guests that year was Kevin J Anderson, one of the very notable Star Wars Expanded Universe writers. During one of the events, a quiet little interview in a cafe on the event site, he fielded a question from an audience member about what it was like to write for a franchise like Star Wars which often had lots of cooks working on one broth, and he had the following to say (wording recounted as best as I can from memory):

“So in one of my stories, Han Solo, he, he travels to this asteroid planet called Kessel, which is where a lot of Spice comes from, these Spice Mines of Kessel, and I got to really describe the effects of this Spice, this terrible drug and the addiction and all this and before publication I get this call, I get this call from the lawyers, and they say “Kevin, you say in this story that Spice is a drug, you can’t say that, you can’t say that Spice is a drug”, and I say “What? What do you mean it’s not a drug, of course it’s a drug”, and they say “Han Solo used to smuggle Spice, and you cannot, let us be clear, you cannot imply that the Hero of Star Wars used to be a drug dealer”. And I just stood there, at a loss for words, and I eventually said “So what is it then?” and they said to me, very sternly, “It’s a food-additive”. Now, now obviously this is ridiculous, and I won’t back down, and they won’t back down, and none of us will back down, and the book is very close to getting pulled, which I don’t want because I worked hard on it and they don’t want because they already paid me the advance, and eventually, with this great air of superiority they say “OK Kevin, we’ll take this to the top. WE’LL TAKE THIS TO GEORGE”. And they go to all this trouble, this was a long while ago when such things were not so easy to arrange, they go to all this trouble to set up a conference call with all of them and me and with George Lucas and they say “George, Kevin is trying to say in his new book that Spice is a drug, it’s a food additive, tell him it’s not a drug, George”. And there’s this long silence on the other end of the line and eventually George says “It is a drug, though. It’s, it’s a drug, it’s a food-additive? What? Of course it a drug, it’s space heroin, what else would it be? What?” And that was then end of that.“

Is it true? I dunno, but it made me chuckle anyway.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Calista disappearing for 31 years only to be killed by Abeloth ~75% of the Post NJO EU sure feels like a dick move that served no purpose.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

"Y'ever wonder why they called him Wormie?"

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I genuinely can't wait to read this.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Honestly, if they want to make that a plot in Andor Season 2 then it would fit right in.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

It's a real shame that BF 2015 wasn't particularly good, because I don't think any other Star Wars game has ever nailed the aesthetic of the original trilogy nearly so well. It's the only one I remember where blaster bolts exploded into ridiculous showers of sparks on contact, and all the blasters are clearly WWII surplus with bits bolted on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011