Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

I couldn’t find it! If anyone has it, I’d love to put it in the OP, so it’s easy to find moving forward.

And yeah, that’s a good point about Bloodline. I’ll add that in later today.

Also, the only thing I'd add or make a minor correction to is recommending the entire Wraith Squadron trilogy plus Starfighters of Adumar, as all the Aaron Allston X-wing books were really good.

EDIT: Oh, I'll recommend the Essential Guide to Warfare from 2012 as something that was really cool. It's basically presented as an in-universe history of all the major conflicts of the Star Wars universe, both the films, books, comics, and whatnot of the old EU, and does a really good job of hitting all the high points while skipping the bad ones (Like Darksaber!). It's got some good art, and includes lots of little stuff. The author of it, Jason Fry, has also done short stories in both of the From a Certain Point of View books focusing on Red Squadron stuff, if you're a fan of X-wings and stuff related to that.

And from the new canon, the first Battlefront novel, Twilight Company, was pretty good. It's by Alexander Freed, who has also done the Alphabet Squadron books, and I think the infantry unit it focuses on showed up in the second of those books as well.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yub yub, commander.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I remember I, Jedi also being one of the few books to explode the idea that not all Force users have the same control or abilities with it. IIRC, Corran basically had zero ability at telekinesis or some of the physical aspects Jedi are shown doing, but he was very capable at projecting visions or ideas into other people's minds, which gets used a lot in the back half of the book. I reread it a few months ago and enjoyed it well enough in spite of it's flaws. The weirdest thing about it is that it's written in first-person, which takes some getting used to if you're coming into it from other Star Wars stuff such as the highly related Jedi Academy trilogy.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Angry Salami posted:

Corran Horn's a loving cop.

With a well documented history of loving too!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
The only problem I have with Mercy Kill is it is, chronologically, the second to last book of the old EU before Crucible. I read it without doing any of the Legacy of the Force or Fate of the Jedi series, so jumping to that is... tricky. At a minimum, you'd have to have some working knowledge of the New Jedi Order, since Allston has two books there (Rebel Dream & Rebel Stand) and the Wraiths in general show up in one or two others, plus some of the insanity that happens after that too. It is a good book and if you like the Wraiths or Allston's style (As I did), it's very much worth the effort, but it requires a more background (Semi-regular consulting of Wookiepedia or a solid reference book like Essential Guide to Warfare) to get the sense of the setting than other Wraith books set back during the pre-Thrawn era.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Traviss' first Republic Commando book, Hard Contact, is pretty short and solid. However, reading it after all the insanity came out, it's kinda clear where she'd take a bunch of the Mandalorian worship insanity in later works.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Jazerus posted:

star wars names are just stupid, not impenetrable. you're telling me you wouldn't remember every detail of the adventures of fudd rucker, bounty hunter

Only if Fudd’s brother Frostee is also involved in the adventures.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

This is worse than bug nest orgies and people falling into piles of used syringes.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yeah, IIRC there was a pretty good interview with him and Michael Stackpole from some panel that I think was posted in the previous thread that went over how the decision to kill Chewbacca came about, and some of the stories of the reactions to it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Chairman Capone posted:

Baron Fel himself is kind of odd in that outside of the last few volumes of the X-Wing comic, he doesn't really appear in any stories. He has a cameo in one of the Crispin Solo books, and I think one or two of the NJO books. So the character casts this long shadow that's basically bolstered by references and sourcebook stuff but his actual appearances are almost nil. Kind of like Thrawn in that way, actually, at least before the endless Thrawn prequel appearances.

Actually looking it up now on Wookieepedia, the 181st Squadron itself is not really in a lot of stories, which surprises me. I feel like I remembered them showing up everywhere in the old EU.

Yeah, looking at it myself, it surprises me as well. Granted, the books where they do show up (Or more often, get mentioned) include the Wraith Squadron books, and they weren't invented until 1997, by which point a good amount of the old EU set during the years shortly after RotJ was already written and things would soon be swinging toward the prequels and the NJO.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Jazerus posted:

just so long as we don't get a callista...

Don’t tell Harrison Ford.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cross-Section posted:

The whole thing is laden with pain and emotion and pew-pews and I could not be happier with how the trilogy as a whole turned out.

I just finished it myself, and this is the best summary of it and the trilogy as a whole. Freed has definitely become one of my favorite authors in the new EU, as I’ve enjoyed all of his stuff that I’ve read.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

jivjov posted:

That's what we've heard so far. So either First Order mop up, or whatever the next enemy in the forever war is.

Where did that come from? I thought everything we heard so far was vaguely saying “moving into a new era” or something that could be taken to be either moving past episode 9 or just the nature of the movies and whatnot. I don’t recall it being explicitly stated yet that it’s definitely going to be set post-Rise of Skywalker, but I haven’t kept up on every rumor related to it yet since it’s still over 2 years away.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
She also had an OT-era helmet and I think flight suit as well, for whatever that might be worth.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Jazerus posted:

looking forward to the movie about my boy, corran horn

It’s gonna include him hooking up with a Selonian.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
The thing that makes me not buy into that idea is Satine had light blue eyes while Omega has brown eyes that are very close to the same as all the clones. I’m leaning into the idea others have suggested in the TV thread that Omega is a female Jango clone, maybe with more changes other than gender.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Casimir Radon posted:

Look like Amazon took down Heart of the Jedi. I was thinking $10 wasn’t a big deal for a silly little piece of Star Wars history, but I guess I waited too long.

Whew, I got lucky. I ordered mine on the 8th and it got here today, saying in the back it was printed on the 9th. I suspect it might have been taken down before, as when I got mine it didn't pop up if I included "Star Wars" in the search.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Chewbacca is always alive through the Force :wookie:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

McTimmy posted:

The Bounty Hunter WARS trilogy. Because just adding Wars makes for a completely new and non-easily confused title series.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, the return of waffleimages images means the Terrible Books thread is no longer horribly broken! That means you can track the wall of backstabbing as it grows!

Or just bask in its full, completed glory

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
The Slave I name was also used in the Shadows of the Empire game from ‘96 (And probably all the other stuff from that line) and IIRC it was something that was already well established by then too.

efb with other stuff

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

ScottyJSno posted:

I am sitting with my 9 year old Japanese son in Japan building Lego Star Wars like you do, and he out of the blue asks me in Japanese...

"What is Palpatine son's name again?"

I am thinking from Rise of the Skywalker. So I say I don't know. My son says,

"No, the guy with three eyes."

I stop stunned. And say "huh?" My son continues...

"With one eye on the back of his head."

I stammer "Triclops?"

My son's face lights lights up, "Yeah! Trioculus was the fake one with the Moff."

Mystified as to where my son learned this forbidden knowledge in Japanese in Japan, I asked him...

"I read it in a book from the school library."

So school age children in Japan have access to Bantam era Star Wars character encyclopedias that have been translated in Japanese. :psyboom:

Palpatine: “Good. Good.”

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Casimir Radon posted:

*Drops Darksaber on the floor in front of him.
“Oh wow, how did that get there?”

If you’re trying to make a kid miserable, go with Planet of Twilight or The Crystal Star.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Chairman Capone posted:

Not a bad haul. JAT has a lot of its critics, but I think it's fun, and also kind of important in the EU scheme of things. Also, parts of it got used in Solo. It's also interesting that both KJA and Johnson specify that Luke starts both of his new Jedi Academies with twelve students.

As a warning, you might want to also get Zahn's Specter of the Past, it's the first part to Vision of the Future.

Seconding all of this, particularly the need to get Specter of the Past before diving into Vision of the Future. Those two books basically serve as a cap to that era of the EU before the NJO started, so keep that in mind when deciding what order to read stuff in.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

I also found a first run copy of the 20th Anniversary Edition of Heir to the Empire in hardcover, the one with the annotations, that I never got before, so that's cool. Reading it now.

The annotations are very cool and really insightful for a bunch of things and it makes me sad we never got them for the rest of the trilogy.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Xenomrph posted:

Hey I’m talking Star Wars books on a discord server and I remembered the Bounty Hunter Wars betrayal flow chart, can someone do me a solid and hook me up?

It’s in the OP.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Casimir Radon posted:

Someday I’m going to make an interactive version of that chart with page numbers and footnotes and stuff.

May the Force be with you in such an endeavor.

Jazerus posted:

that was the bit when fett, bossk, and zuckuss were all stuck in a ship together right?

i think it's the only scene i even vaguely remember aside from kuat of kuat plotting in his office and balancesheet screwing over kud'ar mub'at

Off-hand, I think I recall the fight with the Shell Hutts being kinda cool when I last read those books, which was probably well over a decade ago at this point.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I believe the X’s are all people who died.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Xenomrph posted:

Like, at all? Because I’m pretty sure Xizor wasn’t killed in the Bounty Hunter Wars, unless the trilogy overlaps Shadows of the Empire.

The whole trilogy is actually telling two linked stories, one set between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back (Which is where Xizor and some of the other stuff come up) and one set during Return of the Jedi after Fett got out of the Sarlacc.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Do the Dark Horse Rogue Squadron comic series cover most or all of the Rogue Squadron books? Because I see they're about to release an omnibus of basically Rogue Squadron issues 1-35 here https://organicpricedbooks.com/products/star-wars-legends-the-new-republic-omnibus-vol-1-hc-lauffray-cover

The Rogue Squadron comics tell a completely separate story from the books.

The comics are mostly set in the period shortly after Endor and basically cover what the squadron does in the first year after the battle.
This eventually includes stuff like Soontir Fel defecting, the battle of Brentaal IV, the fall of Sate Pestage and Isard’s rise to power. IIRC, Stackpole did most of the stories for the comics, so a good number of characters from later novels show up.

The novels start off about a year or so after the comics (2~ years after Endor), when Wedge decides to fully rebuild Rogue Squadron for the first time since Endor. The novels occasionally make reference to events of the comics, but usually provide any details needed to understand them. Really only the 8th book, Isard’s Revenge, relies heavily on some of the comics (Essentially, Volume 3 of the old Dark Horse omnibus) for back story and a number of characters.

That said, I read the three omnibus collections of them a few months ago, after having very limited exposure to them in the past, and enjoyed them. If you like the X-wing series, you’ll enjoy them.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Or all the insanity at the Jedi temple on Yavin that gets retold in I, Jedi, or Wedge dating the alien weapon designer lady, or like 90% of Daala’s madness.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Casimir Radon posted:

Zahn was able to give all the main characters something to do and thus a lot of the 90s EU book tried to do the same thing, but not as successfully. The Black Fleet Crisis is probably the worst example since the three main plots have nothing to do with each other, and both tertiary plot lines have incredibly unsatisfying endings.

VaultAggie posted:

I’d honestly rather reread KJA than reread black fleet crisis. Black fleet crisis was just so loving boring, besides the Wookiee invasion scene.

Having reread the Black Fleet Crisis not that long ago as part of a long running reread of much of the EU, yeah, they're mostly a slog. The actual fleet stuff is interesting to me, but that's at best like a third of each book and everything else is meh at best (Luke's whole plot wasn't great then and aged like milk once the prequels came about).

For all of the criticisms of KJA, and a lot of them are well deserved, I feel the Jedi Academy Trilogy are at least quick reads that move along for the most part. Compared to a lot of the other 90s EU stuff (Black Fleet Crisis, Children of the Jedi, Planet of Twilight, Crystal Star), where those books just drag and drag and drag.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

General Battuta posted:

Shatterpoint stayed with me p. good :mad:

That, Darth Plagueis, and the Episode III novelization are good. I also liked the MedStar duology.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
They’ve only done two episodes so far, but I’ve enjoyed them a lot. The most recent episode (Not a big thing but putting it in tags anyway) had a part in Tosche Station with Fixer and Camie from a well known deleted scene from A New Hope, which continues the high level of “heh, they brought that back!” that Mandalorian had with a lot of stuff like the troop transporter and other odds and ends.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Clearly the most useful thing to ever come out of a Kevin J. Anderson book :dadjoke:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Rochallor posted:

WHAT

EDIT: I'm starting to think something needs to be done about all these so-called "reference books."

Yeah, Hobbie’s death in the new EU was confirmed in the second From a Certain Point of View book. It’s slightly made up for by the story it’s from, Rendezvous Point by Jason Fry, being very good and having a bunch of references to the old EU and old version of Rogue Squadron, including a bunch of pilot names and histories as they rebuild Red Squadron after Hoth, plus Janson being a joker, and a veiled reference to “Yub yub commander”.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Xenomrph posted:

Hobbie ain’t dead in MY canon, and that’s the only canon that matters :toughguy:

:hmmyes: Can’t argue with that.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Arquinsiel posted:

Treating thee as canon is one if the things that drives me nuts about Wookieepedia as applied to the Disney era. It's literally an equivocation dodging the fact that Kenobi flat out lied to Luke because George didn't care about retconning stuff for impact. It's shorthand for "you're about to hear some bullshit".

…uh, okay?

The books are still pretty good short story collections and the second one has one by a goon author as well. For stuff that is basically modern takes on the old Tales collection books, I enjoy them quite a bit.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean, almost since the "war ends atJakku 1 year after Endor" timeline was established in 2015, it's basically being revised back. The Mandalorian still explicitly has Imperial warlords five years after Endor, and I think there's at least one book that talks about Imperial splinter groups years after Jakku.

If anything I think the current take is the central Imperial government collapses/goes into the Unknown Regions after Jakku, but there are still plenty of independent warlords leftover from the Empire, like the later Bantam era.

It’s not that the Empire ceases to exist after Jakku, it’s that the war with the New Republic ends. The New Republic than disarms pretty quickly after that, so the central conflict from the OT is stopped much more quickly and definitively than the old EU, where they were still heavily engaged for years after Endor and IIRC don’t formally end hostilities until ~10 years after Endor by which point the Empire is a fraction of its former size and strength. I don’t think the new EU has the same level of warlord stuff or just general action after that, although the Empire is still around and causes issues as seen in Mandalorian and whatnot.

This really makes me want to reread the Hand of Thrawn duology, which I’m very close to in my now almost two-year reread of most of the old EU leading up to it. Just got to see if I can stomach the Corellian trilogy or not…

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is it wrong that I loving love the Thrawn Ascendancy trilogy?

I just finished the third book over the weekend and I really liked it. I’d love for him to get back to that Chiss setting at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I don’t know about a full novel, but I’d definitely read a short story about elementary school Thrawn defeating his enemies on the playground by luring them into a trap in the sandbox based on their finger paintings and use of glitter glue.